When can I start getting child support?

At what point in the pregnancy can you start getting child support? I have no way of getting money for stuff for my coming baby and have no help from the father.
256 Likes

As far as I know, you can’t get child support until the baby is born. Once the baby is born you’ll have to get a test done proving he’s the father and then from there the judge will determine child support.

U cannot get support until the baby is born and paternity is established… either he signs the birth certificate or you get a test

I’m in the exact same situation as you. If you get referred to the mental health team they can offer to help get you stuff and support. You can child benefit but I’m not sure when this is avaliable from (I need to know myself)

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/when-can-i-start-getting-child-support/13359

I think after the baby is born.

Once baby is born and an order is established

14 Likes

After baby is born amd paternity is determined

16 Likes

Support doesn’t start until after the baby is born.

After birth. I’m certain states you have to establish paternity in others you don’t it depends on where you are how to go about it.

i dont think you can until baby is born incase the dad denies being the parent and a dna test is required.

You can’t until the baby is born and has a social security number, then you can file. If father doesn’t sign the Birth certificate they’ll do a paternity test first .
You’ll need to get a job in the meantime .

13 Likes

Yep after baby is born.

I’m not to be rude but how’re going to afford a child once it’s here. You can’t get the child’s basic needs bought before born. Never rely on child support, you never know when you won’t get it. Court order or not

After the babys born but sometimes the other parent will help with expenses before birth

Not till the baby is born and paternity is established

2 Likes

But I’m pretty sure you qualify for WIC.

5 Likes

Once the baby is born

You have to wait till the baby is born and then you have to establish paternity… You can’t get it while you are pregnant

Guess a job is what you’re going to have to get

53 Likes

After paternity is established but you can get WIC now and they will get you other resources to help with the baby now.

3 Likes

After baby is born and paternity is established

1 Like

Once the baby arrives book a court appointment for cs and access

1 Like

After the baby is born.
There are agencies that will help you get some things. You also qualify for wic.

1 Like

You can’t get child support until after the baby is born and paternity is established.

3 Likes

when the baby is born

After the baby is born and a DNA test u will have to get a lawyer and it will takes months to get it started get a job

1 Like

Call 211 if you’re in the US and they’ll give you info for resources near you to help with items you may need.
You cannot file for child support until after the child is born then you file there’s court dates, etc then as long as the other parent doesn’t act shady you’ll start receiving it unless for whatever reason you don’t get custody, whoever has custody of the child is who gets child support.
Hope all that helped

3 Likes

Everyone above is right, you can’t file for child support until the child is born. You can apply for WIC and AFDC (Aide to Families with Dependant Children) for food stamps. There is also a thing called a job that can help with your day to day needs by giving you money on a weekly/biweekly basis.

17 Likes

After baby is born n DNA test to determine he’s the father and court saying how much so like baby will be 6.months old about that

2 Likes

Can’t get support for a child that isn’t born yet

8 Likes

I wish since conception :joy::joy:
Gotta keep working lmao

Get on wic if your county has it, they will help you with stuff too well at least mine does. Otherwise not until the baby is born and dna testing is done. Good luck.

2 Likes

Women have been working and supporting themselves for years. Follow suite.

10 Likes

You do not recieve child support until there is a living baby.

You don’t get it till after the baby is born

2 Likes

Now is the time to work and make as much money as you can. Of course you will need to take a few weeks off after the baby arrives and you need to start making arrangements now for a babysitter when you return to work. With child support comes visitation rights for Dad and that will lighten some of the load for you.

4 Likes

You guys, don’t be mean, this could be a scared teenager :cry:

12 Likes

Don’t get knocked up till your married and set with partner. Too many women do this! Shameful

18 Likes

Not til the baby is born…

I wanna know why the hell y’all be so fucken rude for …telling her get a job and this and that …most of y’all telling to get a job y’all probably don’t have one …people come on these groups are to ask ?? Y’all don’t have to make them feel Ike like shit …

Guess u maybe have to get a job while ur still small pregnant and do what u have to do. Or a mommy on here willing to help u with baby stuff…

5 Likes

Pretty much everywhere is hiring right now. Start applying

12 Likes

I don’t know where you are, but I know where I am literally everywhere is hiring. Child support even when baby is here isn’t going to cover everything the baby needs.

