Why does my toddler feel like I don't love her when she gets in trouble?

It’s a learning process. I constantly reassure my daughter.

1 Like

My four-year-old was doing the same thing for a while. Honestly I think she was just doing it as a way to distract us from the fact that she was in trouble. You see every time she did it, she would hug us and say I love you and then we would hug her and say I love you too and Boom! end of punishment. OK…not as often with me but definitely worked on my husband for quite a while. We had to get to the point where we told her saying I love you doesn’t stop you from being in trouble. We did make sure to reiterate that of course we loved her and that didn’t change but you don’t use saying I love you as a way to get out of punishment either.

5 Likes

My 3 year old son is going through the exact same thing right now

Mothers are easily tricked by this

2 Likes

You’re overthinking it. And making yourself even more anxious. Parenting isn’t that hard. Majority of it is common sense and not letting the squatters manipulate us senseless. Which she’s already getting a good head start on if you’re losing your sh!t over this.
My kids’ first words used to be “I love you” when I approached them after they did something wrong. They learned quick they weren’t softening me up or getting out of their punishment with it, so they stopped.

Cause every 3 yr old is like that and I’m sure you were to at 3…

2 Likes

She is manipulating you lol It’s hard when they are so cute though

6 Likes

Say I love you too but still follow through with the punishment that is to come. Keep discipline consistent.

5 Likes

It’s a toddler manipulation tactic all toddlers do it at one point or another

8 Likes

Remember children that age are egocentric…so everything is their fault…the sun rises because they must get up…the sun sets because they must go to sleep…As she develops cognitively it will pass…just ensure her that you love her but also be very strict by setting borders

3 Likes

She’s manipulating you lol

Just say I love u . It’s a baby guilt trip xD

2 Likes

My lil cousin did that as a toddler too. They learn manipulation early. She thinks if she says that she will make u feel less like correcting her and she will not be in trouble. Don’t give in. If you don’t teach her you will regret it and who will discipline her? Tell her you love her too and don’t give your toddler the power to control your emotions. love her by teaching her right and wrong

1 Like

She’s very manipulative at this young age!

1 Like

Tell her you love her but not her behaviour

3 Likes

It could be early signs of an anxiety disorder, try changing your discipline style and talk to her paediatrician. Kids this young aren’t generaly manipulative at such a young age, they simply lack the self awareness to do so. What’s seen as manipulative is really just learned behaviour, (cause effect) if you used to comfort her when she got upset about getting in trouble then she learned that if she gets upset she gets cuddles. Just like she learned that crying got her fed and/or picked up as an infant. But it can definitely become manipulation if it’s not sorted out. Talk to her paediatrician.

5 Likes

She’s a little girl talk her thru things and direct on knee level not above her be on her side and explain that’s not good we won’t be doing that again that’s silly enjoy kids while there young tough stage once they go to school age gets easier as soon as they think there a burden they become one same goes for anyone really parenthood is never easy goidluck

Maybe all she hears is arguing. You, your spouse, kids have a tendency to think everything is their fault in an adult world.

I feel like that some days too. Like am I making the right decisions so that they will turn out to be great people that make a difference to society?!?! My children are 6, 5 and 4 years old and they are learning, growing and developing their own personalities every day with their own thoughts, beliefs, likes and dislikes. My oldest is extremely dramatic. I often wonder if that’s my fault. Did I do something in her life that causes her to be so dramatic about everything and cry about the littlest things? My son is my youngest and he is extremely ornery. Like he can get hyper, he has a temper sometimes and he doesn’t think he has to clean up after himself. What has happened in his life that he behaves this way but his sisters do not?! Parenting is so hard. It really is. All we can do is our best every day. Make sure they are healthy, fed, clothed and loved dearly. I just want the best for my kids so I’m doing my best to make it happen.

I don’t think it’s manipulation. Any time my daughter (who’s 4) gets in any kind of trouble she asks me “Mama do you still love me?” And I tell her that of course I love her and there is NOTHING she could ever do that would make me not love her, but that we still need to make good decisions when it comes to our behavior. I think there’s a difference between manipulation and needing some extra reassurance. I mean, I’m a whole ass grown adult and I STILL need reassurance every now and then, it makes sense that the tiny ones would, too.

How do you approach trouble? What is trouble?, I never raised my voiceor , paddled, I said what I meant meant what I said, Showed them when they were frustrated, She is very sensitive, she feels you, maybe you are short sometimes with her.

Teach her the difference between herself as a person and her behaviour. I love you but not that …behaviour. good luck :two_hearts:

Cause emotional blackmail starts early.

Just keep hugging them and giving them kisses sit them on your lap they will know u love them

Mine does this also and even though I know she manipulating me I still reassure her