What size jeans would my teen wear?

First off, I have health and anxiety issues that keep me from going to stores or this wouldn’t even be a question. I’d like to purchase them online. My 13 yr old daughter is 5’5 or 5’6, (her dad is 6’5) she currently wears a girls size 18 jeans (from The children’s place I think its called) she had a pair of LEI 5R that got way too tight, the 18 jeans are getting to the point where she will soon grow out of them. She is not overweight, and not slender, I’d say athletic build. I cannot for the life of me or Google figure out what size she’d be in juniors or womens. Looking for bootcut jeans, I dont want her jeans skin tight or too baggy. This is driving me insane. Also last school year she wore a women’s size large Aeropostale Polo, not sure if that info helps. Thanks!

69 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What size jeans would my teen wear?

Take her measurements, leg inseam length, and waist. Online purchases will usually give you the size to order if you have the measurements

4 Likes

My daughter too wears a size 18 in youth girls. We just bought her junior size 8!

4 Likes

I’m 5’3 and about 125, I wear anywhere from a 2 to 4. Depending the brand but I usually buy American eagle. After birth I was about 140 and wore a 5 or 6. You can also choose a long jean in this brand for taller girls. They are expensive but they certainly last. I’ve had some pants since high school. 2011 was when I graduated. Hope that can help some. I’d probably try a 7 first bc ae do run bigger than Hollister and others I found. Plus you can always return for free or trade em out!

Aeropostale has a great size chart

You really should take her to try things on because every style/brand fits differently.

7 Likes

Every single brand of clothing will fit differently and even the style sizes will vary. She’s probably a 6 or 8 at Aeropostale

4 Likes

Sounds like my daughter who now where’s a size 8 or 10 in womans.

1 Like

Take her to actually try on the jeans. Sizing is so off that she can be one size in one brand and a completely different size in another. If they stretch, are high rise, etc. they will also fit differently.

6 Likes

Its according to the name brand I can wear 2 3 & 5 in junior 's

Try size 7 or 9 tall from Jr dept.

There is truly no way of knowing what is going to fit her. Can a family friend or relative take her shopping ti see what fits and what she likes?

6 Likes

3 or 4 probably have all teens

Could you have someone else bring her?

3 Likes

I am 5ft weigh 155 and wear some 6’s
some 8’s depends on brands

1 Like

she should really go try on some

2 Likes

Well I’m 5.4 and have a mom belly at 190 pounds …… I’m a size 4 in Ardennes I’m a size 12 in Walmart I’m a size 8 in areopostal and a size 6 in lululemon leggings ……

1 Like

Do you know someone who can take her to try on clothes?

1 Like

Let a relative take her shopping

3 Likes

Take her physical measurements and compare it to the charts on the website your looking at. Natural waistline, hips/butt area and inseam. Every brand will fit her different. I’d have someone take her so she know they fit properly.

You need to drive her to the store and give her money and let her go try on pants and let HER buy what SHE is comfortable in period

9 Likes

I’m 5’6 and I weigh about 130 and I wear a size 5-6 in juniors. if she’s more athletic built I would say she’s probably a eight or nine in juniors. I was a size 9-10 in High school being 5’6 and waiting 150. When I was more athletic built

3 Likes

You need to use tape measure and look at the size chart

1 Like

Unfortunately she needs to try on different brands. They all fit differently. If you arent physically able…then let her dad or other relative tske her in your place

7 Likes

Buy 3 sizes and then return the other 2 ? With a company that does returns
Look at the net together do some internet shopping together

By a seamers tape measure and measure her. It’s the only way to do it.

Take measurements if you’re looking to buy online. Leg, hip, waist, torso etc. while the junior styles may appeal to her if she’s got a more athletic build then she may prefer women’s clothing rather than teens as it’s usually more lenient in the thigh region to accommodate larger (or muscular) thighs.

I’m not sure if she does anymore, but a few years ago Fergie had a line available online.

Take your kid shopping lady.

3 Likes

I’m 5’6 weigh 165 and wear an 8

YouTube how to take garment measurements. Nearly every website has the sizing measurements for each item on the particular items description. Spoken from experience. I cannot in store shop either.

2 Likes

If 5’s are too tight I’d go with a 7-9 but it is best if you let her try on clothes because all brands fit differently.

For those telling the OP to take her daughter to try things on… Did you fail reading comprehension in school? It’s literally the first sentence.
People need to realize and accept that not everyone is “normal”. Not everyone can fit into that neat little box.

5 Likes

Sizes vary with each company…that’s why I buy from one or 2 companies through the years…you can take her body measurements and go online to the company and see what their measurements are…Amazon often will have measurements and comment if it runs true to size…good luck!

2 Likes

If you’re set on doing it online, you can use Amazon’s “try it first”. Order a few pairs in different sizes and send the ones that don’t fit back without having to pay for them. I’ve done this for other things and it works well.

