What should I do about my daughter coming home with a black eye?

My daughter came home from school yesterday with a black eye, she's in 3rd grade, she told me a little boy was swinging his head around and headbutted her in the face. She told me he was apologetic about hitting her and didn't mean it. But do I still report it to her teacher? I understand kids are clumsy and stuff, and I genuinely don't think he did it on purpose or she would tell me. But I don't know if school staff needs to make note of the incident or not?
20 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum.

If its an accident then I don’t see why it would need reported? X

7 Likes

Personally ,I’d double check. I don’t see a.problem going in and just asking. And making sure.

You should report it yes as an accident and your little girl should have been sent to the nurse. In my opinion

8 Likes

I would have called the school right away to see what was going on. My 5 year old has already been told by another 5 year old he was going to shoot her in her head… you never know. Today’s society is horrible

2 Likes

They should’ve called or reported it to you some how!!! Report it to the school, I know my kids school hates to see me walk in the doors :joy:

3 Likes

As support staff, it should’ve been reported. I mean if it was clear it caused a black eye.

1 Like

My child came home with a black eye as well and not one person can tell me why, I made a report and everything still no answers, that was two months ago.

The teacher should have noticed and reported it to you. I would definitely mention it.

3 Likes

If she’s good and she said he didn’t mean it. It’s good that he was apologizing Accidents happen with kids sometimes. If he’s feeling bad already why go make him feel worse. Id just let this one go. But that’s just me

There was no incident report? Weird. Normally even accidents would be filed on an incident report(so and so fell off the jungle gym and hit their head. Ect) two children colliding should still be recorded.

5 Likes

Feel like the teacher would already know, being as it happened at school…

2 Likes

I’d be at the school today. The school should’ve notified you and I’d be demanding to know why they didn’t… Any injury shoukd be documented, even accidents.
The fact they didn’t is suspect to me.

5 Likes

Accident or not the teacher should have made a report of it and told you.

1 Like

If you’re concerned I’d report it just so they’d have it on file incase it happens again but I wouldn’t want the little boy to get in trouble this time.

Even if it was an accident, it is the responsibility of the school to report it and to let you know what happened. I’d be furious if one of mine came home injured and had no explanation from the teacher.

2 Likes

I would report it even if it wasnt intentional, just to have record of what happened. The school should have called you to let you know what happened… my son cut his finger (nothing a bandaid couldn’t fix) the other day and the school was blowing up my phone and left VM then called my husband to tell him what happened but also reassuring him that our son was ok.

1 Like

Is be asking why they hadn’t mentioned it to you but surely they would be aware of it themselves so no need to report… I’d be ringing up and asking how it happened etc though x

2 Likes

I would want to know why the teacher didn’t report it to you…

3 Likes

I would still request an incident report, accident or not

just to have a voice from another POV …sounds like it was reported to you by your daughter .3 grade is not primary they are able to relay information and explain situations and scenarios. She told you in full detail and explained she was aware it was a accident, Do you want someone to call you everytime your kid makes a mistake or has a accident or do you want them to be able to come tell you and learn work out problems and obstacles with said child/children/situations . example 2 kids running in a field your kid accidently trips the other . Do you want your kid reported and a incident report filed on their education record against you child for said accident? kids play they bump bang and bruise and accidents happen. So you’ve never accidentally bumped into someone in shop bar park or restaurant? should you have been reported to management? or did you apologize and continue on your day ? I’d touch base with treacher of course, but I wouldn’t make a big deal out of a accident or expect a report against kid done on it .

9 Likes

Please don’t. Your kid told you what happened, the other kid feels bad and apologized. Trust your daughter and let it go. What would happen if someone talked to your boss every time you apologized for a mistake? Kids need these types of interactions to build problem solving abilities; if you second guess their solutions and go over their heads, it destroys their confidence. You did the right thing by asking her, letting her tell you and now just let it go.

9 Likes

Yes it should be reported cause if they think you did it to your daughter it would be reported and you’d be in trouble

2 Likes

So sounds like your daughter said it wasn’t intentional she’s in 3rd grade so can probably comprehend things properly. I would take note on my phone with the date. Just in case something else was to happen . Usually at my child’s school the teacher always lets us know about incidents in class even if it’s a scratch. Maybe have a conversation with her of why she didn’t let you know either. Let her know it would help create misunderstandings like that one.

3 Likes

Yes I would definitely talk with the teacher

Report it just to make sure that it’s noted. Tell them that she is okay and the little boy was really apologetic but you just wanted it noted.

2 Likes

The teacher should have definitely reported it to you. When I was in the 10th grade a guy was messing around in the hallway and punched me in the face. I had a really bad black eye and the teachers and guidance counselor thought that it happened at home. Thankfully they were able to see what happened on camera. I would call and make sure they knew it happened at school, you can definitely let them know you believe it to be an acciden.

