What to do for postpartum hair loss?

Has anyone lost any hair after childbirth?? My hair stylist told me it would happen when I asked her to thin it out a bit. She warned me and she was right. She said most women she has seen it has happened to. I wanna cry because hubby finally noticed on the sides in the front when I pin my bangs back. :disappointed: I lose clumps every day in the shower and then when I blow dry it or straighten it. I take a multivitamin but she recommended that biotin could help. I guess I just wonder if this has happened to anyone on here? How long did it last for? Does it grow back? :sob: I am 4 months postpartum and it started a month ago.

24 Likes

Get your thyroid checked.

Mine still falls out. My baby is 14 months old. I had couple of bald spots. Itā€™ll grow back. Keep taking your prenatal

It happened to me and it scared the :poop: out of me! No one warned me about it. Mine lasted a month or so. Mine is thinner than it was before pregnancy but most came back. Good luck, this part sucks, I feel for you !

Yes, this happened to me! It took a few months but finally stopped and is growing back now :blush:

Take your prenatal vitamins they will help

Same has happened to me. My stylist said it usually happens at the 3-4 month mark Iā€™m at 5 months and mine started about 3 1/2-4 months postpartum. Not sure how long it lasts. I donā€™t remember having this much hair loss with my first child. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s the hormone change. She said it doesnā€™t last long. Hopefully it grows back. :crossed_fingers:

This is why I wonā€™t lighten my roots until way after because most of it will fall out

Itā€™s supposed to be only because your hair stops shedding at its normal rate whole pregnant so after you have your baby, you have extra to lose. I felt like I lost a lot but my hair never actually seemed thinner then before I was pregnant. I agree with the recommendations of getting your thyroid checked if youā€™re experiencing obvious hair loss

Keep taking prenatalsā€¦

Yes!! Itā€™s normal. Continue taking prenatal vitamins & I also took hair skin nails gummies from Walmart.

Yes The Great Hair Migration starts around 3mo post Pardum, hang in there, some will come back. What you are losing is just the extra that didnā€™t fall out while pregnant.

Yes. For months. But itā€™s fine now.
I have lots and lots of thick hair so I wasnā€™t really upset with what Iā€™m left with.
Some arenā€™t so lucky from what Iā€™ve heard!

No. But i have long curly hair. It falls out by the handfuls daily and i still have a whole nest on my head :joy::joy: i wish it would lighten up

I lost it during one of mine and my other pregnancy I had new hair growth . It looked someone cut bangs and messed up lol :joy:

1 Like

Yes definitely normal. Took me over a year

This made my hair finally stop falling out and you can no longer see my bold spots. Ive only been taking it for a month in a half. 1serving per day.

Happened all 3 times to meā€¦:sob: ā€¦ It sux so badā€¦ keep taking vitamins and try kerinque shampoo & conditionerā€¦worked pretty well for me but itā€™s kinda pricey

I have bald spots in the front. It will come back! I was a bit horrified at first but it looks so much better after it grew in even a little bit.

after my son i lost quite a bit of hair it thinned back out to slightly what it was before i was pregnant. with my daughter i knew it could happen so i took the precautions and started the biotin vitamin. biotin helps a lot i would advise it. eventually itll stop falling out and go back to what it was before pregnancy as ur hormones go back to normal.

Its completely normal. All the hormone shifts. Keep taking prenatals instead of a regular vitamin. And can def add a biotin supplement but it might not help bcuz the hair loss is hormonal.

If you have a Costco by the biotin shampoo in blue bottle it helps alot .

Yup! Happens & it grows back. Iā€™ve got the annoying & still growing baby hairs to prove it. I took biotin.

1 Like

From what I read it happen after birth with the hormones dropping. It takes about 12 months to get back to normal.

I have a bald spot and am thinning in the front. Iā€™ve tried everything to help it, and it wonā€™t go away

I have 3 boys. This is the only thing that has EVER worked for me. A friend of mine uses ā€œitā€™s a 10ā€ but I didnt have as good results as she did. Been using this for nearly a year and Iā€™ll never go back. This bottle was $10 on amazon. Iā€™ve had it a little over a month now.

