What should you ask when touring a daycare?

First time sending my lil babe to a daycare, we’re touring an in home daycare next week! What are some questions you normally ask while touring a daycare for first timers?

6 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/what-should-you-ask-when-touring-a-daycare/20442

Are they infant/child Cpr certified. Do they have their medication certificate in case you kiddo needs any sort of meds while there.
Ask about the schedule.

1 Like

Make pop in visits …numerous times ….at all different time aid the day.

3 Likes

Daily schedule
Hours of operation
Food included or do you pack it?
What items do you need to provide? ie blanket, water bottle, diapers.
DCF certificate
Teacher to student ratio.
Can they give medication if needed. ie nebulizer etc
Curriculum?
Will they help potty train?

1 Like

Cpr certified, class schedules, meals, what are you required to bring, is there cameras, building security, potty training, closures

2 Likes

Policies for carseats , always put your baby in and out yourself and don’t leave baby in if they are sleeping. Random pop overs during breaks , who can and can’t pickup child from care, cpr and first aid training certificate/card . Know what you are responsible to provide . And know the emergency plans in case of fire or weather or chastrophic event . Background checks for every adult who will be present or lives in household

2 Likes

Teacher/child ratio
Teacher turnover
Emergency and sickness protocol.
Curriculum
Check school reviews
Ask about cameras and access to be able to view your child’s classroom and play area.

3 Likes

I ask what the schedule is, what they do when a child is upset/crying, what do they do during naps.

I worked at a daycare & went into the Baby room once to ask a teacher a question & they had the blankets swaddled around the babies mouths to keep their pacifiers in so they wouldn’t have to deal w them. That’s an extremely red flag!! Also, if they mix rice with bottles, red flag! If they let babies cry it out, red flag!

1 Like

How thorough the background checks are and what certifications the employees have.

2 Likes

Ask about pets. My son was bitten at a daycare

2 Likes

Number of children in care,
Hours of operation / late or early fees
What they provide / you send
Meals / allergies
Nap / routine
Receipts / invoices / payment dates

As someone who ran a home daycare , they should provide you with a hard copy of all their policies/regulations and expectations.

1 Like

I Get Paid 0ver $ 107 per hour w0rking from h0me. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 13879 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The p0ssibility with this is limitles

SEE M0RE HERE…>> https://JobsCareer137.pages.dev

I always ask about outside time!!i want my kids outside every day. I also ask about alternatives to nap time because my daughter was done with naps by the time she was in daycare. Open and close times. Also inquire about their values!!the daycare i moved my kids to last didnt foster indepenence and it rly bugged me

1 Like

I Get Paid 0ver $ 107 per hour w0rking from h0me. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 13526 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The p0ssibility with this is limitles

SEE M0RE HERE…>> https://JobsCareer143.pages.dev

Most important, how many kids they have , their age , is she works alone or someone else is helping her , if she is cpr / first aide certification, references that you can actually call and verified, ask for a background check

2 Likes

Ask if everyone living in, or visiting the home has passed a background check, ask if chemicals, medications, and poisons are kept locked away and out of reach of children, ask if children are monitored at all times, ask if there are firearms or other weapons stored in the home, and if so are they locked away securely where they can not be accessed by children (or anyone else who should not have access)

1 Like

Schedule/routine
Credentials
Nap methods
Discipline strategies
How many children in care and the ages of the children
Do they stay at the centre or go on outings(do they walk or drive or bus)

How many teachers in room n do u have aides? How long is Naptime. How many teachers in naproom. What lock down procedures in place.

Ask if they have a live camera to see what’s going on in the daycare ?

In-home daycares are trickier. How regulated they are depends on the state. Definitely ask who lives at the house, and who spends significant time at the house. There are cases where boyfriends sexually abused children at an in-home daycare. Since they weren’t officially residents of the home, authorities didn’t know until it was too late.

2 Likes

If your baby is bottle fed ask about their feeding procedure, mine were all fed on demand so a rigid feeding schedule was a no go for me

1 Like