When to pierce babies ears?

I say, do what you want to do momma. Not everyone is going to agree with your decision and people will cut you down. But at the end of the day, she’s your daughter. When she gets older if she doesn’t want them anymore, she can always take them out and let them grow up. Typically you can’t get a babies ears pierced until they’re at least 3 months old. Good luck with whatever you choose to do momma.

3 Likes

When they’re old enough to realize they’re doing something they want , not just because their mommy thinks it’s cute. Because their mommy can go get their own ears pierced.

2 Likes

Do it if you want! Who cares what other people say

1 Like

When the child can decide for herself if she wants her ears pierced.

1 Like

Y’all it’s okay to have different opinions on this. We’re all going to. No need to shame each other or act like fools about it!

1 Like

I had it done at 16 months. No issues.

1 Like

I was told not till after 4 month shots for infection purposes. My doctor gave me the go though

2 Likes

I didnt pierce my daughter’s ears. She’s 13 now and has no desire to have them pierced. If she changes her mind down the road then I’ll gladly take her to a real piercer to get them done.
Every mom is different. I just believe that I shouldn’t make permanent cosmetic decisions for her as she will be the one to live with them for the rest of her life.

3 Likes

Do it… your baby will be fine and will live to see the next day. It’s your child

4 Likes

Mine were done at 3mons I didn’t die… nor am I scared from a traumatic ear piercing :joy: I don’t even remember it. lol also my daughters will be done at that age. If she doesn’t like them when she’s older take them out simple. Everyone’s entitled to their own decisions. Don’t let people influence you. It’s your child :heart:

2 Likes

Lol here comes all the moms that will say it’s abuse or not needed. A lot of shit hurts and a lot of shit is not needed BUT do it. I had mine pierced at 6 years old and I was so scared they aren’t even and I cried all day and night. I remember that day clearly. Do it now when she’s a little bit older but not one

I did my daughter’s at 4 months and her blankets kept ripping them out so now they are out and waiting till she wants them

I went to a professional rn and she said to wait til after 6 years old (she refused to do it before then) because the earlobes aren’t done growing. Besides I know it’s a small thing but I feel like the kid should have a choice. My opinion tho of course

2 Likes

We waited until she was old enough to take care of them properly.

Yes after 2 month check. I have two girls both pierced around 3 month mark. Perfectly fine. As did my mom do for me. I think it would be a bit tramatic to put a young child through that. I’m glad I don’t remember it :joy:

3 Likes

Ultimately the choice is up to you. I personally want to wait till my daughter is older and is responsible enough to clean them herself as well as it’ll be a fun mother/ daughter experience that she’ll always remember

I personally would wait until she is able to express an interest in having them done. But to each their own do what you want to do and don’t worry about what other people think :purple_heart:

3 Likes

When they’re old enough to ask for it🤷‍♀️

2 Likes

I used to pierce ears and we had to give a “disclaimer” so to speak if under age 3. The ears are still growing so they can end up uneven or just in the wrong spot entirely messing up other ear piercings later in life if so desired to have more… but that was the only reason to wait if you do it now make sure they dont pierce directly in the middle needs to be towards the bottom or else it will not look good by teen years. I had mine done as a baby and I had to let mine grow over and get it redone later on

My family made it a tradition at 5 years old, all the women in the family go with to watch you get your ears pierced if you wanted them. :woman_shrugging:t2: makes it memorable and a cool tradition, and you’re then not torturing a poor baby who has no choice in the matter.

I did my daughter’s around 11-12weeks old, no regrets, no issues

2 Likes

Waited till she asked at like 5.