6 Likes

Measure her waist and length. Most brands have a size chart

1 Like

Does your husband and daughter also not go shopping? Can he not take his child clothes shopping? Sizes vary depending where you get them from. I would suggest having a family member take her shopping to try things on at least and then you can buy online.

5 Likes

Old Navy is pretty true to size. I would try a size 6 or 8. And they have bootcut.

Unfortunately it’s basically impossible to know for sure, I can’t figure it out even trying them on. Have you thought about Amazon’s try before you buy for prime members? You can try things on without being charged.

2 Likes

18’s are generally Plus for kids. A 10/12 is supposed to be on par with 0-1 in juniors so my guess is a 7. But You need her waist, hip, and inseam measurements. And even then, she will need to go in stores to try different brands because sizing isn’t universal and the same style in the same brand doesn’t always tend to fit the same.

Ok so I am a 14 in women’s and a 15 in juniors. So she could be in juniors sizing or womens sizing. You just have to go try stuff on.

Amazon in the uk have a buy and try before u pay type thing, u just send back what u don’t want/fit, maybe US have it too?

Ask a relative or close friend to take her shopping, your daughter may like the shopping experience of trying different brands etc

3 Likes

I’m 5’5 weight 111 and wear size 5 to a 7

Medium or size 6 or 7

Different manufactures sizes vary. She really need to try stuff on, especially being 13. Please have someone take her shopping.

7 Likes

Try a pair of 7 and a pair of 9

Unfortunately like others said, sizes differ from brand to brand. Drives me nuts best bet is order a seamress measuring tape and get like someone said above hips, legs, torso etc. That way you’ll know how many inches to look for. If a half size, u always just go next # up. So like 18 1/2 hips do 19.

1 Like

I’m 5’2” 109 and wear a 3/4…Slinder build…so maybe try a 7

It’s impossible to know , size varies from store to store , if your anxiety is because of people , try to go as soon as the store open , you can let her try one to find out the size and buy more online , if that is not possible ask a family member or a close friend to take her for you , they can video call you so you can see the fit

5 Likes

My 16 yo daughter,is 5’5 and is in a size 13 in women’s(she’s not over weight and has lost a lot of weight)

Amazon (try before you buy) they give you a few days to try on after the clothes have been deleted. It was an amazing option for me when ordering nursing shirts. I’d say probably a 7 or 8. I have one of my girls who is a 20 in girls but wears an 8 in women’s pants.

You can measure her waist and length and look at their size chart online

2 Likes

Let someone take her shopping. That’s a experience all girls like and it’s not fair that she can’t because you have agoraphobia. Give her some money and let her go have fun with a responsible person. Don’t put your disability on her :woman_shrugging:t3:

10 Likes

Put a mask on, get over it and take her shopping :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Use a measuring tape. Look at size measurements online. Order. Return if not fitting right

Unfortunately do to the way designers have clothes mow days shes best off trying on stuff go early morning or late night when there’s less of a crowd my oldest is 5’6 n slender but depending on the brand n style she can wear from a 4 to a 7-8 in womans

Jean sizes are almost meaningless beyond knowing larger numbers are going to be bigger. So much depends on cut and fit, even within same company. May be trial and error online. Can someone take her and stream video to you?

Amazon try before you buy

I think if you can’t bring yourself to take her shopping that you should ask her father to take her or another person that you were close with.

2 Likes

If she’s athletic I would try a 7 first. Im not sure her weight but maybe even a 9 Im guessing about 130lbs(ish) by your description. I found Old Navy to be a looser fit vs most of the name brand of the name brand. I would also recommend the Amazon try before you buy.

Honestly you won’t know without her going in a store and trying them on. Someone can be the same height and weight and wear different sizes because they hold weight differently.

3 Likes

Measuring tape is the best way to go

1 Like

Can someone take her for you or maybe a friend’s mom? Or put a mask on, take your anxiety meds and take her.

Have a friend take her shopping.

1 Like

Measure her waist ,hips and her inseam than Google size chart for girl / woman jeans . remember different jean brands usually fit differently

3 Likes

Take the size you think…grab ea hip area and wrap around their neck…thats the size they are supposed to wear.

You can always use a tape measure

If you get on Aeropostale they have the measurements you need for each size pants I’m 155 5foot and I wear a 6 short

Get a tape measure and take her measurements. Each brand is different so the size will vary.

2 Likes

I’d say maybe a 6 to and 8 if she has an athletic build my daughter is 13 and athletic but stocky and she’s in a 12 to 14 depending on the place we go it sometimes is a 10 good luck mama I hope you find the right type of clothes

1 Like

You can try juniors or women’s

She’s 13, does she have friends or cousins that are a bit older? Could you drop them off and let them go in the store while you sit just outside and let her try on a few pairs.
You could even video chat her while she is there.
Jeans are crazy different in sizes depending on the brand and style.

2 Likes

Mine was a 10/12 in junior’s and 8 in women’s, after growing out of 18.

1 Like

I say carry her to a old navy store, they have the best selections of jeans of all sizes for her to try on. I would think she is in a junior 7 or 9, women maybe 6 or size 8

2 Likes

That girl needs to visit a store to try on. Don’t let your illnesses effect her. She’s 13? Send her with an aunt, group of friends, have them send pics before buying. Different brands will be different sizes. My daughter wears anywhere from an 8-12 in juniors depending on the brand and fit.

10 Likes

Tape measure and depending on brand you can see the sizing charts per company online also there is Amazon prime wardrobe try before you buy on clothes. Good luck

Size 2 or 3 if she’s an 18 in kids

Best thing try on some my guess would be size 7

1 Like

My daughter is 15 she’s not fat she’s not super skinny she has the thighs and the butt. In juniors we start at a 7 and go to a 15 depends on the brand and where I buy them from. Clothes are made so different these days. Or if she gets jeggings she can wear a large. I hate clothes shopping but best to try on being that they are all mad different

Ladies size 5 or 6 (maybe 7 depending on brand) is basically the same as a child’s 18/20. My daughter wears a kids 18 and I wear a ladies size 8 and I can wear hers but not do them up lol

My 13 year old is a cheerleader an athletic build about 125lbs and wears a size 2/3 depending brand. They are a little big around the waist but she needs them for her thighs

1 Like

Amazon offers “Try before you buy” on a lot of clothing. That would really help, that way she could try them on and see how they worked for her. I would get a few different sizes so you could be sure and then send back what doesn’t work. :heart:

2 Likes

Your should do her measurements.
Waist (across her belly button), hips (widest point), inseam (inside her leg where it meets her private area to her ankle or top of her foot).
That’ll give you a better idea.

3 Likes

Get off your ass and take her shopping!!

I get that you have some problems. Do you have friends or relatives close by that can run your daughter to the store? She’s 5’5 or 5’6, how much does she weigh? She might be into women’s sizes jeans now. She really ought to try them on. She may need to watch for the right length. There’s really no way to know without trying them on at her age. And you don’t want them exact size… leave a little extra room. She’s probably going to grow a bit this year yet.

1 Like

I’d say a 5 or 7 my girl is 12 and 140 lbs and 5’4. She’s into a 5 but it’s getting tight. So I’m doing a 7 now😊

1 Like

I recommend this spiritual man called Dr pinzolo spell home that helps me bring back my husband and reunite my family with peace and love. He also helped my sister with her pregnancy her herbal medicine that gave her a miracle twin. His love spells are perfect with no complications contact him now if you needed any help is capable to help everyone his link below​:point_down::point_down::point_down:

2 Likes

If LEI JUNIORS SIZE 5 Was tight
I’d say Juniors size 7 .

3 Likes

As a mother who suffers from severe anxiety but makes every sacrifice I can for my children… You can’t suck it up for an hour to take her to try on clothes?! :roll_eyes: Suck it up, do you have any idea what an impact your behavior will have on her if you don’t get over yourself?! Go ahead Karen’s, come for me… This is atrocious behavior for a mother and you can’t change my mind.

Take her to the store

4 Likes

Measure her waist and inseam. Go to tractor supply or farm and fleet and buy by waist and inseam. I ALWAYS bought mine that way cause NOTHING else fit right

I understand having mental health issues sometimes get in the way of daily life. But that’s your child. You can send her to the mall with a family member, mom, sister, aunt or grandma. I have Anxiety, Depression and PTSD. I won’t let anything get in the way of my daughter’s happiness just because I have mental health issues. I can’t walk through the mall anymore because I was in a serious car accident 11 years ago and I broke my right ankle and knee. I’ve had titanium plates and screws. But I send my daughter to the store with my mom. We also order things online. You either need to start taking her measurements. Or send ger with a family member. You actually sound like you’re holding her back from having nice clothes.

10 Likes

Im sorry mama, but every brand wears differently. She needs to try them on.
Maybe she can go shopping with friends?

2 Likes

I’d say juniors size 7 since you mentioned 5s were to tight

Whatever size fits ?

2 Likes

Try measuring her go to Amazon and look for clothes she likes and look at the size charts and measure her to the size chart

1 Like

Take a tape measure and see what she is. Try different sizes on at the store too.

2 Likes

Can someone else take the kid shopping for a proper fit?

There’s a saying “Don’t let your storm get your kids wet.” Kid deserves proper fitting clothes, if you can’t do it then find someone who can take her. Your issues can’t hold her back. Seek help with the shopping, she will appreciate it.

11 Likes

Isn’t there a relative or friend that could take her for you?

2 Likes