When is it okay to take baby swimming?

Ok mamas whats a good age to take a baby swimming?? My daughter just turned 2 months and i want to take her swimming but i feel like shes to young for that… Whats yalls opinions?

6 Likes

My kids have been in water since they were 2 weeks old. We love on a river and have a boat… And every weekend during summer we take kids in boat to Beach… Babies in tow.

1 Like

Anytime you’re comfortable! My parents lived on an island when they had me so they always had me in the water since I was very young, maybe a few weeks old.

1 Like

They actually have baby classes, you should take your child as soon as possible. Babies still remember how to swim early on because they were swimming around in the amniotic fluid, it makes it easier for them to learn then to relearn when they get older

1 Like

I think that’s up to you. Just dont keep baby out in the sun to long

I personally think that’s too young. I’d just dip the toes/ feet if anything as far as a pool goes due to chemicals and whatnot…Also the water may be too cold for the lil one…🤷… But to each their own. :+1: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Go for it! Just don’t keep baby in the sun too long!

1 Like

My kids were both swimming by aged 1

The pediatrician almost laughed at me when I asked the other day if I could take my 8 month olds swimming. Lol.
Apparently its no big deal but I thought it was bad for their ears. She said Nope.

1 Like

I took my oldest who was only three weeks old

1 Like

She came out of the womb Knowing how to swim,it’s best to start her right away.

Get a ring sling that can go in the water. That made me feel safer about my babies in the water when they were young… they get super slippery when wet! :joy:

1 Like

I’d say just watch her ears
If she gets water in them, she could get simmers ear

3 Likes

I’d say just watch her ears
If she gets water in them, she could get simmers ear

1 Like

My son went swimming with me when he was almost month old.

2 Likes

I waited until my kids could sit upnand control their heads. So like 4-5 months. And I waited that long (my son was an early sitter) because i didn’t feel comfortable with him being any younger and being in chilly water for too long . its all about what youre comfortable with.

My kids went at 6 weeks old. Go for it.

I think 8-12 is the age recommend by pediatricians

Take her but this will be an ongoing process to reinforce her lessons until she’s a toddler TIL then they may forget but st this age the ability is ingrained

If it’s a chlorine pool I would be watchful of their skin. Chlorine is so harsh to their sensitive skin.

2 Likes

My babies went swimming as soon as they could hold their head up. Just make sure to use swimmers ear drops afterwards.

They lived the first 9 months of their lives in liquid. They are never too young. Just take precautions from the sun, lots of shade!!! I wouldn’t put sunscreen on a baby that young.

1 Like

I think it’s good to start as soon as you can.

2 Likes

Took both of mine around that time.

I know someone who started their baby in swimming lessons as an infant & he is now 3 and can swim better than most people I know!!

1 Like

Put some cotton balls in her ears to keep out the water, SUNBLOCK, and make sure to give her a bath immediately to wash away the chlorine. She will be fine!

Infants that young are very susceptible to hypothermia even if the water doesn’t feel that cold to you. They can not regulate their body temps like adults can

2 Likes

I would at least wait until she can sit up by herself but it’s your baby so whenever you feel comfortable doing so

I think my son was 6 months old when we took him to an actual pool

Just think of the pros and cons first… babies that young can get sick easier then anyone else

1 Like

As long as its warm enough, whenever you want. My oldest was a month old.

1 Like

Everyone told me to wait 6 months but I didn’t . I limited thee amount of time mine was in the water and had no issues . Think of how sensitive your babies skin is, how warm it is and make sure you dry him or her off immediately and put them in dry clothes. I personally don’t see the issue

My mother put me in water at 4 months and she said that I was swimming like a champion. I threw my kids in at 4 months and they did perfect. Babies have Natural Instincts to hold their breath at a very young age. If you blow in a baby’s face they automatically hold their breath it’s the same with water

1 Like

I’d bring her but I’d have her wear a life jacket just to be safe

1 Like

Start early, I never could swim so I had to have a babysitter teach my son how to swim. IF I was not afraid of the water (I had instances where I almost drown) I would have had my son in water at an early age. They catch on very quickly when young.

1 Like

I had my son in the pool when he was a month old, we live in Florida and are always around water…just make sure your little one is protected, I had a covered float for him, long sleeve rash guard shirt, hat, sunglasses (babiators) and being that young he left the hat and sunglasses alone

Check out heated pools first to avoid anything to cold. 2mos should be ok in your arms especially if baby has good head control

You can’t even safely put baby sum screen on a baby until 6 mo

Younger the better. Espicially if you live around any type of water!!
I don’t remember what country, but they have classes where by 6 months old, babies have learned how to flip and turn under water so they flip on their back and just float around until.
Search for the video! It is so interesting!

I started at 4 months old and have a water baby now. Heated pools are a must for that young

Both of mine went at this age, they’re little fish!

We took our daughter after her first set of immunizations.

Your baby has been swimming for nine months… :sunglasses::tropical_fish::fish:

1 Like

Water babies are naturals in the water once they are relaxed so now is a really good age to start and around 5 to 6 months is when they can learn to float and hold their breath underwater

It is fine luv!!! Every baby acts differently liking or not liking it at first that young! I’m sure you’ll be able to tell!!! If ya go hope they love it and y’all have a blast :grin:

My nephew was two last year and took him swimming in my pool.

Def too young … like 12 months