Will this medication effect my hypothyroidism?

I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. Im a 28 year old mother of 2. My doctor told me over the phone and i asked alot of questions but also didnt think of some in the moment. I was put on Euthyrox 25mg and its only been 5 days. But i was wondering if anyone else has hypothyroidism and if this medication effects birth control? Also does hypothyroidism mean i should no longer drink? I have a wedding coming up and would like to! Is it geneic? I made a dr appointment but it isnt for another 6 weeks Any information, advice or recommendations are welcomed and appreciated!!

12 Likes

You can ask your local pharmacist. I personally wouldn’t ask people on FB with no medical background

7 Likes

I’m not sure about the medicine effecting it. I am currently hypothyroid and I have a drink or two every once in a while and my endocrinologist knows and hasn’t ever told me it’ll harm it. & thyroid disorders can be genetic from what I have been told, but in my family it skipped a generation.

I have hypo. I don’t know about 100% the birth control question, but most birth controls and thyroid meds are okay together, you just aren’t supposed to take them at the same time. So take one in the morning and one at night.
I drink once in a great while and it doesn’t effect my levels, but drinking and birth control aren’t usually a good thing from what I’ve heard.
Also it’s not always genetic but it definitely can run in the family and skip generations (my Grammy has it but my mom doesn’t).

Also not sure if you were told but you are supposed to wait at least 30 minutes before/after eating when taking you thyroid meds. Food makes it harder for your body to absorb the hormones.

1 Like

I still drink occasionally on my thyroxine x

Whether you’re taking hormone replacement therapy or popping a daily birth control pill, taking other hormones at the same time as your thyroid medication can interfere with its effectiveness. … Take the two medications an hour apart. USE CONDOMS as well as birth control and you should be fine.
Your doctor will slowly raise the amount over time until you see an effect. About 6 weeks after you start taking the medicine, you’ll go back to your doctor for a blood test to check your thyroid hormone levels. Depending on what the results are, your dosage may change.
Discontinuing any prescribed medication on your own is never a good idea- unless you are having significant side effects, and will be speaking to your physician shortly.
Although hypothyroidism most often affects middle-aged and older women, anyone can develop the condition, including infants. Initially, babies born without a thyroid gland or with a gland that doesn’t work properly may have few signs and symptoms.
Sometimes there is a genetic Factor especially if there is a family history of it my endocrinologist told me that it usually happens on the mother’s side of the family great grandmother mother Etc it could be on the side of the mother or the father like say maybe on your dad’s mother’s side of the family or your mother’s mother’s side of the family there could be a genetic component to it in which case you probably would have had this your whole life if you do have a history of in your family.

1 Like

Don’t take any vitamins with iron in them at the same time as your thyroid meds! So I take my thyroid med in the morning and my prenatals at night to keep them well spaced out.

1 Like

Usually when one picks up a script the person can talk to the pharmacist & they should ask you this. If not, why didn’t you ask??? Also there is a information sheet in with the script that will also give you more information you very want to know. Call the pharmacist up & talk to that person

1 Like

The tablets u must take everyday same time for it to work! Yes u can have a baby with the meds! I took it in my pregnancy! I dont drink alcohol so i dont know if it affects the tablets ! Its a hormone tablet that u will be taking! Expect imbalances in your body! But remember its because of ur thyroid thats why Doc is putting u on these meds! So try not to eat or drink things that will affect your thyroid !

1 Like

I still drink and have been diagnosed for about 27 years. My meds is a natural replacement for thyroid so does not effect birth control.

I have hypothyroidism. I call it my curse. You’re gonna want to eat the healthiest. You’re gonna feel tired for no reason. You will gain weight easily. You’ll feel colder during the winter than usual. It’s going to be a bit more difficult to conceive. Yes it’s genetic. It took kaiser almost two years of ongoing visits to figure out that I had thyroid issues

You can always google the medication your on and read all the info you find on like say MedMD for example…and from my experience of working in a pharmacy the only medications you have to really be careful with birth control is antibiotics…but it wouldn’t hurt to call your doctor for a professional answer for your questions

2 Likes

It is genetic for my family also. Speaking from experience my mom has hypo and still has a glass of wine or two every night… she was 40 when diagnosed and will be turning 65 next week…

1 Like

I’ve been on thyroid meds for years. Never worried about drinking, birth control or making babies. You are better off with it than without

1 Like

I have been on synthroid for years and I never had a problem with anything I ate or drank

1 Like

There are certain food that you should avoid being hypo. I was diagnosed when I was 14. But to be honest i dont really avoid the foods. The biggest thing is to take it every single day.
There was a point where I was unable to get my meds for a couple months, when I was finally able to get tested to get more meds the doctor and all the nurses looked at me and said “HOW ARE YOU ALIVE RIGHT NOW, MUCH LESS ALIVE??!?!?!”

1 Like

The biggest thing with BC is don’t take your thyroid hormones and BC together wait at least an hour to take BC. I wouldn’t worry about alcohol just don’t get drunk every weekend. Soy is horrible for your throid so I have cut soy out completely and it helped me a lot. There is also a difference between just hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s so I would ask your doctor to do a full thyroid panel including your antibodies. Normal hypothyroidism you can function really well with just replacement hormones with Hashimoto’s you sometimes need additional modifications to your hormones and diet.