1 Like

I wanted to pierce my daughters as a baby, but my dad threw a fit and convinced me to wait until she was older. She turned 3 in february and a few weeks ago she told me she wanted to get some pretty earrings. So i explained she had to have her ears pierced and that it would hurt for a little bit, but then she could have her pretty earrings. She thought about it and said ok. I took her to a tattoo and piercing shop and she did incredible. She climbed up in the chair and just sat there, no fighting, no squirming, no crying, nothing. They had a guy on each side to do it at the same time, one guy was a second late, so she flinched, but that was all!!! She’s been telling everyone “check out my pretty earrings!” And hasnt messed with them at all or complained at all other than when her shirt got caught on one the other day. Even then all she said was “ow my ear!” She even gladly comes over and sits still so I can twist and clean them without any problems at all. I gotta say, I had wanted to do it as a baby because I was sure that if I waited til she was older that she’d mess with them constantly and that they’d get infected. Or that she’d take them out and lose them and have to get them redone. Or that she’d be like me at 8 years old and wanting them, but then watching the kids in front of me crying and bleeding and being held down and screaming bloody murder (Claire’s) and it terrified me!!! Im still scared of needles because of that horrific day. But with Ava, I took her to a professional piercer, not some teen with a piercing gun in the mall who most likely doesnt even clean that gun. They had different rooms, so there was privacy and no watching anyone before you that might freak out and scare the kiddo. They even told me straight up, look if she gets in there and decides she doesnt want it, we will NOT hold her down and we will NOT do the piercing. I LOVED that!!! My point is, I can see the view from both sides and I think it has more to do with you and your choice. There are pros and cons for both as a baby and waiting. I gotta say, that feeling of excitement when she told me she wanted them was SO SO SO worth the wait though!! It made into something we did together and made it more special than it would’ve been if I’d just taken her as a little baby!! But I do insist you take them to an actual piercing shop with needles, not a shop in the mall run by teenagers with a piercing gun!! My ears took 4 months to heal completely and were swollen for 3 weeks!!! And they HURT SO BAD for months. Ava? Hers never swelled AT ALL!!! They turned pink for maybe 15 minutes, but that was it!!! No swelling, no lingering pain, way less likely to get an infection, and heals much faster and nicer! Do some research, there are more reasons a professionally licensed piercer is a million times better and safer than going to say Claire’s! Until that moment she decided herself that she wanted them I’d been mad at my dad for making me wait to get her ears done, but now I’m really glad and grateful because I got to have that experience with her and watch her face light up with joy when she saw them!! Watching her be excited all week until we went. Letting her pick out her very own earrings. The pride I felt at how well behaved and calm and brave she was during!! I’ll definitely be waiting with any future children too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My son chose to get his ears pierced at age 5. We went to a professional… At a tattoo shop. He didn’t cry or anything when it happened :slight_smile: … I personally wouldn’t go to the mall or anything for piercings especially for a baby… Ask your pediatrician if they do it or can refer you somewhere safe and professional

2 Likes

I’d say wait until she decides to do it…

Go for it. Not really a big deal.

3 Likes

I’m having this same issue. I had boys so I never had to worry about it, but my husband has a daughter who is about to be 6 and just got hers done. His ex wife and he agreed that they would let her ask…

But this is my first daughter and last child that I’m expecting and I had mine done super young. I don’t want to do it at 3, 4, or even 8 months old, but maybe at the first birthday instead of a hair cut? I just know how dirty little kids hands can be and don’t want them getting ripped out or infected. If done at a younger age, they will forget they are even there!

All of my daughters had them done when they were 2 months old after their first round of vaccines.

1 Like

I would wait and let them ask and have them help clean them as a responsibility for them. I know its easier now. But its there body

I’d say wait till she is old enough to ask to have it done herself,she can then go to an actual professional piercer and have it done with sterile equipment from someone who is trained to do it. Personally I don’t see any reason why to get them done as there’s no need for them, I see it as would you take an older child or an adult to get a piercing if they were unable to communicate to you if they want it or not?. At the end of the day this type of question will always have people for it and against it but she’s your child so your choice on if to have them done or not.

Did my daughter at 4 months.

