What should I do about my kids cavities?

He never had a tooth aches

I cried when my first little had cavities too. Hugs mom.

Most those teeth gonna fall out anyway - baby teeth???

1 Like

There have been cases where some dentists have been found to be doing unnecessary work and procedures on kids. With that in mind I would seriously consider getting a second opinion before getting their dental work done.

11 Likes

Get the work done but don’t be so hard on yourself. Sometimes genetics and their diet can play in to it just as much as hygiene.

2 Likes

Seems a lot of work for young children. Id be looking for a second opinion tbh.
Personally never used floss on my children although they did brush regularly.

3 Likes

Get them fixed my almost 6 year old had to have a lot of work done he has autism and sensory issues so it was a fight everytime I had to brush his teeth so ended up missing a lot of spots so got him In to therapy they helped him get over it and taught me how to handle it better for a while I beat myself up like I could have done better extra but therapy and getting them fixed help he had to go to hospital and be put under and had to have a lot of work done but in the end I know I did my best and did everything I could and he can eat with no issues and even got to were he can brush his own teeth with supervision I say get the work done it will help your little one

At around 10? I think? I had a bunch of teeth removed under GA, it wasn’t the nicest but my teeth hurt a lot beforehand and after, they didn’t…

Get a second opinion , but also implement better oral hygiene , my daughter has not cavities and she is 4 years old , I basically try to brush them every morning and nighttime ( since she is at preschool in the afternoon ) never let them brush their teeth without supervision because they won’t do it right, I always have to watch my daughter while she does it and correct her if she does it the wrong way !

1 Like

I wouldn’t spend the money they are gonna fall out.
But while your waiting for them to fall out, keep on a routine of brushing and flossing so the adult teeth stay healthy

1 Like

They haven’t even started losing their baby teeth yet - tell the dentist to pound sand. They are playing the shame game - a lot of dentists are known for doing this. Fillings - maybe but crowns? that means that they are doing a root canal on a baby tooth? Rethink this girl!!! Go get another dentist!!!

2 Likes

Get them done!! If you leave them it will cause soooo many issues! Some kids just have softer teeth than others! My 7&6 year olds have perfect teeth, my 2 year old has cavities and we are going to see what they can do for him next week! We don’t do anything different for him than we did/do for the two older ones. These things happen! Definitely make sure your brushing them daily though from now on! Just don’t want them getting infected!

1 Like

Get the work done if not it’s going to cause them pain eventually and for future reference you start brushing teeth at the first sign of teeth so around a year old one to two times a day. And first dentist appointment should be at 2 years old

4 Likes

When one of my grand daughters was 5 years old the dentist insisted on doing a lot of work on her teeth and two days after capping a tooth,it became infected and it had to be pulled. That one tooth ended up costing my son hundreds of dollars plus she later had to have braces because of the gap the missing tooth left.

Crowns on baby teeth because of a gap? Sounds like you should seek another opinion.

4 Likes

they shouldn’t need to do crowns to close a gap on a 2 yr old??? I would get a 2nd opinion but yes, you do need to remove decay as it can cause serious infections and can damage the permanent teeth underneath. Unless they were teeth that were loose and likely to fall out very soon, the decay needs to be REMOVED. Also-sometimes decay can happen ins spite of immaculate hygiene. Kids can have weak enamel and genetic predispositions to dental issues. Decay is caused when the bacteria that is capable of eroding the teeth manages to a) enter the mouth (usually passed along by a parent with active decay) b) manages to breed and loves to multiply amongst sugars and c) grows enough to erode the tooth enamel

4 Likes

I would at least get them billed because everybody knows there’s nothing worse than a toothache and they are just baby teeth so feeling should be sufficient when the adult starts coming in that’s when you really got to pay attention

1 Like

Not brushing there teeth and not wanting to allow them to have treatment that the dentist recommends is abuse

4 Likes

Crown for teeth that are just gonna fall out in a few years??? I understand filling cavities to prevent pain and infections, but the crowns seem to be a bit much. I’d get a second opinion tbh. My son had a gap too when his front teeth came in. He’s 3 now and the gap closed once his other molars came in.

