Why is sports important for kids?

My kids are involved in drama and music and I’m having some guilt about not having them involved in anything physical. They are 10/13 year old girls. So is it important? Or will they be okay without it?

11 Likes

Sport isn’t necessarily important, teamwork and participation are. Music and drama both accomplish that goal. If they want to participate in sport, encourage it, but don’t force the issue… it will result in nothing good. Drama can be quite physical, especially if they are participating in set design/construction. Dance is a great form of exercise and may be appealing especially if they have interest in musical theater.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/why-is-sports-important-for-kids/12132

I don’t think it’s necessarily important if you’re keeping the kids active and they’re really enjoying drama and music I’d say that’s enough

2 Likes

Every kid is different…My daughter wasn’t into sports, she was into dance and music and dance is very physical…if they want to try something they will let you know…Your a great mamma, chillax there are other more important things to think about

3 Likes

So I’ve done sports my life only bc I’m not musically inclined… sports is teamwork, discipline, perseverance, fun, learning, following direction, and a lot more. Personally it’s up to you if you think they would be good at sports AND if they would have fun. Not every kid excels in sports, maybe let them try and see if they like it?

If they have an interest then let them play, if they do not then don’t make them. You don’t have to play sports to be successful in life. Drama and other activities can still teach them patience, teamwork and discipline

3 Likes

Extracurricular things are important but not mandatory for a well rounded kid!! Do what your girls enjoy and if they’re interested in other things, sign them up! Otherwise don’t worry about it

1 Like

You can always take them swimming or hiking if you’re concerned about their health.

1 Like

Every kid’s going to be different. When our boys were younger we made them play sports. The oldest who is 19 now he played for two seasons. He played basketball and he came to us after the second season and said that he was not enjoying it anymore. So we sat down and talked and found out he had a passion for computers and enrolled him in coding classes.
The other two they continued on and they played high School football. My 18-year-old just graduated and enjoyed playing sports. My 16-year-old got hurt this past season in football and decided he did not want to play anymore but he’s going to play baseball.
I personally believe as long as they are doing something that engages their mind and they’re enjoying it then you’re doing great.

If they are healthy, they will figure it out. What sport do they LIKE ??? Maybe fencing ??? ( theater reference)

Unless they themselves ask for it, I wouldn’t be too worried… I am a mum to 2 girls, 13 and 8 and my oldest used to swim (like a shark, to say the least!) till just before covid 19 hit us badly in India, in 2020… she lost all interest during the loooooong lockdown we had where all the pools were closed and has now become a frumpy typical teenager who doesn’t want to do anything and I am just letting her decide.

If they arnt physical they arnt physical I had one that never touch a sport or instrument to one that does everything.

Some kids are athletic and some are artistic … and some are neither and that’s ok.

6 Likes

I went from sports to theatre and chorus in school. Trust me, just as much physical activity! :hot_face:

1 Like

Is not. It damages the body

Why guilt? Not every kid is interested in sports, and sports is more than “contact sports”. Ride bikes with them on the weekend. Take them camping, hiking, kayaking. Not everything has to be an “organized duty to perform”.

1 Like

If you make them do something they dont want to theyll retaliate and not like it.

1 Like

They have hobbies. Dont concern yourself about them not being into sport.

2 Likes

Kids need to do what makes them happy

2 Likes

I have 3 kids and none of them are sports, or musical instruments. None of them ever had an interest! 2 of the 3 are grown and just fine!

1 Like

Music and drama are just as equal as sports in teaching the same values and work. They also gives a sense of involvement, community and create great friendships. I was in music and theater growing up and my kids are involved in sports. It’s all about nurturing their passion in an activity.

Sports, to me, are important because of the social/emotional development they get from it. However, any setting where children are asked to work together and be a team will do the same thing. Drama and music work just as well as sports!
You do not have to be doing something physical to develop social/emotional skills

1 Like

What do they want to do? Extracurricular activities are important for a well rounded child but too many activities can create problems itself. I would ask them what kind of activities they would like to do.

3 Likes

Drama and music are just as important. Doesn’t have to be sports. Anything extra is great

1 Like

They NEED physical activity but sports are only an optional way to get that activity. If they WANT to do sports then support them in that. If they don’t, then leave it be. Most kids have too many activities and it stresses them out. Childhood shouldn’t be like a job.

1 Like

As long as they get physical activity and can work together in team activities whether it’s quick recall or scrabble don’t worry about it. It should be about teaching them to work together and form bonds and friendships in my opinion. Sports aren’t always for everyone.

2 Likes

Not everyone likes physical sport and that’s ok.

1 Like

If they’re interested in drama & music that’s where they should be. I don’t understand forcing kids to do sports or other activities when they don’t want to.

1 Like

Sports is about teamwork and building friendships when they are older . Sounds like they are doing that in another outlet nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

They’ll be okay. I never did sports or drama & music. More kids don’t involve themselves in after school activities than do. As an adult, can you really point out the ones that did as a kid than didn’t? Probably not.

My kids could literally care less about sports. So unless it’s something they bring up I wouldn’t worry about it. Foster the things they enjoy

Fuck sports. I grew up in Theatre and I’m weird but just fine lol sports suck and aren’t for just anybody… worried about them needing physical activity? Put them in dance. It’s in line with their theatrical interests and trust me, dancing is a sport. Takes a lot of strength and coordination.

Let them be themselves.

Also there’s plenty of movement involved in drama and music. They will still sweat their little butts off. They will still feel themselves panting after working really hard on their stuff. Do they get sunshine? Do they go to the park? Do you explore the outside world together? As long as they get that they don’t need extra activities. Just let them be them, and make sure they get all the sunshine and fresh air they need too. You don’t gotta be fancy and forceful at all.

2 Likes

Why do people put so much on kids needing sports??? It’s ridiculous. I did drill team for rotc and choir. I was more fit than most of my peers!

2 Likes

They don’t have to be in sports. I don’t know why people think kids have to be in sports honestly. My son is in band and tbh that could get him a scholarship to college if he chooses to pursue it more. He’s also involved with talent search and other things also.

2 Likes

Kids do not NEED sports, unless the child wants to play said sports. Kids deserve to do what they love just like adults

2 Likes

I wouldn’t feel guilty. Put your kids into activities they are interested in. Some kids aren’t sporty and that’s ok. Helping them to find their passions and helping them get that outlet is what is important.

1 Like

Kids need to do SOMETHING. Creative activities is just as important as sports.

Sports is not important at all unless they are trying to get a sports scholarship for college. You can get all the same socializing and team building from any activity, dosent have to be a sport. If you want them to exercise take them hiking, swimming, biking or for a walk or run

Idk let them do what they choose. I didn’t do sports after elementary school and I didn’t want to. Lol. However some kids love it. I’d just offer it and see what they say. Gymnastics, cheer, softball, track, volleyball there are tons of choices they can try and if dotn like it try something else

If they enjoy drama and music, they might enjoy dance for a physical activity

I did band. Never was into sports so didn’t play. Turned out just fine. Maybe people worry about having that team bond, but you also achieve that in other groups such as band, choir, drama, or any other club. As long as they happy and healthy u doing fine mama!

I didn’t do anything and I was fine

Have you asked them…it’s ok if they don’t like it.

Sports are not needed.

I did a lot of sports growing up. My body is paying for it now. As much as I love the memories and loved the thrill. I honestly don’t know if I would do it again.

1 Like

Sports per say is about learning to be apart of a team. Drama will teach them the same thing. They should be fine

Ask if they want to try any sports if they do let them if not that is fine also. Many parents push kids into sports for the scholarship possibility. Or they think their kid is the next Olympic champion so they push and push. Are your kids well taken cadre of? Are they happy? Are you doing your best? If yes then don’t feel guilty for then not being into sports.

1 Like

Not important, only that’s important is they are doing what they enjoy.

Unless u have health / weight concerns with them then I wouldn’t be too bothered given they do have hobbies & interests.
As long as they are active in daily life then they’re still getting exercise. Even day-to-day walking to school and friends houses is still activity.

It’s not necessarily sports that are important. Its learning to work as a team. Learning to persevere in adversity. Learning to take criticism, learning to put in the work and effort needed to excel.

Sports teams, drama, choir, all teach these things.

1 Like

They will be fine with out it

If they show a great desire at a sport then support them if not don’t do it for what you want them to do

I never did sports or any extra curiculars at all bc we couldn’t afford it but I have always been into art stuff I just did it at home and have always hated sports and still do… Don’t even watch them on TV

It’s important that they do things they love. Sports, drama, music, whatever. You’re doing great :heart:

I did sports in elementary school but once I got to middle and high school I did clubs like FLA and HOSA. I stayed active in those. I turned out ok. I think :joy:

Let them do what they love, that’s what is most important.

It’s even nice if you all just go for a walk together and talk, no phones on

Not in our world, they never cared for sports and I don’t force them to do any sport. The only thing sports got me was injury and how to talk s***about the other team.
And in my experience in many many different schools was the sports teams were not nice to other students eaither.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with being involved in sports. I had one son totally not interested but excelled otherwise and one son that played football and basketball.
Of course physical activity is important but being on a team is not the only way to get exercise. I wouldn’t push the kids toward any certain sport but I wouldn’t purposely deter them either. If they want to try a sport let them go for it…if not then so be it.

I was a theater geek nothing wrong with it at all. Plenty of activities especially in theater your almost always moving.

As long as they are getting exercise at gym in school or at home then don’t worry. Let them stick with what they want too♥️

1 Like

My kids were in no sports. They’re productive great citizens. Sports are NEVER a necessity as not everyone is interested.

1 Like

Giving them the option to play sports is good. Sports is good athletics which teaches good exercise. But not all kids are interested.

1 Like

It’s just good to have a physical activity to do. Doesn’t ha e to be anything crazy. Horseback riding has a lot of good skills and responsibility building. Tennis, a dance class. Their schools might have a girl’s on the run program where they run a mile after school, that was fun for me as a kid.

They are fine momma. Let them explore on their own. If they have interest,let them.

1 Like

Not all kids like sports. I think it’s just important for kids to have a social activity. Whether it’s sports , music, school clubs etc.

4 Likes

They’ll be fine . Not everyone is athletic, we all have certain things we’re best at doing.

1 Like

I was in band and it’s hard work when you get into marching band.

Physical activity is very important for health reasons and sportsmanship and being on a team help too… being a welrounded adult will help in all aspects of life

3 Likes

Yes, they will be fine. They will have the same “team” experience with drama and music, as they would with sport. They will have the same drive to improve their skill, as they would in sports because they will want to have leads in drama productions, solos in choir or first chair in band. The frustration comes when schools dont value these programs the same as sports. However, none of it will matter in real life except your kids will have a talent/skill they can continue to share with others.

1 Like

Sports is nothing but egos, power, money and favoritism!! From T Ball up!!!

I come from a very sports involved family. I myself have 3 boys very involved in sports. However, I personally feel that while sports is not everyones cup of tea being involved in some sort of extracurricular activity is good. Making friends from other schools/towns is good for kids. No matter the activity they will still learn a sense of good sportsmanship.

As a drama and music kid myself, I wish I was given the option to explore sports as a kid. I wasn’t interested because I didn’t try anything. However, I wish I would have gotten into swimming or something. If your kid isn’t interested then don’t push it but if they haven’t at least tried something or knew someone who tried something then I would encourage it.

Competitive sports aren’t for everyone. And that’s perfectly okay. As long as they stay active in other ways and involved in things that they enjoy I think it’s fine!

2 Likes

They don’t have to do sports. Maybe just taking a walk as a family regularly would be good ! Not every kid likes sports and you definitely don’t want to push them.

1 Like

10/13 year olds are perfectly capable in answering if they would like to do some sort of sport activities. Simply ask them.

1 Like

Not every kid is interested in sports. Don’t force it. It’s not necessary.

3 Likes

Honestly I don’t plan on putting my son in sports unless he really really wants too. I feel there are too many practices and between homework and practice these kids don’t even have time to be kids. I’m not staying out every night till 8pm at practices I just think it’s ridiculous. And giving up every single Saturday to it? Nah chief. Sports are too hard on kids these days. I cheered for 9 years and I was fat the whole time so I don’t really think sports are necessary :woman_shrugging:t3::v:t2:

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. https://answers.mamasuncut.com/t/why-is-sports-important-for-kids/12132

I have one in drama, band, marching band and a bunch of other academic clubs, and one in just football. They are both fine.