What Should I Do About My Son Who Wants to Quit College?

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"Help my kid wants to quit college and he’s not even done with the first semester. He has a full scholarship and picked a perfect program that matches his personality perfectly. He wants to quit and continue in his retail job where he will make $1500 a month. He just turned 18 and is clearly immature. What do I do?"

RELATED: Gifted 12-Year-Old Is College-Bound With Dreams Of Being A NASA Engineer

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"Technically he’s 18, so if he wants to quit he can. I would voice your opinions, that he would be throwing away a scholarship but ultimately you need to support him. I have wanted to be a veterinarian since I was probably 6 or so… once I started school for it I quit. It wasn’t what I wanted and it took me all that school to realize. Maybe he realized that isn’t what he wants to do anymore. He’s 18, a lot of 18 year olds don’t know what they want to do with their life… and it’s okay for him to take the time to figure it out."

"I’m a 37 year old female (mother of 4) who is about to start law school…. Everyone has their own time schedule. He might need a break from school. Having a full scholarship does make it harder but college is not for everyone. All you can do is support him in his decision and let him know you’re there for him no matter the decision he makes."

"It’s his choice. I actually made the mistake of starting college classes before I was ready. The result? A 10 year hiatus. Im 28 year old and just now getting the ball rolling to go back. College is not the only way someone can make a living or a career. Just because it “fits his personality” does not mean it’s what he wants to do or what will make him happy. 18 is young when it comes to deciding what you will want to do the rest of your life. Would you rather him waste money on something he does not want?"

"He can do what he wants. Let him see if that’s the right decision for him or not. And if it’s a mistake he will have to deal with it."

"Best thing you can do I get to the bottom of why he wants to quit. Or why he thinks retail is better for him in the long run."

"It’s his choice he’s 18 you can’t force him to go to college if he’s not ready to fully do it give him some time and space maybe he’ll change him mind later on down the road. I mean I know people who didn’t go to college but can still make good living."

"He sounds like he should have taken a year off between high school and college so he could mature. Let him work at a retail job and see what he likes."

"Let him do it. Maybe he feels like the program he’s in isn’t what he wants, and he feels like he needs some more time to think"

"It’s his choice. College isn’t for everyone, and he isn’t that immature if already has a job. You’ll do zero good with trying to “make” him. He’ll flunk out regardless if he doesn’t want to be there. Also, there’s no TIME LIMIT on when you have to go to college/finish college."

"Seriously let him quit. I didn’t and I wanted to. I put in hardly any effort and wasted all that money barely scraping by. I didn’t even end up wanting to do what I went to school for. I’m not 31 and back in college and I have a 4.0 GPA and it’s something I want. College is very much so overrated. Especially at 18. Let him be an adult he can go back whenever he chooses and still get scholarships and federal aid.."

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: