What should my daughter call her step dad?

I think when a child makes that decision, it’s theirs to make!

6 Likes

My son calls my husband by his actual name sometimes he slips and calls him dad. It’s whatever the child is comfortable with.

She’s a blessed little girl to have both that love her & who she loves. That’s what’s important.
Please let her call her step dad what she’d like to. It’s not about her bio dad being disrespected, it doesn’t seem. Just let her call him Dada, it’s ok. :heartpulse: BTW, my DIL has a stepdaughter, and this sweet little girl says she has 2 moms. And that’s true & sweet.

1 Like

My step daughters biological mother is absent and she calls me mom and my daughters biological father is absent and she calls her step dad just “dad” He’s been there more for her then her father ever has and she’s called him dad for years. I couldn’t imagine it being any other way.

1 Like

Let her call him Dada, if she feels that comfortable, let her. it’s her choice to make.

4 Likes

Let her call him whatever she wants

6 Likes

She’s 5. And you can’t make a child call you something they don’t want to call you. Regardless of who it is. If she wants to call him “Dad” let her.

1 Like

Okay, so previously bi-sexual, now lesbian, mom here. My wife and I both have kids from previous rerelationshipsher kids will go back and forth between calling me mommy and Stormy. They call me their mom when talking to other people about me, not their step-mom. And my kids do the same with my wife. This was their choice and we let them make it on their own.

My ex husband’s daughter, whose mom is VERY involved in her life and is an amazing mother, still calls me mommy, even though technically I’m not her step-mom anymore and have been separated from her dad for like 2+ years now. When she first started calling me mommy, I immediately messaged her mom and was like “hey, so this happened and I would like to know how you feel about that. If it’s a problem I can correct her when she does it.” Her mom was 100% okay with it, and appreciated me asking. Her main concern was what if something happened between her dad and I. I assured her that I wouldn’t just walk away from her, she was my baby too. And I haven’t, despite my ex-husbands efforts to keep her from me. Her mom basically said nope, she gets to see her whether you like it or not. :woman_shrugging:

I say it’s your daughter’s choice and if that’s what she wants then let her.

4 Likes

Let her call him dad. It’s literally the greatest honor. And she can have two.

I think you should respect what she wants

2 Likes

So a therapist told me when I was in that situation and my kids started calling him Dad to allow them to do so as they are the ones that started it on their own and the biological father was good with it after he heard its about the children and what they feel comfortable with

3 Likes

2 father figures are great , dada is appropriate for stepdad, but let her call her father dad…⚘

Let her call him whatever she wants. My daughter is my “step” daughter and calls me mom and has since she was 4. Leave it up to the kid. You don’t have to be blood to be a kids mom or dad. She calls her bio by her first name or says Mrs. And last name. She says something else to but we won’t go there. Let her pick.

1 Like

I got with my Fiancé when my daughter was 2, at first she called him by name then after a few months she started to call him Daddy and telling him she wanted him to be her Daddy. I see no issues, being a Dad has a special meaning, you don’t have to be biologically related to love, nurture, raise and support a child.

It looks like she already chose what she wants to call him. Let her call him Dada. She sees who the primary person is in her life

4 Likes

A lot of step kids call both of their dads/mom “dad” and “mom”, as well. It doesn’t take anyones “role” away from them. If calling him “dada” makes her comfortable and he’s comfortable with it, then let her.

I think you should let her call him what she feels comfortable saying.

6 Likes

My kids call my fiancé by his name and my step son calls me by my name :woman_shrugging:

Nothing wrong with dada if she calls her dad papa. Let her choose

2 Likes

I think letting her call him what she wants. Many people call more than one person dad

1 Like

It should be her choice as that’s what will be natural to her ,
dada for the active man in her life and papa for the less active sounds right to me , my dad is my stepdad even though my bio dad is still in my life I call them both dad

3 Likes

If dad is papa, step dad can totally be daddy/dada/dad
Two dads are a blessing :heart:

3 Likes

So let her call him dada. If she calls the other one papa. Who cares. If that’s what she’s comfortable doing.

