When to pierce babies ears?

what’s a good age for ear piercing?
part of me says young so they won’t tug on them when healing … other part says wait till older
my baby will be 6 weeks Monday and thinkimg about doing it

30 Likes

My daughter was 2 months old, it went perfectly. She’s 12 now and has second holes.

6 Likes

I’ve waited until my daughter was ready to tell me she wanted her ears pierced.

14 Likes

My sister was 3 days old and she is now 30. No issues. But this was back when everyone did it so young.

5 Likes

If you’re going to get a baby’s ears pierced PLEASE go to a licensed piercer/tattoo shop. They will lance the ear with a thin sharp needle. If you go to a place like Walmart all they do it load the earring into a plastic machine that jams frequently and jab it into the earlobe. Much more painful and likely to cause infection!! I was a certified piercer at Walmart and always instructed people with babies to take them to a tattoo shop instead.

8 Likes

Honestly the younger the better imo. My cousin got them as a bday present when she was like 12. She was responsible for cleaning them and stuff and they got infected because she didnt. She also had to have them repierced twice because she kept having to take them out for sports and they would heal closed.

2 Likes

I’m waiting til my daughter can clean them properly/ not pull at them and until she’s old enough to get them done at a clean, reputable tattoo/piercing shop (I had a difficult time healing my own piercings so its just my choice to do it this way!)

2 Likes

When they’re old enough to ask for it to be done

6 Likes

I always waited until they were old enough to choose for themselves whether they wanted holes in their ears.

8 Likes

Do it now if you want. She won’t remember the pain. She won’t tug on it and it’s cute. But PLEASE if you do do it please DO NOT go to places like Claire’s. It’s so bad for them and it easily gets infected from proper sterilization

6 Likes

I was 2 when my mom got mine done

2 Likes

I waited until my daughters could decide for themselves. They were 4 & 5

4 Likes

My preference is when they’re old enough to ask. My 7 year old is thinking about it now.

5 Likes

I did my daughter’s very young… Not one issue with them… I think its better young because you can take better care of them…

1 Like

I wanted to do it when my daughter got her 2month shots but my husband said no. So we comprised to get them done this year for her 2nd birthday. I wish I could’ve got them done earlier so she wouldn’t be able to pull on them.

I say the earlier the better. But I’m still getting my daughter’s done in November. Cause she’s always wanting to touch mine and see them

1 Like

Wait til they r old enough to ask. My daughter is 5 and she is wanting one

2 Likes

With my daughter I decided that it’s her body her choice. So if that’s what she wants when shes older then ok

5 Likes

When they ask for it themselves

7 Likes

Pierced my daughters at 4 months old and never had an issue. But seriously dont post this shit on here unless you wanna be bashed all damn day. These women on here live to bash people on this page.

I got my daughter’s pierced around 8yrs old when she asked…but I think it would’ve been easier to get them done while she was little as far as maintenance on them.

2 Likes

I got my daughters ears Pierced at 3 months,Without any problems!!

2 Likes

my mom hand mine done at a year old and I’d I have any girls I’d do the same

2 Likes

I had my 2 year old daughter done at 4 months at her pediatricians office. I’ve had no issues. Plan on doing the little girl I’m currently pregnant with at 4 months too.

2 Likes

I did my daughters at 3 months and she did really well

2 Likes

I heard their ear lobes are numb until age 6 months.

1 Like

My first born I did when she was 2 months (I was a certified piercer at the time so I took her to my shop cause I couldn’t do it myself) my second daughter I’m going to wait till she asks for them.

1 Like

You are her mother so when you feel the time is right for you and your family and it’s safe make the decision. Mom judging/shaming is 2018

2 Likes

Wait until she is old enough to choose for herself. Also, when the time comes I would visit with her pediatrician. Our pediatrician’s office does ear piercing.

