What is it like going from 3 kids to 4?

I have two boys and a girl, all under eight, and I think I may be pregnant. I’m terrified because we have a three-bedroom one bathhouse and one five seat vehicle since my husband and I are on opposite shifts. Our house is almost paid off as well as our car, and we didn’t plan on upgrading (we like having a simple life). I just want some advice on what it’s like to have four kids vs three and what I can do to make the kids’ rooms more comfortable if I really am pregnant(I have both boys and a girl). I know I will have to upgrade a vehicle, and that is fine, but we really love our home. All advice is much appreciated!

39 Likes

When I found out I was having my last baby, my dad was hammering on something, and without missing a beat, he said, what s one more running around here? Once baby gets here, you will never be able to imagine life without them.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What is it like going from 3 kids to 4? - Mamas Uncut

Just love them all !! The rest will come together. We had 4 !! 1 boy , 3 girls

3 Likes

My Grammy said 3 to 4 is night and day…she wasn’t wrong​:woman_shrugging: I have no advice I was too busy trying to keep everybody alive to remember :laughing::woman_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s pretty easy I have 5 kids but all boys we have a 4 bedroom. I’ve always kept the baby in my room until 1 then they’ve gone to their room that they sha er e with a sibling . Bunk beds make it easy :slight_smile: one big tall dresser so those in one room share which allows space for them to play in their room as well. Good luck mama

1 Like

I have four girls they are now grown but I think 4 was easier than 3 to be honest

1 Like

It’s like having one more kid

3 Likes

Hope and pray it’s a girl so you can put the boys and girls in separate rooms, if not you will have to make more space as it won’t be fair on the kids when they’re older if they have to share with a sibling of the opposite sex

the more kids the merrier. seriously. the bigger ones will help out alot. believe me

2 Likes

Keep the baby with you until it sleeps through the night.

1 Like

No difference actually. I did get a bigger vehicle (suv) but other than that nothing changed. Kids shared rooms until my oldest was 15 then we bought a bigger house and our youngest 2 still shared a room for a few yrs after.

1 Like

Double up on kids in a room. We had3 girls in a very small room

1 Like

An extention. Bedroommoght be in order :slight_smile:

Hard!! Not gonna lie 2 to 3 was so easy for me, but 3 to 4 was hard. I think it’s because I had a 6 and a half year age gap between 3 and 4 so was hard going back to it again. I’m not trying to scare you. Just my experience. Hope all goes well mama you got this :+1::heart: xx

1 Like

It was a super easy transition for me. I have two boys and two girls. The girls share a room with two twin beds. The boys have a bunk bed. I had an SUV that would fit them all but I upgraded to a mini van and it’s has been amazing for dropping off and picking up the kids at school.

We have 4 kids and own a 3 bedroom. All of our girls share a room (3 of them, king size bed I’m practical and our family is tall I wasn’t wasting money on bunk beds) and our son has his own room.

If you aren’t pregnant get a tubal ligation.

1 Like

Hope for a girl…problem solved they can share a room when the time comes. Until baby is old enough just make the nursery in your room where you can be sure baby is safe at night. If it’s a boy you’ll have to invest in bunk beds for the older boys. Worse case scenario add a small addition on to create a bedroom.

We didn’t notice a difference from 3 to 4. Business as usual. Just plan ahead like I assume you already do with 3.

2 Likes

I don’t have kids but if you’re concerned about the room space try bunk beds​:smiley::smiley::smiley:

1 Like

First, don’t stress out until you know for sure if you are expecting another child. Second, if you are as long as the house if full of love space will always be available. There was a time when my husband, me, and my 4 children (3 boys 1 girl) were in a 2 bedroom apartment and we were fking happy as can be. We were uncomfortable at times but we made it work. You will always find a way, as parents, that is how we are made.
Depending on how the rooms are set up or the size of the room there were ways they can be arrange to appear and be spacious for all.