My son has a step mom. I’m mom or mama and she’s mama Susie. He knows I’m his mom so it don’t matter. Children don’t call adults by first name alone so dada and the first name of that makes YOU feel better. But shouldn’t it be what makes HER feel better.

2 Likes

Honestly let her call him what ever she likes. She’s old enough to understand that she has two dads and who’s who.

2 Likes

Let her choose… she obviously recognizes him as being in that role. Let her.

2 Likes

But if he loves her takes care of her and is there for her he is a Dad too! There’s nothing wrong with it. She has two Dads then one is just a extra bonus🥰

4 Likes

So whos choice is it he only sees her as often as he does? Yours or his? My friends kid calls her step dad pops and her father dad. Other thing is are yall married or is this a long term dating situation?

1 Like

YOUR Child has already done this,
Bio Father, Papa
In house Father, Dada

LEAVE IT.

We called our beloved step grandfather “Daddy Bill”

5 Likes

Let her call him dada that’s her choice it doesn’t take away from bio dad it’s special because she has 2 dad’s it happened with my partner and my daughter when she was about the same age she asked if she could call my partner dad too and he said babygirl whatever your comfortable with I’m comfortable with now she’s 13 and calls both dad and bio and partner both refer to one another as dad when it comes to rules and discipline and she doesn’t get by with a damn thing because both her dad’s communicate and work together for what’s best for her…a name is just a name communication, respect, and love is the key

I called my husband which is my daughter step dad Michael. I let my daughter decide in her own time. Do not correct her as it’s her choice. They can have more then one dad. They figure ways around telling you which one they are referring to. Like saying my other dad.

4 Likes

Dad is “papa” so ask him if he’s ok with her calling him “dada”. All her friends have a dad… I think she needs to choose for herself. Good luck

3 Likes

My daughter did this with my husband and she was 8 at the time I think and she called him dad one day and I corrected her saying no he isn’t your dad you know who your dad is but she said to me she wanted to call him dad and he’s married to her mom so it’s okay. I asked him how he felt and he said if that’s what she wants then it’s fine. But I think it works for us because she actually calls her stepmother mom, which at first bothered me but I had to get over it because it’s what my daughter wanted

2 Likes

She called him “dada” that’s the name she chose!

Why arent u allowing her to decide what to call a person SHE id making connection with?? If step dad dont like the name then he dont need to have a name at all bcuz then he does not honor the gift of ur childs acknowledgment and love?..U and step dad should be honored she wants to include him at all. As a step child whose now a step parent the child feeling that safe with u in a privilege. Theres not a age limit on love if shes saying that already she loves him. She dont have to wait till shes 12 to kno if she loves someone shes sees putting effort into loving her. She isnt being forced. Thats natural feelings. If u tell her to stop then ur influencing her not to love her step parent. Respect the childs wishes the “papa” should be fine and those are two separate names. Ur teaching her not to feel comfortable loving her step dad equally… thats shes always gotta hive him 10% less than dad and if hes putting in the work he deserves the recognition. Yall should be greatful she choose to honor him with a name already. Hes dada. Cherish and honor the meaning behind ur bonus babies loving u that much. Dont shut love and connection down. If step dad is a safe guy whose proven over TIME his effort and worth let him be honored.

1 Like

I called and still call my step mom by her first name . But whatever works for y’all !!

Whatever she feels comfortable with. I can appreciate your maturity in wanting to respect the parental titles but you said it even she calls her bio dad Papa she can call your partner Dada if that’s what she wants to do. I believe in trying to let them develop on their own and not have any pressure about something like this as I feel there can be enough pressure on children these days with so many other things.

