What should 3 year olds know?

Hey ladies. I was just curious, what is normal for 3 year olds to know? My daughter can count to 10, can say her abcs recognizes some of the letters (used to know almost all of them but I accidentally let it go on the back burner and she’s forgotten a majority) she knows basic shapes, and is starting to be able to count backwards from 5. She’s starting preschool in October she’ll be 3.5 by that time and I don’t want her to be behind and feel embarrassed.

6 Likes

She will be ok. As long as she can follow basic simple instructions, know her basic colors and can hold a pencil correctly she should fit right in. Even if she is a little behind the teachers will catch her up quickly.

Work with colors. My daughter when she went in was 3 and she knew all her colors, abcs, count to 10 forwards and back. Her teachers were impressed also if you can start teaching her how to write her name

That is plenty! If you want to focus on something I suggest selfhelp skills. Putting on clothes/shoes, coats…wiping her own bottom, opening juice/ lunch items, knowing your phone number. And maybe name recognition- but that will be taught.

2 Likes

Girl, your good my 5 year old can’t do all these things. I’m not a good teacher for things like this. I can teach them to cook, which my 9 year old can make a meal on his own and my 5 year old is just starting to help in the kitchen. I can teach so much but not school stuff.

I’m a preschool teacher in Texas. Preschool guidelines state a preschooler should know (by the end of the year) 50% (26) of uppercase and lowercase letters of the alphabet, shapes, colors, number line to ten, rote count to ten.
**in my personal opinion-sounds like she is on the right track mama!!

1 Like

Colors and shapes are good to know at that age.

Also, preschool is not about mastery. Guidelines are there but it is more of a social/emotional setting for children to prepare for kindergarten and school in general.

3 Likes

Some other ideas to work on could be eating with the correct utensils, drinking from an open cup if she doesnt do that yet. Animal sounds, sharing, taking turns and some of the more social/emotional aspects

1 Like

Be happy all kid not as advanced. Some just pick up faster

Don’t worry about it. At that age my kids were counting to 100, doing sight words they knew colors, shapes etc… Unfortunately after learning all of that information I learned that I forgot the most important thing. Social skills :roll_eyes::thinking:

1 Like

I teach 3 year olds. Your child is all good. They learn by watching you. So just read, sing, and learn during your everyday tasks. Your child is not behind by any means so try not to stress too much.

1 Like

She wont be behind, quite the contrary, she’ll be ahead for the most part. Good job mama, that’s awesome :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Honestly, you’ll be surprised what she actually knows. Especially in the school setting.

Im a preschool teacher i have 14 3 1/3 and 4 year olds your doing great mama. Socializing is the biggest thing to learn at her Age even in kindergarten.

2 Likes

I’m still trying to teach my one year don’t bite people when you get mad n sleep in your bed sounds like you got things down packed

3 Likes

She is doing really well.

Wow that’s alot more than what my 3 yr old knew. My daughter is 4 almost 5 now and still thinks 8 comes after 5 🤦🤦🤦 :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Sounds real good to me! I have a three and a half year old and she knows how to spell her first and last name I can recognize a lot of letters. She can also count to 20 and can recognize and draw a lot of shapes and has known her ABCs for a while

Sounds like she is very smart i wouldnt worry

Depends on the child. My daughyer could read small words by kondergarten. My son, who was in daycare/preschool, wasn’t interested.
If you work on basic things:
Colors, shapes, numbers, letters… She’s going to be fine.
My sons kindergarten teacher told me that she could always tell what kids had parents who helped or did extra at home bc they’d be ahead in certain areas.
As a parent who has dealt with the public system for years, with several kids, some parents don’t care. They don’t do anything at home.
Just the fact your worried means she’s going to be ok. :green_heart::green_heart:

1 Like

Believe me when I say some stsrt kindergarten and can’t do abcs.

Write First name by Tracing.

There are work sheets you can print out that show letters as animal prints to color in, shapes to color, there are also lots of puzzles you can make or buy

1 Like

That’s great. Work on colors and reading books to her.

1 Like