3 Likes

House was an old farm house one bathroom and six kids. it worked
Sometimes having four kids is easier. Wait and see. Good luck

You think you might be pregnant? :thinking:

1 Like

Going from 3 to 4 was not that hard. 4 beautiful blessings!

1 Like

I have 4 girls ranging from 13-2 yrs we live in a 4 bdrm house the older 3 girls have their own rooms and the 2 yr old has a bed in my room . We have a 5 seater vehicle which has worked for us so far since hubby works over nights but will be getting a new vehicle in the next week or 2

As a mother of a large family, 3 is the most difficult. You only have 2 hands. It will be fine. Start with a portable crib and when you know what you want and need, you will get what fits your needs and budget. Too many people go out and buy something that doesn’t actually fit your needs :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

About the same as 3 kids more love and dirty clothes

I have 4, the transition from 2-3 was harder than 3-4

You don’t even notice​:joy::joy::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

We had a one bathroom, 2 bedroom cottage. We had one teenage boy and a baby on the way. When the baby came my husband’s other 3 children moved in with us. Try 4 teenagers ( 1 girl), 2 adults, and a new born boy. We used the basement, & the dining room as bedrooms. It was an old house where one room connected with two or three more, there was no privacy, no electric dishwasher ( I had 4 energy savers, just had to feed them). AND one bathroom that was on a schedule. The original owner raised 5 or 6 kids there so it can be done.

Have you considered expanding the house as in an addition?

All you need is one more toilet and addition room consult a carpenter

Give a cat a bath, put a diaper on it while still wet, repeat… it’s a wild ride.

You did the right thing, trust me. The rule of three is a real theory. :laughing:

You find the way, more money, more work, more more more, ?

Bunk beds, a bed with a trundle. I came from a family of 8 kids! We had full size beds and shared them. We only had one Brother so he had his own room. My Dad added a second bathroom. One for him and my brother. One for my Mom and seven girls! It will work out. Maybe you will have a girl!:blush:

1 Like

Not much of a difference

We have 10000000 kids. Ok-5. They bunk bed and share. So far-all 5 and still going strong and better for it.

Why not figure out if you are first but not a lot of difference

1 Like

We have 3 kids and 3 bedrooms. Our boys share and our girls will share when I have her in a few weeks. Not right away but after 2 years girls share boys share. Bunk beds will be a must to save space but we are ok with this

2 Likes

It’s just an extra bowl at the table after three.

6 Likes

Honestly, it was no different for me going from 3-4, 4-5. My first 3 are one right after another ( 13,12 and almost 11.) and then I have a 5 almost 6 year old and 3 year old. We have a 4 bed, but technically only using 3 of the rooms as bedrooms and kids have bunk beds.

You’ll be fine. Mine were older when we had our surprise 4th, so, for me, it was basically like starting over, but the transition wasn’t difficult.

1 Like

Bunk beds and if you can afford it, look into adding a restroom. 1 bathroom for 5 ppl😵

1 to 2 was a bit to learn how to handle. 2-3 was a major change for our family. But 3-4 didn’t change much at all. Once you have 3 you might as well have 10, it’s just chaos all the time :rofl:

2 Likes

4 was no harder than 3 for some reason :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

a friend of mine a few years ago unexpectedly became pregnant with twins…her and husband just bought a new home few months prior to better fit them and their 4 kids. the husband walked out of the doctor’s office without saying a word. having another one was doable for him but having twins was more than he bargained for but they made it work. they’re 2 now.

1 Like

I wouldn’t really think about that until confirmed that you are pregnant

1 Like

Bunk beds. Trundle beds. Cube storage for clothes and it’s much more doable. I had 4 in a 3 bedroom 2 bath that was around 1,200 square feet. It’s doable and the good thing is that once the toys and baby stuff start going away it’s much easier. I did upgrade houses to a 4 bedroom and I’m sure happy I did. About to upgrade again to even bigger 4 bedroom and super excited. Point is that you make it work regardless. Good luck!

