Would you lie for your spouse?

Would you lie for your significant other? Say, if they lost a job but ARE GOING BACK and said they don’t want you telling someone (their sister) would you? If you promised them? Or is it wrong to lie? In my eyes, your family is the most important thing to you. Your children and SO. No one else… anyone agree?

8 Likes

If he says dont tell noone i dont :100:

Well idk. I’m kinda too honest. I don’t know the whole story and idk that I could lie unless it was trying to ruin him. In that case she should be cut off period.

My husband and I dont lie to eachother and if that means keeping a secret that that’s what I’ll do. Plus it isnt your place to tell his sister

4 Likes

You back your spouse 100%

2 Likes

No i wouldnt it isnt your job to tell . especially that it is not on your side of the family but his. And yes family is TECHNICALLY most important but that doesnt mean he has to tell EVERYONE whats going on

If it’s definite he’s going back, it’s really no one else’s business anyways

2 Likes

Not my family. Not my business. I’m with my partner not his family. I have HIS back. Not theirs. So no I wouldn’t say anything.

2 Likes

I would. My husband is #1 in my book, comes before anyone and everyone else (except the children) and id do anything he asks within reason

My personal view is unless it’s going too affect anyone elase in the family then you only need be Tell people who it’s affecting but other then that you don’t need lie about things just be honest about what’s happening but it it’s not going too affect the sister or other then I don’t see the point in them need too know

Depends on if it’s anyone’s business- it’s not his sisters business therefore I’d omit telling her. If he robbed a bank, it’s someone’s business

2 Likes

It’s his family and his sister and he asked you not to tell so dont

Unless he committed murder of course I’d lie for him… well even then it just depends on who it was :joy:

6 Likes

If you promised don’t tell and if he’s going back he didn’t really loose it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t lie, but if they don’t ask I wouldn’t just tell them either. It’s not anyone else’s business. 🤷

Yes. He’s obviously trusting you to keep this between the two of you. If he wanted his sister to know, he would tell her. He’s not asking you to lie, he’s just asking you not to say anything yet. Don’t lose that trust between you and him. It’s hard to get back.

3 Likes

If you promised him you wouldn’t tell why would you even think about breaking a promise to your husband? And what is his job any of his sisters business? I personally wouldnt say anything to anyone its not anyones business! Also if you have a problem with him asking you to lie or to not tell people things maybe you should discuss that with him as well!

4 Likes

Why does it matter? It’s no ones business.

1 Like

That’s his sister and hes my husband. If he didnt want me telling her I wouldn’t. I would probably still tell my mom because I do that lol

1 Like

I wouldn’t tell my sister in law anything. So if I had to lie to her, yes I would

1 Like

Its none of thier business. If he doesnt want them to know he has a reason for it. This is the stupid shit that causes marriages to end.

No. It’s no one’s business what my husband does. I wouldn’t say anything.

What would you gain by telling or lying? Who would it help or hurt? Seriously just because you know something doesn’t make it your life - it’s the other persons.

In my opinion it’s not your family it’s not your place and also your spouse is someone you will have for life regardless of either one of your families it’s you guys life not there’s!

1 Like

I mean it’s none of his sister’s business if he goes back to a job or not. So yeah. I would lie in that case.

1 Like

What? Is this a serious question?

Why would the sister care if he is going back to a job? Unless maybe it’s illegal?

1 Like

Yeah, sure. That’s a small lie. Not sure why my husband would need to lie about something like that. But yeah, I’ll lie.

I do it all the time.

Obviously he doesn’t want his sister knowing so dont tell her

1 Like

It’s his place to answer questions regarding his employment. And technically he doesn’t owe that to anybody other than his partner who he’s helping provide for

1 Like

It’s not really anyone else’s business but you and your spouse if he wanted some one to know hed tell them.himself. for you go want to go and talk about it,it just seems like gossiping

3 Likes

Yes I would lie if he doesn’t want you telling them it’s honestly none of their business.

2 Likes

Somethings stay within a marriage.

3 Likes

As long as you dont lie to each other I really dont get how this is an issue. I’m all for honestly but if my husband says dont say anything then I dont. Maybe because he knows the sister may lecture or mad for no reason since he got the job back so it wouldn’t matter anyways. I just dont see why it would bother someone so much to ask. If you are asked not to say anything then you dont. My husband is an honest man. But pride gets the best at men sometimes and this could be a valid reason. When you are married the spouse really shouldn’t say anything anyways even to other family about anything going on in your lives. Just my opinion

1 Like

As long as he’s not doing anything illegal or harmful, I’d lie my butt off for my husband.

