When to stop kissing kids on the lips?

When should you stop kissing your child on the lips?

I’m curious, at what age should a parent stop kissing their child on the lips? I think it’s weird when a kid is older than two, but that’s just me. I wish to know how others feel about it & if this post offends anyone, then I apologize. No rude comments please & thanks for your input :blush:

19 Likes

When the child feels it’s uncomfortable. My 9 year old still kisses me on the lips.

4 Likes

I find it weird when others find it weird… I’m very close to my child. She’s also only 17 months but i guess it just depends on the child and parent.

6 Likes

My husband and I were recently discussing this. In my family, some of us still do. Super affectionate Italian fam. His family, not so much. I guess I don’t really have an answer for you but yeah our family I guess is weird and I know of other families that still do, too. I guess if everyone is okay with it? :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I think it’s up to the parent. As long as the child is ok with it

My babe is three, nearly four. And she’ll still squeeze my cheeks and give me a big kiss on my lips. She’s my baby, she can kiss me as long as she wants. She’ll blow kisses to people she doesn’t want to kiss though, and that’s fine too.

2 Likes

Never should be kissing your baby on the lips. I understand it’s cute and everything, but please don’t kiss them on the lips

5 Likes

This is an odd question. When they are 60 and you die?? Who cares. They are your child. Don’t make it weird… I kiss my three year old on the lips and have zero intentions of stopping anytime soon she’s my baby.

4 Likes

My boys are 3 and 4 and they still give me kisses I see nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

you’re the child’s mother, why are you asking this question?? You do what you want.

2 Likes

My sons 4 and still kisses me on the lips. My daughter does at 2 as well.

2 Likes

When your child says stop otherwise keep loving your child the way you see fit no one else’s opinion matters

4 Likes

Two is justified. I never really kissed my daughter on the lips… I just find It all odd and kinda disgusting. Even good-bye kisses to her grandparents were on the cheek.

4 Likes

It’s just me and my daughter and I never want her to feel like her love isnt appreciated if she wants to kiss me on the lips she can… I have 5 sisters who are very loving aunties…theres lots of hugs and kisses but I’m the only one she kisses on the lips

2 Likes

I will kiss on my kids face even when they’re 40-50 years old because I made their faces for 9 months I have the right to kiss their faces when I tell them good bye or to say hello or time for bed. Or the simple I love you.

2 Likes

I’m 50 and I still kiss my daddy on the lips.

2 Likes

Whenever the kid is uncomfortable with it. My 11 year old son comes into my room every night and kisses me on the lips good night.

My grammy kissed me on the lips til the day she died.

It’s only weird if you make it weird.

13 Likes

When a child doesn’t want to anymore my 13 year old still gives me a peck on the lips before he leaves the house every morning for school so does my 11 year old daughter and my 6 year old twins and my 2 year old, I see nothing wrong with it it’s not sexual it’s a kiss from a child to their mother, now every one else they give kisses on forehead or cheeks it’s 100% up to them. Hell im 32 years old and still give my mom a peck on the lips

3 Likes

I do cheek kisses. They are 12 and 9. I was never a kiss on the lips mom. I’ll kiss their whole face though lol.

4 Likes

My big kids is gonna be 6 and I sense he’s getting uncomfortable especially at school. So its should be the child’s choice.

Idk…we never kissed our kids on the lips. But I guess if you do, there’s no magic age to stop. I would leave it up to the child. If they don’t want to, they’ll stop.

2 Likes

We have never kissed our daughter on the lips. Yes to the cheek, nose, forehead… I’m not a germaphobe by any means, but my husband and I are both high school teachers and are around all sorts of sickness daily! I don’t want to risk giving anything to her or my son due to arrive in December. I don’t want anyone else kissing her on the lips either. Too many horror stories about RSV, Whooping Cough, cold sores… etc.

2 Likes

My son is 39 we still just on the lips

Mine are 13 & 11. They still kiss me on the lips. I let them decide. They will always be my babies

When my sons want to I kiss both my boys on the lips and will continue until they ask me to stop

Our 6yr old son still kisses me on the lips.
Doesn’t bother him, doesn’t bother me, doesn’t bother my husband.

Our 7yr old daughter, she’s not about that, so she doesn’t do it. Doesn’t bother myself, or my husband.