You need to report it immediately and do your own investigation. I was dropping my child off for care and witnessed a little boy trying to choke a little girl after a disagreement. He looked like he was trying to kill her so these kids are crazy. He could be abusing her, a personality like the guy Gabby petitio was in a relationship with. She could be getting abused by him and afraid to say anything

1 Like

It should be on record to be on record, not even against the little boy but for the what ifs and to save the questions.

1 Like

The school should have notified you. Accident or not your child was hurt and an accident form should have been completed . Contact the school and complain

2 Likes

No.
What?
Why would you report a child for it being a legitimate accident. Children are clumsy. I’m more than positive a teacher had seen it happen and/or asked her about it and was cleared up.

I don’t know why everyone thinks a report needs to be made, unless you feel she’s hiding it. If you think it’s truly an accident, leave it alone. Don’t be so uptight.

7 Likes

Report it !!! She had a black eye . A lot of kids nowadays call things that are intention accidents . :woman_shrugging:t5: I would let the teacher know , because it could happen again . I’m baffled at how many people don’t want to know .

1 Like

Why didn’t they report it to you??

2 Likes

I wouldn’t “report” it per say, but I would reach out to the school. Teachers are dealing with a lot right now, as is pretty much everyone. I’m sure if the boy was swinging around enough to give your daughter a black eye, she most likely cried and the teacher most likely addressed the issue. It may be on her list of things to do to call you and make you aware of the situation. I have a elementary and middle school aged kids and there has been some issues with both of them. They have come home the same day and told me what happened and it’s taken the school a day or two to make notification.

Well since Black eyes don’t immediately form its possible the reason why you weren’t notified was because it wasn’t black while in their care. I would just send a message asking if the teacher heard about it by asking. Not demanding action be taken until there is more information. If something happens with my boys I just ask the teacher if they knew and then I also ask them to watch the kids and their interactions for a while just to make sure nothing is really going on. Not everything is going to be seen! My sons kindergarten class has 25 kids and 2 adults in there and still things get missed. It’s just not possible to watch every child at every second! My boys also know how to handle these situations they have been taught to work it out with the kid and then if it gets worse to tell an adult. My boys usually tell me first but I then let them know I appreciate them telling me but remind them that they can always tell their teacher or a Para. Unfortunately it’s not always possible for the adults to catch everything.

2 Likes

It sounds like an accident. I would leave it alone.

3 Likes

I think the only thing you need to call about is questioning them as ro why they didnt notify you.

5 Likes

The school should have notified you of the incident before you even saw your daughter. Accident or not.

7 Likes

I would ask the teacher if theyre aware. Let them know you and your child legitimately believe it was an accident. Just let the teacher know just in case it happens again with another child or something similar and the other parent doesn’t believe their child when they say it was accidental. Its easier to figure out what happened on a repeat occurrence if they know the facts. It probably won’t even be mentioned to the kids as long as you let the teacher know you just wanted them to be aware and that you know and your child knows it was an accident.

1 Like

Report it. The child wouldn’t get in trouble but if you don’t let them know they could think it was done at home

the school should have called you this is unacceptable

3 Likes

Everyone saying the little boy won’t get in trouble is wrong. My child had tripped over someone’s shoes it was an accident. Guess who got suspended for tripping yup my child. Why bc the parents called complaining it wasn’t reported their precious child’s foot was tripped over. This 100 percent could get this child in trouble. Maybe call about you not being informed of the completely accidentally head bump. Leave the other child’s name out of it.

3 Likes

What is to be gained by reporting it? Was it intentional? Could it need medical attention? Does your child possibly need counseling?

Report it I would hate for your child to go to school with a black eye and the teacher contact cps thinking you did it. Just to cya you never know. Only so the incident is written down.

3 Likes

I would call and ask why you weren’t informed of your kid getting hurt that bad. It may of been unintentional but she should still be informed.

9 Likes

I am bafgled by people saying to leave it alone, almost angry…
its not being a tattle tale lol jeez. 2 reasons this child could have these accidents regularly by no fault of his own or otherwise . 2. If it was hard enough for her to have a black eye then it was hard enough for his head to hurt . Injuries being reported to the school should be a thing.

4 Likes

My brother accidently head butted me once when we were playing and i ended up with the nastiest black eye, it doesnt take too much of a hard knock to the brow to cause a black eye so personally i wouldnt make a big deal as it was an accident and he did say sorry, but i aint gonna lie i would be annoyed the school never rang, they should have rang and told you after it happened…

3 Likes

Report it for what?? It was an accident and he apologized. Leave it alone.

5 Likes

Hes apologied, nothing else needs to be said on the matter

1 Like

I would report it lest they think it happened at home

1 Like

There’s literally no point reporting it :roll_eyes:

1 Like

They will think it came from home if not reported… my son was in pre k and while his incident didn’t happen at school but at home he ended up getting a black eye with stitch’s and you know what caused it … ( fucking shower)… he was running away from a bug in the shower while the water was running and he slipped and fell hitting the metal trimming for the shower door… anyways he was took to the Er… I had documentation of getting him medical attention… next day he went to school. They questioned him, they accused me or hitting my son even though when I dropped him off, I gave the documentation to the school… but was still accused of harming my son. But yet my son can get hit or fall at school and it’s not the school’s fault at all…. My son has had 11 concussions since the year 2021 started and all but 3 have happened at school. So that’s 8 concussions the school should be responsible for …. But to do with the pre k it wasn’t until the big guy questioned that I was believed.

