Why would my HCG levels start increasing again?

Has anyone been through this? So…here’s a little back story. I am 10 months, pp with my second child. I just found out I was pregnant with our 3rd around two weeks ago. I had blood work done a week ago (Wednesday), and my HCG levels were 380. I had repeat blood work that Friday, and my levels had dropped to 160. I started bleeding that Sunday. I had more blood work on Monday, and my levels were still 160 and hadn’t moved. My OB sent me into the ER for an ultrasound and more blood work yesterday (Tuesday), and my HCG levels had risen to 250, but I’ve been bleeding since Sunday but haven’t actually passed anything. They did an ultrasound and didn’t believe it’s an ectopic pregnancy but told me I am miscarrying (only estimated to have been 2-3 weeks along) and didn’t see anything in my uterus. I obviously don’t have hope for this pregnancy, but why would my HCG levels start increasing again? I go back Friday for repeat blood work and a follow-up exam from my OB, but I’m so confused, and this has been an extreme rollercoaster of emotions.

16 Likes

I had a miscarriage with our 6th child back in 2009 i was 14 weeks and 3 days my levels were the same even after i had delivered at home in the toilet they ended up doing an ultrasound and the baby was obviously goone but it took about 8 weeks for me to have my numbers go completely back down. The reason they did the ultrasounds was because they wanted to make sure i wasnt pregnant with more than one. Hugs

1 Like

You could have vanishing twin. I had that and carried the surviving baby to term - he’s 8 now. Hugs mama.

6 Likes

It might have been twins, and you’ve lost one of them

2 Likes

I’m sorry. My hcg levels increased after a laproscopic surgery to remove the pregnancy from my ovary, it was not in my tubes and they couldn’t really see it but I was internally bleeding. Afterwards, I had to be treated with methotrexate because hcg levels started increasing again. All of this is extremely rare but thought it may help. It took 5 visits and one er visit before it was figured out or l likely would have not made it. Hope this helps.

1 Like

I had a partial molar pregnancy where I was miscarrying but my levels kept increasing. I started bleeding but never passed anything, levels got super high to where I was horribly sick. I was stubborn & refused the D&C for an extra 2 weeks to make sure there was no chance but ended up having to get it. Prayers for you regardless of what’s causing it.

2 Likes

The doctors thought I was having a miscarriage because I did pass what looked like a baby (5-6 weeks). They did blood work and my levels dropped then went up again because I had an ectopic pregnancy. They didn’t find out until I was about 6-7 weeks along in the ER.

1 Like

Could be several reasons. It could be a typical pregnancy that is having a rocky start, could be a chemical pregnancy, could be a miscarriage, etc.

1 Like

I did the same thing with my 3rd son they kept saying it was a threatened miscarriage. I bleed off and on for 4 and half months with a lot of pain. But i made it til 28 weeks but then my water broke but luckily i was able to keep him in til 32 weeks. It took a lot of praying because it was a difficult time. Especially when my levels dropped so low they thought he wouldn’t survive. He is now 5 and healthy. Just got to have faith and pray

6 Likes

I hear of some women who have periods while they are extremely early in their pregnancies. As long as you aren’t passing anything, you might be ok!

2 Likes

This happened to me when i was pregnant with my oldest. He had a twin. Vanished. It also happened to me before i got pregnant with my twins. It was an ectopic pregnancy. Best of luck mama

2 Likes

My friend had the same situation as you almost. She was pregnant with twins and her levels went down . Then back up the following week because the other survived. But not very long . She miscarried that one as well 2 weeks later. Very sad time for her and us her friends and family

1 Like

Mine did that but still miscarried

1 Like

When I was pregnant with my daughter I thought I was 6 weeks but I was really 3 weeks. I had started bleeding like a period and had multiple blood tests. My HCG was lower. And then they scheduled me to go every couple days for a week. I didn’t pass anything that looked like a miscarriage but i had 3 drs tell me I lost her. My husband kept saying no ur still pregnant. Sure enough, after that my levels started rising and finally there she was. They never gave me an answer. But I’m a twin and my grandmother had 3 sets. So I think maybe she was a twin and I lost the twin. Good luck!

2 Likes

When I miscarried I know my levels took some time to drop but they didn’t raise back up. That is odd. Has your doctor said why this might be?

Something quite similar happened for my first pregnancy and they gave me methotrexate

1 Like

Absolutely not a molar pregnancy, ultrasound would have showed the blood clots in your uterus and your HCG levels would be extremely high. I’ve had 2 molar pregnancies

1 Like

There’s an app period tracker and in there is a chat feature where u can talk about diff things female related. It helped me a lot w support for my miscarriage. And it could be a molar pregnancy or even implant bleeding. Sending u hugs :hugs:

Vanishing twin syndrome?

2 Likes

In my opinion that’s too early to see pregnancy… I definitely wouldn’t trust that. I would definitely wait a few weeks and go again. I’m not sure about the levels decreasing and rising but I do not write this off as miscarriage just yet.

2 Likes

I had twins, miscarried one, levels dropped and then came back up.