When to get babies ears pierced?

What is your philosophy on ear piercings for small kids? So my BD says that we should wait til our daughter (age 3.5) is old enough to decide if she wants her ears pierced or not, but she sees me wearing earrings all the time and tries to take them and put them up to her ears. She also tells me that she wants to get her ears pierced like mommy does but he wont budge at all.

26 Likes

You both should agree on it really. I wouldn’t do it if he wasn’t ready. Waiting isn’t a bad thing.

2 Likes

I got my daughters ears pierced at 2 months. Sounds like she already knows she wants her ears pierced.

2 Likes

3.5 isn’t old enough to make an informed decision. I’d buy clip ons until they are old enough to understand the procedure & aftercare.

6 Likes

I kind of regret that mentality. My daughter feels so left out not having hers done. I thought I was doing the right thing waiting and letting her choose. Now shes terrified to get it done but really wants them, so it’ll still be years before she finally does. She’s 4.

3 Likes

I got mine pierced as babies it’s better that way I think

2 Likes

I agree with Dad. That’s how I handled my daughter’s ears.

3 Likes

My daughter asked me at 3. My husband told me, “when she asks, you take her I can’t watch.” She is 13 and just got her second holes. She loves them.

2 Likes

My almost 7 year old kind of asked at 4ish…I told her once she was old enough to keep them clean herself. She now doesn’t think that she wants to get them pierced. When/if she wants it done that’s her decision.

4 Likes

I got mine done when I was 3! I was old enough to want them, young enough to not remember the pain, old enough to understand not to touch them, and 15 years later I’ve never had and infection and they’ve never closed up

2 Likes

I’m waiting until she is old enough to decide and take care of them. That’s what my parents did with me.

2 Likes

My kids wanted them done at a young age. Now that they are teens they’ve ditched the earrings and you can’t tell they were ever done.

Your husband is right.

4 Likes

My daughter was 11. Glad we waited!

1 Like

mine were done when i was a baby so it didn’t hurt if i got them done when i was older

Wait until she’s old enough to decide. My 6 year old is getting ear rings next month

Sounds like she knows what she wants!!! My oldest daughter is 10, and I took her when she was almost one. My second daughter was a little older, almost two, but she never wants her earrings in really. I’m currently pregnant with baby girl #3, and we’ll probably do hers around the same age.

My daughter was 4 when she knew she wanted hers done. I told her if she wanted it done she would have to pay for it (teaching responsibility and that nothing is free) she took her piggy bank with us and paid to have her ears done

I waiting until my girl was 7 to decide to have them done

I waited until my daughter was old enough to make the decision on her own. It’s her body, not mine. She was 7 when she decided to have them pierced.

1 Like

I got mine done at 6 months old. I think it’s fine but see if dad will meet u half way come to some sort of compromise maybe.

Personally i think when kid can ask or tell you that ears hurt or not. Capable of cleaning/maintaining etc. At 10 i was told i was getting pierced. Wasnt a choice. It didn’t bother me at the time. But would of been nice to be asked not told. My kid will get hers done when she asks.

1 Like

My man is the same way. Wont budge on it at all. And i wanted to take my daughter in her first year. He says we have to wait until she asks for them too

Mine was 6 when she got pierced, her decision not mine. We went to Walmart and a very good associate pierced her ears with no tears. An elderly couple was so impressed with her they asked me if they could buy her a doll

1 Like

get her the magnetic backed ones or clip ons so she feels included, I bought my niece bunch until her parents decided she could handle the responsibilty of keeping them clean.

5 Likes

I was 6 and asked. Im doing the same with my little girl so she can decide :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe it’s the child’s decision. We

1 Like

I had my daughters done at 4 months

1 Like

My daughter has that when my grand daughter asks then she will get them done

1 Like

We waited till she kept asking for earrings! She was 2. I did lightly pinch her ear lobes and let her know it may hurt a couple times! It did not phase her one bit!