10 Likes

Cant do anything until the baby is born

Quit laughing at her. My God what has happened to humanity smh!!! Hun unfortunately you can’t until the baby is born but you can look for local women’s pregnancy places that are willing to help. Best wishes and congratulations :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

15 Likes

having a baby expecting financial aid and/or support from others be they the father or not, is pretty selfish and short sighted. Do yourself a favor and get a job or start home schooling so you can get a better job after giving birth, I did this myself and have raised all 3 of my girls without “child support or government aid” and yes I was young with my first barely 21. :wink:

15 Likes

Depending on where you live you can be eligible for a sure start maternity grant I got it. Don’t need to pay back helps while pregnant. just go online

Don’t want to sound mean but there’s no actual child yet. The baby needs to be born

6 Likes

Once the baby is born and paternity is established

8 Likes

Pregnancy Resource Center can help with baby stuff while you’re pregnant. Try to look for work. Literally everyone is hiring right now. Also try reaching out to churches in your area. The county or state has programs that can help as well. Good luck.

5 Likes

I was on welfare then when u have the baby u can collect child support by going to court and getting an attorney to put stuff in writing

You have to have the baby and paternity has to be established. But honestly relying solely on child support is just sad time to toughen up momma get a job get your head on straight before that baby gets here because it can’t take care of itself.

10 Likes

I would look at getting on WIC first

4 Likes

You definitely cant until.the babies here and even than if you have the state take the money from him to you it can take a bit to get started .

Apply for cash assistance (tanf). Also look for pregnancy centers sometimes they have programs that will help

1 Like

Get. A . Job.
There are charities that’ll help with baby supplies.
Until your baby is born , and paternity is established , no child support will be given…

9 Likes

Wow some nastiness up in this thread!!!

Child support is post birth.

Theres grants you can get for pregnancy, they don’t like to give them easily though.

In the mean time, I would be trying for employment, everywhere is hiring and most places will allow you a seat (for like a cashier etc) during pregnancy.

Best of luck

7 Likes

So child support let’s say that slower Chhhhhiiiiillllddddd support not baby momma support he needs to support the child not you🤦🏼🤦🏼

8 Likes

Ok so single mom here. This is my advice. Go to social services they have wic and diaper banks they also could tell you where to go to get clothes ect. You have to wait until the child is born to get child support and tbh it can take a while so have a plan and a backup plan. Sending you love it’s gonna be ok.

3 Likes

U CAN’T do NE THING TILL THE BABY IS BORN THERES ALOT INVOLVED PLUS PROVING PATERNITY

1 Like

It can take a long time if hes not cooperative. After DNA and court orders it… even then could be months

I would post on yard sale sites and google different organizations in your area. You can not receive child support if your not supporting a child. Even after the child is born it can take awhile for that to start.

3 Likes

They should have to help but you should be able to get some things. Babies aren’t for one person to pay everything

6 Likes

Apply for financial aid and food stamps your local workforce services should have resources that help you find a job get day care assistance when baby is born and help with the child support part

4 Likes

Never ever rely on child support. I’m still owed 40,000.00 in back support. If he’s not helping you now who knows how shady he will be once your child is born. It seems overwhelming I’m sure, but the best thing is to figure things out on your own and consider any child support you get to be a bonus. Seriously though, I’ve been there.

6 Likes

It usually not until months after a child is born. You have to go to court to establish paternity, and then usually a separate court date for custody, visitation, support.

4 Likes

Annnnddddd people wonder why they get cursed out and why people treat them like judgemental asshats!?!?
Y’all are rude and way disrespectful!!
DONT LISTEN TO THOSE JUDGMENTAL C*$#&…
Once the baby is born if the father chooses not to be a part of their life you’ll take him to court for a DNA test to prove paternity 1st…once that is done the judge will work on child support and visitation if need be.
Do your best to find all the resources in your town wherever you are to see what kind of help you can get. Even Public aid. You can get link and wic for the baby once it’s here!
There are loving caring generous people out there who would love to help and donate things to you lil mama…
Keep your head up…ignore the rude KAREN’S and try to enjoy being pregnant with your baby! Good luck and God bless!

My baby is 3 and I still haven’t got child support. Don’t hold your breath

1 Like

Not until there’s a paternity test done and court to determine how much etc. but WIC will help a ton! Formula, baby food, whole milk, food! Also if you get a medical card there’s a rewards program for going to your dr appointments pertaining to the baby. You can get a new car seat, diapers, pack n play, etc! Definitely look into it and see if it’s available in the state you live in! Good luck! :blue_heart:

9 Likes

Omg seriously not a q that others should be answering.
I’d laugh, but it would offend people.

Prayers for you and this baby, don’t pay attention to all these negative people on here. Being pregnant and trying to get a job is hard nobody wants to hire a pregnant women, trust me I’ve been there. I was hired for a job got pregnant they tried to find everything wrong to get me fired.
I hope everything works out for you

1 Like

WIC but no baby no money.

A stressful situation to be in. See if you can find local charities that help expectant moms. Start your WIC process now. If you are able to work try a part time job. Unlike others I’m fully aware that everyone’s situation is not the same. I was 22 when I was pregnant with my oldest and unable to work for medical reasons. Thankfully I had great family support.