Report that shit. If you don’t and somebody sees it you could get blamed. Those of you saying not to are shitty parents and don’t care about a CPS case evidently :roll_eyes:

The school should have made an incident report and let you know about it

11 Likes

Why wasn’t it reported as an incident through the nurse as an accident ? No one saw it happen? Didn’t your girl want an ice pack?why didn’t you call when she came home like that? If I wasn’t notified I would’ve called the school immediately and asked questions. 1 to make sure that other kid was ok, 2nd to make sure if anything happens in the future that I’m notified and 3rd she could have seriously been hurt and no one knew that’s kinda odd.

8 Likes

Did this happen on the way home on the bus? I’d have to assume so, otherwise a teacher should have noticed it and notified you. If it happened during the school day, the nurse should have seen her to check that every thing was ok, or at the very least applied an ice pack to prevent potential swelling. I’d definitely contact the school. I would not name the child who did it, because if it truly was an accident, you don’t want to inadvertently get them into trouble.

1 Like

Wtf. So ppl are saying not to report it not a big deal?? What if the teacher never knew this even happened and she calls cps saying this little girl came to school with a black eye?? Do people now think of things like that? :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

I would contact the school and ask why I wasn’t notified of the incident. I’d be annoyed they didn’t tell me about it.

4 Likes

Yes. Incident reports are supposed to be done by school staff anytime a child is injured, whether it’s by accident or not. I would go in and report it. It’s not necessarily to get the other student in trouble, but they are supposed to keep record of injuries and such that occur on school property.

3 Likes

You have to report any incidents that happened at school…your child was under their care. Its not for putting the child in trouble but it has to be documented esp, since it was a serious accident.

Definitely report it!!

I would just let the teacher know so that she can correct the behavior so it doesn’t happen to someone else.
My 1st grade boy got punched in the eye by a 6th grade boy on the bus and the school said they disciplined the boy but he’s still on the bus. The little boy stares us down every morning and when they get off. Its been over a week and his eye is bruising. At first it was just really swollen and stayed swollen for a week.

I would just make the teacher aware of it but I wouldn’t file a full formal report on the matter unless it happens again with the same child.

2 Likes

Accidents happen. The boy apologized.

5 Likes

I’d be raising hell. Don’t even care. My kids have dealt with bullying where it’s been attempted to be swept under the rug until I fought it. No matter what it should be reported and I be notified at the very least.

1 Like

Accidents happen but she report it .

3 Likes

Report it just incase the teacher didn’t see it happen and thinks the child got it at home and calls cps

4 Likes

Yes report it…you should have been called when it happened

4 Likes

Why report it… Shit happens you whiny clowns

I think you pretty much know the answer to that. There is nobody to blame, therefore no reporting needs done

1 Like

Everyone saying the school should have called…maybe they didn’t know!?

1 Like

Why were you not notified??

3 Likes

Should have been sent to the nurse and parents should be called, accident or not

I’m so confused
Why didn’t your daughter dodge him if she saw him swinging his head around?

1 Like

Should be incident report reported to you. If not than not good school

If you report bad school

I’m sure her teacher is knows already

1 Like

It should’ve been reported by the school when it happened. Any head injury is supposed to be even if it’s accidental. That’s for the schools benefits not your daughters. I only know this because my son had repeated very weird accidents in kindergarten. Everytime he had to go to the nurse even though he protested, I was called & a report was written. This is in case of concussion or if it becomes more serious than initially known. It documents what was done so you can’t go back later & say they ignore a serious injury.

In your case I’m concerned that this isn’t an accident. I know first hand how schools cover up bullying. They intimidate kids to lie. I’m expirencing that right now. That’s got to be a serious head butt to cause her s black eye. It wasn’t an accident. Go to the school & report it. Make them aware that you know this is going on. More importantly teach your daughter that if anyone including authority figures tell her to lie thats when it’s most important to tell the truth.

Definitely report it. What if the school questions where she got the black eye from?? Also, what if something similar to this occurs again with the same child…Definitely worth reporting, even if there was absolutely no malicious intent

1 Like

I’d call and report it to them. Just so they know and they don’t try to blame you and start a mess.

I would he needs to be more careful

Yes you need to report it. In this day and time it can be turned around and you could be blamed for it. So yes report it.

I would call the school and question why your daughter has a black eye and no school administrators called YOU! That’s unacceptable in my book.

1 Like

I would report it so they don’t mess around and call CPS on you thinking it happened at home.

Not sure how they wouldnt have noticed or why they wouldn’t call you but I would talk to a teacher, even if it was an accident and no harm no foul.