3 Likes

Ok first up, try to make positive changes in regards to their dental hygiene. I’m assuming you bath them every night after tea, in which case they should be brushing their teeth then (or you doing it for them/supervising) so they’re at least done properly once a day. Once they start kinder/school you can also send them to go and brush their teeth after breakfast and before getting dressed.

As for flossing a 2yo… does that dentist actually have any kids :face_with_spiral_eyes: The 4yo you could maybe get away with doing a couple of times a week if necessary (if food gets stuck) or teach to do themselves a little but otherwise, unless the dentist is a perfect parent themselves I feel like they may be somewhat delusional :sweat_smile:

Crowns on a child with baby teeth…?!! Straight up I’ll make it known I’m not a dentist nor have ever been involved in the dental industry so I could be wrong BUT I’ve never heard of that on a child that young and am genuinely struggling to see the reasoning when the teeth will be falling out over the next couple of years?!

I agree with your gut feeling that you should seek an alternate opinion before going ahead with anything.

Dental assistant a 15 years here.  I agree a second opinion is probably a good idea. With that being said if the conclusions are the same then you most definitely should get treatment for the teeth. If you do not and this becomes a serious issue their teeth can become infected just like an adults tooth and it can lead to many issues and if it is left untreated it can constitute as child neglect and you could get in trouble if someone were to turn you in for not having the issues addressed.
I am not saying any of this in a malicious way I am just trying to give you information to the best of my knowledge since I’ve been a dental assistant for 15 years and I have seen what tooth decay and children can lead to and it is not a good thing. 

2 Likes

Gaps are normal for that age, but you should start flossing when two teeth touch.

I’d get another opinion. As just getting a crown and a couple fillings myself, thinking of my babies going through that is crazy. Yes you should brush their teeth daily, but big thing too is if you give them juice, soda, etc. Are they going to bed sipping on juice and milk? Those types of things. Sorry you’re going through this. I’d see a pediatric dentist and express your concern as well. Its a fear of mine after seeing stories of toddlers being put under anesthesia for dental work and, basically it not ending well. Dont beat yourself up, lesson learned! There are different brushes out there now that make it easy for kids to brush themselves as well. Good luck. :pray:

1 Like

My son had to have 4 decaying teeth removed because of a issue he got from his father that can cause ur teeth to go bad he’s always had me or somebody brushing n taking care of them never slept with cups or bottles so it happens even if take every precaution with their teeth so don’t beat ur self up to much. But my son was sent to a town three hours away cuz where we r no dentist will do this kind of work on children so we were sent there he was sedated they did what they needed to n he woke up he was crabby but he was up playing just sore for a bit but it didn’t faze him much he was 3 at the time. Get a second opinion if u feel like u need it but it’s best have this done while their young.

I might get a second opinion, but I WOULD get the work done. Plus, start making oral hygiene a priority.

3 Likes

It’s crazy to me the amount of people that say leave them alone! Do you know you can die from cavities an mouth infections due to cavities! This is wild to me! As a parent our job is to care for our children that includes hygiene! If the child has one tooth you brush it, dental visits every 6 months! That decay needs to be removed! So what if the teeth will eventually fall out why would you even want your children to basically have infected teeth! This post and comments are wild to me! It takes a few moments to brush their teeth in the morning and night! If you teach them they will do it when you don’t feel like it… it’s a routine part of bathing…

1 Like

Get the work done. My oldest got 4 fillings and a silver cap at 4 years old.

I would definitely get the cavities filled but I would not put caps on 2 front baby teeth if there in nothing other than a gap. That dentist is looking for some money

1 Like

I have two children and one has great teeth and one doesn’t. All I did was brushing, I never thought to floss. Get the work done and don’t beat yourself up. now ya know so you can do the flossing and Maybe that will helpp

I’m all about filling cavities, but crowns on a a 2 year old - no - that’s about getting your money. Get a new dentist.