We have my chart and I can email my doctor with questions and she gets back to me with in 24 hours! Maybe you doctor has something like that so you could get your concerns address that way!

You can also call your pharmacy and talk to the pharmacist. They are the experts when it comes to medication side effects and interactions. Touch base with them while you are waiting for your appointment.

3 Likes

I do not have it, my mother and sister do.
Your first appointment seems far off but it will be here in no time.
Now is a good time to sit down and write down any questions you may have for Dr.
Never fails when in person you forget to ask certain things.
Do a google search on the medication, and dosage you were prescribed, and they should have listed all side effects, do’s and don’ts .
Maybe join a FB page and learn more about your hypothyroidism.
It’s good to know your not alone,and you may pick up some helpful tips from others that have the same thing.
That’s what I’ve done myself with different things I suffer from.
Wish you all the best!

1 Like

Did the pharmacy give you an information sheet on the drug when you got it. You should have received one. Check side affects

These are questions for your health care team…write them down and good luck.

1 Like

When you got script look at information that was attached. It tells you a lot.

Yes you can drink alcohol I have had thyroid disease for more than 20 years I drink

Talk to the pharmacist

3 Likes

I do regular blood work every six months.

I am seventy three and have been on medicine before my nineteenth birthday. Even took during pregnancy. Have been up and down thru the years with dosage.

For the love of god, please stop asking Dr. Facebook and ask a real dr!!!

2 Likes

You can drink and very few thing interact with thyroid meds. Been on them for 20 years no interactions or problems. Just watch what you eat, some things trigger aches and pains with thyroid problems.

1 Like

Levothyroxine here which is generic Synthroid. No problems with anything…i.e., drinking, birth control, or issues with other meds. Anytime you have a concern about a medication talk to your pharmacist. There is nobody more knowledgable than he/she on meds and how they work, not even your doc.

4 Likes

You can drink. But, you need to take your thyroid medicine on an empty stomach and without any other pills for full absorption and best effect. So, you’ll have to take your BC at a different time. Take thyroid pill when you first wake up then wait an hour before eating.

3 Likes

the only thing I know it has interaction with is over the counter cold, flu, and sinus meds. I was warned by my Endocrinologist and cardiologist not to take them.

RN and hypothyroid patient here…levothyroxine is fine to use with birth control and yes you can drink with it. It is a medicine that needs to be “dialed in” meaning they start you on a low dose and then recheck your levels every 6 weeks or so and may change doses until it gets into a normal range. The American Thyroid Association has a great website with tons of info. This can be genetic, but it can also be environmental or diet related. There are dietary changes that can help with it too, but you are going to feel substantial improvement as your thyroid levels get to a more normal range.

1 Like

Listen only to your Doctor, everyone can give you advice, but every case isn’t the same.

Doesn’t interfere with anything ,have been on meds for forty yes…just keep getting checked out.

Many of your questions regarding medications can be answered by your pharmacist

On levityroxine for over 45 yrs Can’t eat grapefruit or the juice. When you get your Rex read the pamplet that comes with it. If you don’t get one ask pharmacy for one. Good info in it

1 Like

Why not ask your doctor? You should trust his/her answer before a stranger.

I take levothyroxine for my thyroid issues

3 Likes

The medicine does not affect the birth control and Yes you can drink. :+1:

you can ask your pharmacist

1 Like

Google the ex name and thyroid interaction

I’ve had Hypothyroidism since I was 8 (I’m 25). I take Synthroid for mine and i have spoke to my Gyno for many years and it has never affected my birth control. But each medicine is different. Speak to your gynecologist. Drinking isnt bad but be caution about how much you drink.

I have hypothyroidism and I’m on 125 mcg of euthyrox. It is genetic in some cases but not always. It doesn’t interfere with birth control and yes you can drink

Speak with a pharmacist. Since you didn’t specify what type of birth control you’re on it may or may not effect it at all. Again, your pharmacist can help you. Also you can just call your doctor to leave a message, you don’t have to wait until your appointment.

You should call the doctor’s office and ask for an answer to your medication questions. You don’t need an appointment for that. If you do, then it’s time to look for a better doctor. Sometimes the pharmacist will also answer such questions. They know contraindications as well.
Good luck Honey!

1 Like

I have it. Been dealing with it for 10 years. It is a hormonal so you should definitely take it like your birth control, same time every day. Avoid food or drinks other than water for 30 minutes before or after taking it so it gets properly absorbed. It does increase your chance for pregnancy in the fact that hypothyroidism is a reason for infertility. So if you come off birth control, getting pregnant should not be as hard. You do need to keep an eye on your moods though. That was a problem I had with my birth control and thyroid meds. You may not notice it as much as others do, so watch what close friends say about mood swings.

1 Like

Also, you can still drink. I haven’t noticed a difference with that. And it is genetic. But, the thing that may be a possible trigger is seafood intake. People along coastal areas are less like to develop gout and hypothyroidism because of the nutrients found in seafood and shellfish especially.

If you take an antacid, take your thyroid med, wait 30 minutes, then take your antacid