1 Like

I have my bio dad who I called daddy and a step dad I call dad. Just because he’s a step dad doesn’t mean he isn’t doing everything a bio dad is doing. My bio dad had a problem with me calling my step dad, dad, until I explained to him that he is my dad just as much as he is.
My kids call their step dad by his name, but if they chose to call him dad it wouldn’t be an issue. It’s their decision really.

2 Likes

What she wants too she will decide

My kids call their stepdad “Daddy” and their dad “CJ” because my husband is way more involved in their lives than their father is. They asked me if they could, I asked my husband if it was okay, and it’s been that way for a year now. They made the decision to do so. Their father didn’t like it but I told him if they feel like my husband is their daddy then that’s strictly on him for not being present in their lives. They switched the names up due to how they feel and I don’t have a problem with it. But that’s my situation… everyone’s is different

We are a blended family. My kids always called my husband by his first name which was fine because the 2 older girls baby sat his kids before we became a couple. His kids could’ve called me by my first name but eventually called me mom. Never forced them. As long as it’s respectful. Step mother was not respectful. Just saying.
(We had to ban the Cinderella video because of the wicked stepmother :person_shrugging:)

1 Like

My son calls his step-dad, dad. Just let it be.

1 Like

Whatever comes out and is natural, don’t pressure her to make her feel like she has to call him a certain name. My 2 son’s haven’t had anything to do with their bio dad for over 6 years. My husband, their stepdad has been in their lives longer than he has but they call him by his name. They do refer to him as their stepdad but have also at times said he was their dad.

My kids just call their step parents by their names. (Both of us are in their lifes) I’ve always called step parent by their name also but I was older like over 18 when I got step parents. I see nothing wrong with her calling him Dada or daddy as she calls her birth father papa as long as step parent doesn’t care she’s calling him dada/daddy …

Have her call him Daddy and what ever your BF first name is . That’s what my daughters chose to do as a kid

Let that baby call him what she wants

My son calls my dad Poppy. I think it’s cute.

1 Like

First name always for a step parent in my opinion x

4 Likes

My kids have two moms and they call us both mom

Let her choose along as its not daddy 1 and dadda 2 lol it’s cute and shows how much he means to her

It’s her choice, she will call him whatever she is comfortable with.

3 Likes

My 3 year old son called my partner ‘daddy’ because that’s what he is for my little one. I never corrected him cause I know he knows who his dad is, it’s just a name as far as I’m concerned. No harm no foul.

She chose to call him Dada. That’s his name now :grin:. I don’t feel it’s disrespectful. If bio dad does then go from there.

2 Likes

When I met my bonus son he didn’t know what to call me and he didn’t want to hurt his mom’s feelings. I told him he could call me whatever he felt comfortable calling me. The first few weeks he called me by name and now he just yells MOM when he needs something and I love it more than anything. The biggest thing that your daughter takes away from this is that she’s comfortable with whatever chooses to use. It’s okay to have 2 parents in separate places that love the child unconditionally. One is not meant to replace the other.

1 Like

I would call him ‘Pops’ or ‘Pop Pop’

She’s 5. Let her call him whatever she wants. She knows how she feels. I’ve never forced my daughter to use words on any one, her father, grandmother’s, my partner etc. She chose herself. And she’s 20 now and calls my ex (not her father!) DAD who I was with the majority of her life, and her bio father who she seen once in a while back when she was 4 yr and younger- she calls him by his first name. That was her choice. He wasn’t happy ab it but I refuse to force her to call him dad if she didn’t feel that way.
Her grandma she calls Mimi, and grandfather pap-pap.

IDK at 5 she knows who she sees daily and who puts the effort in, she knows who isn’t in her life (once a month her father sees her? That’s sad ). She may change her mind and call them BOTH dad one day. But you being worried ab respecting Her bio dad’s name— how about RESPECTING her feelings as well… if she feels step-dad is Dada then respect that.

6 Likes

She decides unless he’s not comfortable. When you only see your dad once a month and your step dad everyday…he’s a dad.