3 Likes

I would do it earlier. I had mine done at 3-6 months and have zero problems versus any of the ones I’ve gotten done as an adult have had an issue. Plus when she’s younger she won’t pull at them like a toddler would!

2 Likes

Wait till your Daughter says ^Mom, i want my ears pierced ^. Easy, her decision.

4 Likes

I had my 3 girls done at 4 months old! Hair isn’t long enough to wrap around and or make infections by playing with and can do whilst they feed no tears
My 9 year old had her 2nds done for her 9th birthday and loves them she is nearly 10.

1 Like

6wks is way too early. I’d wait till at least 6months

6 months! I waited too long and I regret it now because now I have to wait until my daughters old enough to not infect it :confused:

1 Like

Ask your pediatrician my girls were allergic caused bad infection

my daughter is 8 months old and i’m going to be getting hers done within the next month… just make sure you get it done by an actual piercer that uses a hollow tip needle NOT A GUJ because (even though many people, including myself, had success with them) guns damage the tissue since they just essentially shove the earring through your ear whereas the hollow tip needle actually makes an opening for the earring

2 Likes

I got my daughter’s ears pierced at 10 days old.

2 Likes

I did both my girls when they were a couple months old but I’d go to a tattoo place I’ve heard there way better at piercing babys ears

2 Likes

Ask doctor and don’t use a piercing gun. It’s better to find a tattoo/piercing shop that will do it. My mom let Claire’s Pierce my ears and they messed it up so bad, I was embarrassed to have my hair short or up.

1 Like

6 months. Go to a professional too. Not Clair’s or Walmart.

4 Likes

Do not do it! That is too young! I have done plenty of piercings. Their ears will grow as they do and then the holes WILL end up being uneven and when she is old enough (as in asked herself) then please take her to a tattoo shop where a professional can do it and not some half trained teenager from the mall.

5 Likes

Had my daughters done at 3 months and shes never messed with them once or had problems.

2 Likes

I did my daughters at 6 months and she didnt have any problems

2 Likes

2 months is when my girls got there’s done

2 Likes

Why is it necessary at all? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Personally I’m letting my child wait until she is old enough to make that decision on her own but for anyone that wants to pierce their child’s ears I would do it as a newborn before they have much control of their limbs so that they don’t tug in their ears and cause irritation and infection :+1:t2: also take them to a reputable piercing salon instead of Claire’s or Walmart

1 Like

Both my girls got it at 3 months. The eldest was good, no problem afterwards. The second wasnt so good, as she got older she would tug on them and it would bleed. For what i see its different for each kid :woman_shrugging: as for myself i am glad my mom got mines done when i was little, i am so scared of needles.

2 Likes

When they are old enough to take care of them.

2 Likes

When YOU feel like it, you are the mom :relaxed:

4 Likes

My mom did mine at a few weeks old and they’re super uneven. She had them done at our family’s doctors office :upside_down_face: When you decide to get them done, please go to a piercing shop. They might make you wait a little longer, but it’s better than having uneven earrings she’ll have to redo later in life.

5 Likes

Whenever you want too. It’s your child.

I would do 6 months

2 Likes

I did my baby at 3 months.

2 Likes

I did all three of my girls at 6 was they were use to them so they never bothered them when they got older

1 Like

My first daughter got hers done when she was almost 2 1/2 and she never bothered them. My other daughter is going to be one soon and I’m thinking about it but in reality I’ll probably wait

2 Likes

I was 3 months old. My daughter was 1.
She had an issue with the metal at first, even hypoallergenic ones. She’s outgrown it but she had to use the old fashioned rubber/plastic ones for about a yr.

2 Likes

My daughter was 3 but I do wish I would have done it when I first got her at a mth old

2 Likes

My daughters got their done with 6 & 9 Months. I was 2 Months old when my Mom got mine.

3 Likes

My daughter won’t be allowed to until right before kindergarten. She’s 2 1/2 and has asked, and I said no. She’s too young. She doesn’t understand what body modifications are, so why should she have them. Plus, like the above comments, I heard if you get them young they are uneven when they are older.

