Why are breastfed babies gassy?

Regarding my 3 week old.
Is it normal for breastfed babies to have really smelly wind constantly. And need serious burping. And rarely poops (been days) but wee in every nappy. She brings milk up a bit. ?? Was starting to wonder if she might be lactose intolerant however i just grabbed some excess milk id pumped last night from the fridge and it had separated so maybe it ny milk with the problem.

11 Likes

The separation is just fat separating in the milk. Swirl it back together and it’ll be fine. Not every breastfed baby poops daily. It’s no biggie. Something you’re eating could be giving the baby gas. Is it every time she nurses or just sometimes? Keep a log of foods that you eat and when she is gassy and see what foods trigger it

2 Likes

My breastfed babies have always been gassy, have about one dirty diaper a week & pee a lot. Sometimes wet burps. I think it sounds pretty normal. As long as she isn’t extremely fussy.

3 Likes

Breast fed babies do no poop every day. My son only pooped every 4 to 6 days while breast fed.

Separation in milk is normal but I suggest you join a breastfeeding group Milky Mommas (Breastfeeding / Lactation / Human Milk Feeding Support) is my favorite. Breastfed babys can go up to 14 days without pooping but that is AFTER theyre 6 weeks old. In the first 6 weeks its important to see frequent stools. I feel like this is something you should see your babys provider for.

2 Likes

Depends on the baby. Breastfed babies dont poop as much, their bodies absorbs pretty much all the milk and less waste is produced. If you think she may be lactose intolerant then cut out all dairy from your diet, but keep in mind it can take anywhere from a week to 3 months for lactose to completely leave your milk, so you may not see immediate change. Also all breastmilk separates in the fridge, but I was always told no more than 24 hours refrigerated, then it becomes spoiled. Separation is fine though! Just gently twirl when reheating to incorporate the fats back into the whey.

Breastfed babies poo maybe once or twice a week

2 Likes

Seems all pretty normal to me

1 Like

I’ve had gassy babies but it was made worse by what I ate. My middle would be extra gassy if I ate chocolate. My youngest was dairy. All three also were typically one dirty diaper every 5-7 days. Keep track of what you eat and see if its worse and bring it up to your doctor when you see them

1 Like

there is less physical waste with breast milk however ive heard they smell less with breast milk

1 Like

My breastfed baby poops multiple times a day. Where you people get that any baby should only be pooping a few times a week there is something majorly wrong.

2 Likes

Separation is normal it’s just the fat separating there’s likely nothing wrong with your milk or the baby some breastfed babies can go 7-10 days without pooping. Kellymom website answers all things breastfeeding, check it out :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

They should be pooping once a day. Sometime during growth spurts they do all at once . My daughters farts burps nd crap smelled like breast milk. Tlk Talk to your doctor

1 Like

The separation in the milk is normal. I would call the doctor about the other concerns. Just to be reassured if nothing else.

Are you sure your child is getting enough milk?

2 Likes

Be conscious also of your own diet as this affects breast milk :blush: babies are scary so don’t ever be afraid to ask for help as that’s a sign of a good mum :bouquet::purple_heart::star::pray:

1 Like

All sounds normal except the not pooping. Breastfed babies typically poop several times a day. It should be a mustardy yellow color and mushy. Watch what you are eating also.

2 Likes

Yes sounds normal, alot of breastfed babies go up to a week or more between pooping as long as shes getting wet diapers shes fine, my son always had stinky gas and spit up alot the first 4 months or so, but since he continued to gain weight we didn’t do any meds for reflux, it sorted itself out. Babies tummies are not completely done developing at birth so the first couple months it takes them some time getting used to things. Milk separates because of the fat in it so that’s normal as well. Sounds like you’re doing fine momma, I wouldn’t worry unless your baby doesn’t gain weight at their appointments.

3 Likes

You just described my daughter exactly. My dr said nothing was wrong we just had to let her grow out of it

Yes, for me. The worst was when mine was on antibiotics. Phew! She’s always been fairly regular but a few times she would miss a day or two. I gave a very small dose of infacol which sorted her out of struggling with wind /constipation. Ask your health visitor if you’re worried about anything.

Breastmilk is supposed to separate, so thats not a concern. And its normal for babies to spit up some. You can tryin cutting out dairy and soy from your diet and see if it helps (would make your breastmilk dairy free) but what youre describing is pretty standard. Breastfed babies dont always poop as much bcuz their bodies absorb more nutrients from the breastmilk, so there isnt always a lot of waste leftover.

3 Likes

I’ve heard the smell can be different depending on your milk. Some women have high lipase milk and anecdotally it seems like that makes everything smell stronger.