There’s NOTHING wrong with it

I was a teenager for sure…always kissed my parents on the lips. I think it’s how you view it…it was never anything sexual of course…and only my parents. We didnt kiss aunts and uncles that way. Just mom and dad.

2 Likes

I’m 43 and my mom is 63 we still kiss on lips.

1 Like

I never kissed my kid on the lips. I love him and I’d take a bullet for him but I’m not kissing him on the lips

3 Likes

When they are uncomfortable with it.
Usually around 11 or 12 when they themselves will stop.

1 Like

I started teaching my 5 year old to kiss me on the cheek when he was 4…

1 Like

We still kiss on the lips when the tween does. I still kiss my mom, aunts and my bf(sister of my heart) on the lips. Not always but often. Bottom line, we do us. You do what works for you and yours.

1 Like

Toddlerhood?
Idk my 8 yr old still like to lip kiss but I try to give him the cheek when he comes it because it’s a little much for me.
My grandpa still lip kisses me. There Is like no avoiding it 🤦
I think it’s about personal comfort level. There is no right or wrong

1 Like

I haven’t kissed my boys on the lips since they were babies. Only person I kiss on the lips is my husband.

1 Like

Still kiss my 7 year olds on the lips… And my 9 year old. IDC until it makes them uncomfortable, I’m gonna do it.

2 Likes

My daughter is 18 and I still kiss her on the lips. Guess it’s how you and the child feel about it.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t kiss my teenager on the lips but I will still kiss him on his face.

1 Like

Idk what age. when they say stop or don’t. My 11 almost 12 year old daughter will still come up and kiss me on the lips as well as my 5 year old son but my 10 year old son won’t and hasn’t for year’s. It’s up them woth what they feel comfortable with.

4 Likes

To each their own, but look… I carried my 3 kids for 8 months, I birthed them. They came out of me. I kiss all my babies on the lips and will continue doing so until one of them asks me not too. It’s not supposed to be a sexual thing and if you think of it like that you’re sick and need help. I was raised like this. My mom stills kisses all her kids on the lips, same with my father. I see nothing wrong with it.

5 Likes

My daughter is 18 and my son is 15. We still kiss on the lips. Idk we always have. Only time we don’t is when someone is sick. I would say it’s up to the parent and/or the child.

2 Likes

My boys are 3, 4 &9… my daughter is 6. They all still kiss me in the lips & I will allow it til they are uncomfortable with it.

1 Like

Speaking from a mom point of view. It wasn’t about an age but for germs purpose. I didn’t want to get my babies sick. Also goes for sharing drinks and utensils. However a quick peck at any age isn’t wrong if done without malice. However kids have a way of getting older and not wanting to be kissed and touched like when little. Usually by pre-teens for sure, lol. These are people and they have the right to personal boundaries.

1 Like

Until they are uncomfortable with it…they are 20 & 27 (female). But not their daddy, hugs and cheek kisses. It’s all about making the kidos feel loved :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Honestly, it really depends on the child and what feels appropriate to them and to you as a parent. My 8 year old son still kisses me on the lips every day, but not his dad. And of course my 17 year old son only kisses my cheek. But I also taught both my sons from toddlers to not kiss anyone other than mom and dad on the lips.

1 Like

My son is 7 and I kiss him on the lips good night some nights

2 Likes

I had a neighbor that MADE his 16 year old daughter kiss him on the lips. It was disgusting and she made it blatantly obvious she did not want to. I think its whenever it makes the kid uncomfortable.

1 Like

My parents stopped this when I was quite young and I’ve noticed them stopping it with our 7yo. We don’t agree with the philosophy of it being shameful or possibly dirty/bad. As long as our boys are comfortable with it we’ll continue it within our immediate family.

Of course if one person is sick we do avoid it to help prevent the rest from getting sick on top of a repeated full house disinfect.

1 Like

My son is 5 and we still kiss on the lips just a peck when I go to work. I am teaching him now that as he gets older that Mommy needs to stop and kiss him on the cheek. He is starting to understand that. It depends on how you feel and what age you think is appropriate. Not every parent is the same but there are limits we need to set.

Whenever my daughter stops then that’s when we’ll stop. She’s almost 2 and she loves kissing us.

Agree no older than 2

I kiss my mum and dad on the lips still and I’m 25

1 Like

You should never kiss them on the lips. Way too many germs

I kiss all my grandsons on lips. It shows affection and caring

Growing up I didn’t ever get kissed on the mouth just my face. When I was about 19 my long time childhood best friend were saying bye to her dad and we were waiting in a line of people on thanksgiving giving hugs and saying bye to him and he hugged her and gave her a quick peck on the lips and when I hugged him I had a feeling he might do the same because we are all like family and he did and I only took it the way he meant it when he gave it. I am an open minded person so it didn’t feel wrong or weird. He meant it in an innocent loving way and I wouldn’t change it. Our other 2 friends who were sisters and didn’t grow up that way voiced how they did not like it and thought it was weird and gross and it made them uncomfortable no matter how he meant it. It’s just perspective I guess. My son is 3 and I’ll say “hugs and kisses” and he will sometimes kiss me on the lips and other times on the cheek. I will always ask him and see when he feels comfortable stopping on the lips and just kiss my cheek from that point on and I think that’s fair.

When my kids don’t want to anymore. My son hasn’t kissed me on the lips for 3years, he is now 8. My daughter still kisses me on the lips and she is 7

Honestly I guess it depends on you nd your child. Me and my child NEVER kiss on the lips I always give cheek kisses. And now my son 4 does the same he always gives me cheek kisses. Now my daughter is aswell nd shes 2. Everyone in our family knows we dont do cheek kisses. My son will tell them.

I have 3 children, the oldest is 10, and I have never one time kissed them on the lips.

I’ve never kissed my child on the lips. Too many germs.

Ive always kissed my kids on the lips. They dont like me doing it now because they are “big boys” now lol :smirk: 7,9, and 11…but there’s nothing wrong with pop kisses between family. Remember, back in the day strangers would kiss your lips in greeting and it wasnt weird. I know times have changed, but its only weird because weve been told it is. Idk i feel like, i carried my baby i birthed him with pain and fed him from my breast and if someone thinks a pop kiss is wrong then theres something wrong with the way we think…

My daughter still kisses me one the lips (only me) and shes 10.

I’ve neve never kissed my kids on the mouth we gave noseies no better not kiss my kids on the mouth

54 and kiss my momma on the lips

1 Like

All my kids kiss me on the lips , i don’t see the issue! All my kids apart from 1 are all over 10 .

I still kiss my 3 year old on the lips. I feel like when the child decides he/she doesn’t want your kisses anymore. Also, no offense, but if it isn’t your kid, does it really matter?

Never. I think its gross

Tom Brady says you’re never too old😂

1 Like

When the child chooses not too. My oldest daughter was 6 but my son 8 still does on occasions and my youngest daughter about to turn 7 does all the time. As long as it’s not forced I don’t see an issue.

1 Like

I think it’s weird all you people think it’s gross. My sons 11 my daughter is 9 and I still kiss them both on the lips. I don’t kiss my mom on the lips anymore not sure when it stops I guess when they don’t want to anymore but it’s never weird I love them more than anything in the world

5 Likes

I kiss all my children in the lips, ages 14, 12 and 3, always have and always will. But that’s how I was raised. So for me it’s not weird, for it’s weird when parents don’t miss on the lips :blush: each to their own :heart::orange_heart::green_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart:

My oldest is 13 and we still kiss on the lips! I kissed my grammy on the lips till the day she passed.

1 Like

I’ve never kissed my kids on the lips

Im 23 and still kiss both of my parents on the lips. Always have and always will.

I kiss my kids on the lips. It’s only weird if you make it weird…

1 Like

I would say that comes down to each family’s personal preference. I’ve never kissed my kids on the lips, always the cheek, forehead, chin, nose… but that doesn’t mean I’m going to judge the next person for the way they do it!

21 and I still kiss my momma on the lips and it’ll never change!

To each his own. It is beautiful when your children kiss you on the lips,but if you don’t want them to it’s up to you. I’m 71 and if my kids a 2nd grandkids give a a smooch on the lips it’s wonderful.

I was in my forty’s kissed my mom all 18 of her kids did in when we visited and when we left it’s about love

If my child asks for a kiss on the lips, I’m gonna give them a kiss. They are your children, theres nothing wierd about a mom kissing their child.