It usually comes back hon. Very very few women have this problem long term, itā€™s just all the hormones while your pregnant and then you just lose them. Youā€™ll be ok again

Hair skin an nail vitamins mine was not bad at all only lasted two weeks for me but I take really good care or my hair

Been losing it like crazy! I started using a lush shampoo bar and it seems to be slowing down! I am also 4 month pp

My daughter is 3 and my hair is still growing back from the postpartum hair loss, Iā€™m 8months postpartum with my 2nd baby, and my hair is now starting to fall out. Itā€™s completely normal, itā€™s your hormones trying to re-balance

This happened to me too. Then I decided to cut it short. Which didnā€™t really help the situation- baby is now 13 months and bang area is where I lost the most is still growing in. I look aweful.

Yuuup! Mine started falling out 3moā€™s PP! I got pregnant with my second child right when it started falling out. A LOT was coming out every single day. It stopped around 5moā€™s PP. itā€™s all growing back now.

Wow Iā€™m really luckyā€¦ Ever since I fell pregnant my hair has become fuller and healthier while before it was thinner. Iā€™m sorry ladiesā€¦ that must be difficult to go through.

Mine started thinning and now itā€™s coming back gray in the front. Iā€™m 29 with a 2.5 year old.

Itā€™s called postpartum Alopecia and it happens! I had it with my last baby and it does grow back. Depending on what phase you are in with your growth cycle too. The three stages of hair growth are the anagen, catagen, and telogen phases.

Wow I am surprised to hear how many this happens to!! The front sides are so thin itā€™s like receding. I can kind of hide it and make it less noticeable but itā€™s just crappy. I already am working out every day with Beachbody to get rid of that mom belly. Have those good ol mom stretch marks. But hair loss on top of it all?? What do the men deal with?! Lol nothing. I have had my thyroid checked several times. I have had it checked too recently to have it checked again. Itā€™s always on the low end of normal. I bet one day it will be low but not just yet. I ambjust really struggling with my post-baby image. Love my girl to death and I would do it again and again, just still crappy I guess.

Iā€™m 9 months PP and syill losing my hair. My sis in law was around 2 yrs pp when she stopped

Keep taking your prenatal vitamins for 6 months.

It happens because when you are pregnant, your hair doesnā€™t tend to fall out at the normal rate. So when you give birth, your head sheds allllll the hair you would have lost the whole time you were pregnant. It seems like an excessive amount but it really is what you would have lost anyway. It just feels alarming because it seemingly happens within a short time after birth. This is normal unless you are getting bald patches or your hair is a lot thinner than it was before you were pregnant.

This happens often, your hair will go back to how it was before pregnancy. Pregnant women arenā€™t losing as much hair as normal for hormonal reasons which is why many pregnant women feel their hair looks fuller, so after having your baby and your hormones going back to normal, the hair that you gained during pregnancy will fall out. Donā€™t worry about this :heart:

Mine grows back about a year post pardum. I take b vitamins, iron, omegas, magnesium, vit D

Mine did! I had REALLY thick hair, seriously, I would put it in a pony tail and it literally looked like a horses tail. Because my hair was so thick, others couldnā€™t tell when I started losing it, but I sure could

Biotin is awesome i had to have all my hair cut off when i got in a car accident and it really helped my hair grow back faster.

It all comes back but you can look into vitamins like biotin it helps with hair growth. Or even continue taking prenatal vitamins.

:100: Iā€™m 9 months pp and just starting to get it back. I add collagen peptides to my coffee every morning and take a hair nail vitamin as well.

No worries mama! It will all come back! I kept taking prenatalā€™s and it took about a yearā€¦ :wink:

I have bald spots in the front. It will come back! I was a bit horrified at first but it looks so much better after it grew in even a little bit.

Yes biotin works has to be 3000gm or more to work.There 5000gm itā€™s makes a big different
Takes about 1month for results.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What to do for postpartum hair loss? - Mamas Uncut

Donā€™t wash it every day. Keep it loosely tied up and keep taking your vitamins

2 Likes

I keep losing my hair alsoā€¦ I dont wash it everydayā€¦ Maybe every couple daysā€¦ Nothing seems to work eitherā€¦ My daughter is 4 months also

Continue taking prenatals and biotin. Mine got worse 6 month postpartum.

2 Likes

Nioxin systems helped me and keep taking your prenatal vitamins

2 Likes

My hair did that and I had Kidney disease. Eat protein and lots of it. My hair came back

Itā€™s pretty normal to shed hair postpartum, even what seems like A LOT of hair, but any concerns I would first address with your doctor (but itā€™s normal, we have lustrous locks during pregnancy and then itā€™s gonešŸ˜”, just like our ā€˜bumpā€™ now looks like a deflated air bag for a little while). Take care of yourself and keep up on nutrition it will help you look and feel your best.
I kept my hair trimmed regularly and a simple, easy to manage style that I could pull back or put up in a clip.

4 Likes

Keep taking vitamins

Mine was like that after first pregnancy. I cut it and it stoppedā€¦ after second baby (now 5 months) same problemā€¦ nothing helps so I am going to cut it again. Works for meā€¦and luckily my hair grows pretty quickly.

Follow Dr Dray on Instagram and YouTube She is a drā€¦ she covers a lot of great topics including hair loss and growth,skin care etc.
she shares what can help and what wonā€™t.
Best of luck to youā€¦ this too shall pass :heart:

Rosemary drops in your shampoo works

1 Like

This is absolutely normal! Keep taking your vitamins and just know it will eventually stop! It seems like forever when itā€™s happening but just like everything pregnancy related passes. I know itā€™s frustrating (this happened after having both of my kiddos). I also worked for several years in dermatology and thereā€™s nothing really you can do but let it run its course. Usually it starts to resolve after about 3 months.

2 Likes

Cut the off, as short as you can think of!

4 Likes

My son will be 4 months on the 19th. Iā€™m having same issue and I donā€™t wash my hair every day. But my hair is shedding like crazy. He barely grabs it while Iā€™m burping him and it comes out in his hand. I donā€™t know what else to do. And my hair is also short.

Iā€™m currently dealing with this too. My son is almost 4 months old and my hair comes out in clumps! Iā€™m not sure if youā€™ve heard this but if you have had Covid that causes hair loss too and I had it back in December. I take vitamins daily and I plan on getting a hair cut to see if that helps

Iā€™m almost 2 years PP and still shedding :roll_eyes: I think the fact that Iā€™m still breast feeding probably doesnā€™t help.

Vit d, biotin and prenatal helped me. Unfortunately itā€™s normal to shed after pregnancy.

I lost most of my hair for my first and cried and cried. My hair is my life Iā€™ve worked hard on it. Second baby 4 months PP it started to shed but I managed to make it stop. For one I only wash my hairs on thursdays, yup Iā€™ve heard but my hair gets greasy many times. So if need be train your hairā€¦ if you wash 3x plus a week thatā€™s why itā€™s oily. You need to let you natural oils do itā€™s magic. Two I do a rice water wash twice a month! Two table spoons of rice and a sealed mason jar, clean/ rinse your rice. Drain then add rice to jar, add 1 cup of water and let sit for 24h. Get a good head scrubber too. When washing your hair make sure you shampoo twice and then conditioner, for the shampoo youā€™re supposed to activate it everytime so message between your hands until activated.

When out of the shower especially if you shower before bed, always braid your hair! Scrunchies only and limit your heat! Also take one a day vitamins and that should help!!

I cut mine short, a bob. And then I took some zinc vitamins. Literally the only way I could cope! Good luck! Xxx

Absolutely normal. Continue your regular vitamins. Donā€™t let people sell you bs. You should be getting to the end of it soon. Postpartum alopecia is a real thing that many many women experience to varying degrees.

