Why does my pee smell like amonia?

Hey Mommas! So Friday night my daughter wet through her diaper onto her crib sheet, no big deal… I threw the sheet in her hamper and gave her a new one. Well today I went to put in a load of her laundry and it has this VERY STRONG ammonia like smell??! Im calling the doctor tomorrow morning just to see what could cause that… but does anyone have experience with this?! thanks!

41 Likes

When my baby has a UTI her pee is very chemical smelling… could be that??

1 Like

Maybe it’s from sitting in the hamper.

19 Likes

Sounds like a UTI. Definitely get in contact with the doctor. Hope little one feels better!

3 Likes

The urine has been sitting you didn’t let it dry before putting it in the hamper so it has a stronger smell

19 Likes

Not washed right away

3 Likes

Well 4 days is a long time for a pee sheet to be sitting in the hamper… as it dries it will smell worse.

14 Likes

It’s been sitting for a few days it’s going to have an odor

4 Likes

If it wasn’t rinsed out and allowed to dry and just laid wet with urine, it’s going to smell strong for sure.

4 Likes

The urea in urine contains ammonia and when it breaks down after sitting for a while you’ll get that ammonia smell. I would smell a fresh peepee, if it isn’t ammonia smelling I wouldn’t worry.

4 Likes

Its from not washing it right away

2 Likes

well i have cloth diapers and when they set for a couple of days that’s what pee smells like. it’s totally normal and the smell will wash right now.

2 Likes

OP:

Add to post: I always throw sheets in the hamper, and this is the first time with this odor :expressionless::woman_facepalming:

1 Like

My son does almost every night and even just a few hours sitting in the hamper it has a strong odor. (He only has 3 sheets so we wash same day)

You let it sit for days of coarse it’s gonna smell because it was sitting there… it’s okay lol

3 Likes

Its a strong smell because it sat in the hamper. Pee gets stronger as it sits and now that smell will be all over the rest of the stuff in that hamper. Next time, i suggest hand wash it, or at least rinse it and leave it in the washroom. When my son was small we would rinse and wash right away. That smell is gross.

4 Likes

Uhh. You left piss sitting there for days. Nothing wrong with bubs, that’s just what pee does. Best washed straight away, or it starts stinking.

10 Likes

Urine on garments will develop an ammonia odor over time if not laundered.

7 Likes

Unless you smell it directly from her when you change a diaper it’s fine… she probably peed more on that sheet and it smells after days even if it usually doesn’t it’s still normal cause it was left sitting around

4 Likes

4 days in the hamper will do that. :woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

I used to put night time diaper along with a liner on my son for bedtime; problem solved because I did not like doing extra laundry!

Its been sitting of course its going to smell strong. You need to wash things like that asap. You’ll probably have to wash it 3 times now :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

It’s been in there for days.
:person_facepalming: Arm n Hammer and Lysol in the machine. Wash on warm or hot water with everything it sat on.
Next time, wet it in the tub and put it in the washer.

Well any urine that sits for that long will become strong. When sheets become soiked you shoukd waah right away. If that’s not possible to do give the soiled stuff a good rinse in the tub. And use borax to get the smell out when you wash.

3 Likes

If you wash it right away or at least rinse out the pee that wouldn’t happen. In school we tested urine samples and just by sitting overnight they get disgusting and way way different. My daughter wets through her diapers often and I never leave it sit at very least I rinse it if I don’t have time to wash right away but even so just from the repeated urine it’s stained her white sheet set. It doesn’t smell but you can see it. And I buy lysol laundry sanitizer for when she does wet through because laundry soap doesn’t sanitize anything.

If they sit for longer than 2 days then they will stink… You said she wet them on Friday, its now Tuesday. Its been about 5 days

4 Likes

Advice anytime my daughter has an accident which is a rear occasion I use pure white vinegar. It takes the smell out. At 2 am she’s peed the bed I put the peed sheet in the hamper until the morning and sometimes it smells pee is pee it smells lol. But the white vinegar works like a charm. I put it in do a quick wash with just vinegar and then re wash a normal cycle with detergent. I’ve had the daycare not give me back pee clothes for two days gross lol.

My kids pee stinks :woman_shrugging:t2: idk it’s…pee. It smells like piss lol

1 Like

Well I mean u let it sit for a while so theres that​:woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming:

Buy some lestoil and wash it immediately. Do not let it sit to rot in a hamper.

1 Like

The smell gets stronger the longer it sits so if it happened Friday night it’s had time to get good and ripe

Longer it waits to be put in washer stronger it smells.

The ammonia in urine continue to “ferment”. You’ll have to at least rinse a peed-on sheet.

Odi ban they carry it at Sam’s and Wal-Mart we used it when my dad was on hospice care.it comes in a big jug from Sam’s with an extra spray bottle for

5 days? You’re gross. Seriously

7 Likes

Samantha shit posts like this is why I am the way that I am :joy:

Totally normal. Pee will always smell like ammonia if it sits too long. I cloth diapered and the first week I got sick this happened. You’ll want to do a first rinse to get rid of the excess pee and then a second wash in hot water with soap/vinegar/borax/whatever you use. Ideally you’ll be covered after that.

1 Like

Put a cup of vinegar in with the wash. It will be fine.

It’s because you let it sit for 4 days.

2 Likes

My 6 month old peed through her diaper this morning on her bed and I was in a hurry for work and by the time I got home and washed it, it already had a strong odor. It’s pee what do you expect?