1 Like

Wait till she is older let her decide thats what i did with my daughter waited till she was 8 and her and i got it done together

1 Like

I heard ur supposed to wait til after 6 because of the earlobe changing or something. I heard this from a professional piercer who also was an rn. Also theres no way for them to really decide at that at 3.5

Got my daughters done at 1.5. She had them done for about 2 years, before having a reaction to an earring that required an I&D to remove it. And when she was almost 6, she kept saying she wanted them redone.

We waited until 5 when she was old enough to ask and understand it would hurt a little

Do you feel she is mature for her age? I chose to wait and allow my daughter to decide on her own. She was 3 years old when she expressed interest, we discussed the process and she then made the choice to get her ears pierced.

I’ve been wanting to do my daughter’s since she was born but we haven’t had the money. My husband and I were just having this conversation last night. Anyone get their baby’s done at 2 1/2?

I am so glad my mom never got mine pierced when I was a baby. I’m 22 now and still dont have a piercing of any kind because I do not like them. Let your daughter decide. Plus that young of age they can still pull at them and get them dirty. But if you do get them done. Go to a professional at a tattoo place. Domt get them done at like the mall or Walmart.

2 Likes

:raising_hand_woman:t3: I did it :raising_hand_woman:t3:
My daughter had her ears pierced for her 1st birthday…
My mum had mine done before I turned 1…

Personally I don’t see the point in waiting :woman_shrugging:t3::heart:

I pierced my daughters when she was 6 months and I wished I waited until she was 6 or 7yrs, because her ears close all the time and she no longer wears earings because it got to be too much. She now wears cute clip-ons

Umm… If she’s telling you she wants them pierced isn’t that considered deciding herself…? I think he may mean he just wants to wait till she’s older maybe…?

2 Likes

I was 8. Mom’s rule I had to be olds enough to care for them myself

1 Like

I would wait until they ask. My daughter(shes7) when she turned 6, I asked her if she wanted it done as a birthday gift. She was excited and said yes. A few weeks later (I asked before her bday) she got scared and said “no mommy it will hurt. I dont want to.” And when I ask now she just says “no thank you”. I dont have mine done (had them done at 3 and again at 16 before I had my daughter) and I don’t want them done, I let them grow over.(my daughter doesnt know this) but some people dont want an ear piercing. I want my belly, tongue and nose done though.

Ashley good idea. Or lightly prick with a needle and see how she reacts? It hurts, but they have these aauto things now that is a snap to do. .

Big fat nooo. 3.5 is not old enough to make those types of decisions. Piercings are body modifications that the person who owns the body should be the one consciously deciding knowing EXACTLY what it is and what it means to maintain them and be the one maintaining them. A 3.5 yo would not be able to take care of them and would likely mess with them all the time when they are trying to heal. Not appropriate at all.

1 Like

Everyone is different some get it done when they’re girls are infants, but we waited until our daughter was old enough to decide for herself. Simply bc I didn’t want to pierce them if she didn’t want them pierced & I didn’t wanna hurt her if she decided later she didn’t want them

If she’s 3.5 she can surely talk, so ask her. Then take her if she says yes.

Younger is better… they dont mess with them… my kids 4 of the 6 have piercings and they didnt have a problem… more that someone they didnt know was touching them… the younger they were the better it was…

1 Like

momma, if you want her ears pierced go do it, if she is too young to care for them, just make sure you are taking care of them, she’ll thank you when she’s older

My daughter got them done really late 8.

I don’t believe in it
Any younger than 10 then it’s a no for me. A small child doesn’t need to be fashionable just cause other young ones have them. Would you get your child a tattoo

2 Likes

My husband and I decided on If they could ask and understood it can sting/pinch. Then they were old enough to get them.

Sorry I meant automatic devices to pierce.