1 Like

My daughter would go up to 2 weeks no poo never a problem. I’d say it’s something your eating giving the gas :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Just to be clear for everyone saying the baby not pooping means something is wrong it is NORMAL. Its normal for a breastfed baby to not poop up to 2 weeks. When a person poops it is to get rid of waste meaning all the junk our bodies dont need. Breast milk is everything a baby needs so their bodies use it all meaning nothing to poop out.

4 Likes

The gas is probably from something you’re eating and breastfed babies go days with out pooping it’s completely normal! If she spits up a bit that’s just the way you’re little one is that’s normal too.

My breastfed baby only pooped once or twice a week. Now that she eats solids its 2 or 3 times a day. As long as your baby doesnt seem uncomfortable I wouldn’t worry.

My breastfed daughter poop like every hour of the freaking day and it smell like rotten eggs

2 Likes

Breastmilk separates yes its normal I have a 4 month old 18lb baby and he poops once a day

The poop thing is totally normal. Try keeping her proped up after feedings. It helps with reflux.

1 Like

My oldest wouldnt poop for about a week but he had regular wet diapers. I mentioned it to his pediatrician and she told me as long as he’s happy and doesn’t seem to be in pain, not to worry. He also had very smelly gas

1 Like

Look at what YOU are eating. It may be why her tummy is aggravated. I’m more concerned with her not pooping for days at a time than her gas or spit up.

I would start a food journal to see if she has issues digesting specific foods you are eating (that go to her through your breast milk), but also give your pediatrician a call just to cover yourself. Breastfed babies should poop several times a day typically in addition to pees.

Also refrigerated breast milk will separate (fat on top). That’s normal. It’ll mix once you warm it up.

Good luck!

1 Like

Breast feeding mama here👋🏼 I love all the knowledge you breastfeeding mamas are giving her💙

1 Like

My babe is 3 months on the first and only has a poop diaper once a day or every other day. When he was that young it would be 3-4 days

Milk does separate as it is not homogenized. Fat floats to the surface. Normal to go for a wile without pooping and yes stinky gas instead. Keep nursing it’ll eventually come out!

Breastfed babies can go days without pooping

Pooping once a week is normal for a breastfed baby. Milk separates in the fridge, that’s also normal. My baby had gas a lot too, maybe it’s just what you’re eating.

Whatever you’re eating is giving her gas, and my own Mother threw away all the breast milk in my fridge one afternoon because she said it spoiled! Had to explain this all to her, as I cried

2 Likes

With baby only being 3 weeks old, I’d ask a doctor

When I had my girl she didn’t poop for 9 days. I was told baby is holding on to all the nutrients from the milk. I rook her to the Dr anyways and did call for small things…first time mama and I was worried about everything. So feel free to call doc. That’s why they are there!

Well, your milk is grand. It does separate. Shake it up to remix it. The fat comes to the top always. The poop can be anything from every feed to once a week, so long as baby is not straining to pass it and its hard lumps or diorreah. Baby’s gas too. The smells can vairy also. Wend swallowed while feeding or crying is progress. Then what mom eats is reflected in the odour of baby’s wing. Vegetables, cabbage, broccoli, sprouts cauliflower, garlic, celeric etc cause veggie smell. Meat makes stronger smell again. It would be unusual for a breast fed baby of that age to have a bowel infection. So if baby is happy and feeding and sleeping, then I wouldn’t worry. Good luck moma

My daughter has been EBF for almost 6 months. She only pooped every 4 days or so up until recently when she started getting solids.

You have to mix the milk from the bag and if she spots up a little then it’s just the extras cause she’s full and not pooping for days is very normal for breast fed babies. If baby has gas then it could be the food you’re eating that’s causing it, remember it’s what your way that helps make the milk. My oldest got gas every time I ate spaghetti and if you drink coffee to stay up it can actually put baby to sleep

Not pooping daily is normal. That just means baby is using at that nutrition and putting it to good use. Milk separation is very normal that’s the awesome fat they use for brain development. It will mix back together when warmed up. As long as baby is happy your good. Gas is very normal.

1 Like

My baby would take forever to poop at that age, like once a week. Breasmilk is perfectly balanced so they dont need to poop every day. Gas is normal, smelly might indicate an intolerance though. At this age their tummies are so new they take a while to get used to everything.

I couldn’t eat broccoli or beans while breastfeeding or my baby would scream with gas pains. The Dr told me to remove milk and dairy from my diet but it had no effect whatsoever. You might want to try cutting gas forming foods from your diet.

My advice is read this Stop asking your Facebook mommy group for medical advice and go to the doctor - Burnaby Now