3 Likes

I debated this for a while with my daughter. We decided not to do it until she could tell us she wanted to get them done and take care of them. She’s 2.5 now and likes my earrings, but I am still glad I made that choice. I have three holes in each ear, the first were done when I was a baby and they aren’t straight, the second set are not straight either and we’re done when I was a little older, the third set are the only ones that look good and are straight/even. I hate wearing earrings in each hole, because it’s clear they aren’t straight and I didn’t want my daughter to have uneven piercings because I took her when she was a baby to get her first set done. Also, she will only have them pierced at a piercing place/tattoo shop, where they are specialized in the sanitary and also getting them even. It’s a forever choice, yes, you can just take them out if you don’t like them, but the holes will always be there, and if she decides she doesn’t like them pierced at all, there is no getting rid of the holes left.

Wait until she asks for it.

Wait until your child decides for herself that she wants them pierced. It’s her body!

1 Like

Wait until they ask. What if they didn’t want their ears pierced? It’s solely for the parents vanity

1 Like

Wait til they ask for it. I regret doing my daughter’s when she was 2 and wish I would have waited til she is old enough to choose to. Waiting w my other daughter!!

Consult your pediatrician. Many of them can do them in their office.

2 Likes

When they are old enough to ask for it and be responsible enough to care for and clean them

Some pediatricians do it right in their office. Most wait till they least had their 2 month vaccines but you can do it sooner if you wish.

2 Likes

Honestly there is no reason for a baby to have earrings! As excited as I am for our daughter to get her ears pierced we are going to wait until she is at least 4 and wants them!

2 Likes

I would personally wait until she states that wants them done. I’m glad my parents waited until I was able to ask to get them done because it’s an amusing memory that I will forever have about my dad and I :slight_smile:

1 Like

My opinion is that it’s her body, it’s her choice. I allowed my 5 year old to tell me when she was ready. She was able to voice her opinion to me. I will bring up my youngest who is 7 weeks that way as well.

2 Likes

I am a heavily pierced (especially facially) mother and I will not allow my child to get punch piercings. She will be allowed to have basic earings when she turns 13. She will be going to an experienced piercer at a shop

5 Likes

When they’re old enough to ask for them to be pierced

5 Likes

I let my daughter decide, she doesn’t have her ears pierced to this day, she’s 33

3 Likes

Honestly I’ve been having such a debate with myself about this very thing. My daughter is now 16 months old & doesn’t have her ears pierced. I’ve weighed my options and done my research on it. I personally had mine pierced when I was 6 weeks old I believe. But I decided to wait to do my daughters until I can take her to a licensed piercer. Not only is it cleaner & safer, a piercer doesn’t use a gun which hurts less as well. Just a personal preference :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Had my daughters done exactly 6 weeks before her first birthday. Her Aunt bought her tiny diamond studs for her birthday. There was no problem with them.She really didnt notice they were there. Easy to keep clean. Hers were done at the local Walmart jewelry department. The lady did a great job.When she turned 12 she got a second hole above the others. Her choice.

2 Likes

When she decides she wants her ears pierced

1 Like

We decided to wait until it was her decision. My daughter is 4 and had in the past said she wanted hers pierced, so I explained that it would be a needle poking a hole for the earring…and she decided she wasn’t up for it. It’s important to me that she understand what it entails, including the process of getting them pierced and healing.

1 Like

One daughter was 3 when she asked to get hers done. (Done at Walmart w a gun)
One daughter was 4 when she asked. (Done at a tattoo shop w a needle only has one ear done)
Last daughter is over 4 and hasnt asked.
Older girls dont wear earrings.

My daughters was done at 8 months and I am so so so glad I got them done so young. I do not agree with waiting till they are older. Absolutely no regrets with getting it done young

3 Likes

My honest opinion it’s a good way to get infected…

1 Like

They need their first set of needles to do else where

We did my daughters ears at 5 months. Never had any issue with them

3 Likes

My mom had mine done when I was a baby and now as an adult I don’t even wear earrings. Wait until she’s older and can decide for herself. Also don’t take her to those little shops in the mall. Go to a reputable tattoo/piercing parlor. The tools they use are 100% sterilized and new needless are used for each ear. And since their tools are used to actually pierce the skin you won’t cause blunt force trauma to her ears. The shops in the mall use a punch gun that is often used on more than one customer and cannot be fully sterilized.