4 Likes

Let your child call him whatever she wants, coming from the same boat as your kid when I was young my step-dad is my dad and my biological father is just a father. You can’t force her to call him something she doesn’t feel comfortable with. At a later date when she’s older she can sit down with her bio dad and explain why she chose to call him that.

1 Like

I’m a step mom been one for 7 years my step kids were 5 and 8 when o met them they call me Cathy and that’s fine. If they wanted to call me mom that’s fine but I’d leave it up to them honestly what the child wants to call them It’s not hurting anyone by letting her call him dada that’s how she sees him as a second dad which is ok

3 Likes

Let her call him whatever she wants. That baby knows who is there for her and who isn’t.

6 Likes

Whatever she is comfortable with! My oldest calls her step dad by his name and will randomly call him dad. And my youngest calls him dad. Whatever your child and partner are comfortable with is best

1 Like

I don’t see the problem…if that’s what she wants to call him…and he lives the roll…then let it be…there is nothing wrong with having g more than 1

5 Likes

:heart:She should call him what she wants without any input from you or him…if he is good, good things will come on their own​:heart:

5 Likes

I would let her call her “dad” papa like she does already and since dada isn’t used let her call her stepdad dada

5 Likes

My hubby’s name is Brad so my daughter calls him Braddy and she calls her real daddy daddy he’s very involved in her life my step daughter still calls me riah because her grandma is mama because her real mom was never involved it sucks but I’m use to it

1 Like

My friend’s husband is from Guatemala and they call him Papi :blue_heart:

I was in a similar situation. I let my son call his step dad what he wanted to and felt comfortable calling him. He has went from Chad, daddy Chad to daddy. I made it up to him and he still has a relationship with his dad and calls him daddy.

Its normal for kids to call someone they see more Mama or Dada I know from experience cause my step mom was the only one around so I called her Mom even though I had a biological mom shes was just never around. I call them both Mudder sometimes (newfie thing) lol & sometimes I say Fadder when talking about my dad lmao.

Whatever your child chooses. Dad is even ok. More Love never hurt anyone

3 Likes

You seem to be worried what her biological dad will say. Why not speak with him and ask what he is comfortable with his daughter calling step dad. Co parenting is a wonderful think.

1 Like

nothing wrong with calling him dad…she can have two dads one who made her and one who raised her

2 Likes

I think it’s whatever she’s comfortable with. Seems dada is it. Let it be :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

let her call him what she wants, what is the big deal she can have 2 Dad’s PaPa and DaDa if that is what she wants it should be. She honors both of them, and someday she may have 2 Mom get used to it

1 Like

My son at two started calling my husband daddy and his dad dad. My “step” son (he’s been my son since he was 1.5) at two started calling me mommy. It was never anything we discussed we just let it happen naturally

2 Likes

If she doesn’t call her dad “dad” and calls him papa then i dont see why she couldnt call her step dad dada. But some family friends that i have with 2 dads in the equation they call one dad and one baba wich is chinese for dad

7 Likes

I would let her call him what she wants to :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: teach her that it is her bonus dad. It does not take away anything from her biological dad, she can have 2 dads.

3 Likes

Dad is something to earn. If she feels comfortable calling him dad and he’s cool with it let her. Many times step-dads are more involved and earn that title more than bio dads

7 Likes

Let her choose what she wants to call him!!

4 Likes

I call my step dad “dad” because he has earned that title through and through.

I call my biological father by his first name and have for as long as I can remember. I haven’t talked to him in over a decade, and I hardly ever think about him.

I am close with his father though, and call him Grandpa. Because again- he has earned that.

:woman_shrugging: I would say to let her pick what she calls her step dad. If you push the issue, and don’t let her call him dada then she might feel alienated and upset with you for not letting her call him dada- especially if he behaves more like a dad than Papa.