Sugar bear hair vitamins, r + co biotin shampoo and conditioner, use a boar bristle hair brush, and avoid pulling hair back tight for a while

Itā€™s normal from your hormones. Eat a well rounded diet, stay hydrated, take a good vitamin and add biotin. Make sure youā€™re being good to your hair as well!

I had my only child 11 years ago and my hair still falls out!

1 Like

I had my son almost 6 months ago, and Iā€™m still losing chucks of hair! Idk what to do, good luck xx

Started losing hair around 3 months PP. same thing happened with my son 5 years ago. For me it only lasted about 2 months. Once I got to what it was pre pregnancy i went back to normal.

I have the same issue, I was spending showers crying bc it was getting so bad. (Iam absolutely no doctor so this is just a personal recommendation) but I started using this shampoo and it hasnā€™t stopped falling out but itā€™s dramatically improved and my hair looks and feels so much better in general

Black garlic shampoo

Biotin. I take 10,000mg a day. 1 tiny pill and my hair stopped falling out

1 Like

Start taking prenatals again. I havenā€™t had a kid in almost 12 yrs. Still take those little wonder vitamins, never stopped, and my hair is great and my nails would be great to if I wasnā€™t a chronic nail biter.

1 Like

I continued my prenatal vitamin, added biotin and got a shampoo from Sallyā€™s to help but itā€™s still a mess

No suggestions, at allā€¦ I never had that problem with any of my pregnancies(3 children aged 29, 25, 8).
But I do shedā€¦ A LOT. Iā€™m talking clogging the bathtub drain, breaking/clogging vacuums. Itā€™s RIDICULOUS. But itā€™s always happened, since as far back as I remember. My hair is not thin at all, for the amount of loose hair we have all over the house.
I do take a woman one-a-day, a collagen vitamin, and hair, skin & nails gummies.

Keep taking prenatals. My hair is still falling out 8m pp. Plus i had covid 2 months ago and that has made it worse

I had 4 kids and my hair would shed like crazy and someone suggested me to go to haircut salon and get hair wash and make layers and some trim up which I did my hair was be long nearly to my hips I cut it off to my shoulder blades and it helps and reduce my hair shedding and take boitin 5,000 to 10,000 mg plus prenatal vitamins too

Biotin really helped me. I had a bald spot in the center of my head and in a week of taking it it was coming back. Highly recommend!!

1 Like

Biotin 10,000 mg daily . I lost hair because of medication. My hair normally if braided was bigger around than my wrist . It got as thin as a pencil I was sick . But since thsn it has come back in thicker . I am 68 little grey in front the back virtually none . My hairdresser said my hair is healthy he has watched my hair get darker in the back . I put nothing on it . Biotin really helps . My younger sisters both have almost all silver hair I am the eldest

1 Like

There was nothing I could do to stop it but Biotin saved my life growing it back.

See your Dr for a vitamin/hormone check.
I take Biotin and Collagen to help.
Also, get a softer brush. Hard brissel brushes make it worse.

1 Like

Biotin and collagen helped me. The collagen I use has biotin in it.

I had 2 babies back to back. One is 2.5 and the other is 18 months and Iā€™m still losing hairā€¦

There are 3 stages in hair growth, anagen catagen and telogen. Hormones have sped up your active growing stage. Now ur bk to normal you are just loosing the excessive hormonal hair. You will live. And tell your husband to chill :rofl:

Mine fell out a lot the first year after I had my daughter but eventually it went back to normal

Biotin helped a lot. I thought I was lucky my pp hair loss didnā€™t start until my daughter was 5 months and it only lasted about 2 months.

Up protein. Take prenatals and biotin and just go with it.

I had it with all 3 of my kids, and Everytime I would just cut it off and grow it back out again, also use keratin products to help with the strength and regrowth of your hair. It helped me every time

Go to doctor get your hormone levels checked and your thyroid use better shampoos and conditioners do not wash your hair everyday brush and trying to tangle it keep taking prenatal vitamins look into a shampoo brush while in the shower