3 Likes

I don’t care what it is my husband has done, 100% I’m lying for him. Your always supposed to have your spouses back and vice versa. As long as he isn’t doing anything to harm our family I’m there

2 Likes

Do you want drama?
In this situation I would definitely lie for him but no I would not 100% lie for my husband unquestionably like some of the women in the comments. I had a friend do that for her boyfriend in high school and now we have a sex offender running around my town does not convicted thanks to her.

My #1 loyalty and respect is to my spouse.

If he requested you not tell her then I wouldn’t. Its none of her business.

1 Like

While its no ones business the REAL question is why would he want to hide it from family? Is she crazy? Causes problems, etc…if so then mums the word

yes lying is wrong. But you nor anyone have to bring the subject up either. So don’t say anything & then you won’t have to lie :slight_smile: If they ask you, just say it’s not your place & it isn’t. Again that is not a lie

It’s not really a lie? you’re just selectively omitting the information you divulge with other people. I would respect my husband’s wishes. If my husband killed someone & expected me to lie, I wouldn’t. But if he wants to keep the job private for a while, I’d respect that

1 Like

Just don’t mention it then you won’t have to explain anything. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

If my husband doesn’t want me telling something to someone, then i don’t tell them. Plain and simple

3 Likes

Why tell ur business

1 Like

Firstly, is she asking you if he lost his job? Or are you volunteering the information to her? There’s a difference between lying for and telling on LOL. But if my significant other had a family that wasn’t very understanding of him or if I had a family that wasn’t very understanding of him, most definitely I would lie for him. As long as the truth is that he is going back to his job and that he didn’t lose it because of something he did wrong, then there’s no reason why you shouldn’t lie to protect his integrity. But if you don’t feel comfortable lying about something, then all you have to do is tell them to talk to him about it.

1 Like

I would lie for him absolutely. I would not lie to him, but if he asked me to lie to someone else about something I would. (Within reason, I dont think I could lie about something illegal and dangerous for example)

2 Likes

Keep your business between the two of you period saying something after he asked you not to is a good way to ruin the trust between the two of you

2 Likes

Yes, I would lie to anyone for my spouse UNLESS it was to hurt my children.
Id lie like a rug and ask God for forgiveness later.

3 Likes

First I don’t understand why that’s even her business to begin with. But yes, you’re supposed to support and have your spouses back, that goes both ways, and I would hope you would do whay you can for them and what they want you to do.

1 Like

I defended my ex unconditionally while I was married to him, it’s what a wife does and we expect the same from them and really it’s none of any one else’s business what is going on with your spouse but yours

2 Likes

Yes. You lie for your spouse unless they have committed a serious crime you dont rat them out. Period

2 Likes

That’s my husband. If says he doesn’t want his sister knowing, then his sister won’t know. Period.

2 Likes

In my opinion if he asked you to keep it quiet then KEEP IT QUIET!!! I don’t understand why you would want to or feel the need to tell anyone “the truth” if he doesn’t feel the need to tell them. Sister or not. I agree family is MOST important, an that narrative changes a little as people grow up an start adding to said family. My experience is priority family wise is my 3children #1 regardless no matter what, #2 my wife, #3 grand parents, my mother/father and sisters/brothers #4 everyone else, aunts uncles cousins nephew/niece’s. Now with that said as an adult no I don’t feel the need to let numbers #3/#4 know what I have going on in my day to day life. Lose a job, yea I mite let it out or tell Mom or Dad but then again I mite just wait until I have a new job. Say you started breast feeding your child right after birth, the unforeseen circumstances forced you or made you find other options of feeding baby, say your nipples constantly hurt an your breast always sore an you decide to give up an just feed baby formula, but you know people are going to ask questions as to why you change
to formula or why you decided to not breast feed after say 2weeks after birth( either way, hypotheticaly speaking). An you just really didn’t want to explain yourself to whoever is asking questions about it or you just don’t want your mom/dad/ sister/brother, to know exactly what is going on an tell your husband to tell anyone that asks that baby just didn’t take to breast feeding. Would you be mad if he tell your family Exactly what happened

1 Like

Don’t air his dirty laundry…

If they ask say he taking on a different career or he was laid off.

1 Like

Not being funny but it’s not a serious, life- changing lie and it’s none of his sister’s business. If it effected her sure but it doesn’t. I’d lie for my husband in this case. There’s a reason he doesn’t want her knowing.

4 Likes

Dont say anything if you arent asked🤷🏻‍♀️

1 Like

You don’t need to lie, just don’t say anything. If you promised not to say anything, keep the promise. No need to lie, just don’t bring up the subject.

If he doesn’t want it mentioned then yeah I won’t tell them. Its between you and him not anyone else.

Don’t EVER throw your SO under the bus, my husband did that to me and it caused MAJOR issues! You guys are a team!

my family still thinks I’m working. I quite my job the last week of October, my bday was the 5th of Nov. They still think I work. My hubby to be works with the City and said that I could be a stay at home mom. I’m still thinking about how it’ll be possible for me to earn some money, like walk a few dogs every day or something. but yea, my family or his family don’t know I’m not working

Hell yeah i would!!! How is this even a question? It’s you and him against the World!