2 Likes

We had both our daughters at 12 weeks

1 Like

Im going to let my son decide if he wants his done or not.

3 Likes

There were a lot of people who told me to get my daughters ears pierced when she was a baby, it’s a “family tradition.” I did not, I waited until she was 5 and she asked to have them done. Her body, her choice

4 Likes

I waited until asked for it. Not my body. If they want them when they are bigger…then cool. If they dont then cool. No piercings until they turned 12.

My mother let me wait until I was old enough to decide for myself
When I was 5 i decided it was the right time and I have so much respect for my mother for allowing me to make my own decisions regarding my body

1 Like

Let them decide! All 3 of my girls will have the choice for themselves. I didn’t have that choice so I want them to have that. My oldest (13) was 7yo when she asked, my 9yo hasn’t asked yet and my 7month old well you know… lmao

1 Like

Maybe a tattoo first!! Jeeeese!

4 Likes

It’s a personal decision that you have to make. People will say wait, others will say do it now. But we waited until my daughter asked for earrings. Some girls dont want their ears pierced

Careful. Could get infected

Or you can wait till she is old enough to make her own decision. Yall are ridiculous if you think getting a babys ears pierced is ok

6 Likes

Our rule is when they are old enough to ask. I have never lied to my kids and told them it would be a fast ouch like a pinch.

Edit- tattoo shops are better at getting the right placement

1 Like

Me Personally if I have a daughter wont find out till September 4th. I wont get her ears pierced until she wants them and is old enough to learn self care. And I’ll be taking her to a piercing /tattoo shop cause that gun bs is done by a person who had not been trained . I feel this way with my son as well.

3 Likes

I really wanna do it while she’s tiny and can’t bother them but then apart of me wants to wait until she asks. :disappointed: idk what to do either.

1 Like

Do what you feel is right got my daughter done at 6 months she almost 2 didn’t even cry she never one pull tug or even notice they’re there. Some people say wait some say do it’s your choice your child there no right or wrong answer . Her pediatrician did it so I was very comfortable and happy , all this talk about uneven mine are not uneven nor are my mothers my sisters cousin my grandma or any other person who I’ve know who are well into adult ages who had their ears pierced as a baby have uneven piercing . If you at a professional place not the mall etc they actually measure and when you ears grow should be growing the same way you won’t have uneven piercing

3 Likes

Wait til she has her shots atleast!

It’s a personal decision. I had my daughters done when she was 5 months. She didn’t cry because she had her bottle.

3 Likes

6 weeks by the pediatrician

2 Likes

At the end of the day it’s up to you. So instead of being rude like many other on this post I’ll just answer your question. Many people recommend getting it done as babies because babies heal faster, won’t tug or play with it, and than won’t remember it. The other half of people say wait till they are older for their choice. If you do decide to do it now, a lot of places won’t do it before 3 months old. And please take her to a professional needle piercer. Someone who is qualified and clean and actually knows what they are doing. Not a 17 year old with a gun at Claire’s. A needle piercer will also spend the extra time making sure they are in the right place and even. You can also purchase numbing cream to help with pain (for any age group)

2 Likes

My daughter-in-law got my granddaughter’s ears pierced about 6 months old. She’s a great baby, there was no reaction ,it was over before she knew what was happening.

2 Likes

We decided to do it at the pediatrician once she could sit up independently.

1 Like

I personally feel it should be someone’s own decision to get their ears pierced. What if your kid grows up And Is mad cause they don’t want holes in their ears.

2 Likes

I was 3 months when I got mine first done and took them out as a kid around 10 and redid them again at 14

wait until your child can consent to and choose a piercing. I personally think it’s extremely unethical to pierce anybody who can not consent or understand it. Also, i would never ever take my child to somewhere that uses piercing guns and as far as i know a licensed piercer wouldn’t pierce a baby because of the fact that they can’t consent. So that’s my main reason is because the only correct way to get a piercing (by a licenced piercer), would mean I have to wait until my child can consent…

5 Likes

I’m just here for the comments :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

I, now a bit older and wiser, realise sometimes its actually doing you and your child out of an experience together when they are older and can make their own choices… I have had the fun experience of not only taking my own kids at age 8 (the first one decided) so next kid waited till then too… I have also got the job of taking friends kids and letting them choose their own earrings and be in control of the whole experience even to getting the spray and looking after things themselves… I know it sounds minor… but I have 20 year olds… doesn’t by any means make me an expert but don’t rush to do things that you might enjoy together when they can have more input!

I got my daughters ears done when she was 5 months old. She didnt play with them at all until she hit 2 then she just kept taking them out. I left them out for a few months and then when I put them back in she left them alone now she’s 4 and only takes them out when she feels like having new ones in

2 Likes

After her first set of shots. Just be ready to have many back up pairs of earings cuz she might lose them throughout the years

1 Like

I waited until she was old enough to decide. So for her 5th birthday we went to a professional jeweler and had her ears periced at her request and she got to pick out her own earings. Best time ever! :relaxed:

1 Like

This just kills me when people say “what if they hate them and they have holes in their ears later?!” I don’t wear earrings but I give 0 care that my mother pierced them when I was a baby. And yes a licensed piercer will pierce them even though “baby can’t consent” :roll_eyes: just unreal

5 Likes

I waited until they were capable of both asking for it and understanding it

2 Likes

I got my 1st daughters done at 6 weeks. And my second daughter at 4 years. (I felt I missed my opportunity with my 2nd and waited until she made the decision to)
My first daughter… never had a problem whatsoever.
Second daughter… even tho she was 4 years old, she messed with them so much that 1 fell out and had to have it redone TWICE and it was HELL.
She wanted them so bad, too.

1 Like

I got my oldest daughter’s done at around 18 mons. She cried for literally 30 seconds then stopped as soon as she was given a lollipop. She then ran up to every person we passed in the mall showing them her new earrings. My second daughter I did when she was 5 months. We never had any issues with either one, healing or otherwise.

3 Likes

My opinion is to wait until the child is old enough to decide if they want it and able to clean them their selves. But in end its your child and up to you.

1 Like

I personally would wait till older then it’s there desion .

I would also say to wait until they are older for several reasons. First, if they are younger they chances of infection from tugging etc is higher. Second, they are still growing, including their ears. The holes can become lopsided with growth, meaning they’d have to get the done later in life to realign. If you do choose to, please, for your child’s sake, go somewhere APA approved, and that uses needles, not guns. Guns are terrible for piercing and can cause so many more issues with infection and rejection. Not to mention the typical lower grade metal used for piercing with guns, that a lot of people have an allergy too (ie nickel).

It also would be an awesome experience to take your daughter when she decides to have them pierced, and pick out her own jewellery to express herself.

2 Likes

My doctor said 6 months so they can fight off any infections

I have heard it is easier when young. If later they don’t want them take them out, holes will heal up. I was about 19 before I got the courage. I had 2 in each ear. I loved them. Later when I had surgeries they took them out and now my holes are closed. :frowning: I did buy a pair but haven’t tried to get them in yet…

Up to you, but there’s risks, all go if you wait until they’re old enough to care of them themselves.

My first born was six weeks and my second was 11 wks and my third born was 1 1/2 years old

I waited till my daughter was old enough to want them and made it a mommy daughter day

I’m waiting until my daughter is probably 4 when she wants to get them done, so I can get them don’t properly at a professional piercer; not done with a piercing gun. If piercers took babies I’d probably get it done younger. But I’m doing it later so she can have them done correct, safe and in a clean sterilized place.

6 months old shes 3 and we never had an issue

1 Like

Check with your pediatrician, a lot of them (nurse) do them in office. Then you have peace of mind knowing it’s clean and sterile.

Wait until she expresses a desire to have them pierced.

Where you go to get them pierced will tell you the soonest you can get them pierced, usually after first shots but different everywhere. I did them young because 1. They don’t mess with them 2. They don’t remember the pain 3. Did I mention the babies don’t mess with them? Good luck momma, the choice is yours!

1 Like