Would I be in the wrong if I rehomed my husbands dog?

A few months ago, my husband brought home a dog without asking me. He knows I dislike dogs, and I never wanted one. I am 9 months pregnant and also have a two-year-old and feel like I have 0 time for this dog that I never wanted… he is about to deploy and expects me to care for HIS dog that I did not want to begin with, but I have no desire to do this. He is a good dog, but I told him since the day he brought him home that I WAS NOT caring for him. He still expects me to do this while raising our children while he is away…would it be wrong of me to rehome this dog that I never wanted?

512 Likes

I have done with a old dog of my ex partner he brought it home I didn’t want on especially when I was pregnant he was to interested in going out with his friends so one day I found someone who could take care of it 24/7as I couldn’t so I would say if u know deep down that u wouldn’t manage to give the dog the attention he or she needs then it be best to rehome

1 Like

Taking care of and training a new dog while 9 months pregnant and with a two year old in not your responsibility. It does not make you a bad person and is not wrong. He needs to find a foster home for this dog and should have considered you and your condition…plus the time it takes added on with a newborn and a toddler while he’s deployed. People get caught up on the dogs like they are more important than people. The terrible comments that people are posting against you hurts my heart. YOU are more important than the dog he brought home without your permission. Your CHILDREN are more important than the dog he brought home without your permission. Empower yourself to do what you know is right for you. When I was pregnant, I was barely able to walk. I certainly couldn’t have trained and cared for a new dog. Tell him to find a foster, give a timeline, if he doesn’t then rehome it and don’t feel bad. I have concerns about how he treats you based off of his decision to do this. If he’s already deployed, reach out to the unit POC that should be checking in on you and ask for help with fostering or removal of this dog.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Would I be in the wrong if I rehomed my husbands dog? - Mamas Uncut

Tell him to figure out where the dogs gonna go while he’s away.

19 Likes

You should discuss this with him.

9 Likes

Have him do it before he deploys

2 Likes

Without his knowledge, yes it would be absolutely fucked up. However there are alternative options other than rehoming him like getting a pet sitter or assistant while he is away

Don’t do it behind his back

26 Likes

I feel like its wrong… My opinion though

4 Likes

I def wouldn’t wait til he’s gone to rehome his dog. This should def be something ya’ll figure out before he leaves.

6 Likes

Dont get rid of it behind his back but definitely tell him he needs to find someone else to watch it while hes gone. Its absolutely unfair that he expects you to raise 2 kids alone and a new puppy (which are more work than kids half the time). It honestly just sounds like he doesnt respect your opinions or wishes.

12 Likes

Ask him to do it before he leaves. Do not do it while he’s gone without telling him or talking to him about it. I gotta be honest if my significant other rehomed my dog without speaking to me about it that would be grounds for divorce in my home.

22 Likes

Yes you would be wrong to rehome the dog while your husband is deployed, you would not be wrong to tell him to find another family to either foster the dog while he’s gone or find a family member to keep the dog until he returns. It also depends on how long his deployment is.

3 Likes

I’d be filing for divorce as soon as I get back. 🤷🤷

20 Likes

I have not read anything this hateful for a long time. The dog can’t help he is in your house. Your husband like the dog. Why do you think he doesn’t deserve the dog just because you don’t like him. I would totally leave you if I was your husband

28 Likes

I’d tell my husband straight up to get rid of it. I’d tell him I’m not taking on the responsibility currently. I would not rehire behind his back

You sound spoiled. He serves our country and that is repaid by his dog getting booted? You said it’s a good dog, so no you dont have a good reason and you are wrong.

47 Likes

I wouldn’t do it behind his back.

2 Likes

Like thats the kinda sh** he needs while he’s on deployment :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: get it together.

18 Likes

Have him find someone else to care for the dog while he is deployed… Check out Dogs on Deployment for foster families in your area.

14 Likes

No but you need to tell him and not doing it behind d his back, he had no business doing this without discussing it with you first

4 Likes

Well if it was me, I would NEVER forgive you. Shoving his dog out is like you shoving HIM out. And by the way, I personally think you are heartless. :woman_facepalming:

39 Likes

Would you want him to do that to you? No you wouldn’t. Have him take care of this situation while he’s home.

1 Like

Yes. It’s wrong. Not fair to the dog or your husband.

You can always pay to kennel the dog until your husband gets back home.

4 Likes

If u will not give it the care, attention, and love it deserves then it would be better off rehomec! Someday u may wish you had kept the dog. They can be very loyal.

