What should I do about my kids cavities?

I feel like ive failed so bad when it comes to my babies teeth. We had a dentist app today and I was told my almost 4 year old has 5 cavities from me not flossing them. They want 2 do a crown and the rest fillings. And then my just turned 2 year old’s top front teeth come together at the bottom so she has a gap in them and they want to put two crowns on them and do fillings on 2 other teeth. We brush teeth but not every day. Obviously I screwed up. My husband don’t want to do any work on their teeth, he says they are too young for all that work. And they are young, but idk what to do. Maybe I should get another opinion. Has anyone else’s littles been through this at a young age. Also they want my 4 year old to be awake for the treatments and my 2 year old IV sedation.

98 Likes

You should get the work done and after that focus on healthy dental habits. Encourage brushing twice a day and flossing or even mouthwash. My dentist recommended mouth wash for the kids who won’t let you floss. My youngest had to have quite a bit of work done and now we make sure we are doing what we need to. He has been cavity free since! All of my kids have! I would just do what needs to be done before it gets worse and more work is required. Your husband should understand that they wouldn’t recommend it unless it would become an issue or cause them pain eventually. You’re not a bad mom! Things like this happen. It just matters what you do from here on out. Good luck!

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What should I do about my kids cavities?

I wouldn’t do it. They will fall out and permanent ones eventually come in

1 Like

If they aren’t in pain don’t do it. I done it for my kids but they were in pain

1 Like

Please make sure your babies have this dental work done. As someone who works in the field these cavities will continue to get worse and eventually the teeth with start to break off from the decay and it will become painful for them. Also yes they are baby teeth but can cause issues for them as they get older and their permanent teeth come in

3 Likes

I mean, I feel like if the child isn’t in pain or the teeth don’t physically look bad let it go. Those teeth are literally going to fall out anyway.
Maybe take this as a lesson to be a little bit more diligent going forward.
Watch the juice, milk, and sugar intake.

1 Like

Do it. The pain your little one can be in is excruciating. Also, should infection set it or an abscess, it can go to the brain. Not worth the risk.

1 Like

Get a second opinion. Sounds like this dentist COULD be money hungry. A crown on a child’s baby teeth is a red flag.

10 Likes

Not getting the work done can lead to a lot of issues including loosing the teeth altogether and infections which can be super dangerous. Take it as a lesson to be better about their oral care, get the work done and make sure you are more consistent from now on.

4 Likes

They will fall out but you don’t want to cause infections and illness until they do. If you don’t get the cavities filled their adult teeth will have issues too.

2 Likes

You don’t want the cavities to get into their adult teeth. Yes. Do the dental work.

4 Likes

I had to cap my babies 4 top due to them not forming properly, they were crumbling. He went under anesthesia at a hospital. I am happy with the outcome… it was a hard choice, but in our case I know it will protect his teeth.

1 Like

Coming from a mom who said nah they are baby teeth it will be ok, my daughter now has issues with her teeth because the baby teeth do effect the adult teeth and not getting the work done cause her adult teeth to have issues when the baby teeth fell out and they grew in. Please get them done.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t do the work if they arent in pain or rhere iant an infection… my daughter had to have surgery last year to have teeth pulled that rotted with infection from her grinding them so bad in her sleep… Best you can do is just keep working on good oral hygien so by the time they get their grown up teeth they are better off.

Get them fixed. Untreated decay can spread to the adult teeth and ruin them too, causing pain, infection and even more expensive procedures down the line.

Not filling a cavity on a baby tooth can abscess & even damage the adult tooth underneath over time. Don’t listen to Facebook know it alls, listen to the DENTIST :woman_facepalming:t2:

9 Likes

if they fall out, they will go without teeth until the adult teeth come in. Not to mention, if you wait until the decay is bad enough for them to fall out it will be very painful.