My parents had 4 boys and one girl. We usually lived in 3 bedroom house and luckily 2 bath
The boys had 2 sets of bunk beds. I was in a room by myself. Remeber the Brady Bunch 3 bedroom 3 boys 3 girls. At least until Greg tirn the attic into bedroom. They did ok. You make it work😀

I have 3 girls and 4 boys & we live in a 3 bedroom 2 bath home, 2 of my girls share a room with bunk beds, my 2 oldest boys have bunk beds in their room & their 3 year old brother has a toddler bed in there as well, and we have a boy (age 1) and a girl (1 month) that both have cribs in our room. It’s really no different going from 3 to 4 though! I felt like it was harder going from 2-3 than any of the others!

2 Likes

3-4 was nothing and 4-5 was easy. Going from 2 to 3 was wild though haha

1 Like

It’s not much different. We have 6. Bunkbeds are great

I know someone has 5 kids! One bunk beds n a twin in 1 bedroom and 2nd bedroom 2 twin beds or bunkbed. Depending on boy n girls sharing. Hope this is helpful. Good luck and congrats!

Really, the only difference is the fact that when they get older none of them wanna share a room and finding a house u can actually afford for them all to have there own room is near impossible unless your just filthy rich.

I had 6 children… We live in a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom row home.

I had four kids, it wasn’t bad at all once you get adjusted to it,three girls and one boy,I had the girls share a bedroom and my son had his own.

Having 4 is like having 3 and as for the bedrooms, same sex kids just have to share

They make triple bunk beds now.

Would you be able to add an extra bathroom to your house?

go make sure u are pregnant before worrying the what ifs. I’ve seen ppl.make it work .

2 Likes

Not much difference at all. Bunk beds work great. You’ll be fine.

My 2 boys beat up the youngest all the time, also a boy, born when my then youngest was 4.
Other than that it was fine, the youngest I am most protective of.
My oldest was a daughter
Sleeping, the youngest slept with me. He had his own room but I didn’t use it.

Bunk beds! We have 4 kids full time & my hubby’s sons when we can get them. 3 bedroom 1 bathroom house.

2 Likes

No need to get another home.Make an extra room and bathroom if you want more space

1 Like

Honestly after three it’s the same really don’t over think it three was the hardest!! Once you get that down it’s super easy

1 Like

I’m sure you can work it out.i was raised in a 3 room no bathroom
There was 4 girls an d one boy.we survived just fine.oh yes no car walked or took bus to the next town

Sellers market, sell that house and find a bigger one. Sell that car and get a bigger one- nothing is simple anymore bc you have a small army

Once you get past 2 kids it really doesn’t matter anymore​:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I just had my fourth in April. It’s really all about getting into a routine though. Which we were able to do in about 5-6 weeks time. We upgraded to a mini van last year when we found out we were pregnant. We also only have three bedrooms. So we are eventually in a few years selling and buying bigger. Well because we’ll need it as the kids get bigger

everything is possible… you can do it :muscle:

2 Likes

Would you be able to expand on the house?

Get a test done before worrying about all that crap and if u are you make do. Baby can go in your room for a year and then u use bunk beds. Honestly once u know if u are pregnant and even find out the gender u will find the room and make it work

4 Likes

Times have changed so much!I shared 1 bedroom with 4other brothers and my 5 of my sisters shared another :heart: MOM & DAD should have know n what caused them :broken_heart: .3bedrooms and A 2 seater outhouse.

1 Like

After the third child the next just blend in whether it be one more or five more… if you can handle three fine, the fourth will be a breeze :joy:

1 Like

I have five!! Just hang on and enjoy the ride.

1 Like

It will not hurt the kids to share a room!

3 Likes

I have 4, 2 of each. They have bunk beds and share their rooms, so boys with boys girls with girls. They love it, it’s like a sleepover every night haha

1 Like

Get bunk beds or loft beds, toy organizers and shelves. Mount tvs to the walls and get rid of any unnecessary items. After the 1st year you guys should all fit in the house fine. As far as the car you will need to upgrade. But bonus is we get that extra tax money this year. That could buy you your bigger vehicle and all the things the little one would needs. I just had my 4th 9 months ago and it’s really no different than 3. I found it a little easier because I had been through it 3 times before and the older kids are great for helping out with things.

