When do you get your first period after birth?

My postpartum bleeding stopped after two weeks. I’m now almost six weeks postpartum, and it has started again. Is this normal, or could it be my period starting? I’m not having any cramping or any other signs of my period. I’m just worried something is wrong that made it start again.

3 Likes

That sounds like your period. That’s about when I got mine

Mine sort of did the same thing, I bled for almost 4 weeks then stopped for almost 2 and then got what I thought was a period but it lasted 10 days then I got my regular period about 2 weeks later and I bled for my normal 3-4 days. I’m currently almost 10 weeks pp and I’m breastfeeding as well.
They dont count it as a period till your after 8 weeks pp bc you can bleed on and off after having a baby to me doesn’t sound like a period it sounds like it’s still your PP bleeding

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. When do you get your first period after birth? - Mamas Uncut

Are you breastfeeding?

Mine came again after 7 weeks and I wasn’t breastfeeding

I breastfed a year with My last son and didn’t get my period for 15 months.

With both my kids I bled for 2 weeks after birth, then stopped for a month, then bled for another 2/3 weeks and haven’t had a period since. (First period came back at 11months postpartum and currently 9months postpartum and no signs of my period yet)

its maybe your period. I bled 2 weeks after my first baby and then a month later started my cycle

Mine came back about 7 weeks after

Yeah that would be your period

I bled until week 4 with both of my kids. Stopped for a week, then started my period by week 6. :woman_shrugging:t2:

When I’m not breastfeeding I get my period back pretty quickly now. After my loss at 35w6d, emergency c-section I started my period at 4wpp. I breastfed and I always get it back 5 months pp.

I got my actual period at 8 weeks right around when I started my bc pills

Probably your period. I got mine right after PP bleeding. I bled for 6 weeks, had a few days of a break and got my period right after. 2nd time I bled for 2 weeks PP and got my period at 7 weeks PP.

Could definitely be your period.

I would have it checked out. I had weeping juice stuff and it turned out that my uterus was lacerated from the forceps used during delivery and I had to have the tears cauterised.

I bled for six week . The fifth week I think it was my period and I haven’t had a period in 52 days but not pregnant but apparently that’s normal lol

It depends everyone is different. It also depends on if you’re breastfeeding because if you’re consistently breastfeeding you may not get it for a while. It’s my first pregnancy I didn’t get it until about 4-5 months after I gave birth, and with both my second and third I started my period about a month two months after I give birth.

Yes it’s normal. I stopped bleeding 4 weeks postpartum and it started at just about 6 weeks postpartum. At my 6 week postpartum appt my obgyn told me that it’s my period. I also didn’t have any other period symptoms

Everyone is different. After I gave birth to my first son I bled 6 months straight and had irregular period’s after that. I lost a baby at 6 months and bled for a month after followed by irregularities again, lost another and bled for 3 months then finally had normal periods following. I’m pregnant again and thankfully this pregnancy seems to be going full term, and hopefully my body will regulate after birth. Every woman’s body is different.

Its your period, mine was the same way I had stopped bleeding. But I did get menstrual cramps like if I was contracting again. That crap hurt!

Mine came back 5 months postpartum

Same thing happen to me! 2 weeks pp I stopped and at 6 weeks I got my period I get it every month now. And now taking the pill and I get a period 3 times a month.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. When do you get your first period after birth? - Mamas Uncut

Sounds like it is the start of your period

i got mine around 6 weeks after… you can always have your obgyn check

About 6 to 8 weeks is about average but that’s also gonna depend if you breastfeed. Some mamas don’t see a return for a year or so.

3 Likes

Also, before I forget is this your first kid? Mine was on and off a little with my first few kiddos but after my last two kiddos it would stop and start allllllll the time. If you’re worried however, don’t hesitate to reach out to your ob especially as you should be coming up on your post partum check up

Are you breastfeeding? Are you on birth control? It could be your period, or you could just have spotting due to something else.

1 Like

I had a csection and my tubes done I didn’t have anything for like 6 months and I wasn’t breast feeding once I got my period it’s been spot on every time

I got my period 4 weeks after so it could possibly be your period

1 Like

I got a depo shot after I have birth bled.for like 4 or 5 months I’m not sure if your on any kind of birth control

6 weeks with #1, 7 months with #2

Definitely could be period. Bodies change after babies so maybe your cramping won’t be as much after.

I got my first PP period at 18mths and haven’t had another yet, every body is different and breastfeeding plays into that too.

Depends. Everyone’s body is different and handles every pregnancy different. With my 1st I stopped bleeding after 3 weeks had 2 have 10 bloodclots removed and started my period about a month after they were removed. My twins I bleed every bit of 2 months and started about 3 weeks after that.

21 months postpartum. I was nursing.

Mine started after 9 months but I was nursing. It’s so different for each woman. My cousin who nursed got hers back within a month and I’ve heard of some women going over a year. I will say my periods are different post baby. I’m more consistent with getting them on a 30 day schedule and the pain is different. I get more back pain now instead of cramps. You can ask your doctor though! Always best to do that if you have any concerns!

Had my son middle of feb and still haven’t gotten mine. Though I am nursing

I bled after for 5 weeks and started my period two weeks later and it’s still going, but my periods have always been messed up unless I’m on birth control.

About six weeks, maybe later if you are nursing. If you have starter after stopping you may be in a new cycle.

It’s perfectly normal.

Normal to one last bleed that might last for a few days, but then shortly after your real period comes

I’m exclusively breastfeeding and got mine at about 7 weeks pp. It’s normal :blush:

I had post partum bleeding off and on for about 6 -7 weeks a couple days at a time then about 8 months I finally got my actual period but I did breastfeed so that may have had something to do with getting my period so late. Now it’s regular every month .

1 Like

I had my period exactly at 6 weeks postpartum. I would say it’s your period. And after birth, your body behaves differently. My period has never been the same as it was pre baby.

After I had my baby, my hormones were so messed up that I never had another. It’s different for every woman, having a baby takes a toll. Be sure to check in with your doctor! :grin:

I had my period for my 6week check up for all three kids.

7 months but I breastfed…

I got mine about 3 months afterwards.

Same here! Got my period at exactly 6 weeks.

At my sons baptism 2 months pp :woman_facepalming:t2:

I got mine like 4 weeks postpartum. And it was super heavy. So it probably is your period.

With my first around 6 weeks with my second 15/16 months (breastfeeding)

I went almost a year but was breastfeeding

I got mine 6 weeks after xx

I got mine exactly 6 weeks PP

Mine returned exactly 6 weeks PP

Probably your period. My periods all started back up again immediately after each of my births. Everyone is different with postpartum periods. Some women won’t have periods for a year. Some start them again immediately. With one of my kids I didn’t even bleed a whole week after giving birth and my periods started up normally 3 weeks later. With another kid I bled for over 2 months postpartum and then stopped for a week and got my periods like normal each month after that. One of my friends (who didn’t breastfeed) didn’t get a period for 8 months after her postpartum bleeding stopped (which only lasted two weeks). It literally varies from person to person and from birth to birth. To me it sounds like your cycles are starting again though and it doesn’t sound like anything abnormal to me.

I did not breastfeed… I got my mens after 6 weeks

Yes its usually about 6 weeks after given birth your period starts, if your gonna take birth control too, You start when your first period starts too after birth

My post partum last 6 weeks, I breastfed it came back 9 months later

Mine did the same. Gone after two weeks then came back around the six week mark for a couple weeks. After that it was random every few months until I quit nursing.

Lochia (post partum bleeding) can last 4 to 6 weeks. It can stop, and then start up again, or not let up at all and then abruptly stop.