Got my ears pierced before I could crawl, I didn’t even wear earrings for a few years and they’re still pierced, love that my mom did it

I think it looks adorable but I want to personally (my choice and I have nothing against those that do it) want to teach my daughter it’s her body, what right do I have to do that to her body without her concent, can I do her nose or belly button, or tattoo her… I know they r more extrem but I don’t want to modify her perfect body without her concent, and even 3 they don’t understand the long term consequences to concent, the risk of infection, the metal not agreeing with them
This is all just my opinion, not saying anyone is wrong just simply my view for my child xx

2 Likes

I’m waiting until my daughter asks to get hers done. She is 3 now and hasn’t said anything about wanting them done and I’m ok with that

1 Like

My daughter is almost 4 and has shown interest too. We decided to wait until she could decide for herself too. Once she told me she wanted it, I explained how they use a needle like what they use for shots and they make the little hole for the earring. I told her it hurts but only for a little bit. Shes been hesitant since. I just think it’s important that she understand it’s not just like putting on a necklace, that it hurts and will have to heal like an owie.

2 Likes

I had to wait til I was old enough to take care of them…
Lol
Then I hit my teenage years and did the about 4 more layers up my ears by myself :wink:

Why not get her tattooed like mommy ?

7 Likes

Seems like 3.5 is prime age for playing with & pulling out earrings. Get her stick-on “jewels.”

6 Likes

I think it’s great you waited. Explain to her how it feels and let her make the call. Children get so FEW choices when they’re young ear piercings are a perfect liberation for them to feel and it seriously hurts no one! Just my opinion and I will let my daughter make the call. Also I’d take her to a tattoo shop that does piercings so much cleaner

3 Likes

Small children shouldn’t get them pierced. I believe kids should wait till they can make their own decision
And 3 isn’t old enough to do that.

5 Likes

Lol me and my BD are the opposite. Our daughter who just turned 1 doesn’t have her ears pierced and he’s mad that we didn’t do it when she was only a couple month old. I said I want to wait until she’s old enough to decide for herself. He says well it will hurt more then. I don’t think it will hurt anymore or any less. If she tells me one day she wants them hen we will get them. I’m not just going to do it because people think she’ll look cute. She’s already cute !

1 Like

My daughter is almost 4 and she kept telling me she wanted her ears pierced. I have mine done I just dont wear earrings often. I told her that when they do it its going to hurt she said it’s ok mommy I’m a tuff girl. So we got them done she loves having her ears pierced. We were going to get them done when she was a baby but waited for her to tell us that she wanted them done.

I waited until my daughter was 6 and she asked x

I waited till my daughter was 5

Mine done on 1st birthday.

Ours was 1, 3, 7… I was 5 months

1 Like

All my daughters was 6 months when They had the ears pierced

3 Likes

i made the mistake of getting my oldest daughters pierced when she was 3 months. She’s 9 now and refuses to wear them. My 6 yr old got hers pierced when she was almost 4. She asked every single day for a year and had to prove it’s something she really wanted and that she would take care of them. Now it’s been a little over 2 years and she’s never gone more than 1 day with out wearing ear rings

I waited till my daughter told me she wanted them. She waited till she was 15

Had my daughters ears Pierced when she was a baby!

2 Likes

I agree with your childs father ! Wait until she’s old enough! Wait until she understands. I feel like its selfish to make a decision like that for her. They hurt and that’s her body ! How are we supposed to teach children that it’s thier body , their choice when we make decisions like that for them?

4 Likes

I say wait. I am one of those odd people that didn’t want my ears pierced and did it for my Jr prom. I literally did it the day before, wore the earrings I bought to go with my dress the next day and 20+ years later, still have holes even though I took the earrings out that night after prom. I have one that finally closed up but just in the middle about 10 years ago. I wasn’t happy they didn’t close back up but now I am thinking I want to get it repierced. Lol. I am so sensitive to any metal though, that I can literally put one in the hole that didn’t close up and it is burning and itching as soon as I poke it through. I say since you didn’t get it done when she was smaller, wait until she is older and can make an informed decision (IMO 3 is not old enough to consent.) And can take care of them herself. It should be her choice. I would say she is at the prime age to want to mess with them too much when she 1st gets them done also. And if she is allergic to the metal, it can mean a mess and a lot more pain for her than just the piercing itself. Also, be glad that BD recognizes the fact that she should be allowed to decide for herself. That is respect for her and too many males don’t realize that so many choices about our bodies are taken away. Piercing seems like no big deal because so many people have it done but…when she gets to be older, she may think man! I wish they would have let me decide to modify my body! So, I agree…wait until she is old enough to made an informed decision and can care for then properly on her own.