2 Likes

My daughter was a year old when I got her’s pierced didn’t even cry

1 Like

For both of my girls…I’m waiting until they are old enough to tell me they want them and understand what it means to have them. I (myself…not my parents!) didnt get mine pierced until I was 10. It should be the child’s decision.

4 Likes

All parents are different do what you wanna do if you wanna Pearce your baby’s :ear: ears by all means that’s your choice I have always heard if you do it when there real little they won’t mess with it when they get alittle older or it won’t hurt as bad cause they are so little they don’t thank bout it that much my opinion I don’t thank it’s a bad ideal to do if you have a little girl :wink: but little boy’s no I would not g
Do it cause I’ve always heard the way I was raised a boy with both he’s ears pierced is a sign of quear straight up :100: J’s

2 Likes

We did my daughters at 6. She asked for it, we made super fun time of it. Had ice cream and she chose the earrings. They’re healed and she never played with them. It was definitely a milestone for her

2 Likes

If you would pierce an infant boy’s ears, why pierce your infant girl’s?

2 Likes

Its a personal decision AND your child. Youre the parent. Not everyone else. 💁 I was a baby when I had mine done and whats the worst that can happen? Theyll never wear earrings when theyre older? Oh well. Mine have never closed and I hardly ever wear earrings.

1 Like

My mom waited until I was older. I was maybe 4 or 5. I didn’t tug on them and I loved them! She left that choice up to me. All I have to say is make sure she’s not allergic to metal!!! We found out I’m allergic to everything except gold and silver. That was the only painful ear pulling I remember.

2 Likes

You’re going to get so many mixed reviews. There is a big movement now for “let them choose” that wasn’t around when we were babies… My mom pierced my ears as a newborn, probably by herself in the kitchen :woman_shrugging::grimacing::joy: I don’t hate that my ears are pierced but I also don’t ever wear earrings… I gaged them in high school but not huge to about an 8 and they’re closed up now and I could wear normal size earrings I just don’t wan2, I rarely do cause my ears have always been sensitive. It has to be good metal… I didn’t pierce my daughter’s and she’s now 5yrs and she’s asking but man it’s going to hurt. And I remember adding holes to my ears in high school and just how bad it effing hurt. So idk. Theoretically I wanted it to be her choice but now in dreading it. A lot of pediatricians will do it in office, but not all. If you do decide to do it, find someone who will do it correctly, not using a gun. There is absolutely no way to properly clean them. You want a piercer who uses needles if you choose to do it

I just don’t see a reason to do it at all until they are old enough to understand they can’t touch them

2 Likes

We did 6 months for two of our girls. One was 9 years and it was awful for her. They are no longer in she cried more then the other two who were 6 months and 12 months. I mean she was hyperventilating and all. She is my step daughter and unfortunately her mom felt it was her responsibility to care for them even though that is not how we felt. My son also got his done at 6 years . He asked for a year before I gave in.

When they are old enough to decide they want their body pierced

2 Likes

Babies shouldn’t have pierced ears, in my opinion. It’s too dangerous and it’s not for the baby, the baby doesn’t care if it’s ears are pierced it’s only for the parents preference

3 Likes

I’m waiting until my kids actually want their ears pierced. My almost 4 year old has never showed an interest. I’ve known too many little kids who have infected their own ears or pulled them out and then had them close.

2 Likes

It’s your baby do what you want 🤷

4 Likes

My oldest daughter I had pierced at 13 months, and I decided to let my youngest choose for herself, she’s only three but she wants her ears pierced just like her sister, in hindsight I should have just done it when she was a baby like I did for my older daughter and like my mom did for me, and if she later decided she didn’t want them she could just take it out. If I pierce her ears now she’d probably remember the pain, and might not leave her ears alone while healing, I’m gonna have to wait till shes a bit older, really wants them, and is ready for them.