2 Likes

I can understand not wanting the dog but doing it behind his back is wrong. You should really talk to him before he deploys otherwise doing it behind his back, may force a reaction out of him that you don’t want. Jsayin

2 Likes

You lost me at “I dislike dogs.” I can see the dog is not the one that’s the problem.

16 Likes

I’d rehome you of you got rid of my dog :woman_shrugging:

17 Likes

I hope the dog finds better humans!

8 Likes

Tricky. He should have at least told you before bringing it home. But it would be wrong to get rid of it. The pup will be kind of like a protector while he is away. Maybe that’s what this is all about?!

4 Likes

Typical dependa. Abso-fuckin-lutely wrong of you. Thats just awful.

If I were him you would have divorce papers thrown in your face the moment I got back. That’s so wrong to do it behind his back!!! Not to mention for the dog who did not ask for any of this or to be treated this way.

6 Likes

I’d do it because I love my husband and he wanted me to be kind

5 Likes

Sounds like you’re not much of a team. His children… his dog. We’re supposed to give & take. I don’t know your situation, but maybe … just maybe the dog is good for your home… especially since daddy will be deployed - the doggo helps protect you all

15 Likes

Poor dog! :disappointed: you know they have feelings too!!? That poor dog is going to go where? A shelter? He will wonder what he had done wrong! To a new home that abuse him? He’ll again wonder why you didn’t love him and what he did wrong!!
You’re children will grow up with a life long partner! Would you get rid of his kids while he was gone too? I’m so sorry he went against you and got him but he’s also family now. Animals need to be treated right just as much as you and I

11 Likes

Wow , that’s something your husband wanted and cares about and you want to rehome it?? Petty af

5 Likes

I think it would be wrong to rehome the dog once he leaves. If I was your husband I would be pissed if I came back from deployment and my dog was gone! I understand having 2 young kids to care for but it’s not like your husband is going on a vacation he is going to work. And as you have said he isn’t a bad dog so what would be the problem and if you feel like it will be too much to let this dog out then hire a dog sitter to help

1 Like

When I was pregnant my husband got a bulldog and I wasn’t on board with it at all. She tore up our house. When I had my 2nd child he got a Great Dane and i simply couldn’t handle it with two kids in the mix and now two huge dogs. I re-homed the Great Dane and he was so angry about it but it made my life easier. You have to talk to him and come to a common ground or it’s going to affect your marriage. I wouldn’t re-home without his knowledge but definitely give him an ultimatum.

9 Likes

I don’t think you’re wrong for feeling the way you do. He knew you weren’t a dog person. I would find a home that you know is going to love the dog, but don’t hide it from your husband.

6 Likes

Both wrong. He was wrong for getting the dog when he knew you’d have a newborn and a two year old and he be deployed. Your wrong because you are trying to re-home the dog when he goes :unamused:. How about talk to him about how it’s to much on you and ask him to figure something out because you seriously won’t be able to care for two littles and a dog. Dogs need as much attention as a child. You both need to work on communication.

6 Likes

No, you don’t have to take care of something, he is Not going to be there to take care of himself!!

4 Likes

Okay this is hard. I see it from both sides!! He should have respected the fact you didn’t want it to begin with. That’s a big decision that shouldn’t have been mutual. However, now you have the dog. He’s fallen in love, your kids have probably fallen in love. I think it would be hard at this point. Maybe he’s struggling and needed the companionship? My hunny suffers from PTSD. He was military. And his dog is his support animal. He really does need him. So just talk to him about why he got the dog and where you guys can go from here.

1 Like

Wow you’re evil. Poor doggy and your poor husband! Poor kids too I can only imagine. Anyone that doesn’t like dogs. You deserve to be alone!

13 Likes

Yes you’re wrong. If my significant other got rid of my dog while I was away that’d be the end of that relationship! Also if you don’t like dogs, you probably aren’t a good person lol

6 Likes

I’m the odd one out I guess. My husband has a dog that I did not want. He worked full time and we were In a bad state in our relationship he moved out for a few days and I told him to take the dog with or he would come back to her gone. He never took her, so I surrendered her. He came back asked where she was I told him. He was upset but not grounds for divorce. He had her a few years as well. I have an ASD child, a few month old baby at the time

7 Likes

Tell him what you just asked us. I’m sure he’d consider it.

