When to switch to a toddler bed?

When did you all switch your babies to a toddler bed? My son can sleep in his crib but most of the time he sleeps in my bed with me. (Single mom, queen size bed, started cosleeping at 12months which i know is bad but it helps us both sleep) But now I attempt to put him in his crib to nap and he wakes up screaming. It’s like he sees the bars and knows where he is. He walks perfectly too. He is 15months old. Should I switch him to a toddler bed? NO BASHING PLEASE. Thanks Moms. :blush:

4 Likes

I don’t see why it would be an issue

1 Like

I had all my kids in big kid beds by 16months

1 Like

15 months for both of my kids. They loved them. Now they are 3 and 5 and have their own twin bed sets.

1 Like

I would start it laying on the floor (or lower to the floor) incase he rolls or trys to get down on his own. If you feel he will do well it is all up to you.
My boys were older but loved their cribs.

We went straight from a crib to a twin size bed. My son did a lot better and we didn’t stress about him falling off.

2 Likes

I don’t see the issue. I started co-sleeping when my son was 2 months old. He was a premie and had extreamly bad reflux so I was terrified he would choke in his sleep and I wouldn’t even realize it sense he was in his crib alone so that’s why I started having him sleep with me. He is now turning 3 years old and still sleeps with me although i have put him to sleep by himself before and he has no issue with it, and he also sleeps in daycare perfectly fine. I think I am the one that needs him more than he needs me lol.

2 Likes

My first I didn’t get him a toddler bed until he was 2. We moved a lot so the pack and play was easy for transport. My second I actually just got him his bed at 16 months.

My son will be 3 in may and we are only just about to switch him. My niece however was switched at 10 months because she hated her crib
It depends on the kid

1 Like

My friend is transitioning her daughter at 1.5. I didn’t transition my step son or my niece until 2. I think it is different for every kid.

1 Like

Its nothing wrong with co sleeping. It’s a natural thing for many. Change him to a toddler bed or maybe even a full sized bed with rails.

3 Likes

My kids were all 12-15 months when they transitioned to a toddler bed.

1 Like

I moved my kid to a twin bed at 2 years.

1 Like

I believe in co-sleeping. There isn’t a specific time and i truly believe its really based on you and your child’s comfort. Personally I think by age 3 they should be in thier own toddler/twin bed. But anytime before that… I don’t send my babies away if they want to sleep in my bed.

I’ve transitioned my kids one by one from my bed… to a toddler around age 2-3 with a bed next to mine… and then by 4-5 a twin bed in their own room.

2 Likes

Just cover outlets and anchor furniture. And maybe a child proof handle for the door so they can let themselves out to wonder

1 Like

my 7 yr old was put in a toddler bat at 15mths old and my 6 yr old went to toddler bed when my 7 yr old went to a big girl bed about 2 yrs old.and my 6 yr old went to a big girl bed about 5yrs she was small enough to stay in the toddler bed till then

1 Like

I’d try it now!! Let him pick out fun comforter and sheets for his big boy bed…

1 Like

I’m going to switch my 2 year old in the next couple of months. As soon as my mom leaves the end of April we are going to start getting that room ready for her and she’s going straight to a twin size. She’s fine in her crib now but we are transitioning here to prepare for a new baby

1 Like

I put my 3 kids into toddler beds as soon as they learned how to climb out of the crib. Before 1 year for all 3.
Most nights the 3 year old still ends up in our bed, but he always starts the night in his double bed in his room. He usually comes in around 3am.

1 Like

Both of mine went into toddler beds at 15 months old. My 2 year old still climbs into bed with me several nights a week though.

1 Like

My oldest was 2 and my youngest was 10 months.

1 Like

I found it easiest to get a twin bed and put rails on that. I switched both of my boys into twin beds around 12 months.

1 Like

My kids were both in one before they turned 1. My son was 11 months and my daughter was 9 months. She hated the bars and once I put her in the toddler bed she never fought bedtime again.

1 Like