2 Likes

You should wait until they’ve had their first round of vaccinations and go to a professional piercer! Tattoo shop/piercing shop. Piercing guns are horrible for ears and can cause future issues.

6 Likes

I’m waiting till my daughter (7 weeks) is old enough to ask for it, want it for a while. Plus she’ll need to be able to clean it. Thats what my mom did for me. I was like 5 or so

3 Likes

My mom waited until I was 7 to have my ears pierced when it was my choice. I’m almost 22 now and I enjoyed being able to have it done at that age. I have a son but if I have a daughter in the future, I will be waiting until she is around 3+ years old. That’s personal preference though! I would just recommend a professional place to reduce any risk of infection at such a young age! <3

1 Like

I waited until my daughter was 5 and could decide for herself.

1 Like

My personal opinion, when she is old enough and responsible enough to take care of the piercing and the jewelry.

3 Likes

My mom got mine done at just a couple months… with my daughter I’m waiting until she’s old enough to get them done in a tattoo shop… it’s much more sterile than Claire’s or anywhere that uses a gun… most tattoo shops… at least around me won’t do it under 5 years old

I got my daughters done at 6 months at a tattoo shop! She hardly cried. I think she was angrier because we had to hold her still and she couldn’t watch. As soon as I let her go she stopped crying. We’ve had zero problems with them and she never touched or bothered them.

2 Likes

It better to do it younger. I did all 3 of mine at 2 mos. The cartilage in the ears gets tougher w age.

2 Likes

When my daughter was born her pediatrician told me if I wanted it done to do it before 2 months or after 2 years… because of the pulling factor. We didn’t do it until she made the decision at 6.

3 Likes

I’m waiting until my daughter can make the decision her self. She’s 1 now

5 Likes

When she’s old Enough to tell you she wants them!!!

4 Likes

Wait until she is old enough to decide when she wants it

4 Likes

My daughter just turned 14 and got her ears pierced for the first time

2 Likes

I had mine done at 3 months and was grateful that hey did it for me. However I’m not piercing my daughters ears until hey ask. Hopefully that helps

2 Likes

My daughter was 2 months. Her doc did it. No issues and she barely cried

1 Like

When they can ask for them and are able to keep them clean themselves.

2 Likes

I knew someone who pierced her daughter at 3months and the baby just cried for 2minutes and she never had a problem. I got pierced at 8thgrade and i was so terrified as a kid. Im planning to have my daughter pierced at maybe 3months.

2 Likes

I did one daughter at six weeks and the other at three months
Took them to a Peircing artist at a tattoo shop healed fine no infection

1 Like

Our pediatrician did ours at 2 months. Never regretted it. It’s your child and your decision. The girls in our family never had an issue with them.

6 Likes

Personally, I waited until they wanted it done. I honestly believe it may have been easier if I would have done ot when they were younger though.

1 Like

When they are old enough to ask for it at least

3 Likes

I got my daughter’s done just after she turned 4. It was her reward for getting completely potty trained.

I got my LOs ears pierced at 6 months. Don’t let anyone tell you what you can or can’t do. Just follow your own heart and gut.

4 Likes

I waited until my oldest daughter was old enough to decide if she actually wanted them (7) and was able to take care of them herself.

My 4 yo wants hers done too but I’m waiting a bit longer.

1 Like

This women is asking for advice not to be bashed gosh these mom groups are vicious

7 Likes

I did my girls at 6 years old & 2 years old. But you have to be careful because my 2yo was excited to take a bath & without thinking I let her take her own shirt off (because she’s such a big girl now lol) & she ripped the back of one so now they’re out & we will wait a little longer.

Do it whenever you’re comfortable. You’ll find people that will bash you no matter what you do.

1 Like

You have to wait till after the 2 month check i think. You should talk to your dr to make sure.

1 Like