Would it be wrong to force a 7 year old on a plane?

I wouldn’t Even Allow him To think that was a Opinion… He is 7! I would Talk to him and try and sort it out…

8 Likes

it’s not about dismissing his feelings… it’s about making the decision for whatever many reasons that children dont understand… maybe they Cant drive, maybe their car isnt good enough to make the trip, maybe they don’t have the time driving would take,maybe the parent has a fear or long term driving… there can be Lots of reasons flying is the option they chose… you can’t let the Child make the big decisions because they dont Want to… even if hes scared, sometimes being a parent it teaching them to be brave and face their fears, while comforting them and letting them knows things will be ok… Not coddling them and letting them dictate things… life is difficult, and sometimes you gotta do things you dont want to or aren’t comfortable with… children need to know this and need to learn how to deal with that🤷‍♀️

6 Likes

Yes. Their feelings are important.

1 Like

There’s probably a reason why he’s refusing. I’d find out why he doesn’t want to fly and if he’s adamant, try to explore other options (driving, adults only vacation, drug them with something to make them calm, etc.)

So …if your 7 year old is afraid of the doctor, what do you do? Refuse to take him to doctor, or let him be sick? If your 7 year old is afraid of the dentist, do you not take him and let his teeth fall out? He is 7…and should not run the show…

22 Likes

Family vacations are supposed to be fun for the WHOLE FAMILY not traumatizing
I 100% agree with the “you’re the parent” sentiment for normal parenting situations like making them eat vegetables, do chores, go to school (things that are in the child’s best interest) but it’s a big fat NO for me when it comes to forcing them to do extra stuff like sports, being friends with people they don’t like, or forcing them to do things that they are legitimately scared of
I mean you wouldn’t force your arachnophobic child to get a tarantula because your family wants a pet would you?

4 Likes

People are so afraid to “traumatize” a child by enforcing rules and holding them accountable. Is he really afraid of planes or just not wanting to go? Has he been on a plane before? If not, he might like it (my 6 year old was so excited).
Either way, I wouldn’t give him a choice. He is not the decision maker, he is a child.
Talk to him about his feelings, his fears, his reasons why he doesn’t want to go. Try to fix the route of the problem instead of dismissing the plane all together.

10 Likes

Benadryl was recommended by my kids doctor 2 ease anxiety

3 Likes

Make it a fun time .

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Would it be wrong to force a 7 year old on a plane? - Mamas Uncut

You’re the parent… you make the rules. It’s okay to be afraid of flying. Most people are. But I’d tell him that today we’re facing our fears! Basically, it’s not a choice. But make it into something to be brave for.

4 Likes

My kids enjoyed the train when they were little.

Just has to be done lol I’m yes with this

I’m afraid of Floridians too

3 Likes

My kids have never been afraid to fly, but I have bribed my son on several occasions with a new toy if he behaved through some long flights

1 Like

You would have to tie me up, blind fold me and knock me out. My feet stays on the ground

Ask the airport to have a new passenger visit.

He can walk around it. Have a. Look on a plane.

He afraid poor thing. Encourage him not force him

Say right. I need to tell you about the travelling. Plane story

Make a story up about how a little girl just like him. Was scared to go but explain everything even the ears popping and why that happens

But suck mints and doesn’t work.

—. Show him boarding videos. So he noes what to expect.

It’s quite scary to child he probably noes what a plane is buy doesn’t no you can fly on one. I no my kid wudnt. He tell me I’m lying lol.

But don’t land on them you need build his confidence as mum. Or dad. Maybe your a dad.

But as a mum your baby needs you to kill off his anxietys.

Start letting him save euros to spend. Also. Build the excitement up a little let him pick a few holiday clothes.

Take his fav teddy. — for comfort. It blanket both my children are 6-10 now and both still this day have there baby blankets over teddy’s. X

I think it would not be right to force him. And it may ruin the trip for all of you

2 Likes

I mean what else are you supposed to do. I guess you can try to make it seem fun or bribe him but the end result is a Florida vacation so it will just reward him for getting on the plane.