I would look into some welfare first. WIC, Food Stamps to start. If you need baby stuff, WIC will have additional resources.
After the baby is born, you can reach out to your local or state child support office to start that process.
But…momma…its not an easy process or a quick one. You need to start really looking into how you can support yourself.

3 Likes

None, child support starts when their is a child? Not a fetus

1 Like

The child has to be born first, then paternity needs to be established. Then you will either need to go through dshs or a lawyer.

If you can’t provide for the child maybe you should consider adoption.

11 Likes

After birth and a paternity test or a voluntary signed acknowledgement of paternity from the father. Also never rely on child support. Some guys owe 50k+.

4 Likes

You can’t get child support until after the baby is born, unfortunately if he isn’t helping now he probably won’t help even if court ordered. I would reach out to local pregnancy resource centers, apply for WIC, Food Stamps and post on local garage sale pages seeing if you can get bundles of clothes for cheap. You’ll also want to now if you can & haven’t already, find employment.

Not until the baby is born & paternity is established. Go get on wic & foodstamps. Planned parenthood helps with baby stuff. Try & find a job. I know it’s hard when your pregnant, but everyone is hiring right now. Best of luck sweetie. It’s gonna be alright

You can’t get child support until the dna is established for the other person and depending on if he will sign the birth certificate or not depends on how long it will take to start getting the support from the father

1 Like

There is Tanif for non working mothers

Look for WIC. It is a state based program. It will provide essential foods during pregnancy and will continue after the birth plus help with baby formula and expand as the baby gets older.

1 Like

Also this person may have had a bad experience in getting pregnant (trauma related) we have to think about these things and not be harsh. Child support is not established until after the baby is born and once paternity is determined. Document everything involving the father. Use that when you decide if court is best. Just be there for your baby and seek out resources that could help in the state you live in. This person also could have bad family or just a bad past or health conditions. We have to think about things that may be happening and not assume she should just get a job. She is using this group as an outlet to have advice on child support and the only advice is that child support isn’t established until after the child is born. Not, “well just go get a job” ect. That is hurtful if she is in a situation that is hard or if she is not capable.

I hope you are able to find help and if you ever need advice, I’m a listening ear with no judgment!

Condoms and birth control…

6 Likes

Look into TANIF or whatever it’s called through welfare and do food stamps and WIC also

1 Like

A lot of different places that you can get help with baby stuff that you will need. Ask your obgyn for info and welfare should have info.

4 Likes

Birth once u established paternity

For everyone telling her to get a job, how do you know she doesn’t have one? And when did it become solely the moms responsibility. Hateful.

Sign up for WIC. Check in to see if Medicaid has any added services like baby showers and gift cards, in Texas they do. Reach out to Marketplace on here and ask for cheap to free items.

Child support will take months to get and is no guarantee he’ll pay. Good luck mama. You got this!

36 Likes

WIC and you can apply for Tca and food stamps…

Um pretty sure you have to have the baby and get DNA test first unless he admits it’s his. Never heard of anyone getting child support while pregnant

1 Like

Please don’t listen or take to heart what some of these nasty people are saying to you. You are asking a valid question for valid reasons. Some are saying get a job even though they have no idea if you are already working or not. It’s possible you are working and barely making ends meet or having a rough pregnancy and can’t work full hours because of medical problems.
Having said that, you need to be proactive and look into support systems in place where you live. They will be able to help with things you need to prepare for the baby.
Again, keep your chin up and block all the nasty comments. You’ve got this :heartpulse:

11 Likes

You can absolutely file for child support. Look into the laws for your state. I know for a fact in FL once paternity is established u can get back child support 6 months before the child is born.

Um I’m sure it’s only after child is born and paternity is proved.
There is also places that will help you get what’s needed.

For all of you judging her, most places will not hire a women who’s visibly pregnant. Not to mention how do you know her pregnancy isn’t high risk so she’s not able to work?

4 Likes

Paternity has to be established before a court will order it sooo

2 Likes

Once you give birth, file for child support and got through Court.

Right now just find work, doordash, instachart, under the table stuff etc… post on local yard sale sites your willing to work

2 Likes

Good luck with child support my daughters dad never paid a dime was took to court 10x over the years he would just sit in jail a few months then they would let him out. I raised her and her brother with no help. I worked 2 and 3 jobs most of their growing up but they never done without. Get help from the state till you are able to work hon. Good luck

1 Like

You shouldn’t rely on child support to support your baby.

23 Likes

NEVer, when you’re pregnant
you can get a job though! Everywhere is Hiring!!
Places are begging for employees!
The judge doesn’t have any way of telling the
Father of your baby when you’re pregnant!

6 Likes