Who is in the right?

Grow up and get a job

2 Likes

YTA…you broke the agreement
… If it was his year to hand over a grand and he didn’t you would be raising hell.

6 Likes

Am I the only one that believes my kids is money is their kids money I’m not dividing shit I put that money up for when they need cloths or want to go to chuckle cheese or for a school activity idk maybe I’m weird

It seems you broke the agreement cus ur broke and it’s his year to have the money … if the shoe was on the other door would you be ok with him refusing to give it to u!

4 Likes

You should have talked to him before it was tax time instead of just going back on your agreement. You are in the wrong. If thw shoe was on the other foot, you would be pissed off. Just an FYI, it doesnt matter what he spends his money on just like he shouldnt be concerned what you spend yours on.

1 Like

Not his fault you’re broke and don’t know how to keep a job grow the fuck up I hope he gets you back to give you a taste of your own medicine honestly.

Yes, YOU ARE THE BAD GUY! You broke an agreement. Especially since it was your year. I bet you if it was his year, you wouldn’t have broke the agreement. Scammer!

2 Likes

Ok so what would you do if he did that to you last year…. I’m sorry not cool… it’s an agreement…Don’t get to change it because you need it… smh

1 Like

If this is the third year of the agreement then you guys are even at one each, the 1000 bucks is not the IRS’s issue but who has primary custody, who’s claiming the dependents, and who’s getting the earned income credit for the kids they will pay attention to

4 Likes

But I bet next year you’ll be wanting the deal back up huh? You made the agreement and need to stick to it…and he’s helping you fileas well and during that you decide to change it? Seems like a pretty rude decision to me…

If the kids reside with you and you take care of them they are yours to claim and it’s your money. However that agreement never should of been made if he don’t get the kids and take care of them a full year. He is getting a boat load of free money and it’s bull.

2 Likes

Each of you claim one child.

3 Likes

Man tax season makes baby mamas crazy lol.

6 Likes

If you dont work how are you filing taxes and claiming the children?

5 Likes

U broke the agreement and ur wrong, would u be mad if he did this to you ? Yes … ur wrong 100 %

4 Likes

Well just like him… I’m always broke and I have a job…umm… it’s paying bills

1 Like

You’re in the wrong bc you made an agreement. If he did this to you, you’d have a problem as well. So don’t make him look bad and constantly saying he is always broke.

11 Likes

Call your local tax office most of the people on here are mean and don’t know what they are talking about

2 Likes

Wouldn’t you be pissed off he decided to not give you anything the year he claimed?

3 Likes

I did the same thing with my ex.How would you feel if it was his turn to claim and as you said you needed the money and he said NOPE no more money for you when I’m claiming.You would be so angry as well.If you change your mind this year and say next year he claims the kids and your still in a financial rut would you want that money from him to help you?It doesn’t matter what he wants it for fact is you both agreed on this and you all of a sudden back out right at tax time and then you still have him do your taxes.He has every right to be upset and honestly he’s a good guy for still doing your taxes because most people wouldn’t have done it anyway…Your breaking the trust you guys had and risking your friend ship and Co parenting over 1000 bucks.IS IT WORTH IT?

3 Likes

Dang how shady…

Don’t get mad next year when he does the same to you.

And just get a dang job…

5 Likes

If you had an agreement I would keep the agreement

5 Likes

2 children…wouldn’t it be reasonable to each claim a kid?

9 Likes

Y’all have an agreement. I’d be upset too. You just up and changed that. You’d be mad too. It’s not his issue you don’t have a job. You need to get one.

6 Likes

Let him take you to court. It will go on paper who has custody and whomever had the children more will be able to file.

Him asking for custody with no job and a place of his own won’t fly.

Make him work for it that $1,000. He needs to be responsible.

2 Likes

Was it a verbal agreement or an agreement written down on paper and signed by both of you?

Wow!! That’s awful! You had an agreement. You can’t just change it when it doesn’t benefit you completely.
If he did this to you I bet you’d be pissed!

Its not his fault that you don’t have a job. Its also not your place to decided what he should spend his money on or determine if he is “deserving” of money based on what he buys. Absolute bullshit.