When the kid is uncomfortable with it!! I have 3, one of mine likes forehead and cheek kisses, my middle likes on the lips kisses and my youngest doesn’t like kisses at all, so we do lots of extra hugs and snuggles.

The only two who can decide this are the parents and child involved. Period.

2 Likes

It’s personal preference. My son is 4 and I still do it. Only time I don’t is when he or I is sick, which is common sense but I will still smother him with kisses on his cheek sick or not. I kiss my mother on the lips whenever I see her and we both grown women. It isn’t weird because we don’t make it weird. I know my son will eventually want to stop so whenever he tells me to stop, that will be be the day but I will always show my son affection with kisses on his forehead and cheeks till the day I die.

You shouldnt sexualize children you nasty

1 Like

My boys are 9 and 3, I still kiss both of them on the lips… when it becomes uncomfortable for them I will stop. I’ve never forced kisses or any type of affection on them, I want them to know they are in control of their own body, and to respect others’ bodies.

I’m 55 I still kiss my mom my dad and my son who is 29 on the lips. I was brought up that way and I choose to continue. It not weird unless someone is uncomfortable which they should then speak up. It is a sign of I love you in our family when we say goodbye

1 Like

My daughter is 12 and I still do it. She didn’t want it last year so much but she has initiated it again this year, so I will take it.

I don’t kiss my daughter on lips I never have i just don’t think it’s appropriate ( my personal opinion) but no judgement to those who do! :slight_smile:

Until my child no longer wants to. Forcing someone to kiss you when they dont want to is weird.

I think it is up to the kid. My six year old still kisses me on the lips. Says it’s “true loves kiss” but she is still so magical and believes in mermaids and unicorns and true loves kiss. My 11 year probably stopped within the last year now is the cheek. Every once in awhile she will kiss me on the lips but I just let them stop and don’t make a big deal about it. Their body, their lips etc. both girls so we go with what they want. I think my six year old still kisses my husband on the lips but probably not as much as me…bc again it’s true loves kiss :rofl:. But relatives and friends etc has always been on the cheek. Again their comfort level not any one else’s

I’m 39 and still kiss my kids (10, 8 and 9 months) on the lips. I still kiss my parents/grandparents on the lips too.

My oldest is 5 and he still kisses me on the lips.

I never kissed my kids on the lips. It’s just awkward to me.

2 Likes

Idk, each to their own, my daughter is 2 and still does. When she gets older and says no to it then that is when we stop to show her she is in control of her body. My parents didn’t kiss or hug me ever, and I mean NEVER so I love to give her hugs and kisses to let her know she is loved.

I know lots of parents who kiss their kids on the mouth(don’t usually see any over 10, probably because of the “embarrassment” factor though) but I’ve never kissed my daughter on the mouth on purpose and I don’t kiss any of my nephew’s and niece’s on the mouth either. I do side/cheek kisses with all the kids close to me not because of sexualizing it or anything like that but because of germs. I have a low immune system and can’t risk any type of germ taking over that the kids don’t even know about yet, I won’t even eat any food that they’ve touched or left because of it​:joy::joy:

My sons 5 and still kisses us on the lips. I think they eventually will let uk when they arent comfortable w it anymore.

I taught my daughter cheek kisses only to avoid people saying gross and awful things. My son will be taught the same.

I kiss my babies anywhere all of the time.Even my 18 yr old💕

My children are ages 36, 40, and 44 and we still kiss on the lips. Maybe not all the time, and of course not in a passionate way, but on the lips nevertheless.

I personally don’t kiss my son on lips, usually either his cheeks or his head. My fiancé however still kisses his mother on the lips and I think it’s weird

1 Like

Let’s remember: many cultures kiss. My daughters 6 and I still kiss her on the lips unless one of us is sick. Also, my grandpa kisses me on the lips still and he’s pushing 80. Many Europeans kiss both or one cheek. There are so many differences we can’t be judge mental

2 Likes

As long as it makes all parties happy. It’s not hard. If you feel weird, go in for a cheek kiss. If your baby is saddened and you’re still hesitating, then you kiss that baby on the lips until you warm your cold dead heart! lol
Dont overthink it. You’ll figure it out as long as you don’t let others make that call for you. It’s not for them to decide.

I kinda just stopped with my 13 and 14 year old daughters this last year. But their hygiene grosses me out so bad now I can barely hug them :joy::woman_facepalming: