Who should be the first to meet new baby: Grandparents or big brother?

It really depends on the hospital i deliverd at 2 different hospitals with my kids with my secound his sister couldnt see him till i went home then with my last baby grandparents wear the only ones abule to see him and sister and brother the day he went home

My dad and step mom were in the room when my son was born so naturally they met him first. My daughter was at home sleeping with her great grandparents (dads parents) and they brought her to come meet brother for the first time. It was honestly the best birth. I didn’t over think it didn’t care about the order. Just appreciated the love and support that I had in the room.

1 Like

Dont overthink it just let what happens happen. You can have plans made and everything go out the window lol u could end up giving birth on your in laws front room floor (I mean it’s unlikely but u could) it really doesnt matter who sees bubba first as long as people see him/her and they are loved xx

1 Like

Grandparents bring big brother. Then give you some time before they come and say hi

My older son stayed in the room with me. So did the grandparents though so really everyone met him at the same time.

The kids then grandparents( but technically) both would meet first because your kid can’t go in by themselves

I think you got bigger issues than which one meets first. Y’all got some stuff to work on before that baby gets here if this happened already!

3 Likes

I am stuck on the half brother part. I would discuss with him about that more. Kids don’t understand half at that age. My opinion I dont think it matters who meets the baby first. It might not be so overwhelming for your oldest if others go first and he just has the 3 of you when he gets there.

3 Likes

That half comment was a low blow

2 Likes

Brother, all day long for me!
When I had my daughter my two sons and my grandparents (my mum is dead my dad is a wanker) were the first too meet her before any one else. I didn’t announce her birth to anyone or show pictures or details until they had seen her first. X

I didn’t have my son meet his little brother until we were home and settled in. It was about 3-4 days, then my mom brought him over (she was keeping him for us).

The big issue here is the half brother comment and I hope you have sat down together and talked that out. Not acceptable in any way shape or form.

I honestly can’t remember who came to visit first at the hospital but I do remember my ex bringing in our eldest to meet her baby sister. It was just the 4 of us. It was a special moment and it is something I will never forget. They are now 15 and 20 and still get along well.

1 Like

I’d say all at the same time

1 Like

Who even uses the term half these days my daughter came in the following day to meet her brothers she has a different father, my mother was in the delivery room so she seen the boys first , my daughter is full sister , half is not used in my home u should never refer a sibling to be half , if your partner used the term half , already he is treating your son different due to him not being his I definitely will be pulling that in line

1 Like

I’m sorry to say this sweetie but this is really petty you’re turning a beautiful experience into a fight just let things happen the way they happen

1 Like

Chances are, his parents will be at the hospital waiting, your child will not until later. If you have a 3 year old, they aren’t going to be patient waiting for mommy to have a baby and with a babysitter or grandparent. Everyone wants to see the baby, I would let the grandparents go first if they were there because they are excited too. I had a csection with my 2nd, and I didn’t want him there until the 2nd day. Once he got there, I made everyone except us leave so he could meet him and have his moment. Whatever you decide, remember that his wishes are important too if you’re planning on staying in a relationship with him. Imagine if someone told you that your parents had to wait until afterward. It probably wouldn’t go over well and you would get defensive as well.

1 Like

I dont like the half brother comment😡

2 Likes

Really? How shitty of him to say that and how could you even let him talk you out of your son seeing the baby first? That wouldn’t even be a option for me that’s such a special moment grandparents will get to have a turn my child will always be put first though

Big sibling should. They will grow up together. They will spend a lot of time together. They will at some point live and play together. You’re going to go thru delivery. You’ve carried the child for the pregnancy. You’re giving birth. It’s what you want in the end anyway. Bf may be upset about it but when I had my youngest, the only people I wanted around were my mother my niece(she’s older and I’m adopted) and my oldest. If anybody including the rest of my family or any friends wanted to be there the day I had my youngest or wanted to be “first”, I’d tell them not to show up at all. Plus if bf gets upset over who’s first, remind him that technically the hospital staff see the baby first before you even get to. There’s no reason to make it a “race” to see baby before anyone else. That’s selfish and childish

HaLf BrOtHeR :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: That irks my nerves. But that’s a whole separate issue.
I agree with having grandparents bring in older brother, but if that’s not an option, I think I would want big brother there first.

1 Like

The fact is that it should not be said to a small child .He could feel as if she is not really his sister. Why did he have to add half any way?

I would say big brother first cause that’s who is always gonna be there day and night. Teach the baby things, once the baby gets older and is gonna be your little helper at home. Then everyone else can meet the new baby.

Definitely brother 1st

Just let the grandparents bring him so it can happen all at once and no one feels a type of way, everyone wins. Unless there is a reason they can’t or won’t bring him in with them then thats a whole other issue along with him giving the tern half brother to your older son… He knew you had a kid when yall got together and had a baby… He shouldn’t be doing that. Once he is old enough to know better he is going to hate that term probably as much as I do. I have no “whole” siblings only “half” and makes no difference to me. I actually found out that one isn’t blood at all. Still my sibling.

Have the grandparents bring the big brother.thats what my daughter did

2 Likes

First I’d say we don’t use half or any other words but brother or sibling in this house, second mom essentially decides who is in that room and who’s allowed to visit so take a step Back and dont piss of the women who will be doing all the work to bring this child into the world and probably 98%
after birth.
Siblings should absolutely come before other extended family.

8 Likes

Big brother then grandparents and we don’t consider half anything he is a brother no matter what

1 Like

Why not at same time

1 Like

My mom, sister, dads parents and my great grandma all met my kids before siblings. I won’t let my kids in a hospital if they are not sick, I don’t want them getting sick.

Im not sure why it needs to be a “first” thing…Why is it not a “family” thing? Why would Grandparents & Brother not meet the new baby together, as a unit? It literally takes a village to raise children, & what better place to have your village than at the birth of a new member!

I guess what I’m saying is let the new baby be the bridge to the obvious divide within your family…

2 Likes

I am due in January, I want big brother to be the first to visit the baby, this should be a no brainer sorry :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Grandparents will cherish the memory. The 4 year old won’t care if he met him first or last for that matter!
What a dumb argument to have :woman_facepalming:t2: sheesh

1 Like

Give big brother time and let him adjust with just his parents it’s a special time with kids and parents. Then grandparents, there’s no reason they even need to be at hospital waiting. Call them after you have baby after all your the one giving birth it’s your call.

2 Likes

Big brother first, then grandparents, then other family

1 Like

Not digging the ‘half brother’ comment…they are gonna be siblings period! What a jerk thing to say!

6 Likes

The only reason I think it matters at all is you and fiance need to make sure you’re on the same page with regards to family structure. Him calling your son “half brother” shows a disrespect for your son and immediately isolates him from the new baby and that’s concerning to me. You also need to make sure the in-laws aren’t going to frequently overstep boundaries. Are they going to feel they have the right to overrule everyone? Are they going to treat the boys differently. The actual order of meeting doesn’t matter but the red flags definitely do :grimacing:

3 Likes

He’s excited to show off his baby to the ones that have loved him his whole life.
The half/brother part was him being a dink. Tell him to never say that again.

The upset on both parts is hormones, immaturity, excitement, thoughtlessness- both of yas

Yous will be ok.

Id jab him in the jaw for saying half brother. My older brothers have a different dad and if anyone said they were my half brothers Id instantly get in my feelings. Dont let him start with that because I know personally growing up it was a huge insecurity.
Sorry I dont have any more advice, I think you should just let things flow how they will. At the end of the day its such a trivial thing who gets to meet baby first, you and your son get to take bubs home and get snuggles 24/7 :blush::revolving_hearts:

Big brother first and tell them you want to have a day to rest and bond with your baby and little family I know the last thing I wanted was people lining up outside my door when I had my kids, and if they can’t respect that and sound like they will make it difficult let the hospital staff know, they won’t let anyone in you don’t want. I have 3 siblings only the younger 2 have the same dad but there is no half anywhere we are sister’s and brother we ride or die no matter what

My mom was in the room when my 2nd was born but my daughter was in the room minutes after she was born.
I believe sibling should meet before anyone.
My daughter was also the 3 person to hold my 2nd child it went me dad than her.

Why don’t you ask his parents to watch your son and that way it’s a win win and they can meet baby at the same time :wink:

5 Likes

How about grandparents bring in big brother and they can all meet together! Thats how we did it when my son was born a few months ago.

1 Like

Why does it matter who gets to see the baby first? The baby doesn’t care.

1 Like

As long as everyone sees the baby does it really matter? My son was 11 and cut his brothers umbilical cord while the father stood in awwww of the birth, so everyone is different! Then again I had everyone in my delivery room too! And I mean everyone! lol

I won’t let anyone meet my son when hes here before his big sister does. I want them to have time together before anyone else meets him

I did siblings first! Then grandparents and aunts came in together.

Everyone is making a big deal over this without grandparents there would be no baby

1 Like

Big brother. Hands down. They’ll already be feeling a little less important. So it’s better for them to be made a priority with their new sibling right away

And making a point to say “half brother” is a red flag to me. Like he’s already planning on treating HIS child differently or better

6 Likes

Siblings first! Just my personal opinion

I asked for 1 hour of alone time for sissy and daddy to get some good bonding time. My mom and his mom were both waiting.