1 Like

It’s pee that’s been sitting for 5 days of course it stinks

1 Like

Nitrates in urine smell like strong ammonia. I work in a clinic and do multiple urinalysis daily. I can always tell when there are nitrates, which is a UTI

That is the pee smell sitting, normal. :nose:

I keep a bottle of Clorox Urine on hand. We are very fortunate to have wash tub sink in our laundry room so usually if I can not throw her soiled bedding straight in the wash… I rinse it and put the Clorox urine spray on it. It’s color safe, okay for mattresses which I normally spray after I take the mattress pad off.

Yeah, it’s calked old urine

1 Like

What did you expect? It’s a sheet that’s been sitting for days with pee on it. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Gotta wash them right away, if it’s to late at night for you, put in bath tub or sink and let them soak in water and vinegar until morning

Normal…need to wash the following day or soak in soapy pail of water.
When cloth dialers were used that was norm. I used laundromat so soaked in soapy water after rinsing in flushing toilet

1 Like

Its because it sat around for some long.

It sat fermenting in a hamper. :woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

Heavy with nitrates. And, so fucking what if it sat for a few days? Some people are busy. Shame on many of you! Fuuck, my husband refuses to do laundry, doesn’t have a job, and I work five days a week, 12-14 hour shifts. My laundry gets done when I can get to it. Could be days, could be weeks. My kids has more clothes than I know what to do with. I could go months without doing her laundry! So what if this woman isn’t perfect. Neither are any of you negative Nancy’s.

It’s because the sheet wasn’t washed right away. There’s nothing wrong. Just wash it with a bit of extra fabric softener

its been sitting with pee on it for almost a week …should have washed it as soon as u could…now the smell is so strong u might wash it and it still smell like pee

4 Likes

So many judgy comments.

1 Like

Some of these questions are better off Googled :woman_facepalming:
Who doesn’t know 5 day old pee on a sheet smells like ammonia?
Also, for the love of all that you find holy … maybe wash pissy sheets ASAP

7 Likes

Hate to sound like a broken record, but it’s only because it sat for so long. Need to wash or rinse and soak as soon as possible or the smell might never come out.

1 Like

It’s the pee you’re supposed to wash those immediately

1 Like

Hello. You put a pee wet sheet in the hamper. Of course it smells like ammonia. Pee has ammonia. You don’t need a doctor, you need to stop putting pee wet sheets and clothes in the hamper. Wash them right away.

4 Likes

That’s normal if it sits for a few days nothing to worry about no need to call the doctor

1 Like

Why are mom groups full of so many rude bitches?

1 Like

I immediately take off my daughters sheet when it’s wet and rinse it in the sink then soak it in soapy water . Rinse again. Then, it can go into the machine

1 Like

Depending on how old she is it shouldn’t reek to bad…call just in case

Let it sit… it’ll get bad like that… can’t let things just sit :frowning:

3 Likes

It’s because it was sitting for so long. Things with pee (or worse) on it should be cleaned asap

4 Likes

Hello! We’ve all done it! Life happens and you don’t get to it! Geesh. Try washing it in hot water with some white vinegar. Also, try using the extra rinse cycle as well. Good luck! :grin:

6 Likes

You all are hella judgy. And I don’t even know if that’s a word, but if fits. Lol

13 Likes

usually, when the urine smells of ammonia they are teething or getting ready to get her back teeth, not the adult molars but the first set to come in & make way for her or his adult molars, but these teeth will be around a lot longer than baby teeth, it’s a very normal process that all babies go through, keep her bottom clean to stop or lessen the irritation on kids bottom which will also help illuminate odors & burning skin that ammonia is pretty strong & needs to be kept up on. It’s a normal reaction, she is not sick just coming further off the baby scale she’s growing up. If she complains her mouth hurts or favors one side over the other use teething gel on her to help calm down the minor pain she might be in, but let her come to you to tell you owie then react I was lucky when my kids went through this stage I didn’t know until the teeth were through the skin. Best of luck to you & little one

I love how everyone’s saying “it’s old that’s why it smells bad!” Which is probably right if it’s dried in. But bearing in mind my daughter wets the bed thru the night,that I can smell it by morning. She sees peadiatricain and is on bladder medication at night but the doc said there’s no infection or anything she just has smelly urine. So don’t be so judgemental.

3 Likes

It’s pee it sat, it’s going to smell :person_facepalming:

1 Like

my daughter pee’d ammonia smelling pee.Sometimes it would smart your eyes.went through numerous tests and all was normal. It didn’t seem to bother her,just anyone who changed her nappy. She grew out of it.

Pee smells bad when it isn’t at least rinsed out of fabric for that many days. You can take her in for a urine sample to be safe, but I bet it was just strong because it was left there to ferment in a closed space.

If laundry sits it is gonna smell worse.

Did everyone know that pee is sterile? When it comes out. But after it sits and starts to grow bacteria on it from being in the air and warmth and whatnot it is no longer sterile and that’s why it stinks. Because the bacteria on it is growing and colonizing and stinking. Lol.

1 Like

It probably smells stronger because it was closed up in the close hamper over night… It’ll be fine after it’s washed in hot water.

People can be so rude. When my son leaks and I get his dirty sheet out of the bin in the morning it never smells that strong. The only time his urine has smelt like ammonia, he had a cold and our pediatrician thought it was due to him being slightly dehydrated as he wasn’t drinking as much. We made sure he had a ton of fluids and eventually it went back to normal. So she could be dehydrated or she could just have stronger smelling urine. Ignore everyone telling you not to call your doctor. If you think it warrants a call, then do it, if even for your own peace of mind. Mama knows best.

1 Like

you let it sit for days before washing that’s why it smells

I would quickly rinse sheet drop it into a butcher of water and bleach to kill any bacteria, then wash out next day. End of smelly pee.