3 Likes

I would personally re-home with a newborn dogs can be very jealous and you don’t know history of dog x

6 Likes

Maybe he got the dog to protect you and the children while he’s not there

3 Likes

In my opinion yes… I’d never do that to my husband… I didn’t like snakes he loved them so I got
Him one… now we have 2… if you can’t do it while taking care of 2 kids to him that and ask him to get someone to care for it… but I believe it’s kinda selfish you won’t budge at all on it knowing your husband loves this dog…

1 Like

All I’m getting from this is… What kind of person doesn’t like dogs?! :confused:

9 Likes

If I returned back from deployment to find out my spouse rehomed my dog, I would divorce them. What’s the deal with the dog, why do you not want it?? You have to compromise in a marriage, and without the full story or background info, you just sound bitter about your husband wanting something you didn’t.

67 Likes

Hire a dog walker on His behalf and pay it with his money

I would divorce you in an instant if you pulled that! Going behind his back and getting rid of his dog? Do you expect he’s gonna be all smiles and ok with it when he gets back? He’s gonna go hunt his dog down and hopefully ditch you!

9 Likes

As a military wife, I will say I get it. I’d feel the way. This is something you need to tell him you are going to do. Another option is asking another spouse in his unit to home the dog while he’s gone.

2 Likes

Learn to love the dog as you do your husband or leave. That’s a really low blow and would definitely be like a slap in the face for him to come home too. If you can’t do so leave. Your relationship shouldn’t be based on a dog.

4 Likes

Probably got the dog so you have some protection while he is away. Why would you rehome plenty of people raise kids and manage the animals. I was high risk pregnancy had 3 dogs a cat and a horse that I still cared for when my husband went away for work. Once you get into a routine it will be easy for you. I don’t think you understand the harm and adjustment period dogs go through from being rehomed its not fair to them.

2 Likes

Maybe ask him to find a family member or friend who can care for the dog while he’s away so it doesn’t put stress on you with a newborn on the way.

1 Like

Id rehome you! Anyone that doesn’t like animals has issues

12 Likes

I’m going to go the other direction. As long as you properly rehome the dog. Not just dump it at the humane society then NTA. but you do need to tell him you are going to do this. Don’t do it behind his back. He should have never brought a pet into the home knowing that his partner did not want it and he wouldn’t be here to take care of it. Especially with small children involved.

8 Likes

How would you feel if you came home and your husband had rehomed YOUR dog that YOU wanted and he DIDNT. You would probably flip shit. So communicate because you tossing the pet out is asking for a argument. Men aren’t mind readers and neither are we but we can’t just act because we THINK we know how our partner will react…COMMUNICATE

it is his dog it will protect you and your family as if it was your dog give it some love and care

2 Likes

Yes it would be wrong. He should have asked but him deploying isn’t the same as just not taking care of it. I understand that it’s not fair to you especially being so pregnant but if you get rid of his dog, be ready for the damage you’re doing to your relationship

3 Likes

Should have never let him bring it home then. This poor animal. :cry: i litterally can’t stand people who pull this :poop:. Now that poor dog has to feel neglected. Stupid. Just stupid. And not to mention selfish.

7 Likes

Maybe ask him to get a indoor and outdoor kennel and kennel train it, and also put the dog in puppy training classes so it will be less of a burden on you and make sure the kennels are big enough so the puppy has room to move around and grow

Damn I feel sorry for the dog. Dogs are wonderful and deserve love. If you cant or wont give this dog the love it deserves than YES find a good home for his dog. Tell your husband how you feel and work together to find a home asap.

1 Like

Someone sounds extremely entitled and that is the NICEST thing I can say about this question. We have a whole universe and believe it or not there is a giant ball of gas that it revolves around…… just in case this person thought it was all about them :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

If it’s a good dog like you say and good with your little one already, then honestly what’s the big deal?! You need to feed/water and take the dog for walks. You have to feed/water and should go for walks to keep yourself healthy and help clear your mind. A dog is no different then a child, other than having fur and 4 legs! Grow up or have the balls to confront him with your plan so he can find someone who is loyal to him and will take good care of his dog while he is gone!

1 Like

A dog is a man’s best friend. I’d be devastated to now my dog has been given away without my knowledge. Please speak with your husband.

I had 3 children under 4, a dog and a cat. My husband worked 12+ hours a day. He would leave at 10am and sometimes not get home until midnight. Plus, you said it’s a good dog, so what is wrong with letting it in and out to potty, making sure it has food and water and giving it a little attention? It can easily be done. Women/Men do it every day with kids. I know you are probably feeling overwhelmed with the idea of having to take care of your kids by yourself, but believe it or not, a pet can be very calming and help with that worry/anxiety. No matter what you do though, don’t rehome that dog while he is gone. That’s absolutely horrible.

1 Like

Naw he wanted it lol he cant just leave the responsibility on you especially with little ones. I would be upset and honestly I would probably try to take care of the dog. Is he potty trained? Have your hubby build and outdoor house and fence

2 Likes

This is really sad.
How do you thing your hubby is going to feel when he gets home and his dog is gone??
Dogs really arent that difficult to care for! I bet you if you just try you will see that that dog might even become your comfort when you miss hubby!
Plus a little extra protection is always good.

Looks like he needs to re-home you

7 Likes

They have places for military to take dogs while they deploy

You would be very selfish.

1 Like

I understand your frustration. In the same respect, it would not be right to rehome the dog while hubby is away. It is something that needs to be discussed and come to a compromise. Maybe find a friend to car for the dog while he is away.

2 Likes

If someone got rid of any of my babies they would be out the door faster than they could run .

4 Likes

Yes. I understand not wanting one, I myself don’t but I wouldn’t do that to someone I loved whether I liked the animal or not. I’m more of a cat person and if my cat was gone when I got back like that then you would be to. Co parenting it is.

1 Like

I see alot of if you don’t like dogs your not a good person :unamused: I don’t like dogs and I’m a good person I think :sweat_smile: … But yes your wrong if you do that I would leave you. I would leave my husband if he got rid of my cat

3 Likes

If this dog means a lot to him, the biggest mistake you’ll make, is getting rid of the dog. And don’t get mad when he wants a divorce🤷🏻‍♀️ at this point, it’s your fault.

7 Likes

Your husband depends on you too keep safe what he leaves behind even the dog. Talk to him about your concerns

1 Like

No wonder he’s deploying prob got for 2 yr old so he would have a compassionate companion. Plz do regime it deserves a Chance.

1 Like

And here I am 2 years later with a dog my husband brought home after we already had two fog so now we have three dogs four snakes and a bearded dragon and I still kept my husband lol

1 Like

If he can’t have someone take care of the dog then tell him to re home it before he leaves

5 Likes

If he comes home to his dog being rehomed you might become a single mother not everything is about you. Evil ass lady

Your husband needs to figure this out himself…maybe a foster til he gets back from deployment? But just getting rid of dog while he is away would be awful

The Dog May save your life or your children’s lives one day… The Are Loyal to The People Who They Love.

2 Likes

Yes it would be wrong for you to re-home the dog while he’s deployed.

1 Like

100% wrong! I get you don’t like it but it’s still part of the family.

1 Like

Absolutely your wrong for that

1 Like

Yes and you are being very selfish.

4 Likes

I think you need to rehome it, only to a good home. Sounds as if you don’t want to care for the dog as it should be cared for. Give it to someone who will love it & care properly for it.

2 Likes

As much as you dislike having the dog, its 100% wrong to rehome it without consulting your husband.

1 Like

I’m 8 months pregnant, I have a 9 year old, I also watch my 5 year old niece and 2 year old nephew as well as work on my feet 25-30 hours a week at a store down the road, and I have 2 dogs and 4 cats. Seems to me like you need to be a bit more open.

6 Likes

Well mayb he is thinking ahead of the game. A Dog in the house is a protector for you and his kids and myb he sees that the dog will alert you of things that can easily b missed. I love my furbabies. They r my everything n they do let me know when things are goin on before i see it.

Yeah. Don’t do that please. :skull:

I get you don’t like dogs but this is something that your husband wants and getting rid of it behind his back is totally not okay. I get that he’s not going to be there for a while but dogs aren’t that difficult. Just feed them and give them water and play with them for 5 minutes a day at the bare minimum. We just got a new puppy. My husband really didn’t want one but he knew that I did so he agreed. That’s what you do in marriages, compromise.

Yes it would be wrong. He’s going off to risk his life to defend our country n if that dog brings him happiness whether u ever wanted it or not I think you could quit being so self centered and love the dog because he loves it. I don’t think it’s much to ask compared to what he’s going off to do for you and for everyone in this country.

5 Likes

Why are y’all bashing this woman? I’m sorry but I would not want to care for something that I’ve made very clear that I don’t want. Especially if she’s 9 months pregnant, and he’s getting deployed? Yeah no I would definitely rehome that dog. Plus why would you guys want a dog to stay somewhere that it’s not even wanted? Maybe it can have better owners that actually love it.

7 Likes

That would ruin my marriage. I get it. I truly do. I took on a German. Shepard puppy for a deployment while raising our kids, full time work and school. I didn’t want to but I knew what it meant to him. In relationships you’ve got to sacrifice and sometimes get uncomfortable.

They have programs where service members can leave their dogs with a foster family, I’d suggest y’all look into one of them,