Get them fixed, then be vigilant about cleaning their teeth every day. While on the one hand, baby teeth come out, on the other hand, you need those teeth to remain in place until the permanent ones are ready to come in. If you don’t, the baby teeth that are left can drift and the kid may end up needing thousands of dollars in orthodontic work in the future.

They definitely need the fillings but you can say no to the crowns

Get them fixed but get a second opinion if you want. I’ve been though it.My son was so bad we had to do it in the hospital and they pulled out 4 but that was do to an injury . He has crowns and a spacer . It’s not as bad as u think.

Fillings yes. Not sure I’d put crowns on just because she has a gap. Get a second opinion.

No crowns. They will fall out in 2 years. I’d have the teeth pulled before I would do a crown.

I would do the feelings though.

You MUST treat them before they get worse and become painful or even cause an infection that can have major complications but fillings may be enough unless they are that bad that they need those crowns. I’d get a second opinion first. But there are some people that just have more porous/crevices in their teeth and prone to cavities. My mom and I both get cavities all the time even as a young kid on our baby teeth even though we have always been diligent about brushing and flossing. And unfortunately my preschooler inherited my teeth so even though I brush and floss her teeth daily and she doesn’t eat sugary foods or drinks she still has already had 2 fillings. Yet my husband who doesn’t do crap with his teeth has never had a cavity in his life. So you may just have a kid prone to cavities but you should do everything you can to try and prevent them since it may be a lifelong battle for them.

2 Likes

2nd opinion but dont stress teeth are genetic too. I had shit teeth growing up even with brushing and flossing.

Children’s mouthwash helps tremendously when flossing is difficult.

That’s disgusting. How do you not brush their teeth every day?

5 Likes

Get a second opinion and get it all done. And BRUSH TEETH MORNING AND NIGHT

1 Like

It sounds like you need a second opinion, are you going to a pediatric dentist?

1 Like

I definitely would get a second opinion. That sounds ridiculous

Get the cavities filled. If you don’t they can become infected, or larger and eventually expose a nerve or affect their adult teeth.

2 Likes

Lol, tell your husband that’s neglect. People are weird.

3 Likes

Some children are prone to them, don’t beat yourself up, it’s probably not your fault,I didn’t read all of the post, but after the cavities are dealt with you need a dentist that will do sealants to prevent them in the future

Um, they won’t even do a crown on my 15 year old (she broke her tooth in half 8ish years ago!) because she’s too young…?

No.
You need to find a different dentist.
A crown on a temporary tooth

And your husband… Well tell him cavities hurt, they can get down to the gum and end up ruining the permanent teeth, they need the fillings done and I think the 2 yr old might be too young

1 Like

I’m a dentist. Get a second opinion if you aren’t comfortable and for your piece of mind. However, the treatment needs to be done considering your child won’t be losing front teeth until around 6 and posterior teeth until around 11/12.

And don’t beat yourself up, you don’t know what you don’t know.

Side note, kids teeth are very small compared to the size of the nerve. When a cavity is large, sometimes it isn’t possible to just do a filling and a crown is necessary. I don’t treat kiddos btw but I am more than qualified to diagnose treatment and give recommendations. Best wishes.

5 Likes

Oh shit. I should’ve read the entire post.
You need to brush every single.
Twice a day in fact

I would get a second opinion. Who knows if that’s true or not. I don’t trust dentists especially because I know of a few who has lied and said someone had cavities and they didn’t so they could make more money doing fillings, crowns, etc.