If they live with you, you don’t have to do anything esp if he is not taking care of the kids(idk)…you should claim your kids every year

1 Like

Whoever has the children should claim them however if he has them a total of 6 months and you have them 6 months it is only fair to split yhe taxes. Maybe get a job… 1000 is really not that much

3 Likes

Yes you’re in the wrong. You’re only as good as your word and your word is shit

You had an agreement.

4 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t4:Y’all had an agreement, how would you feel if he changed the terms at the last minute? It’s not his fault that you don’t have a job. :woman_shrugging:t4: It’s also NOT your business what he spends his $1000 on. Since y’all have 2 kids, why don’t you each claim a child and just keep whatever y’all get.

10 Likes

Uhm, but you both made an agreement. If it’s something you don’t want to do, start next year on his year. To also change it when it’s happening rather than after tax season last year or whatever is :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head: how would you feel if he pulled this with you?

4 Likes

I don’t think what you are doing is fair. You have an agreement whether it’s written or verbal. You’re literally going to throw away you’re good friendship and a healthy co-parenting relationship for nothing. How would you feel the roles were reversed. You came over just to be used to file someone’s taxes to find out you were not only being used but you were also getting what was agreed upon. That’s shady as hell and really rude. Get a job!

You changed up bro…I’d be pissed

1 Like

Take a kid each, call it even.

1 Like

I mean you could get a job.

But really whoever has main custody should be claiming the kids. Unless there’s some sort of agreement. Which there was… and you were kind of shady about just switching up on him. So yeah, I’d be pretty pissed if I was him. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Honestly… you made an agreement….

Down payment for what? It sounds like he’s the responsible one. He’s the one with the job.

2 Likes

You had an agreement. If you wanted to change the agreement then you should have talked to him about it way before filing taxes

1 Like

Omg. What if this was the year he gave you $1000 and he said nah… nope not happening? I swear I don’t understand people.

2 Likes

You had an agreement. May be easier in the future for each of you to claim one kid. He could report you but the fact he obviously did have knowledge should be easy to prove if you save messages and what not you wouldn’t get in trouble per say but you had the agreement with him for 1000 and doesn’t matter what he spends it on after that was agreed upon

1 Like

Keep the agreement. My sons ex wife just hurried up and filed before him, even tho he had primary custody and the kids lived with him.oh and she never gave him a cent for child support. that and besides the fact that she refused to work when covid hit.

You had the agreement with him. And just so conveniently changed it up on the year it was your turn to give him the $$. He should be pissed. And if the shoe was on the other foot and he did that to you, you’d be spitting fire, too. So my suggestion would be go to court. Hash out the custody and then in legal writing say who gets to claim the children. In my opinion, if he is seeing his children, paying child support, helping to raise them, too then he should be able to claim one and you claim the other.

This is the second post I have seen about who should be claiming taxes scenario… I just don’t get the greedyiness some people have. Be thankful you get a tax return for your children … some people do not!

3 Likes

When did you give him the notice? Right around tax season? It matters

1 Like

Definitely. You had an agreement and it’s been fine for years and all a sudden you don’t want to? What would you do if it was him that didn’t want to? Regardless of what your employment status is you don’t go against agreements . What you gonna do next year when he says “nah ima keep it” you gonna be mad and cause a scene . Literally everyone is hiring

2 Likes

You said yall had a “great friendship”…are you really willing to risk that over $1,000 agreement that you made? What is later this year you need him for something? If this was flipped would you be upset?
Give what you agreed

4 Likes

I’m kind of surprised by most people’s reactions. I can understand his anger, but his reaction is extreme.

Others are assuming that you’re a stay-at-home mom. I’m assuming that you’re between jobs, otherwise you wouldn’t have income to claim on your taxes.

I agree that you should have discussed any changes ahead of time, but if you’re between jobs your ex should be more understanding. I suspect that something else is going on.

Maybe you need all child support agreements in writing to avoid future conflicts.

3 Likes

I dont see why you guys don’t split the kids so both of you get the tax break

4 Likes

My ex did his taxes single and claimed our daughter without my knowledge before we were divorced. Let him “report” you. Nothing will come of it.

1 Like

You made the agreement now you have to honor it

5 Likes

Yeah, you’re the bad guy

1 Like

A deals a deal and how would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot? You’d be pissed off as well!!!

5 Likes

Don’t go back on your agreement!