Not everything is everyone’s business. If my husband doesn’t want me to say anything about a job loss, I’d respect it and keep my mouth shut.

It’s us against the world. He’s my best friend and biggest supporter, I wouldn’t betray him, for anyone.

No lying is sin. Don’t accomplish anything

I wouldn’t say anything not necessary.my husband would never ask me to lie for him.or me him.

Just keep it and dont say anything… If no one are asking you, then just remain silent… Lying is different from answering a question with a correct answer… Just be a team and bear with him…

There’s literally a law where you don’t have to testify against your spouse. Yes, I would definitely lie for the love of my life. Probably cheat and steal too.

He told u that in confidence and if you break that it could end up impacting ur relationship, like him not telling u things and hiding information from you.

It’s nobody’s business. As long as he’s not breaking the law then lie lie lie.

My husband and I are ‘one’ person. I have gone to extreme lengths to protect him and his privacy. Would do it again, without question. Loyalty isn’t just a word I use in dialogue… it’s a lifestyle. If you’re unable to figure out how this works, perhaps this particular SO isn’t the right one for you.

1 Like

If she ain’t paying your Bill’s it’s none of her business, but if she is well then she deserves to know

Seems to me there is a whole lot more to this story. Are y’all indebted to his sister? I would never lie but I also would never gossip. If someone wants to know something about someone else, they should ask them directly.

I will ALWAYS have my husbands back! If I disagree, I make that loud and clear but behind closed doors. And he better have mine too!

6 Likes

It’s his business to tell. If he doesn’t want anyone to know you should definitely respect his decision.

1 Like

It’s no one else’s business if he lost his job even if he didn’t say “don’t tell” I wouldn’t.
Y’all are grown, that kind of info stays at home unless someone is offering a job.

I would keep something in confidence, but I wouldn’t lie. There’s a difference between the two.

Why is it anyones business if he goes back to work. If hes working it shouldnt matter where and i dont think its sisters business at all. I give 2 shits where my brothers work or if they work at all.

My husband IS my family, everyone else are relatives. Now, with that being said, it would be NONE of their business. That’ll be between me and my husband.

Always. Betraying your spouse’s privacy is one of the worst things you can do to a marriage.

Always back your spouse! I wouldn’t care what the topic was if he needed me to lie, cover for him or whatever it’s done, no questions asked!

4 Likes

If my husband doesn’t want someone to know something about our lives, you damn right I am not telling a soul. I won’t even lie, I just won’t tell them. Only if they asked would I lie. But our family doesn’t ask us randomly “so did Brian loose his job?” Lol. Unless someone spread rumours around.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t consider that a lie. If he doesn’t want someone knowing your business, then you keep it to yourself. If your sister asks tell her it’s none of her business

6 Likes

U didn’t say the sister asked if he lost the job. But if she did I would not lie for anyone, and no one should put me in that position including my husband

If my husband doesn’t want his business out there then I’m going to keep it to myself

1 Like

Since I don’t believe there is such a thing as “sin” lying is not a sin. But if my telling a lie would hurt someone else I would not lie. If my lie was not going to hurt someone else I have no problem keeping a secret. Not everyone needs to know everything. But I would draw a line at not telling about some things. I may not believe in sin but I do have a moral compass that I live by.

1 Like

I wouldn’t LIE for them BUT I also wouldn’t voluntarily give that Info out… If asked I would refer the sister to my husband and let him be the one to either tell her the truth or lie…

1 Like

Its no ones business, but you and your husband. I would respect his wishes.

Doesn’t matter what’s most important to you in this situation. Respect his wishes.

2 Likes

It’s not her business if he doesn’t want her to know. I wouldn’t lie for my husband if it meant enabling him, but if someone is just being nosy I’d just tell her it wasn’t her business.

1 Like

There’s a difference between lying for someone and just not talking about something with other people. If your husband wants his business put out there, let HIM put it out there.

3 Likes

If my husband doesn’t want me telling someone something, I’m not going to tell anyone. Simple as that.

5 Likes

What goes on in our lives is only God’s busines. No body else needs to know

Defer their questions to him.

Depends on what the lie is. If it is,something to do with harming someone or stealing something then no

I wouldn’t betray my husband with something that is literally none of anyone else’s business. If he asks me to keep something private I do, he comes first.

2 Likes

If your husband said don’t tell anyone and you PROMISED not to. . I don’t understand why you are even asking this question!!!

2 Likes

That’s not even a debate for me. Whatever he asks me to do for him is done.

1 Like

No. You stand by your spouse

1 Like

I’m not telling anyone shit it’s not their business