Having three is statistically the hardest to deal with. Four or more is pretty easy

2 Likes

It was hard going from 2-3 but not 3-4

Our fourth is nearly six months old. Older kids are 3, 5, and 7. I feel like 4 is easier than three tbh. There’s not a huge difference, though. I did have to upgrade from a Prius to a van which was the biggest hit for me lol. We live in a two bedroom one bath, Ikea low loft turned into a bunk for the big kids with an Ikea crib turned into toddler bed for my 3 year old, and baby cosleeps with me.

Get yourself a pregnancy test before you start stressing yourself out!!

2 Likes

I have 4 kids. Grown now. I’ve always only had a 3 bedroom house. Baby can sleep in your room for a couple years then 2 kids per room. Tax time buy a van or 3rd row seat suv for cash. Once you’re past 2 kids it’s really easier. The worst part is when they grow up and move out.

3 Likes

Get a test done befor you start worrying the boys or the girls can always share the same room…

1 Like

I have 4(19,18,15,13)It is easier going from 3 to 4 then it was going from 2-3.I will say,get a routine down.

Not much difference in 3 kids and 4. I raised 4 daughters. Since you have sons and a daughter, I’d suggest bunk beds for the boys room… futons and couches that turn into a bed are nice too…

We are going from 3 to 4 ages 8,7&3
8&7 year olds are both boys. They each have their own rooms upstairs(it’s more of a furnished attic style rooms one big room but separated by the stairs they each have their own side. My daughter (3) has the main bed room. We did away with our dining room turned it into the living room & made our living room into our room. Baby will share a room with us and the eventually have to room with her sister until one of the boys move out :sweat_smile: our living room was “boxed in” in the front of the house by stairs so it has 4 walls with one door so it was super easy to turn it into a room.
1 bathroom also it works okay. We also have a sedan(almost paid off next year) but unfortunately keeping that as our only vehicle is now out of the question. I’m a stay at home
Mom and my husband does the working so going to get a 3 dow suv at tax time and trade in too. I alway drop him at work(15-20 mins ride) & pick him up so I can have the vehicle while he’s working

I wouldn’t stress before you know. And I’d you’re not I’d look into getting fixed. It sounds like you’re done with having kids. If you are the baby sleeps in your room for a while so you don’t need to do anything and you can put the toddler bed in your room as well. But they make room dividers bunk beds etc.

I’ve 8 kids 6 under 6 lol we used bunk beds in our old house we now have a big 4 bed so it’s made things easier x

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What is it like going from 3 kids to 4? - Mamas Uncut

Kerrie Louise Wilcox

1 Like

I have 4 kids. I LOVE IT! :two_hearts:
My kids ages are 8, 6, 1.5 years, & 4 months.
We have 2 boys 2 girls. Both boys share a room. Both girls share a room and then we have my and my husband’s room.
We still need to upgrade our vehicle.
Yeah, it may get hectic at times but what family doesn’t? I love our little family. :heart:
Embrace all of the love. And congratulations if you are! :two_hearts:
Once you have a routine down, everything will fall into place. It takes time just as everything does.

2 Likes

I guess I wouldn’t worry about “might” be. You either are or aren’t ….

1 Like

I have 4 kids my oldest turns 5 august 17.

The jump to 4 was super easy for us compared to the jump to 2-3.

You don’t notice much of a difference especially if the rest are all younger when my youngest was born my oldest 9 then we had 8 and 5 so starting over was a little hard but he finished our family

I must have been unlucky cause the jump 3-4 was a nightmare :rofl:

1 Like

No matter what advice you may receive, your family will make it by which works best for all of you. One, two or even ten kids just do what you and your husband feel in your heart that is best for your family !!! It sounds like with 3 kids you guys are nailing this thing called parenthood with all your accomplishments so far. Just breath and embrace Mama !!! You got this !!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Same as having 0 to 1 or 2 to 3…