1 Like

Start by brushing everyday. That’s a must. Food and sugars from liquids left on teeth over night/long hours during the days are causing these cavities.
Both my girls have had lots of cavities even though brushing everyday.
These cavities your girls have, if on molars, they could have these for years and years and cause pain. They should be fixed before they get even worse and require root canals.

1 Like

Get a second opinion!!!

2 Likes

Get a second opinion.

3 Likes

If they are baby teeth there shouldn’t be a reason for crowns and fillings.

5 Likes

I understand your dilemma. My son had cavities at a young age and I was apprehensive about IV sedation and thought that it’s just his baby teeth. I later worked in a pediatric dental office and became educated on a lot of things surrounding the effects of cavities on permanent teeth and IV sedation. PM me if you’d like.

1 Like

First I would get a second opinion for sure!

Get a second opinion

4 Likes

Get the teeth fixed asap! Brush them every single day twice a day an floss! Dental hygiene is so important

3 Likes

Learn from this. Brush and floss not just every day but more than once per day. Not only will it keep your kids teeth in better condition but you will teach them proper dental hygiene so they don’t have rotten teeth when they’re 20 years old

What’s in the past is the past, but they do need to do the work to your baby’s teeth. Those bad teeth now can cause his permanent teeth to rot before they even come in.

1 Like

My daughter got a filling when she was two, still awake. They turned the tv on whatever she wanted and used the gas and she was completely fine the whole time.

Do the dental work. My second son was around 4 and bc I didn’t floss between his teeth more than once a day, he was sedated and has silver caps put on four of his back teeth.
Do the dental work

1 Like

Baby teeth affect adult teeth of course get them fixed.

3 Likes

Listen to the dentist, but I personally would ask that they put both my kids under if I had to have their teeth worked on…. You should be brushing atleast 2 times every day though just saying

Are teeth causing pain? That would be the deciding factor for my household at that age.

1. get a second opinion. 2) it’s ok 3) when their big teeth come in opt for the sealant. All of my kids have sealants on their molars and it’s amazing. 4) start good brushing habits.

You’re doing fine mama. We all make mistakes.

4 Likes

Yes they need their teeth fixed but also get a 2nd opinion and what is really needed, and they will offer sedation that helps alot.

What they are baby teeth they will fall out must be a place like Kool smiles. Those type of places that accept walk in appt always try to do the most even when not needed. The 4 yr old teeth will fall out in two years u think she needs all this nope.

If the cavities are in the back teeth, they absolutely need fillings and crowns.
Those teeth don’t fall out until much later. Current cavities will continue to get worse and damage the adult teeth. Not to mention the possibility of infections.
Brush their teeth every day. Twice a day. Its up to you to instill good habits and routines. It takes 2 minutes. Let them do it themselves and then you do a once over.

10 Likes

Don’t ignore dental work . It’ll cause them pain and affect the adult teeth under them . Yes my son was 3 at the time he was put to sleep and had caps put on his front teeth and a couple of fillings .

If you’re confident your 4 year old wont sit through it you can absolutely have the child put to sleep for that.

4 Likes

Your kids mouth is full of decay! Are you seriously considering NOT having them fixed? That is child abuse!

9 Likes

Get a second opinion. Not saying that the cavities will magically disappear. But I had one dentist want to put my 4 year old under sedation for one cavity. I had another dentist tell me I needed a whole mess of work… I went to another dentist who fixed my son’s cavity without sedation and I was told all I needed was to fill a cavity or two. Not all the “work” the other dentist was telling me I needed done. Moral of my story is before you do something major like this make sure that they aren’t trying to pull any other sh*t on you.

4 Likes

From my personal experience, I’m 32. I never went to the dentist as a kid. Brushed my teeth usually. Continued oral hygiene through teenage years. Once I became an adult and got insurance I went to the dentist. $15k for braces and to fix my teeth. My overbite is so bad they said I’d have to get my jaw broken and re align it. :confused: Half of my teeth were broken, rotting. Currently in the process of getting my real teeth pulled and dentures.