1 Like

You are the boss mommy. Not the 7 year old.

1 Like

I don’t understand this. Who is the parent? Who is the adult?
I have 3. That one could sit his happy ass at a babysitter for the week wishing he was having fun with his family on vacation.
Choices have good consequences and bad consequences.
You can teach him that or the world will.

2 Likes

No it’s not wrong. He needs to go with his family just try to make it as calm and easy for him as possible and it will help him are that there is nothing to be scared of and maybe it could help him get over his fear.

My grandson is afraid of everything. My daughter and son in law canceled a trip todallas bc he.was too afraid to fly.

Don’t go then… simple

Unfortunately if the family is getting on a plane then the child must get on the plane…

You’re the parent but for the sake of the other passengers, if he’s going to scream and cry the whole time please don’t.

4 Likes

Um no. That’s not wrong

Maybe ask the doctor for something to relax him :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Can you sit down and talk to him about why he’s scared or not wanting to go
If he’s just nervous I’d give him dramamine or Benadryl on the plane to help calm him down

Aye. If my children was afraid Todo something o wudnt force them. I quite the opposite me. I hate flying.

So doesn’t matter to me.

But not just a day out isit.

Maybe he got a nanna he can stay with have his own holiday.

I glad your listening to your son though. That a good parent. !! WWE can’t just expect children to absorb and take on everything. If I said I’m peircing your inner ear :ear: in minute your be scared nervous.

Two many people expect children to be adult ish.

He seven a baby still. He frightened. Scared.

I think you need start some 101 chats. Just you two. About what a holiday is and flying. And. Don’t even mention anything bad that could go wrong.

Why people do that jynx it.

He’s seven he won’t no about that. And he shudnt

Why is he refusing? If he’s scared I think you should consider a different mode of transportation. If he screams while on the plane, it’s unfair to the other passengers. If he starts screaming before take off, there’s a good chance you’d get thrown off the plane.

Tell him if he doesnt go with everyone else, he must stay home. HE IS 7…
Come on parents, who is in charge u or him. If its him, he will always be in charge as he grows.

13 Likes

Is it wrong to force a kid in the car?

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Would it be wrong to force a 7 year old on a plane? - Mamas Uncut

I would talk to him you guys are flying and sometimes you have to do things you don’t want to do

3 Likes

Then arrange for him to stay home with a family member. But if he panics on a plane, the whole family will be put off. So find out the issue and try to deal or leave him home.

2 Likes

I’m torn here. Honestly it depends on why they’re scared. Is it because it’s their first time, or because they’re genuinely petrified of planes or heights?

2 Likes

Why would you force your child to do anything? If he doesn’t want to get on a plane dont make him, see if a family member can watch him. If someone tried to force me onto a plane I’d be in jail with assault charges :woman_shrugging: im petrified of planes. It doesn’t matter (whos boss) their could be plenty of reasons your son doesn’t want to get on a plane. Maybe he is scared of them like I am. Ill be damned if I force my kid to do anything especially getting on a plane that early in age

We ended up driving for that reason. I realize I could have forced him but wasn’t really looking for a scene out of Rain Man at DTW.

1 Like

This is tough. I’d call the pediatrician and see if there are any suggestions or short term medications that can be prescibed like they do for adults who are afraid to fly.

2 Likes

It is important to bear in mind who the adult/parent is.

1 Like

Benadryl on a night flight🤷🏽‍♀️

5 Likes

He might be doing it for attention or genuinely scared. I remember feeling uneasy on my first plane ride but it was exciting cuz my family was there. My mom gave us :headphones: headphones and music it was cool to look at the night sky outside and the clouds. We would all hold hands on take off and landing. Anyways with the fun of it I got over it and actually ended up flying a 2 man plane at age 12 with my uncle which was an incredible experience. Let him know how fun it’s gonna be. And if all else fails, ask the doctor if you can dose him with something that will calm him :heart: you are the parent, he’s the child. He doesn’t get to refuse this one.

1 Like

My daughter was afraid of flying until she did. Then she loved it. She was afraid of boats until she went on one. I just tell her to give things a try she could miss out on so many things she could love if she let’s fear control her life.

1 Like

if you traumatize your kid for a boujie ass vacation lmao I’m judging you

I also refuse to fly I don’t have wings I can swim all day but not fly I’ll take a boat

Than find a sitter … Ur the parent!

Just FYI if you get to the gate and the child is fighting and screaming they won’t even let you on the plane.
Airlines do not like disturbances so if they are big enough to fight you they will not let them on the plane if they are freaking out.

1 Like

So is the child in charge or are u in charge?

3 Likes

Go to his doctor explain the situation and see if they can give him something to maybe help him sleep while he’s on the plane. Or just get kids melatonin and give him some before you go.

Talk and find out why. Get a tour of an airport and plane if possible.
There are some restrictions about forcing people on a plane Ask before you reply
Talk to your son’s doctor about meds

1 Like

Oh man. I’d refuse too. His age multiplied by 6 :rofl:

He’s seven. He’s going.

If he causes trouble they will kick you all off.

7 and he’s absolutely refusing?? Get your big mama panties on and take control of your child

Let him meet and talk to the pilot.

Keep in mind… if this child flat out refuses n becomes violent while boarding the plane or after boarding, your family will be removed. Also, if your child screams the entire flight, your whole family will be placed on the no fly list. Which will result in finding a different way to return home.

Understand his feelings but discuss to him the safety of planes, show videos, ask him what makes him nervous. Also there are other ways to get to florida like train and car which “arent as scary” as planes.

phew. I fear for some of the children y’all are raising. yes~ you are the adult in this situation. but your child is still a human being with valid feelings. if he’s just being difficult, then you give him the option of coming or staying home with a babysitter while y’all are gone. restrict what he can and cannot do since y’all won’t be there to supervise or approve of anything. if he’s genuinely afraid of getting on the air plane (I flew for the second time at 19 years old and was extremely anxious- it’s common. flying is not normal for humans)- then you talk through those anxieties or find another route. y’all need to stop invalidating your kids and their feelings. it’s just teaching them to clam up and be distant. psychologically messing up your children. :woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

A better question is why would it be wrong???

it may he a rough ride for you, them and everyone else on the flight if you do and may scare them from every doing it again. But hopefully they get over it once they’re on? try to get their favorite snacks, movies, books, games, music etc Make a special bag for them or something to make it better. Talk up the fun parts?

10 Likes

Give him a melatonin. Hes too young for a double gin and tonic.

8 Likes

You are the parent, he is a child…

19 Likes

I was scared to go on the plane, I got left home with a relative. We had to learn the reaction to our actions. I never skipped a trip again and got over my fears. My parents didn’t ever plan around us. I don’t plan around my daughter either. She is grown now and has learned the consequences to her actions as well. She has her own car and license and will take off to drive to meet us if necessary. If you have gone over all the medical type reasons and it is mental, they make the decision. Take lots of pictures, ask if they want to see. Bring back stuff they would like.

1 Like

You’re the parent. LOL

13 Likes

Honestly I was scared to fly at that age but we still did it. I got over my fear flying alone at 11/12. Best to just do it and encourage them that they are doing a good job

3 Likes

Airports are incredible places these days. Plenty of things for a 7 year old to do for a few weeks. Just pick him up on the way back or if you’re lucky by then another family might have claimed him and you’ll be free to enjoy airline travel without the hassle.

9 Likes

You know children have feelings just like we do.I have always had a fear of heights and that’s something I may never get over and I’m a 65 year old woman.I don’t believe just because a child has a fear of something they should be forced to do somethi their afraid of.Who knows what that could do to a child’s mind.Talk to your child.Thats your child.

3 Likes

The psychologist in me says to talk with him and be a stern parent. The psychiatrist in me says give him drugs…either way…he’s getting on that plane.

8 Likes

Sit down quietly wiith him, one on one and find out what his fears are. Once you know, you can calmly discuss his fears. DO NOT minimize his fears, they are very real to him. Let him know you will be with him the entire time.

2 Likes

Our son didn’t like crowds and he didn’t like travel so he often opted to stay with Grandma.
One child’s needs that can be handled in an appropriate way should not dictate what the whole family does… or does not do.

13 Likes

Not wrong at all. They’ll be scared of many things in life that they’ll have to overcome and they may end up loving planes.

6 Likes

I told my kids they could refuse something IF they could convince me they were right but in the end I was the boss. Had a few discussions with my son and a few times changed my mind. I gives a person a chance to see how their minds work.

3 Likes

Try and get to the root of the problem with councillors, I think he could have some type of anxiety going on. I was a flight attendant and have never witnessed a child being scared or refusing to get on a plane, plenty adults though.

3 Likes

Sure talk to them. Maybe even get them some relaxers from the doctor. But ultimately you are the parent. You are in change. Children don’t get to make decisions about where they go or what they do sometimes. And that is just life. At this age I would talk to her and left her know it’s going to happen and to suck it up. Even at ten when my daughter doesn’t want to try something new I will her no. Life is about trying new things and learning to enjoy experiences. If you feed in to the fear as a kid they will be an adult with fears instead of an adult who enjoys their life and takes in new challenges with excitement.

3 Likes

Go over the safety facts with him and without scaring him, explain the driving statistics also, and if you are a Christian then let him know God will be with him.

5 Likes

One way to help along the talk with ur little boy is to sit with him and write a story about a child going on1st flight. He is the author & artist… U are the scribe… (Not the editor)
He gets full expression and by stating the fear aloud… As happening to the story’s character… The fear can fade bec shared and outed.
At least then u will understand what’s going on.
(I used this after we had a fire at our house and my daughter was very scared at even the steam from veggies afterwards. All looked like scary smoke to her.)

4 Likes

Talk with airlines and see if he can get a tour of the cockpit. And see the pilots. That might be helpful.

5 Likes

I think a child at the age of 7 is too young to make decisions. He can tell u how he feels & u can address it in a stern but calm way. If he’s scared just give him something to keep him busy on plane. A child at that age is just that; a child. You’re his parent & not his friend. If u have to go somewhere he goes too because he’s too young to make decisions for himself. As a parent it’s your job to do that for him. Just sayin’ :woman_shrugging::heavy_check_mark::100:

7 Likes

This reminds me of a story we heard about a child who was afraid to fly. As they took off, he tearfully asked his Mom, “ When do we start getting smaller?”

2 Likes

Why does this not address his emotions? He’s a person, with feelings. I flew from Germany to the US at the age of 9. It was scary for sure. Maybe ask him about his feelings and then explain to him that you’ve flown before, and at first it seems scary, but it gets better. My 8 year old is scared of heights, so he’d probably be scared. I know adults who’ve never flown because it scares them. We all have fears, and their feelings are valid.

4 Likes

First of all talk to him. Find out if he actually has a legit fear or if he’s just being a kid. Sometimes feelings can overwhelm kids. But if he is just being thst way cause he just doesn’t want to be on the plane then reason with him. Your the adult. Your in charge. In the end if you feel he truly has an issue im sorry to me I would not force him.i would help him try to understand his feelings.

6 Likes

idk im terrified of flying so i wouldnt…maybe talk to them and really figure out why they dont want to fly and maybe you can work on it with them before your trip

11 Likes

I think in moments like this, some things aren’t a choice.

4 Likes

Parenting shouldn’t be about controlling your child? That’s how we all ended up in therapy :roll_eyes:. If you force the child without understanding why he feels the ways he does— he’s learned nothing other than his feeling don’t matter when it comes to a person in charge…

3 Likes

Can can refuse all they want at 7 just pick them up and carry them on lol

6 Likes

That seven year old is not the parent you are

5 Likes

He’s 7 for gods sake! He’s a child and is obviously scared and extremely anxious about flying! What is needed here is to get to the root cause of this anxiety and have an honest and open discussion with him find out his worries and anxieties on regards to flying. Then make suggestions on how to over come them and make him comfortable enough to get on the flight! Why would you want to FORCE your child to do anything they are clearly scared of? Unless it’s something 100% NEEDED such a medicinal purposes. Why on earth would you WANT to traumatise you’re own kid? For the sake of how you want a holiday putting that before you’re own kids feelings!! And to those saying just leave him behind :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: that’s cruel punishing him because he has a fear :woman_facepalming:t2: honestly shouldn’t be parents if you’re happy to make your kid feel like shit!! If he still isn’t happy to fly find and alternative travel to get there I personally wouldn’t have booked flights knowing He’s that anxious and may not get on the plane. Wheres the inclusion of this poor kid? Seems nobody is taking into account his feelings at all. What a shame poor boy :broken_heart:

2 Likes

You know your child better than anyone else. Is there a risk of your child having a full blown panic attack or causing such a scene that they will refuse to allow boarding or having to make an emergency landing? If these scenarios are a possibility then I wouldn’t even try.
Talk to the child, try to find the root of the problem. If you can’t fix the problem (with talking or medication), then you need to decide if you get someone to take care of the child while you go or do you not go.
I was on a plane when I was young that caught fire, you couldn’t get me back on a plane for a very long time. I do fly now, but not very well

2 Likes

If the 7 yr old duznt want to go on your holiday can he stay with someone else ? But yes he is 7 u should probly just be telling him what’s happening. Has he been on a plane before ?

1 Like

I too was scared of planes. Went on a field trip in 3rd grade and they turned the engine on and noone knows who got off first…me or the teacher! That was in 57. My dad was killed in one in 69, so I never have and will never get on another. Talk to him and find out what scares him about it. Good luck and God bless!

1 Like

I wouldn’t call that forcing. I’d call it parenting. Especially if you have purchased tickets and are at the gate! If not, get some books on airplanes and intrigue him! Also, if I told either of my children to do something, they did it. They were allowed to ask questions and express concerns but not refuse to do what I told them to do. They are adults and in law enforcement now.

1 Like

Is there a reason why he is so resistant? I would sit down & talk with him & try to assess what is scaring him so much. Start there. Hopefully you can figure out why & work within his fears. Has he ever flown? A bad experience or a family member/friend relayed a bad experience?

2 Likes

I would explain to him exactly what to expect…take off, landing, turbulence, ears popping the strange feeling ad the plane descends and the landing that can be scary…talk him through every step and try to make it fun…i am a pediatric nurse and I find if you are honest and matter of fact with children they do very well! Good luck! Hops you guys have a great trip!

A Greyhound trip will cure that problem.
Be sure to pin his ticket to his shirt.

3 Likes

My grandson also balked at getting on a plane for the first time but once he did he loved it. You can’t cave in every time a child refuses something. How will they ever learn??

1 Like

The thing is he might not understand anything about the plane- find out why his fear is and discuss it, Break it down and unpack it. Make sure he knows the bonus of what he gets in florida too.

maybe he had a bad dream about it or a past bad experience. He may be afraid to tell you that he is just afraid. Adults have to have therapy to get over some anxiety or fears, why not a child?

1 Like

Ask him why…maybe he’s scared, in which case work with him on it. Show him photos of aircraft interiors. Watch TV shows or movies that involve flying. Watch some of Sam Chui’s or Paul Stewart’s YouTube videos together where they go on different aircraft and different airlines and compare them, this way your son will be able to see everything that happens on the plane.

I remember being scared to fly the first time back when I was 5…but once we were up in the air it was literally love at first flight. I’ve loved flying, and loved planes ever since.

1 Like