Brother/NOT half brother! Brother should meet the baby 1st! Who will have your son while you have this baby?

1 Like

I didn’t let anyone come to the hospital to meet my second baby. Just my husband and myself and our oldest daughter who was 4 at the time. We spent that couple days (had a c section) bonding as a family. That how I feel it should be. But IMO I don’t think anyone should go to hospital besides mom, dad, siblings. To many outside germs from others. And everyone wants to kiss on your baby. Just scares me. But I do daycare so I focus ALOT in germs. I’m sure I am a little OCD. But 100% brother before grandparents.

1 Like

That’s always my “rule” siblings first grandparents then everyone else. And NOONE is to post pictures before I do and absolutely no pictures are taken until I post said pictures so there are no "accidents "

2 Likes

Tell him call my son Half brother again and you’ll be half single…tf? Rude

12 Likes

Oh my gosh. I’ve not even thought about this. Lol
I don’t think it’ll be a huge deal one way or another though.
I’m sure, overall, the baby brother is going to get alot more time with the baby than anyone else ever will.

1 Like

Why did u ask his permission ? Ur the one giving birth .

1 Like

My son was at school when I had his brother… So my parents and sister came… Then they brought him after school… Then the father and his mother, nan and sister, and my best friend… I didn’t want a heap of people in hospital as I’d had a csection and for 24hrs after the birth I was naked bleeding in my bed and couldn’t feel my legs

Why not have them meet together? Have the baby and then afterwards have grandparents come in with big brother.

1 Like

Sometimes,the dumb shit ya all post, I feel as though you looking for some attention. If the grandparents are there and he wants them to,then by all rights it’s his kid also. Next time use birth control cause in a few months we gunna hear about your issues and separation. A child doesnt keep a man. Remeber that!!!

When I had my last one doctors told me I was in charge an ask me how I wanted things to go I had a csection with all 3 of my baby but my second passed away cuz I was knocked an didnt even meet him alive while I was out cold sleep because my anxiety was high they put me out an he passed away 30 mins after being born then took him to get baptize all while I was sleeping so when I had my last one I told doctors after me an dad saw her no one is aloud in NICU or by there at all that once they brought her to my room my oldest daughter will see her first then after that my mom dad sister an anyone that was there could come up so I think big brother should be first in line

Maybe the grandparents will be taking care of the big brother while little brother is entering the world and then they can all meet him together.

2 Likes

Big brother!!! Try to explain to your bf how your son is gonna be going through a big life change it’s important for him to feel excited and included.

1 Like

I don’t think it matters who is first. It does matter that he said “half” like a slur. That is bothersome.

3 Likes

Half brother? Shitttt. Fuck him first off :woman_shrugging:t2: second off…big BROTHER would meet him first.
Word of advice also, I would definitely let HIM AND HIS FAMILY know that they will respect and acknowledge my son as being my first child and also a HUGE part of my life and they will NOT treat him shitty because of the new baby :woman_shrugging:t2:

the four of you need alone time first before grandparents or anyone else barge in … also I would be having g a serious conversation about his comment— there are no such things as half siblings, it’s just siblings period

1 Like

BROTHER!!! There will never be a greater bond. 9 months is like a trillion years. Give him 15 mins and he will be ok. My son met his sister before anyone else. That first meet is so amazing and beautiful :heart::heart: he was 6 when she was born and I made sure everyone knew that he was seeing his sister first. We are a family and that’s just how it is. Grandparents/aunts/friends. They should understand and be more than ok with that.

Brother meets baby first, granparents are below your child on the totem…for me anyway… now After bubby meets the new baby then the granparents can be first befpre anybody else

Doesn’t matter who meets the baby first but truthfully I’m disturbed by 2 things 1) why should his parents be there waiting? Is that ok with you? You are the one giving birth… set boundaries? 2) if he isn’t treating your son like his own child now, and already viewing him as inferior, you may want to take a deeper look at the relationship… it will get worse

3 Likes

Have skin to skin contact alone with your baby first. You won’t regret it. They will probably take baby back to the nursery and grandparents can view baby from there and whenever your up for it everyone can eventually meet baby in intervals. But I don’t see the difference who “meets” the new baby first. Everyone is excited to see baby. I would say just go with the flow and don’t stress about who meets baby first as long as you get your time.

Big brother

Oh, and why are you asking your boyfriend permission if your other son can meet him first? Girl, you have a say in who comes and goes out of your room so bf better watch it. You just may be tempted to kick him out :joy:

My mum, had my oldest son with her when I gave birth to my youngest son. My mum brought my son to the hospital, so they got to meet new baby together.