1 Like

Get a second opinion. That’s serious dental work for such young children.

4 Likes

You need to brush teeth every day and before bed. Starting them from their teeth come in teaches them good habits. Take responsibility for their teeth and leave dad out of it. It’s not a hard job!

2 Likes

Both should be knocked out and only do one at a time cuz when they wake it is horrible I wouldn’t do crowns when they can cap it cuz in 2 years on your 4 year old she will start losing them but I would go to a pediatric dental and damn do you not brush your teeth I don’t think you do that but your children need it 2 times a day make the time make it fun but it’s ur job to make sure they’re medical needs as well as physical and emotional support is meet

Learn from this. For everyone. I’d get another opinion of course. At that age it needs to be fixed or maybe can push it. But listen to the dentist. You can damage future teeth etc from neglecting

Why would you not brush every day? They need brushing 2 or 3 times a day.
You definitely need to treat those cavities or it will just get worse. You can go a see another dentist but they might tell you exactly the same and you will have to fix it weather your husband agrees or not because dental health is so important

5 Likes

Second opinion!!!

1 Like

Are these baby that will eventually fall out OR new adult teeth

They are not permanent teeth, sounds like a greedy dentist. Change get another opinion.

1 Like

You need to take care it ASAP. And no, you “didn’t screw up”. Kids these days lack of many nutrients and minerals. Healing Tooth Decay Naturally Tooth Remineralization Support Group by Bliss Energetics. Join these groups and you’ll see you are not alone. Start researching. They are young and will re bounce quickly.

Get a second opinion

You need to talk to another dentist and maybe take your kiddos to a pediatric dentist instead. Not getting the treatment done for them is neglect.

Don’t ignore but do get a second opinion.

My son has been brushing his teeth three time’s a day since he was two. He is now nine and has never ever has had a Cavity. It’s just pure laziness on your part in my eyes

6 Likes

I’d get a second opinion. I’ve had personal experience with a pediatric dentist saying my child needed multiple things then took her my dentist who I trust and was told it was nothing serious at all and only took a couple of minutes and she didn’t even need to be numb.

My cousin’s lil one had a few bad cavities in the front top of her mouth. They were so bad she was eating much cause it hurt to bite. They waited til she was close to 4 to fix them. I would speak to your pediatrician and get a 2nd dentist opinion too. A lot of dentist now push unnecessary procedures. Try to get both kids into a pediatric dentist. If either kid seems to be experiencing lots of pain while eating or has random fevers, unexplainable, it could be infection from these cavities. You want your kiddos healthy. Get a 2nd opinion for sure.

Get another opinion. When my oldest was 4 we went to a dentist that wanted to do 7 crowns and 5 fillings all under general anesthesia. That felt excessive so we got a 2nd and 3rd opinion and he ended up with 2 fillings and sealants.
He has not had a problem with his teeth at all and has only had one cavity in the 12 yrs since.
I still get heated thinking of all the pain he would have been in if I had not followed up with other professionals.

Get a second opinion to just see what they say!

Take care of their teeth. My 4 year old got 2 filling for very small cavities between his back teeth and he did great.

Get an opinion from a pediatric dentist and if the work is still recommended, HAVE IT DONE. Their dental hygiene now can’t impact their adult teeth later. You can’t just set it and forget it. If brushing is a matter of not remembering, set alarms on your phone and get some kiddie floss.

Get a second opinion.
My kid didn’t have the best baby teeth. Our DDS just pulled the ones that ended up with bad cavities. Said filling them was pointless since they are gonna fall out anyway.
I mean, the rot and decay needs to be removed for sure, but fillings and crowns seems excessive on baby teeth

My 7 year old just went under sedation and got 4 crowns on back molars. He’d still have those teeth for 3+ years and they would get worse and start to affect his adult teeth if we didn’t. We did the sedation because he has anxiety and they also did all his X-rays while he was under as well because he’d never let them do them in office. My 5 year old will probably be doing the same thing soon and he has the same issue.

Can you see the cavities? Also keeping cavities keeps those germs in their mouths which will ruin their adult teeth. Get their teeth fixed and make them brush their teeth at least once a day. Dental issues can cause so many lifelong health issues including your heart.

Y’all saying leave it alone or they are baby teeth they will fall out do realize the cavities can get infected and mess up the permanent teeth or even worse… can kill a child if they get infected. I’d say get another opinion asap and get them filled or capped not just let it ride out

I work in dentistry and will tell you to get a second opinion. There are children’s dentists out there who over do work or do unnecessary work. I just went thru this with my grandaughter…my daughter took her to a periodontist who said she needed alot of work. I brought her to my office for my doctor to look over…she needs NONE of it. I am not saying this is always the case…but always get a second opinion! At these ages, baby teeth may or may not need to be fixed. Your 4 yr old will not be losing teeth for another 2-3 years and your little one 4-5 years and that can be a long time for a cavity to brew and cause bigger issues.

4 Likes

You have to be careful with dentist, some of them will do highway robbery on you if you let them. There should be a cap on what dentist charges, like regular primary doctors…They are baby teeth and they will lose them before long, I would just keep them clean and flossed,

Get a second opinion

Do not put crowns on baby teeth.

You need to get a second and a third opinion.

1 Like

Just own it that you fkd up and take it as a lesson. Get em fixed before they destroy the adult teeth underneath. Better scenario than my stepdaughter. By the time she turned 5, she had 15+ cavaties with her two front teeth rotting out straight to the gum line :upside_down_face: she’s about to be 6 in 11 days. The mom still hasn’t fkn gotten it taken care of :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

My 4 year old also had that many cavities and they told me it’s from not flossing. We got it done and my daughter did great. Also she was awake and had gas. They told me it will ruin her adult teeth if I don’t take care if it so we did.

1 Like

My grandson who is 4 had 4 cavities. He was put to sleep to put the crowns on and caped front two teeth. Was told didn’t want cavities to get to deep and need root canal done so my daughter chose to get them fixed he will still have the back ones for awhile. My grandson woke up and wasn’t in pain and didn’t feel a thing. So no bad experience for him at the dentist to remember.we took him to a pediatric dentist and then to a reg dentist and our reg dentist agreed with the pediatric dentist less stress in a child if he is put under on light medicine and was watched the whole time for any stress he could have come. Was a good choice

Look at autobrush for kids. It’s a great way to make sure teeth are throughly brushed. Like another person said , don’t ignore but do get a second opinion and make sure they brush daily.

2 Likes

it happens. my 10 year old just had 3 cavities filled and I had to have deep cleaning from gum disease. we haven’t been to the dentist in several years because his dad was very ill and passed away. life happens. but you definitely need to get them taken care of to prevent further issues. my son and I both got gas sedation and broke the visits up to be easier.

1 Like

Get a second opinion but don’t let the cavities get worse. They may be baby teeth but they can still cause pain and can still get infected and cause problems.

1 Like

That’s a LOT of work & money for baby teeth. The cavities are cause for concern though…

Why an iv sedation at 2?

1 Like

We brush teeth but not every day​:thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow::flushed:

3 Likes

I think you need to let them fix the cavities so that they don’t spread to other teeth but I would insist the 4 year old was also sedated.

My daughter needed 14 teeth worked on because I use to let her fall asleep with the bottle at night and her teeth were rotten. She has the 4 top pulled out when she was 2 and got all the others worked on last year when she was 4 she had to be put to sleep. I cried and cried while she got them done I felt like the worst mom their was. Now they’re all fixed and either has crowns on them or fillings and she eats a lot better and I learned my lesson we will definitely take care of her permanently teeth and we make sure she brushes daily now. I think maybe a second opinion but get them fix they might hurt.

1 Like

I would definitely get another opinion because while my son was having some silver teeth done due to covid and nobody seeing patients well they decided to fill another tooth they decided needed work done and charged us another $300

Get a second opinion…babies need their cavities filled.

I don’t believe crowns might not be necessary…I used to be a dental assistant

2 Likes

Why on earth would you wait? Those kids don’t have infections or pain YET. But eventually they will unless you get it sorted now and implement better oral hygiene going forward. We’ve all had toothache at one point or another, I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy let alone my lil boy. If you can prevent it you absolutely should.

We’re the adults we need to push our children to do things they don’t always want. We’re not they’re friends.

5 Likes

My daughters dentist wouldn’t do my daughter’s cavities until she was 3. She gets her teeth brushed 2 times a day and flossed once a day. They gave her some juice with some medicine in it to make her feel out of it a nitrous she cried for a few minutes afterwards wanting me to hold her but everything turned out ok.

Get it done before it ruins her adult teeth. My little ones have a couple caps on their teeth and it hasn’t affected them at all. Didn’t even hurt to have them put on. You really should start a routine for tooth brushing with them or they won’t have good hygiene habits

1 Like

Flossing isn’t normally done that young. You’re lucky if you can get their teeth brushed. Lol. They’re just baby teeth. Usually, they’ll ask if you want to fix or ride it out because that decay will not generally have any effect on adult teeth. My middle had cavities from 2+ until she lost them around 7. I never fixed it because it didn’t bother her. We were given a flouride paste to help keep them at bay.

So your husband wants your children to suffer with a toothache? And start brushing them daily bc you don’t get another set of adult teeth. Make it a habit now! Sedation is normal for children that small bc they freak out over the noises and aren’t usually cooperative.

1 Like

My nephew had stuff done like that when he was little. But if you don’t do it it can start hurting them as in pain and can go deep in to where a root canal has to be done which is more expensive cause it can damage the nerve in there. The baby teeth will fall out but honey you’re doing your best. That’s all we can do. Keep having them brush their teeth.

Goodness!!! Watching a kid suffer thru a toothache is awful!!! Why and how did they get so bad!!!

1 Like

Don’t be hard on yourself sometimes genetics can play into it

It sounds like the kids have dental caries and the treatment can be extensive. With dental caries, even the best oral hygiene often isn’t enough, you’ll still develop cavities. My older daughter had been under anesthesia for extensive dental work 4 or 5 times thru elementary school and even today as a high schooler still gets a cavity or two every year.

2 Likes

My suggestion is watch what they are drinking and eating. Offer more water and healthier opinions.
A lot of juice, sodas, sweets will cause cavities.
My girls are 17 and 15, has never had a cavity and did not brush or floss every day and as teens they still don’t floss every day.

If you don’t get the work done those
Cavities with rot their teeth! Once a cavity is there it will not go away your gonna end up with very upset babies if you don’t take care of it now. 

Get another opinion. But if the second Dr says they need work do it. Those cavities will turn the whole tooth rotten and they will have to have teeth pulled rather than just crowns or fillings. It will also affect their overall health. Start brushing teeth atleast once a day and flossing. Don’t be too hard on yourself though. Some people are just more likely to get cavities

Get the work done baby teeth set the child mouth up for their adult teeth don’t feel bad just set a alarm to brush teeth n have them drink some water after having sugar

You have to get the work done or their adult teeth could be affected before they even come out, it can also be causing them pain while eating.

Sounds a bit over the top. Fill the cavities but crowns on baby teeth, not sure

2 Likes

Crowns on baby tooth? I am European and i work for a health insurance company…this is not a thing here

1 Like

My son is six he got four “robot teeth” because we had to wait six months to get him into a pediatric dentist. He had cavities from not flossing too. Don’t beat yourself up mama. We can’t do it all every single day.

1 Like

Get the work done at a pediatric dentist.

1 Like