When can I start getting child support?

Women being hateful to women … never understood it.

Why?

What purpose does it serve telling her to “just get a job”? Because she said she didn’t have one? Come on.
She asked a simple question.

I would call your state child support office for direct information. Each state is different but I have not heard of one that establishes support during pregnancy.

9 Likes

It’s so sad when you have to do without so much…Don’t you think some form of birth control :pensive: would be better…

2 Likes

You’re going to have to get a job

8 Likes

When you actually have the baby

5 Likes

You can file for child support once baby is born and you’ve established paternity.
The issue with child support is, it can be a while before anything is determined AND there is no guarantee he would even pay.

There are way more options for support than just child support

3 Likes

I find the question hard to understand. If you are struggle now and the baby isn’t here what will you do when the baby arrives?
See if your city or state had a buy nothing Facebook page (you can see if anyone is getting ride of baby items). Reach out to your family. See if a friend is willing to have a baby shower for you. I understand it takes 2 people to make a baby. Are you working? Check with a local church to see if they have any donates.

1 Like

I’m pretty ashamed of some of the people and comments here. This is supposed to be a place for help and support. Not condemning and judging and name calling and assuming or putting anyone down. NO ONE knows the exact situation. God forbid this was or is a situation of force . That sure as hell isn’t her fault. I pray it’s not. Maybe its a young person who just simply needs guidance. Hell , they are here asking for guidance apparently they have no one to turn to . Be kind. It cost nothing to just be kind . Some of you are down right bullies. I’d be ashamed if I were you.

15 Likes

Depending on what state you are in, you can get disability while pregnant, then after delivery they have a baby bonding payment (PFL-Paid Family Leave) also check with a local Church Or assistance league they help mother’s all the time check with WIC too

1 Like

Wic will help with formula, welfare will help you get a pack n play so your baby has a safe place to sleep. You should be able to get a free breast pump through insurance. Reach out to your OB/welfare office etc because they can hook you up with resources so your baby has what it needs. If you happen to live in ohio and are willing to meet in a public place, dm me and I might be able to give you things my baby will outgrow.

4 Likes

In my state paternity has to be established first and the child has to have been born first

2 Likes

Enroll in the WIC program they will help you out with food for yourself while pregnant and then food for the baby until his 5 years old once he is born. Get food stamps if you qualify and go to your local church. They might be able to help out with baby items and diapers. Good luck

1 Like

Once you register baby when it’s born, say he’s the dad, and he can then take it to court for it to be proven, but to be fair, if he just doesn’t pay it, you don’t get anything takes awhile and him to be very behind, before they make any effort to chase him for it, so I wouldn’t rely on it, as you might not even see a cent for like a year, if not more, depending where you live, some places make the asking parent locate the other parent too. Good luck

1 Like

Get on state funding, cash assistance and they will go right after the father!

The father doesn’t have to support ur pregnancy. Just support the child once it’s proven his.

6 Likes

Sadly u cant but call ur local dhhr and theyll get u ijj n the right direction also even after u get approved for it dont mean he’ll pay or u could only get like $50 amonth thats what i receive

1 Like

Reach out online. Join your local county Facebook pages, visit local Churches, go to your local Social Services, etc - if you are in that much need of help, there are a lot of people who would donate.

I worked until 4 days before I delivered. Just sayin :woman_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

Don’t ever rely on child support. My son is 10 never seen a dime. You gotta do what you gotta do to support your little one

3 Likes

Get on wic and public aid to help with food and medical. Goodwill and places similar are good places for cheap needs. Sadly in most places you have to prove he’s the father. Even then if he doesn’t maintain a job chances are you won’t be getting any money. Not trying to judge or be mean but don’t expect anything from him (yes still fight for it). You need to find a way to support you and your baby the best you can.

2 Likes

The baby has to be born before u can get child support

Don’t get money till the baby is there but in my state at 6 months pregnant u can get tanf not much but will help u gets stuff also look into clothes closets their free and kind find lots of baby stuff

1 Like

The courts will require a DNA test and then they’ll go from there. I’m sorry to say it will probably be a couple of months after the baby arrives. In the meantime apply for gov’t assistance (SNAP WIC) NO NEED TO SHAME HER!! :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Reach out to Best Start. They can help you apply for health insurance, WIC, a car seat, and parenting classes. Good luck

I worked until I delivered mine. And child support is only half of what it takes to support that child you should be providing the other half. It’s no mans job to fully support you because you had a child.

16 Likes

The child has to be born and the birth certificate has to be signed. Other wise, you will have to wait even longer once the child is born to get a paternity test done.

Contact your states Medicaid office and get state coverage like WICC and food stamps and such good luck.

After you have the baby…and dna is established… then you can receive.

Usually a child is required to get child support.

