Why doesn't my husband want me to cook for him?

I don’t see this as a bad thing. Maybe he just doesn’t want you to go out of your way for him.

He is just showing you appreciation :slight_smile: meaning like he does not want you to feel obligated to go far and beyond all the time

There are a lot of possibilities as to why he is saying that. I would ask him if you haven’t already.

My husband has also said that to me. He meant well. He could see that I was stressed out when he came home and I was trying to cook while being chased by 3 tiny toddlers. The only reason it bothered me was because in my head he was telling me I don’t need to love him. My love language is largely made up of acts of service. In my head if I don’t cook, clean, and do everything perfectly then I’m failing him and not loving him correctly. But his love language is physical touch so all he wants is for me to hug him, kiss him and just touch him as much as possible. It’s something I have to work on within myself.

Typical woman and overthinking. Men are simple. He doesn’t care. You shouldn’t either. Be happy.

3 Likes

I pretend I can’t cook too good so he does been that way for 5 years now

6 Likes

Ask him if he wants to cook … if not I would ask him the reason …maybe he would rather you go to work and help with the bills instead

1 Like

He has probably always felt like that. My husband is kinda the same way. When we first got together, he never took a lunch to work. I bought him a lunch books and thermos and started packing his lunch daily. Sometimes he eats some or all of his lunch, other days he brings it all back home. He tells me that I don’t need to do it. I tell him that I know I don’t have to, but I want to and that I’ll continue to do it. Not only does it save us money (before we got together, he barely ate lunch at work but when he did, he would eat out) but he also has it if he wants it. As for the dinners, men are simple and most are either meat/potato guys or they eat like little kids. While my husband does the majority of the cooking in our house, when I do cook, it’s usually simple. We have 4 kids, jobs, activities and sports. So it’s usually tacos or chicken tenders and fries. Stuff like that.

In my case, my husband was raised by a woman who believed all of her kids should be self-sufficient. She raised them to do their own laundry and be able to cook their own meals. My husband has never expected me to pack his lunch, and he cooks dinner as much as I do. Maybe your husband feels a little guilty about how hard you work, when he’d be just as happy with a simpler meal and to take responsibility for his own lunch. Especially in this heat. I’d talk to him before you jump to conclusions.

2 Likes

Is money tight? Maybe you’re going way over the food budget.

2 Likes

I feel like the best person to ask this question is him.

3 Likes

The only way to know how he is feeling is to ask. Sometimes my boyfriend tells me I don’t have to make anything special for him for work and I’m always like bet me and the baby are eating string cheese and PB&J for dinner lol

Ask him! if I did a 5 star meal for my man who has been cooking for 15 + more meals he might think I’m trying to poison him.

2 Likes

Seems strange out of no where?

Maybe he is eating out and when he comes home he isn’t that hungry and with the cost of food…maybe he doesn’t want you cooking more than what two people need.

1 Like

Mine told me this and I felt hurt too!! So I finally sat down and told him how it made me feel and asked him why. He said “sometimes I’m not really that hungry and I feel bad that you put all this work into it so I eat anyway. Sometimes I just want some rice or something.”
I make nice dinners now when I want them and when he asks for something special. Sometimes it really is the simplest answer.

3 Likes

It sounds like he may be feeling guilty that you go all out over his food. That could be benign or something more concerning could be going on. He may just not realize these acts of service are your love language and doesn’t want you to burn out. OR he is pulling away for other reasons. Only way to find out is to have a calm discussion with him away from the dinner table.

3 Likes

Does he pack his own lunch. When you don’t cook a 5 star meal is he still eating?
Is he eating at home at all?

You can come cook for my boyfriend and i

Stop cooking for him at all and watch him ask you why you acting like this

1 Like

Make yourself the perfect dinner

1 Like

I say be grateful for what he is saying. And i am sure he loves your cooking

3 Likes

It sounds like you both could really benefit from looking into love languages. And how each other gives and receives love. I bet you’ll find the root there.

7 Likes

he might be eating somewhere else

1 Like

STOP DOING IT!!! for a solid 6 months
Then he will be begging for you to go back to it!

1 Like

Hmmm could be guilt…any other odd new behaviors? We can CSI this for sure!

5 Likes

I would ask him , maybe someone else is cooking better

1 Like

Someone else might be cooking for him

He wants you to know that it isn’t necessary. He probably has felt like this the whole time honestly. Some guys like simple dinners. Maybe he feels like your babying him

1 Like

Honestly what man wants a woman who CANT cook. Eating out everyday is expensive hell and you get sick of it. I would ask him straight up what he wants or what he doesn’t want.

Maybe he is feeling fat and taking it out on you.

I’m sure that he is just telling you that you don’t have to work so hard.

7 Likes

Are you cooking super healthy? Maybe he wants some more like convenience style food.

Lord… let’s switch husbands

6 Likes

I wouldn’t cook or clean or no laundry but my one teach him a lesson you probably worked hard cooking and cleaning up the dishes I was married 15 yrs I didn’t have to cook so I got myself what I wanted to eat

Mine gained a little weight from my cooking :rofl: I do 2 bigger meals per week now and the rest are small/medium. Plus we usually do a fend for yourself night so everyone has leftovers, cereal or a sandwich.

