When is a good time to bring my boyfriend around my kids?

I got out of a 13 yr toxic relationship I’m a single mom of 3 and I started seeing someone.He is a very good person and goes above and beyond for me and my kids even though they don’t know him or haven’t met him he helps me out as much as he can. I was wondering when is it a good time to bring him around my kids or my family?? I’m brand new to this only have been single for 3 months but feels like forever cause there was no love or communication with my kids dad. My ex moved on right away and no one said anything but if I were to do so my family talks bad about me… what should I do I need advice?

10 Likes

i would not bring anyone around kids unless u been dating a yr or more. and if u just got out of a relationship why would u wanna jump into another one so quick. take time for yourself n kids

28 Likes

There’s no set time. You do it when it feels right. Don’t let other peoples judgements hinder your happiness. If it was me I would introduce as a friend for a while at first. Just to see at least what the first interaction is. But you do you! Good luck mama!

12 Likes

Your family needs to mind their own business and they won’t know what to talk about if you don’t share. I used to share and it doesn’t pay lol. Live your life and be happy. When you feel comfortable, you can introduce him to your children.

If your family asks, just change the subject.

3 Likes

Your toxic relationship was probably smooth sailing the first 3 months as well, be cautious and don’t rush. Hope it works out. :purple_heart:

15 Likes

Probably a bit soon … and if your ex moved on straight away that person was there all along

12 Likes

I would definitely wait 6 months to a year. Be careful too cause I met a man like the guy u dating n it was a facade he was putting on by treating me good n helping me with my son etc then once he moved in his true colors showed and he did a full 360. So please be careful. Do a complete nationwide background check on him before even introducing him to your children.

11 Likes

Your best bet in my opinion is at least wait 6 months to make sure the relationship is going to last you don’t want to bring him in and get to know the kids and kids get attached to him and you guys decide a month later to split

11 Likes

I think three months is way to soon. I think 9 months at the earliest.

5 Likes

I never brought any guys that I was dating around my kid. Then I met someone and introduced them one month into the relationship. We got married and have been together for 4 years and he loves my kid as if he was his own. There is never a right time however when you know, you know.
Trust your gut. :cherry_blossom:

3 Likes

If your kids are older (teens) I’d say a least 6m-1y, younger than that I’d say a year. I brought mines into my daughters when she was 7months, but I knew him for a couple of years before dating, it’s been almost 3 years together and he’s my daughters whole world! Also if your children are a little older, talk to them and see how THEY feel about it.

2 Likes

Three months no. You don’t even know him yet. Don’t have a lot of men coming in and out of their life. Or yours. Take time and heal before you jump into another relationship.

5 Likes

When it feels right for you. You don’t have to introduce him as your boyfriend until you guys are ready for that. Don’t let others judge you.

Do it when it feels right however, I normally wait 6 Months and then, also depends on how I feel about the relationship.

1 Like

I’d wait as long as you can max like 6 months!!

3 Likes

Unpopular opinion… but I feel like 3 months is fine. The thing is, you want to make sure your kids and the person click. No need in wasting time if they don’t. But I wouldn’t do typical “boyfriend and girlfriend” stuff in front of them. No PDA for awhile. They need to get used to you not being with their dad and also get used to this new person.
The guy I have been dating for a year, he already knew my oldest son(19) because we live in a small town and they are both outdoorsmen (my oldest kinda set us up lol). My oldest daughter(17) knew about him. But my two youngest kids (13 and 4), I told them he was my friend. We did things like go to the park and as far as they knew for awhile, he was my best friend. And then a few months later, we talked to them about us being boyfriend and girlfriend.

But ultimately, this is your life, love. Time is short. Be happy. :black_heart:

1 Like

Whenever you feel comfortable doing it! Everyone is different. Just don’t show affection in front of the children or introduce them as your boyfriend until you feel like it’s gonna last

Is say 3 month is too soon. Also after a toxic relationship alot of the time anyone looks good but 3 months is to soon to know.
I’m really weiry won’t allow round my kids as I was in dv marriage now I have to know someone and know going anywhere.
Plus 3 months after a toxic relationship are you really healed? I wasn’t that soon after.

1 Like

Talk about him around your kids…there is no time set for introducing… Everything will fall in place.

1 Like

The minimum should be 6 months. I have known people who have waited a full year to introduce their kids to someone. But it should also be based how much time you are spending with this person. If it’s a lot of time than 6 months is a good starting point. You’re child are just getting use to their parents not bei be together. They need to adjust to that before bringing a stranger around.

1 Like

Introduce as a friend in a public neutral space at first. Whenever you feel in your heart and gut it’s right.