My daughter just turned 5 and has been wanting her ears pierced. If she still does by her next birthday we’ll get them done.

Wait my kids are 9,6 and almost 5 and ik still waiting for them to tell me they want them done

I did it as a surprise to my husband lmao got both my girls done at 1 year of some sort

I have 2 girls- she’s going to choose to want it done anyway.

Sounds like she is interested in having them, but we waited until ours was old enough to understand how to take care of them.

My daughter was 4 months old when I got her wars pierced. I got mine done when I was 13 and had no end of issues when them until I was 23 so I made the decision that if I ever had a little girl I’d get her ears done early on so I could take care of them for her. My daughter is almost 2 now and loves having new earrings put in. It’s up to you really hun. X

1 Like

Get the professionally done. ear piericing guns cannot be sanitized. Can cause major problems

2 Likes

Wait till their older. It’s safer

With my oldest, we got hers pierced and when we went to take the original earrings out, she totally freaked and would not let me put new ones in, so they grew over, she’s 16 today and still doesn’t want earrings so it’s probably best to let your daughter decide, my youngest daughter is 8 and some days she wants earrings and some days she don’t so it’s totally up to her one day or not

I told my oldest she could at 6. My family has a history of being allergic to metal so I wanted to wait. She’s 8 and has no interest now

1 Like

I agree with the husband wait for her to make a decision my parents made me wait until i was 18. I dont mind it at all.

1 Like

The piercer at our local shop, and no im not talking Claire’s, suggests 5 years old. At that point the risk of dirty hands infecting it’s less and they will notice if one falls out.

My niece decided to get hers done when she was 4. She loves them and helps take care of them.

1 Like

I had mine done as a baby, which was great because I have no memory of the pain😅.

3 Likes

All 3 of my kids were under 4 months

4 Likes

let her decide when she’s a little older. my daughter got hers pierced in kindergarten

1 Like

My son chose to get his ears pierced when he was 5. Safest place to do any piercings with actual professionals is a tattoo shop, that’s where we went. He didn’t cry or anything…healed very quickly too.

1 Like

Take her and get them pierced. While she is little she wont pull and mess with them as much. Lowers the risk of infection. I got my LO done after her first set of shots at like 2 or 3 months old. They were healed completely in 2 weeks. Claire’s used two guns and it was done in 3 seconds. Did them both at the same time. They are doing amazing!

2 Likes

My ex and I agreed to wait until our oldest was old enough to want them. When she was 5 she asked me if she could have Frozen ear rings. I told her her ears weren’t pierced. She asked of she could get them done so I brought her. Our youngest daughter is 2 and does not have hers done. You can always get clip on ear rings or the sticker ones for her.

My mom waited until I was about 4 to let me get my ears pierced, but some mom’s do it sooner. Don’t get them done with a piercing gun, it is much more painful than getting them done by hand.

I’d say take her when she’s old enough to actually make the decision herself 5 is actually a good age. I do not condone piercing babies ears.

While l would wait- l’d heavily suggest getting them done professionally rather than at Claires or a sketchy kiosk. The guns cannot, l repeat can not be 100% cleaned properly and cause unnecessary trauma to the ear in comparison. A child being a minor and unable to completely understand the risks deserves to at least have them done professionally by someone who comprehends the art and the risks that come with it instead of those disgusting guns used by Claires. :expressionless:

1 Like

Wait until/if they choose to have THEIR ears pierced.

I told my daughter she could whenever she decided to and explained all that happens and at 6&1/2 still doesn’t want to coz she’s scared.

My parents got my ears pierced when I turn one. Family tradition

Certain things are up for mom to decide. Do it when they are babies period

2 Likes

My sister took my niece to get hers done at a tattoo shop at 5. She loves them had been wanting them done for a while. It took some time to find a place to do it that young.