What should I do?

My son is 15 and has been playing soccer since hes been 4. In elementary school he tried baseball and didn’t like it, so he quit. He played basketball for 3 years, then quit. He was in cub scouts for 4 years then quit. He is a sophomore in a private school and doesn’t want to play soccer once this year is over. He isn’t in any other clubs extra curricular activities. I am angry, upset and disappointed and need advice. I want to remove him from private school and just let him go to public school. I feel like he isn’t taking advantage of all they are offering and I am upset about soccer.

13 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/what-should-i-do/14574

Why are you angry? He is a sophomore, so 16? I think he is old enough to know what he likes and doesn’t like. Furthermore, if you try to push him or force him to continue playing something he doesn’t want to play he will resent you. Maybe talk to him and say okay well is there something else you’d like to try instead of soccer because I’d love to see you take full advantage of all the school has fo offer and pad your college applications. Just don’t push. I know it’s hard, but they are old enough at thag age to make their own life choices and if you so things wrong you can tarnish your relationships with him.

10 Likes

This post makes me so mad. Your son played sports for years. He didn’t quit… he followed through for years. Let him do what he wants to do as far as extra curriculars. He’s a kid. He should enjoy trying many different things.

18 Likes

Maybe he’s not a sports person (maybe that’s you?)! My son tried sports, was good at it, just didn’t like it! He’s now a percussionist in band and on the robotics team! :woman_shrugging: Not because I wanted him to be, but because that’s what he chooses! Your child is old enough to choose! Perhaps extra curricular activities at school aren’t his thing? Maybe check into local options boy scouts, karate, FFA, or even the local theater group IF (&only IF) he has an desire to! You forcing him is harming his mental health! Holding sending him to public school where he knows absolutely no one as a punishment is cruel! Maybe he wants to volunteer with a program somewhere or get a job? Most teens don’t do both at this age! Lighten-up!

9 Likes

He played this long because you gave him no other choice now he knows he has one. Best suggestion find out what he does like and start there he just might stick with it

8 Likes

We focus on grades first . If any of our kids want to play sports or any other extras like racing or Boy Scouts they must have good grades.

4 Likes

You need to chill lady. Sports or extra curricular are not that important. You have two/three more years with your son, don’t make it a nightmare

19 Likes

Sounds like your son is developing a quitting situation private school should be about school not sports.

3 Likes

Children are not robots that do what we want just be proud if he is doing good in school

2 Likes

It’s the age my son stopped playing all those sports he was really good at them too! I loved watching him play but time to move on! I just tell him to do good in school behave be good and respect everyone! I suggest things like music or let him know of different things going on like festivals food trucks in the area and marina classes learn how to navigate the waterways and handle boating ! There is also volunteering at fire company’s or getting part time job being a camp counselor after school! Ask and see what interest he has!

Maybe it’s not his dream but yours things change and time to let

3 Likes

I don’t understand why you’re upset? Maybe he’s trying to figure out what he really likes. Maybe he liked those sports he played at the time but grew out of it. Maybe he wants to do something else but he’s trying to figure out what that something is? But you getting upset and angry because he’s not doing something you want is going to push him away. Give him some time. Think of him and what he wants. Not the other way around.

1 Like

If you force him he will start to hate the one sport that he loved and he will then refuse to try anything else. Let him decide what he wants to do, maybe he has something else he is in to. He is at an age that he is old enough to make his own choices. As long as that choice does not harm him in any way then make your life simple and give him that choice. I would keep him in that private school if you can and not rip him from his friends. Good luck

Let him decide, maybe he wants to skip a year. It’s hard when you have a talented child but wants to do something different.

Private isn’t any better then public… if you find the right public school…

It’s sad for you Momma but our kids just don’t always like what we like. I made my son play baseball (which I LOVE) until he was 12 then let him decide. He quit. Broke my heart but he was happy. His happiness was more important to me than mine.

3 Likes