I hope you’re wondering just for future because after 3 months!?

To me, never.

But logically, give it a year.

A year or when you know he’s the one.

Do it when you feel it is right. No one can make that decision for you.

I heard before that it is usually wait 6months to a year to introduce to kids and live together at least a year before marriage.

So you’ve been with this with this man for less than 3mos & he’s your first bf since your ex? Yeah not near time to bring your kids into this relationship. I wouldn’t worry so much about what your family thinks. It’s your kids that’s your concern. You don’t need them bonding with someone you barely know. 3mos is still very early in a relationship. You’re both still not your real selves & are trying to impress each other. Wait until you’ve been together long enough that you can be yourself & know he’s himself. When you’re ready to commit to him. Ring on your finger, date set. Then introduce your kids about 6mos before the wedding. JMO

If your lucky you only find true love in life once. If he is your true love don’t waist time and introduce him to your family and your friends now. As I’m sure all your family and friends want you to be happy in life. Remember where only on this planet once so make sure you have no regrets in life.

The ages of your kids would be some important info to have when asking such things.

If you only been dating this guy for 3 month then you really don’t know him well enough to say that he’s a good man. Wait and pick up on red flags for awhile. Your kids need to be safe first of all. Does he have kids ? How does he treat them ?

Just can’t trust anyone these days…

I would not bring him around the kids too soon.

Most court agreements are at 6 months to a year.

3 months is not enough time

I have a blended family. When my husband and I started dating, we were both single parents and were extremely concerned about when it was the right time to introduce the kids to each other, to the idea of us dating, etc. we researched it and found the best way was slow intros. First it was just ice cream at the same place without sitting with each other just to see if they would even notice. (My son immediately noticed a dad and his sons and commented at how cute it was). Then it was a jump house place where the kids ended up playing with each other just because they were around other kids playing. They happened to see us making small talk as we watched them. Then it turned to play dates at the park or movies together where we told them we were friends for awhile before letting them know we were dating. It took maybe 6-7 months before we told them we were actually dating. We were together 5yrs before we got married and now we’re celebrating our 2yr wedding anniversary today :heart: and 7yr dating anniversary tomorrow :heart:. The researching really gave great tips. Our kids were small enough to do that blending style and it worked. I hope this helps and whatever you do works for you. Wishing you all the best! :+1:t4:

11 Likes

When ever you feel is best. No one can tell you what is right or wrong. There is no set time frame. You kid, your life, your choice. When I met my now husband, his (now our) daughter was only 4. They moved in with me the day we started dating. She’s now 15 and I rasied her. You have to make the choice for yourself.

First of all live your own life and stop worrying about what others say. You are a big girl so put your big girl panties on and do you. Secondly 3 months I feel is a little soon. Give yourself and your kids time to adjust to a new life. I’d give it more time and enjoy your alone time with your new fella. It takes time to really know someone and your kids don’t need another let down. You’re moving a little fast probably because you’re craving that love and attention you haven’t had in a long time. If this guy genuinely cares about you he’ll be patient. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Slow down. This is moving way to fast. It’s gonna be a crash ans burn. You just got out of a relationship. Sure flirt, date, but do not bring new men around your kids until they have been consistent for over 6-8 months.

1 Like

I’m glad you have found someone who has made u happy, but me I’d personally wait just a little bit longer to introduce my kids. Don’t rush, if this person is the right match they would happily wait for the right time :grin:

You do it when you feel right.
Someone once said in another group, she does it sooner than later because if her child doesn’t like or trust the person then she doesn’t want to continue to fall for the person.

When you ahve been dating him exclusively for 6-8 months a short meeting is ok. After a year you should be good for your kids to be ready to accept someone new.

My opinion is 6 months. Why bring men in and out of your child’s life if you’re unsure if it’s going to work out. When you look at the bigger picture 6 months isn’t that long.

In my opinion, as soon as you become a couple and have decided to not see other people, you need to involve your children in the relationship. This should not involve any sleep over situations, but day trips, dinners and movies with the children. The worst possible outcome is you falling head over heels in love with a man that is not a fan of children, that doesn’t like your children or your children don’t like. That can lead to another heartbreaking situation.

Do what you feel is right.ife is too short

It’s only been 3 months for your kids, this is your first relationship post divorce… I’d wait to closer to a year tbh

I wouldn’t rush introducing especially if just got out of bad relationship no matter what age kids are give at least 6 mths to a year almost u don’t want to rush if next relationship might not work

I would say when they turn 18. Don’t be parading new men in and out of their lives.