1 Like

IMO he is saying you don’t have to put so much effort into the meals. Talk to him about how you interpreted his words and it will clear up alot of confusion for you

7 Likes

How long have you been together? Do you work too? Maybe he’s trying to make life easier on you?

2 Likes

Stop overthinking things just offer to cook once in a while for a treat instead

I would leave gourmet meals for my husband when I went to class and he always ate hot dogs instead. Some men just want comfort food. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

My husband says that too. I’m guessing it is because he feels like you do enough and that you shouldn’t always have to take care of him. Men don’t understand that as women we want to take care of them. It’s just in our nature.

Some of these have to be fake! Lol

2 Likes

Maybe he’s stressed about finances :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

He’s probably just trying to be considerate so you know he’s he appreciates what you do and wants to make it easier on you every once in a while

2 Likes

Have you asked him ?

2 Likes

I mean, do you enjoy cooking like that? If so, he can deal. However, if you’re doing it to make him happy, then maybe you two should sit down and talk about what would make him happy and see if you can find compromise. :heart:

Girl be thankful. I wouldn’t cook ever again.

10 Likes

Don’t cook for a couple of weeks and let him fend for himself, see if he changes his tune. Seems to me he’s an unhappy man and wants to upset you.

2 Likes

Stop complaining it’s not big deal

2 Likes

I dont see the issue here. He is just telling you dont have to go all out every night for dinners or lunches. So I dont see the big deal or why would you be hurt.

2 Likes

My fiance loves my cooking but I don’t usually go all fancy he might just want a plain boring meal like I say the basics meat, veggie, and potato/rice/pasta. And usually he will take the leftover from dinner to work if there is any the next day. He even cooks dinner to when I’m not feeling up to it (8 months preggo right now). You gotta communicate with him and see what he is really looking for. He might just want comfort food :joy:

1 Like

My ex husband did this when he started cheating on me…just saying

6 Likes

Cook for special occasions, that might make a difference…

Maybe he’s trying to be nice about telling you that he doesn’t like your cooking or the same meals? Maybe he wants to eat out? Or maybe he could be having other stuff going on. Don’t take it so personally. I suggest speaking to him about it. Communication with your spouse is the most important key/part of any relationship. Talk to him the same way you are asking strangers on social media, tell him his comments about your cooking have made you question things and feel a certain type of way.

1 Like

Sometimes a man just wants some pizza rolls and chips after he gets off work. It’s not the end of the world. Be happy he’s willing to give you a break every now and then.

4 Likes

Maybe he is trying to take some of the work from you. Maybe he is so thankful for what you do and wants you to have a break!!

2 Likes

He’s politely tellin you not to be so extra every day :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Well it might be to hot to eat a big meal he live you for what you are doing he just want to give you a brake

1 Like

Cheating?
Having lunch break with someone else

3 Likes

I don’t know why your husband is acting this way but you can come cook for mine any time !

6 Likes

Budget?
Maybe you’re spending too much money on these “five star meals?!”

You may be married to my ex! You qualify for compensation if so :woozy_face:

8 Likes

From a husband and a father, my wife wears herself ragged with the kids and getting her stuff taken care of. I’m an adult, I am capable of feeding myself and I don’t need to add to her workload. I appreciate when she makes my lunches but she does too much already and I would rather fend for myself or skip lunch than have her do more.

22 Likes

Maybe you should ask him. Let him be honest without getting mad at him.

2 Likes

My spouse is the same way. Some days he wants to lighten my load. Take it more as an appreciation. Still offer to make it, but it’s okay if he declines.

3 Likes

I would ask him. Maybe he is worried about finances or maybe he feels like you are mothering him.

1 Like

Bless your :heart:
Hubs is kindly telling u ya can’t cook. :wink:
Its ok…I’m not very good either.

1 Like

He might just feel bad that you’re always going that extra mile for him. I know mine gets a little in his head when I’m always cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids— on top of working full time. He feels like he should be doing more to match my energy but in all honesty he doesn’t WANT to do anymore lol so it would make him feel better if I did LESS and matched his energy lol

5 Likes

Maybe he just wants some fast food :woman_shrugging:t4: my hubby and i have our days we just pull up to a drive thru no biggie lol

1 Like

I was making my husband gain weight from cooking too good. Lol Maybe that’s the issue. :rofl:

1 Like

Its been “full moon season”

I’d suggest just letting him do his own. Have fend nights. Don’t make his lunch. Comments like that would hurt my feelings as well, and I’d back off.

1 Like

I think you’re taking this the wrong way. I’m the same way, I cook great home cooked meals for My other half every day and also make sure He has lunch for work. On top of taking care of our son, the house, etc…and have a lot of pain and health issues. Long story short, He tells Me the same thing all the time. It’s not that they don’t appreciate it, but They care and they’re saying, take a break. You don’t have to cook fancy meals all the time, they would be fine with a pizza, perogies or something simple. Same with lunch. He will say, I’ll just make a sandwich. I believe he is looking out for you, not trying to hurt your feelings or dont enjoy your cooking.

9 Likes

Maybe he just doesn’t want you to fuss over him all the time and spend hours preparing meals every day. Maybe him and the guys at work wanna go out to lunch sometimes and he doesn’t wanna hurt your feelings by not eating the lunches you prepare. Or maybe he’s a picky eater and doesn’t wanna hurt your feelings by not liking/eating the meals you prepare. Not all men expect all that, doesn’t mean he’s trying to be mean.

1 Like

Here’s an idea: Ask HIM.

5 Likes

Cook 3 nights a week and have fend for yourself the rest of the week. I have 6 people in my house and that’s how we do it. Just make sure there’s mac and cheese or some tv dinners fruit and veggies string cheese lunch meat bread olives stuff like that to throw together for themselves. Take a break! Find you a good book

4 Likes

Deng. I would love for my husband to tell me he doesn’t want me to cook anymore. Lol

Maybe a friend at work made fun of him. Who knows. It is odd for him to say that tho

3 Likes

Maybe he sees how much effort you are putting in and he wants you to relax a little. Maybe go to one pot meals like stew or soup

2 Likes

Everybody here gives there opinion on this Platform an u are saying u are feeling hurt cause u prepares these 5 STAR MEALS…
The ANSWER TO UR QUESTION :crayon::arrow_down:
Communication is the KEY to ur Marriage !
U NEED TO TALK TO your Husband
TO FIND OUT the Answers to ur QUESTIONS …

6 Likes

Or mayyyyyybe he’s trying to give you a small break from cooking 5 :star: meals for him .cause that sounds like a lot of work every day .some husbands are just trying to be nice

1 Like

Omg…I wish my husband was like that…

3 Likes

Maybe he’s just not hungry for what you’re cooking. Don’t mean he’s unappreciates or being rude. Just let him get him get his own food.

Did you ask him why?

Maybe he just doesn’t think you need to work so hard all the time or maybe he feels like your treating him like a child. Maybe just ask him what he means? I’ve had the same convo with my husband and sadly i was making him feel like one of the kids. My solution was to make the same meals but to let him make his own plate. Best of luck to you!

2 Likes

Cook yourself dinner and lunches and don’t make him anything haha
Is he putting on weight? Maybe he’s enjoying them too much hahaha

3 Likes

Not to be rude but Why are you looking for answers on FB. The only person who can honestly answer is your husband. You need to have open honest communication between the two of you. Anyone else’s thoughts or comments are irrelevant and most likely not going to be helpful. I would encourage you to pick a time that is good for both of you without other busy distractions and open up a discussion so that both of your needs are getting met by the other.

Maybe he sees you working so hard when you can throw some noodles in a pot and still make him happy

1 Like

I was a slave to my husband trying to please him. Look after the house and our kids he did not reciprocate. Felt not appreciated. He works comes home to a clean house and kids fed cooked dinner and when he came home after being away nothing had to be done. When one person is giving alot of themselves to receive nothing in return. I am not your slave and I would appreciate it if you actually cared.

7 Likes

Maybe he’s seeing you as much more than you see yourself.
Regardless, ask him.

He probably wants to give you a break

2 Likes

One night my Husband was over his Son’s home helping put up Halloween. I was home starting dinner and accidentally caught oil on fire :fire:. I was right there with my back turned and heard it so grabbed the fire extinguisher :fire_extinguisher:. Long story short, it scared him so bad that he fired me from cooking! 10 years later an he still does most of the cooking! We do cook together alot though!

2 Likes

I hope your hubby as a different reason …
My ex told me to stop cooking for him because he didn’t deserve me. I later found out that he was cheating.

3 Likes

Baby girl, it probably has nothing to do with you. Some people just don’t eat 5 star meals every night. I’m one of those people. I usually only eat 2 to 3 big/decent meals a week. Rest of the nights it’s a sandwich or cereal. You’re reading too much into it.

6 Likes

Did you ask him? Could be simple reason. Maybe he just doesn’t want you to work so hard :woman_shrugging:. You never know till you ask

3 Likes

Break the routine spoil him and you take him out to eat. :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I laughed only because I know alot of women (including me) wound love to have her kids, husband or both say that. Like full on i would have been dancing across the kitchen in happy delight! :joy::rofl::joy::rofl: I know not all are like this.

Edit- or I would have been out of their “road runner” fast.

8 Likes

Hi girlfriend is making him food?

4 Likes

Its tiring to eat 5star dinner every night.relax a bit

1 Like

When a man says stop cooking something definitely up. My man has never told me that. He’s offered to cook before but never told me not to cook stuff

4 Likes

Why don’t you ask him😏

1 Like

Could ba lloy of reasons, he doesn’t want to feel like he treats you like a servant, save money, isn’t that hungry, may not like the cooking, or cheating to name a few. Best to be direct and ask

1 Like

My boyfriend told me to not pack him lunches because alot of times he just doesn’t feel up to eating. Or he dines with the staff at work here and there! My boyfriend loves having simple dinners sometimes brats and chips with corn. Isn’t always up for big hearty filling meals when he works in the heat all day.

3 Likes