1 Like

Get a second opinion. I took my daughter to a regular dentist & they wanted to cap 4 of her teeth. They did because I didn’t know any better. Now she’s missing 4 front teeth because they ground them down way too far. :upside_down_face: when we visited a pediatric dentist they said fillings would have sufficed. :expressionless:

1 Like

It was impossible to get a tooth brush in my sons mouth by 4 he had the same issue but he had gotten a cavity so bad it was actually cause a lot of pain like a lot they had to out him to sleep and fix his teeth I cried and panicked the whole time honestly but he did great but now he brushes like a champ and always reminds me to floss :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: that being said he won’t use regular tooth paste I have to do salt water rinse then baking soda and peroxide mix brush and then brush with coconut oil he hasn’t had an issue since and he teeth look amazing an now none of use get tarter build up when we switched to brushing like this like none it’s awesome really my other half and me negated our teeth for years got braces had a issue when I was pregnant with swollen gums and receding gum line on one tooth my braces are off I had no swelling or anything and my gums actually healed from brushing with this instead of tooth paste pretty crazy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: no cavities in this house

1 Like

I would seek a 2nd opinion. I also wouldn’t put crowns on if they aren’t adult teeth

2 Likes

Also invest in a water pick… My son has braces and we use that for flossing the dentist recommended it

Brush everyday twice a day and floss frequently

1 Like

It never hurts to get a second opinion. There may be some work that needs to be done to keep the cavities from working through to the nerves and being painful.

Depends on the Dentist! Get a second opinion! I’m 67, still have my teeth. I never started flossing until I was in my 50’s. Dentists have been known to give incorrect information!

My daughter has very sensitive prone teeth. We brush 2 times a day everyday and floss once a day. She ended up with 5 cavities and 1 crown. If this is the case with your children you need to get it all fixed asap. They may be young and will lose these teeth but they need it done.

I’m not sure what options to go down for treatment but difinately get them sorted, Rotting teeth can cause alot of other health problems too.

Get a 2nd opinion and brush twice a day x

My son had this issue at 4. Get a second opinion.

Don’t let them do anything to the kids teeth! They’re gonna fall off and you’ll have an opportunity to do better with the adult teeth.

Bad teeth can be genetic. My mom and I have always brushed our teeth twice a day and we still get cavities, but my dad and other 3 siblings never do. Don’t feel bad. Get a second opinion.

I would definitely consult with another dentist who works with children as a specialty.
I would only focus on immediate treatment and post pone any major work as far as crowns if they are baby teeth

1 Like

First of all im not going to bash you like so many ppl are… I understand stuff happens. My kids all had a few cavities between the teeth at that age from not flossing. And we brush everyday… my 6 year old just had to get 2 teeth pulled and she’s a great brusher. Don’t let ppl make you feel bad. you did your best… now you know better you can start them brushing at least twice a day… don’t beat yourself up over it… 2nd you need to get the work done on the cavities at least. They hurt kids just as much as adults do. The good news is you found them now before they get any worse. If you ignore them then they will only get worse and spread to more teeth and very likely adult teeth. With fillings they will remove the decay and prevent any further decay from happening from that cavity. They use them for larger cavities. They use caps for very small cavities and they seal off the cavity and the whole tooth from any further damage. Essentially it stops it from getting big enough to warrant a filling. So if you don’t do the caps those teeth will need fillings eventually. And if you don’t do the fillings those teeth will need to be pulled eventually. And when baby teeth are pulled they may need spacers which are uncomfortable but necessary to make sure the adult teeth have enough room to grow in properly and don’t lead to messed up crooked teeth in adulthood. Cavities can be painful for kids. Please don’t ignore this. Cps would consider ignoring dental advice fkr children as neglectful. Because it can be. It might be ok now but it can get worse.

2 Likes

Get a second opinion and as for flossing if it’s impossible for you to do it then use waterpik it’s as effective as dental floss … no matter what their teeth needs to get fixed . Cavities can hurt very bad .good luck

1 Like

Get a second opinion. Please

I would get an a second opinion from a pediatric dentist but I would definitely fix anything that needs to be fixed. Baby teeth can affect adult teeth and their formation and you don’t want that. There is so much that affects teeth starting in the womb so sometimes even with the best oral habits stuff can happen. I would definitely work on making sure you keep up with brushing and flossing as well.