3 Likes

You can’t during pregnancy because paternal rights havent been established

It’s not his job to pay anything for supplies. Only once the baby is born. Go to social services in your area and get on assistance. They will go after him for child support

6 Likes

Try WIC and local women’s resource centers

Need a job because you can’t get child support before birth and you cannot expect it to pay for everything you both will need

12 Likes

Birth. You literally cannot even file in court until the baby is born. Then, if he refuses to sign the birth certificate or paternity acknowledgement, you will be fighting to establish paternity too. It could be months to a year.

2 Likes

I mean there really isn’t a lot you “need” for a newborn

You can’t get child support till baby is born but you can start the paper work

Baby has to at least be born. You won’t get money for being a incubator.

You have to wait until after the baby is born. And then (if the dad doesn’t sign the BC) paternity needs to be established first.

2 Likes

Op shops are great for baby stuff. Facebook buy swap and sell sites give away sites on Facebook aswell and some on market place you can just put an add up asking to be considered for items for baby alot of people are pretty willing to help out. Put some more feelers out there mama-to-be #YouGotThis #Hugs #GoodLuck

3 Likes

Baby has to be born before you get it
you can get a 500 grant for your first baby!
please message me what area you are and what sex is the baby thank you x

After paternity is established so once baby is born you need to take baby to a recognized testing facility and do the test and then apply for support. But there are other programs that help with that and don’t require paternity to be established yet

1 Like

You can claim £500 when you pregnant to help with the costs of baby things

I live in Michigan, & you won’t get anything court ordered until the baby comes. Father may want a paternity test ordered from the court. You can name him as the Dad on the birth certificate. But the court will still likely want to confirm paternity if he doesn’t sign as the Dad. You will eat the cost of paternity test if he is shown not to be the Father (at least in my state.)

When the baby comes and paternity is established

3 Likes

Enable for the government to give you anything, you are born as a number. If you do not have a number: meaning social security number, you fo not get anything.

Go apply for welfare. They will start the child support process for you, you won’t be getting it but it will be garnished from him so when you get your shit together it will be available.

First baby has to be born first and if the father doesn’t sign the BC then he has to get a DNA test done it can take a while

2 Likes

Depends where you are from… In the USA, I think all states, it’s after paternity is established n paperwork done with DCS (division of child support)

1 Like

When the baby’s born. If he denies the baby. It will have to wait till dna is provin

1 Like

You can’t, you’ll have to wait until the child is born

3 Likes

Lmao yeah not until after the kid is born. And youll have to go to court hearings and probably establish paternity so itll be over a year later most likely.

3 Likes

Should have got paid up front

23 Likes

You can’t. you don’t even have a child yet. You’ll have to establish paternity as well.

3 Likes

Usually you will get a carseat, a box of diapers and some formula to start off at the hospital. Maybe have a baby shower to get a few things and apply for assistance. Then file for child support after the baby is born. I wish you and baby well. Bless you both.

6 Likes

None till it’s borned and DNA is done …

4 Likes

Check with your DHHR

1 Like

I guess the government can be your “baby daddy”… they have a lot of others that they/we are paying for …!!!

6 Likes

Usually takes 6 months to a year after the child is born. So many steps to go through such as paternity, agreeable amount, establish a parenting plan, ECT.

1 Like

Once born and paternity established look into wic or women’s shelters for help. Id also get on birth control right after delivery.

3 Likes

Tbh your the parent too, time to step up. Don’t expect or rely on support from Dad. Learn to do it on your own. Buy used and a little at a time. Make a budget. Apply for things ppl listed as resources.

28 Likes

When you have a child.

You can’t get child support untill the father claims paternity after the child is born

Contact your state office for help for free things for your child and food stamps and WIC, you can file for child support once the child is born. And after you establish paternity. Good luck

You have to have a birth certificate and SSN in the US on born child to file this.

1 Like

You can’t until you have the baby, file for child support and they go from there. But that’s also giving the father rights and visitation as a newborn.

You don’t need a man to pay your children’s bills. You know your having baby right now so start buying bits and pieces - 2nd hand shops are good to go and you really only need the basics. Never rely on a man ever for money.

11 Likes

A job would help with that.

6 Likes

Lori Jennings The father doesn’t have to pay anything until paternity is established

2 Likes

You don’t.

Look into assistance programs.

When you have the baby and prove paternity :deaf_woman::woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

After the baby is born. But paternity needs to be done and established first. It isn’t right away

You don’t until paternity is established. Pregnancy is a condition, not an illness…get a job and start buying what your baby needs because even court ordered child support doesn’t mean you’ll actually get anything from baby daddy.

8 Likes

Once the child is born. Be sure he’s on the birth certificate, then if you apply for any assistance, they will go after him if you haven’t already started the process. If he contests it then I believe he has to pay for the paternity test. Either way, he’ll still owe back pay as long as the process is started. If he’s not on the birth certificate that may cause some further issues/delays. Check with your local community for resources in the mean time… there are tons of places (i.e. charities, churches, WIC, etc.) that can help provide some things you may need. Also, reach out on social media… there’s always people willing to donate baby items, clothes, etc. I’ve helped many by gathering donations from friends and family.

Yeah sorry that’s not really how it works :joy:

2 Likes

See if your area has a buy nothing/free stuff page. You can get wic while pregnant. Our area has a little lambs program where you can use vouchers (given out by wic and pediatrician appointments, probably for obgyn visits, too) and attend classes to receive baby stuff, like pack n play for a safe sleep class. See if your area has something like that, also contact a birthright organization near you.

What the hell :joy: get a job. I’m 3 months pregnant and working it’s not that hard

5 Likes

AFTER the baby is born. You’re gonna have to work

Before u spread you should have said sign here

2 Likes

Lol is this for real? :roll_eyes::rofl: it’s your baby, if he isn’t going to be a man and claim what’s his and be there, you don’t need him. :woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming: work your ass off, for that child your going to have and raise , and to build a better future for him or her. . . I certainly did … Can’t get blood from a stone .

You won’t receive child support during your pregnancy, only after baby is born.

Call 211 and ask for any resources in your area.

1 Like

call birthright theyll help you

1 Like

Ummmm… what? Are YOU not willing to support your child?

2 Likes

A job. Pregnancy is not a disability. It’s actually healthy for women to work during pregnancy.

7 Likes

There surely has to be proof that the child you would be collecting support on is his.

First off coming from a single mother and I was young having my 1st one… First thing you need to do is get a job… NEVER DEPEND ON A MAN TO SUPPORT UR CHILD … Even after baby is born and you get a court order for support… Does not always mean he is gonna pay it… And its not gonna be enough just to live off… You need to work for ur child and support your child. There are agencies that can help with formula for the baby and places you can get used stuff for your baby. but you need to help your child too by working…

18 Likes

You cannot get child support until paternity has been established. But that doesn’t mean he will ever pay. Some just don’t care and work for cash.

Best advice is to get yourself a job and start saving and buying as you can. Go to your local health department and see if they offer WIC, they will likely have breast pumps/car seats as well. The hospital you deliver in, might have a car seat as well. (Our facility does anyway) You can also go to your local child and family services and apply for EBT (food stamps) and see what else you may qualify for. You’ll likely be covered under a medical card too.

Good luck. :black_heart:

4 Likes

Then you should have kept ya legs closed

15 Likes

Usually a few weeks into the 4th trimester.

13 Likes

There’s this thing called a job… and I’m pretty sure Biden is passing out free money to who people who don’t wanna work called welfare…

7 Likes

Question:
If my baby daddy is on my childs birth certificate do we still need dna test? I asked for one when my baby was born but never got around to it

Birth. But you can start buying stuff with your money too? lol.

5 Likes

And then make sure your baby daddy is allowed 50% custody after baby is born.

8 Likes

I swear we’re being trolled…… the questions just keep gettin more and more trollish :joy::joy::joy:

13 Likes

Wow!! I’m all for both parents supporting a child they created together but you can’t get support for that child before they are actually born & you do have to contribute as well… I was pregnant with twins & had a high risk pregnancy and still worked 2 jobs… 1 until 6 months & the other until 7 1/2… just know that that baby’s daddy isn’t going to be expected to pay for all that baby’s needs… they will consider your income as well & if you don’t have an income you will still be responsible for a percentage of that child’s care…

10 Likes

Common sense to know that you don’t get child support during a pregnancy. You have to establish dna . If you really don’t wanna work get ssi or ssdi I guess .

7 Likes

Jfc the comments here bug me.
I’m sorry you’re going through this difficult time…
If you’ve applied for any benefits (food stamps, Medicaid, housing, etc), your local Child Support Agency should have sent something out to start establishing paternity. If you haven’t applied, you should.
Also, the Human Services Department wherever you are will ABSOLUTELY have ways to help. A lot of times you can get things extremely discounted, or even donated, if you work with them.
File for Child Support as soon as babe is born and DON’T BACK DOWN. Father may hate you and want nothing to do with baby, but he’s still legally responsible for providing for your little one.

Best of luck Mama, and congratulations on your baby❤

15 Likes

After baby is born and paternity is established and hopefully he even pays. Some places have programs like storks nest. You need to go to your appointments and get points to get big stuff. Sometimes hospitals help too 1 time I got a carseat because I couldnt afford one at that time as baby was early and in NICU so I had to do maternity leave earlier than expected. And you can get a job while pregnant.

1 Like

Shouldn’t a baby shower help just a tiny bit?

1 Like

Girl the baby ain’t even born :sweat_smile: get a job if you can or utilize family members for hand me downs.

4 Likes

Start by getting yourself a job

8 Likes

Why are you even having a baby…sheesh

10 Likes