4 Likes

Leave her alone and let her choose to call them what she wants to bc she is the one viewing them as she does. It should always be the child’s choice bc they call ppl the name in which they are most comfortable with. If she calls her bio dad papa then I see no problem in her calling her bonus dad dada. It has nothing to do with wether or not she knows who her actually dad is it’s her giving them their own personal to her titles. You should never push onto your child what they should or shouldn’t give someone important to them as a title.

2 Likes

If she call her real dad papa what’s wrong with calling the other Dada? She should call him what she wants

2 Likes

My kids alternate between dad and my husband’s name (or woody his nick name) they are 14,9 and 11 so we never really forced what to call him. Maybe pops? I call my in laws ma and pops since I already have parents and it makes it less confusing for my husband to figure out who I’m talking about :rofl:

It’s just fine,leave it at that

She may decide for herself

I had a step mom and step dad growing up and i called them mom and dad…whatever your child wants to call him that should be her choice

It’s up to her honestly. Let her decide what to call him and allow it

1 Like

I have 5 kids. My eldest 2 have the same dad, My 2 middle have the same dad and my youngests dad is my bf. My older kiddos call him Maui (he looks like Maui I guess :rofl:), Christian, or dad.
My oldest daughter chooses to live with her bio dad but I have my second daughter, and my 2 sons full time so they all just choose what they are comfortable with.

What a child comes up with is special and real, I would not interfere with that.

4 Likes

Mine calls him by his name.

1 Like

When I was with my ex my daughter called him “daddy Kyle” and her father “daddy”

I let my kids chose what they want to call their step dad.

1 Like

I think this is awesome of you! There’s a lot of people who don’t respect the person they chose to have kids with when things don’t work out. I’d talk to the ex & see how he feels about the name she wants to call the stepdad.

I say leave it up to her and your husband. I’ve been in my bonus daughters life since she was 7 months old. She has called me mom or mama since about 10 months old. My husband and I have never told her what she has to call me, we left it up to her always, but she chose that and has stuck with it since. She will be 7 on monday :heart:

2 Likes

As a step parent I let the kids call me what they choose, sometimes it’s mom, sometimes it’s my name. And same with my husband. I have never forces a name on the kids. It has always been their choice

1 Like

Please allow your daughter to call him what she feels most comfortable with.You aren’t taking away her Dads role or title,she already has one for him.You aren’t trying to replace her father,she is just choosing to call her step dad what feels right to her.

2 Likes

On one hand I am all for kids calling a step up parent what their little hearts desires. But also, I would tread very carefully. I currently have a friend who’s ex has went from just being an ass to completely vindictive and control crazy. And I believe it has a lot to do with the fact the kids call her boyfriend “daddy (insert name”. They openly tell their dad that they prefer “daddy (insert name)” to him. And I mean these kids do have many many good reasons for this. But it has caused the on going custody battle even worse.
My husband is my daughter’s step dad, and she has always called him dad, by choice. But her bio dad has also never been in the picture. So, I saw no reason to not allow her to call my husband dad or daddy.

My daughter calls her step dad by his name but references him as her dad when speaking of him in third person.
Her birth father hasn’t been very present in her life But we all get along when he has.
Stepdad has been in her life since she was 2.
She is 23.
My now adult bonus daughter calls me by my first name and refers to me as B-mama ( bonus mom).
I think it’s sweet.

1 Like

Let her call him what she chooses, it’ll help their relationship more. She isn’t asking to call him the same thing as her bio dad, so I assume she recognizes the difference between them. He is her step-dad, so he’s a father in her life, if Dada works and both of them are comfortable with it, let her.

2 Likes

Let her call him what ever she wants I mean if he’s more of a dad to her then her own father then that should be her dad.

1 Like

She should be able to call him whatever she feels comfortable with, as long as it doesn’t make her step-father uncomfortable.

My oldest calls her biological papa, and then my husband dad. She decided. I respected that.

1 Like