1 Like

My children and I suffer from enamel hypoplasia… I love going to a new dentist and having them give me crap saying my kids teeth are full of cavities and filling … we have very white teeth , Just a lit of fillings and cavities … I then move onto telling her when she’s done her rant that we suffer from enamel hypoplasia … man do they apologize after that … it’s normal at a young age for cavities … don’t stress it

My daughter had a cap done when she was like 4. It’s not uncommon bc they are so little and tend to be difficult to floss. Really the best thing you can do is adjust their diets to have more calcium in it and less sugar and acidic foods in it. They want to do the work on their teeth to protect the adult teeth and give the baby teeth some more life while they are waiting for the adult teeth to come in. I’d do it an get the work done bc you haven’t a clue as to how soon those adult teeth will come in. My oldest is 19 and she still has 4 baby teeth to lose. Even my 16y/o has baby teeth still. An I myself still have baby teeth at 38 so definitely get the work done bc they may need those teeth to last awhile and you want them to be as good as they can be given the situation.

1 Like

At 4 yrs of age it still baby teeth, so should not need crowns as will fall out later, just make sure they are cleaned regularly morning and night.

My nieces and nephews all 3 had to have that much work done at them ages, with iv sedation. Due to genetics. Your husband needs to speak to the dentist and have an understanding of why they need it.

Get a 2nd opinion and brush twice daily. My cousin got her kids taken away for not getting her kids teeth taken care of. So don’t mess around with this. Plus it can’t lead to serious health problems.

2 Likes

My 2 year old had dental work with no sedation and did fine. Don’t let your babies teeth rot. Fix your mistake and do better

Nope nope nope. Don’t let them do your 4 yr old like that! You have the right to say no and have him sedated. It is wrong for them to say it’s your fault! Some kiddos are more prone to cavities, went thru a lot of this with my kids. And IV sedation? Heck my kids were given a shot and boom drunk little ones, and gas during. Even as they got older.

Get a second opinion. I wish I did when my son was 3. They said he had 4 cavities so we went with the procedure. My husband brought him but couldn’t go in the room. They brought him out with 12 caps!! There’s nooooo way.

Fillings yes , not sure i would do the crowns though.

2 Likes

This does NOT make you a terrible mom. Now this may not be from not flossing or not flossing properly. Read the ingredients in the toothpaste. Make sure there is NO SUGAR in it. If there is throw it out and buy sugar free toothpaste. My son had cavities all the time for years and after I tried everything to prevent them including brushing his teeth for him at 8 years old he still kept getting them! I finally read his toothpaste and it was mainly sugar so I threw it out, went sugar free and we have had none since with him doing all of the work!

2 Likes

Provide kids vitamins with calcium, more milk, water, herbal tea, no-sugar seltzers & very few sugary drinks (and no diet drinks either). Way less sugar—most kids like fresh fruit. Buy plain yogurt & oatmeal & add fruit. The flavored kind is full of sugar. Just don’t buy the unhealthy stuff. If it’s not available, you can’t eat it.

Maybe it’d be worthwhile to get fluoride treatments at some point as another barrier against cavities in addition to brushing & flossing. I also like the battery spin toothbrushes to help them brush thoroughly.

If you instill good habits now, they’ll last a lifetime. Plus, you’ll be healthier too!

Make it a game to brush 2 times daily. Also cut out unnecessary sugar (candy, juice, soda, etc.) Like others have said, bad teeth can be genetic. Do what you think is best for your babies. A dentist did once tell me, the state if baby teeth do effect adult teeth. Best of luck momma and tell dad you need help with the brushing. It’s worth all the work!