I think most of these questions could simply be answered by “Would you want someone to do that to you?”

4 Likes

Yes, you are the bad guy. It’s not his fault you are choosing not to work. He takes care of the kids too and you had an agreement.

3 Likes

You’d be p*ssed if he did that to you now wouldn’t you.

1 Like

Don’t retract your agreement…especially since it sounds like he didn’t have much notice…how either one of you spend your $1000 every other year isn’t the others business anyway

You need to stick to the agreement. If you weren’t working for a while and intended on changing things, you had time to file for a modification based on the change in “material circumstance.”

Shouldnt the money be used to take care of ur kids :joy:

2 Likes

You both made a deal and came to a agreement you should honor the terms of your agreement. If you want something different then you should go back to the child support office and change the terms of your agreement.

How are you filing taxes without a job??? Just claiming the kid??

1 Like

Are you married? Does he pay child support?
According to tax laws whoever the children spend 51% or more of the year with is the person that has legal rights to claim those children.
If you want to know the legality of it call an attorney or the irs.
If there’s no court order on this then nothing is set for in stone.

5 Likes

Yep you are. It’s not any of your business how he spends his 1000, you can’t just wanna change it because it’s not your turn.

5 Likes

It really doesn’t matter what he spends the money on. You’d be upset too if he, last minute, went back on an agreement you both made. Give that man the money. I’m sure you’ll flip if he doesn’t give it to you next year.

9 Likes

I would honor the deal since you waited till the last minute to do it then next year don’t do it! But I bet you won’t do that cause then he got more money than you did from the deal??? You are the bad guy cause you’re being selfish! But legally you do not need him to allow you to file if they live primarily within your household

3 Likes

You’re both wrong.
You shouldn’t have backed out of the deal, (though I don’t understand why it was done in the first place.) And he shouldn’t have pushed them through even though you said you didn’t want to do it.
And how he spends the money is absolutely not your business.

5 Likes

Who’s the agreement with, ur husband or IRS? Do you have a legal binding document about the agreement? AND why are y’all paying a thousand every other month? If both of y’all provide at least half of the year for the child/children then both can claim!!

Gonna suck next year when he just “doesn’t wanna give you $1,000” cause you’ll spend it on things he thinks is dumb.

Get a lawyer best thing to do

Yea I mean you backing out is kind of chicken shit on your part, it’s not his fault you don’t have a job.

You’re in the wrong. You had an agreement. Stick to it. What kind of bs is this karen?

7 Likes

If it was the other way around, you would be livid. He has every right to be mad. You made it sound like you’ve done it for years and years lol. You will be the reason. Dont be gross, give him the money.

4 Likes

Is the children live with you, he has nothing to say. If you provide more than 50% of their housing and everyday needs you are the only one that can claim them

5 Likes

That’s really selfish of him. You aren’t backing out to hurt him, and that’s what he’s acting like.

8 Likes

Your word is all u got… You would be pissed it he kept your part…

2 Likes

Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute… no matter what the circumstances, if it was his turn to claim them, would you be happy if he just up and decided this year he didn’t want to give you 1000, even though just the year before you’d given him 1000 when you claimed? No, you wouldn’t. So why do you think it’s okay for ANY reason to break the deal this year?? It’s not. He gave you 1000 last year, what makes you think it’s okay for you to not do the same back? Pretty shitty. You should know that you’re wrong.

It’s pretty selfish to agree to some thing and get your part last year but expect not to give you part this… just saying. If the shoe was on the other foot, you would not be happy. Selfish… sad

3 Likes

Bi R500 bi bi video bi R500

You’re in the wrong. My bf and I split the tax return we get for having our baby. And that’s how it’ll always be for us.

2 Likes

If it’s not a legal binding agreement then I don’t think he has anything to stand on. And he’s not going to just be able to take your child from you without proof you’re unfit. Although it’s not your business what he spends his money on. Though you shouldn’t be going back on the deal last min. You should give a heads up like say next year you won’t be doing the deal. Also, I hope he’s financially supporting the children as you didn’t clarify if he pays any child support. In my opinion if he hasn’t been paying child support he shouldn’t be entitled to any money. My thoughts, you shouldn’t go back on the deal bc it’s last min. But he needs to be supporting your children and I really hope he is. If he isn’t he needs to be paying child support and perhaps you need to file for child support if you’re needing money like that.

3 Likes

Y’all agreed, I understand being in a tough spot, you should have asked instead of thinking you’re entitled to it.

2 Likes

Stick to the agreement and get a job while you are at it!

4 Likes

Stick to the agreement. Literally every place is hiring. Like because you don’t have a job that isn’t his issue nor your issue if he wants to spend the money as he pleases. You came on here to validate you’re in the right. But this is messed up.

3 Likes

That’s not much info here. Does he pay child support?
Has any agreement gone through the court system? Do the children have his last name?

I bet if it was the other way around , you’d be flipping out he didn’t give you the money. You’re selfish and need to grow up

8 Likes

“I don’t have a job so I deserve more money” is a take I didn’t expect to see today.

7 Likes

You’re wrong. Get a job.

5 Likes

IF you have custody with no Court Decision on Custody or a Specific Tax Declaration they are yours to claim, If He double claims them He has a Problem, If he claims them without Custody He has a problem, The IRS has a process for that handcuffs can be involved.

2 Likes

This was an agreement you had… Funny you back out when YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PAY HIM… what if he did this last year to you?
I’m sure would you have been acting the same way.

9 Likes

We need more info but you are wrong…maybe he was counting on that money. Did you tell him months before tax season or did you tell him out of nowhere before doing taxes?? You might need the money but he might too, you guys had an agreement and it’s not your concern what he spends it on. There are tons of jobs, it’s not his fault you don’t have a job, you should’ve never come to that agreement if you wasn’t going to follow it, he paid you last year and now that is your turn to give him money you back out… selfish ,selfish.

4 Likes

So you pull out on our side of the bargain on your year to give up the grand? Yeah yta

3 Likes

If finances are an issue now, it’ll get worse. Do things legally- get everything ironed out and child support set in place. Also, if you provide more than 50% of support for them, you’re entitled to get the refund. However…don’t go just on that. People get ruthless when money is involved. Get an attorney

3 Likes

Tell him to report you. Nothing will happen

What does the court order say? Verbal agreements don’t hold up in court. You should always follow the court order, if you don’t it tends to bite you in the ass I learned that from personal experience. If the court order says you claim the kids then he doesn’t have a leg to stand on if the court order says you take turns and it’s your turn he doesn’t have a leg to stand on. If there’s no court order in place I suggest you go get one that way there’s no question going forward.

Um, you need to grow up, stick to your end of the deal. A verbal agreement is still an agreement. And while you’re at it get a job. Even with a down payment how do you plan on keeping whatever it is you’re trying to buy without the means to keep up the payment? If I was him and since you obviously can’t afford to take care of the kids, I’d be going to court for custody.

15 Likes

Yes, you’re the bad guy. This is why females are seen as petty most often. They agree on rules but when they want to they think they are actually above those rules and can change them up with a gavel in their hand. It’s none of your business where his money goes when you’re not together. You say he’s irresponsible but that could EASILY just be you trying to justify your wrong actions.

5 Likes

If you two agree yes it should be every other year ----- I would be upset too , YOU AGREED , be adults and give him the 1000 because next will come and he might keep all of his taxes then what You will be upset too

FIRST OF ALL PEOPLE ATTACKING: ASK QUESTIONS. To person who wrote the question :This isn’t enough information, dontoublive together? Does he pay child support? need this agreement? Child tax returns are for children period, it goes tonthe person who the kids live with period. It’s for the KIDS period. I’m sorry you’re going through a hard time without a job sweetie, life sucks sometimes. You are in charge of YOU only, and you have a responsibility to make sure your babies are OK in all aspects. Don’t break agreements though. Do give heads up. but if your babies need it they come first

2 Likes

Legally speaking of the child lives with you only you can claim him. So the agreement is technically illegal although the IRS just overlooks it.

Second the money is not yours or his. It’s money the government gives the parent to help provide basics for the child. The child tax credit & amount you’d get for dependents should be put into an account for it to be spent on bettering the child’s life. If that’s to help get a better home, furniture, vacation, get ahead on bills, buy the children things you otherwise couldn’t etc. He’s being selfish & using your child if he thinks the money from claiming the child is just to spend on himself.

Third go get custody established. Make him pay you child support.