1 Like

Time to say ‘Good bye’

Who cares! Whoever is waiting patiently in the waiting room should get first dibs and anyone else who puts time in to go see you. For this to be your second child, you’re making this into a bigger deal than what it needs to be. Geez.

3 Likes

When i had my second child we kept him from school bc he was very excited ti have a baby brother. So after he was born we had him come in so we could enjoy being a family of four for the first time. After he got to meet his baby brother we let everyone else see him. It was a special moment i will never forget

1 Like

Have the step grandparents bring the big brother and all three can meet the baby at the same time.

3 Likes

Why can’t they just all be there together?

2 Likes

I don’t really see why this should be an argument. Just be grateful your baby is born healthy and enjoy the fact that your child will be loved by everyone.

6 Likes

No the fuck he didn’t! Wow! I would have been pissed by the “half brother” remark

Doean’t matter. Isn’t gonna affect the bond if someone meets the baby before someone else. But if bf is already acting like a dick maybe get a new one.

4 Likes

If they’re all going to be at the hospital when the baby is born why not have them see the new baby together? If your oldest isn’t going to be at the hospital but the grandparents are then of course let them see the baby.

4 Likes

My mother-in-law was with my husband and I in delivery so we got to meet him first followed by my fatherinlaw. Then my parents brought my daughter and she met him before they did.

Well grandparents had to bring big sister, so they met the baby around the same time.

Siblings meet the baby first, all others wait a day or so, or until you are home. Too much stress and germs for my opinion

My grandparents and aunt saw my sibling before I and my other sibling did and I can tell you it left no lasting mark.
In all honesty we couldn’t have cared less because we were just excited to have had a new sibling.
Plus, my other sibling and I were there to see all the other “first”; something our grandparents didn’t get to experience.

I think a lot of people make mountains out of molehills.

Congrats on your new edition.

It really doesn’t matter. If they are there waiting then let them. Not like it matters lol. Hell my mom and husband met the baby before me due to complications. And his half brother remark is shitty!

My mom, dad, sisters, friend, allll met my son before our daughter did. They were there for the birth and she didn’t come up until the next morning :woman_shrugging:t2:

Honestly the baby isn’t going to remember and neither is your son. My husbands mom brought my daughter to the hospital so they both got to meet the baby first. My daughter is 11 and old enough to remember though. I would be extremely pissed if my SO ever referred to my kids as half siblings. My kids have different dads, and if anyone ever pointed that out I would be kicking them to the curb :woman_shrugging:t2: his parents dont really need to wait at the hospital anyways, why can’t you just call them after the baby’s born and ask them to bring your son with them!

1 Like

You can avoid all of it by not telling anyone you’re in labor and wait until the baby is born. No one needs to be sitting out in the waiting room on the baby. Then call whoever is watching your son to bring him or have your BF go pick him up.

1 Like

Shouldn’t have even commented on “half brother”… take that as a sign and hopefully won’t have problems later on

4 Likes

Very worrying him saying “half brother” neither of your children will feel they are half anything! Looks like your partner will always see this :confused:. In answer to your question BROTHER!!! Good luck x

2 Likes

Siblings meet first. Give them a special time to meet and bond before all of the other chaos comes into play

1 Like

I have a 14 year old and I am 5 months pregnant we take my son to all appointments and he will be the first to meet the baby. My boyfriend and I have been trying to make him included in everything because he has been a only child for so long

1 Like

Who cares? We actually met our granddaughter at the same time as her big brother because we had him while she was delivering. I don’t think it’s worth an argument.

4 Likes

Either they are brothers or not!!! It does NOT matter! And check with the hospital about their rules because I know of a couple that actually will not allow children under 12 to visit newborn babies! BIG BROTHER comes first!!!

Have grandparents bring the new sibling. Then everyone is happy.
I understand where you’re coming from, but letting the rest of the family meet baby first may be better. Then when brother comes he has unlimited time to get used to his new sibling.

It doesn’t matter who goes first. Fucking hell.

Erm it really doesn’t matter who meets the baby first! But if it makes you happy then arrange for your son to come first before anyone else arrives, it would be rude and childish to refuse someone to see the baby if they are there first :woman_shrugging:t2:

I can not stress this enough. Brother. There isnt half anything! Siblings are always first! Plus to save some argument have grandparents… bring him in, then they can see baby at the same time.

1 Like

Oh come on! Why does it matter who meets the baby first? The baby wont know any different and the 4 year old isn’t going to care… You’re the only one making this an issue. The almost 4 year old may not even be able to meet the baby until baby comes home. What if the child is sick? You gonna have someone bring him to the hospital to meet the baby so he can be first? That’s ridiculous! This is a completely childish argument.

4 Likes

My daughter was the last one to meet her brother, because she wasn’t at the hospital and everyone else was.