2 Likes

My daughter is 9 n never flossed, never had issue with her teeth either, you’re not using kids toothpaste are you? I was told to use adults toothpaste for the fluoride as kids isn’t high enough and can lead to tooth decay :blush: mine brushes daily when she was younger she used to be objective to it so I got her a timer and then a lil electric brush from home bargains for £4 which helped

1 Like

As someone with a bad dental experience as a child, I’d definitely take care of it. Maybe see if they’d be willing to pull them early instead of all the other things they mentioned.
Baby teeth can effect permanent teeth underneath the gums.
I ended up with baby teeth that were rotten underneath the gum after trauma. They pulled all my effected baby teeth out.
I was around 2.5/3 when this happened. My teeth did not grow in until second grade.

2 Likes

You are not alone mama. I have five kids, and you know what we don’t brush daily either. But we’ve had only one cavity between them all. Genetics have a big roll in this as well. Make it fun. Turn it into a game. I know we can get so caught up in life we forget these simple things but it’s up to us to install good habits in our children.

You have the right to advocate for your baby. At some point those cavities may cause pain even in baby teeth. I would absolutely sedate if it was my child and I don’t see why they wouldn’t either way especially on a child.

1 Like

My daughter went through the same I was terrified for her but was worth it in the end as no more problems or pain for my little girl

These are baby teeth and will fall out. I think you need a new dentist

Get a second opinion and don’t tell them it’s a second opinion to see what they say. I’ll be honest, I never flossed my little ones teeth. But not brushing everyday wasn’t any opinion. I’m curious to know why y’all don’t brush daily. You have zero control over them having a gap. But the brushing you have 100% control over. Cavities can grow and spread to other teeth. So get hose filled immediately. No more sweets to caffeine. Get cavity controlled toothpaste and help them brush their teeth twice a day. No more going without brushing

3 Likes

I literally have to pin my kid down and force them to brush their teeth, my kid doesn’t get a choice, if they fight me they get grounded for a month, and getting their teeth fixed is important because it could cause problems with adult teeth, and possibly cause bone loss, and eventually they’ll have to get dentures I know this from personal experience.

1 Like

My daughter was 1 an a half an they had to pull her 4 front teeth out due to the sippy cup it’s not your fault my daughter will be 7 in a few months an those teeth just started coming in

That sounds like a lot of work/money for baby teeth that will fall out?

3 Likes

My son was 3 and had 5 crowns because I didn’t know any better and let him sleep with a sippy cup… I wouldn’t want them to do the 4 yrnolds without sedation though. That’s traumatic… I would also do what they are asking. Rotten baby teeth can effect adult teeth

2 Likes

Yea, they do crowns on kids because it’s more expensive and they get more money out of it. They CAN do fillings, which are cheaper. Don’t forget, they have their baby teeth still and they will still come out. So, you can either have them pull them or do fillings. The crowns are just awful.

4 Likes

When my son was 2 & a half he had to have his 4 front teeth pulled due to bottle rot & am injury. All 3 of my kids have had at least 2 cavities filled each. They brush & floss & go for dental cleanings every 6 months. It happens sometimes don’t beat yourself up. It’s the adult teeth we need to be more concerned with. But I disagree with your husband if the dentist recommends having work done, I would do it to at least save the tooth until it falls out on its own.

My 6 year old son who has never had dental work done needs work done now but he is a fighter so no telling how we are going to get the laughing gas on him

l get paid over $130 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18100 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.
M0re Info.https://DollarBasedinfo19.pages.dev/

Why would they need all that work if they are baby teeth and will fall out soon ? Lol

3 Likes

I’m just saying … get a second or even third option. Just because he’s a dentist doesn’t mean he’s honest. My friend nearly had all her teeth ripped out by a dodgy health professional.

Brush the gums or teeth plz plz every single day n after acidic fruit, or juice and/or at bedtime n you’ll b pleased on their next dental visit​:green_heart::dizzy::brown_heart::yellow_heart::orange_heart:

2 Likes

Maybe go for a second opinion but if they say the need work then do it. Even though they’re baby teeth and will eventually fall out the decay will get worse and could lead to them having to be taken out which could lead to even more issues.

1 Like

Get it done its only gonna get worse

3 Likes