Would you not pick a baby name just because it's popular?

I picked somewhat common names for my kids and just messed with the spelling. Like Matti (maddi) and Ellianna (instead of Elliana) and I have. Jackson.

My daughter has a top ranked name for her birth year. But I chose it to honor her Mexican heritage. :slight_smile: her name is sofia. There is also Sophia. But, again traditional Spanish is fia. My son, not sure what his name ranks but his middle name ranks #1 for his birthday. Again. I did not choose popularity, his middle name is Liam in memory of my mom (Lia)

You choose whatever name you guys love. It’s your baby not anybody else’s :relaxed: those are both beautiful names :two_hearts:
The names I chose for my children while unique it’s not what I was going for I was looking for names I liked and once I saw my babies I knew I choose right

It’s not their kid…so why take on their opinion? Your the one who will be repeating it every day. not them 🤷

You could pick something uncommon and have it suddenly become the most popular name (happened to me when I named my oldest and same thing to my sister with her oldest). Just name your kid whatever you and your partner agree on.

1 Like

Two of my kids have popular names and I didn’t realize it until after they were born. It doesn’t bother me at all because I love their names! :blush:

Eventually unusual and uncommon names are gonna become popular. What can you do about it like you’re not gonna name your kid cheese. Pick the name you like and don’t let others discourage you !

Why do you care what other people think

Don’t listen to them. Never second guess yourself.

2 Likes

Then they don’t need to name their babies that.

1 Like

If you love a certain name use it! It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. If it’s not their baby, it’s not their business :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Some popular names are also classics. Olivia for example is a popular name that may rise and fall in popularity but will always be a classic. Olivia Madison is very pretty.

I personally don’t like such common names; My two year old is named Evergreen and my 1 month old is named Salem Marcellina, but you should just go with whatever you like!

I like the name Olivia or Alivia

I named my daughter Lillian she’s 6 now. Didn’t really hear it much where we live and now all of a sudden it’s everywhere. There are 3 different Lilly’s in her class

YOUR child, your name!

1 Like

Sure would. My husband wanted Olivia but it’s too popular for me.

It doesnt matter what other people think. It’s your baby. Name her what you’d like to name her. Those who think you need something unique can name THEIR children something not mainstream. Don’t let others influence you.

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t use a popular name but I dont think there is anything wrong with using a top 10 name. They’re beautiful names and used a lot for a reason.

You’ll know the right name for her. It doesn’t matter if it’s popular or not.

I personally chose to go with uncommon names for the simple fact I was always Nicole H. And it drove me nuts growing up :woman_shrugging: but whatever makes you guys happy is all that really matters

Stop!! Do what makes YOU happy. Although people mean well,in the end it lies with you and your desire

It’s your kid. Do what you want

I looked for a name that was uncommon but not unheard of.

I did. But I changed the spelling.

Your child, your choice. I loved the name Peyton from one tree hill so my nearly 4yo us peyton and my 8 month old us Lexie from greys anatomy.

Im pregant and its a boy ny husband chose Elijah / Eli and well i have like 3 friends who have recently had bots who named them that but i didnt care name her whatever you want

Honestly I think parents only choosing a name because it’s unique and not common is ridiculous. Its whatever you feel is right or what you like.

1 Like

Do what you want. My name is rare hated that as a kid never found my name anywhere.

1 Like

I wouldnt risk changing a name i liked to something else just bc ppls opinions. You do what you want

Choose a name u love. Tell everyone you will reveal her name when u have her so u don’t get alot of peoples opinions.

Your baby, your choice

We tried to go with a less common name. That was a choice though. If we would have just loved a name that was more common I would have went with it. I was also a preschool teacher for 15 years so I shot down a lot of names my husband suggested because they reminded me of certain kids :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I mean I think there is enough Michael, Johns, Amys, and Isabellas in the world to prove people name their kids names because it’s popular.

You do what you want. It’s the name you’ll be calling your child so you better love it.

1 Like

Your babies, your choice

I have a Madison(4yr) and a Richard(3yr & named after a grandfather that he’ll never meet) we had list of names but didn’t name either till they were all most 2days old. Madison wasn’t even on the list and Richard because we just couldn’t come up with anything that suited him better. Your kids your choice.

All I’m saying is that my daughters have 8 friends named Madison, and 5 Olivia’s…they all have to call them by their last names.

2 Likes

I did random name for my 5 kids

It doesnt matter if its common or not. If you like it then choose it. Other people have no right to pick YOUR babys name out

6 Likes

Honestly think it really depends on the person if you asked my sister what she’d name her baby she’d give you the same name she picked out when she was 5, I went out there and gave my son a “unique” name but I also have a very out there personality, my little sister if you ask her what she’d name her baby her answer changes every few years and honestly it’s always something trendy. You are the one whose going to be saying the name a million times pick what ever name you like

My youngest name is popular now but my oldest is not! If you like it that is what is important! I picked names based on meanings. Don’t let people bully you out of a name you like it is your baby and your choice

I can care less how popular a name is. If we both like it then that’s what it’ll be.

1 Like

A lot of people aren’t going to be raising your child love, it’s your choice! Any name you pick others will grow to love! :two_hearts:

Pick what you want regardless what anyone else says. It’s your child.

Whatever name you like! My name was popular in the 50’s.

There are 11 kids in my sons pre-k class. 3 are named Owen. So, I like sticking to unique or less common names.

It completely up to you … I picked out both uncommon names for both my child because I fell in love with the names … my son is Rutledge and my daughter is Willow

I purposely went searching for names that werent popular or found already made up on personalized items.

I did not want a really common name but that’s just what I wanted. As long as you’re happy with it, who cares

My daughter is Amelia Rose, born 2012, Amelia is still a top 10 name, but no other Amelia in her class at school, or in our family, or friend’s families. I wanted to call her Natalia, but the name didn’t suit when she was born. Her dad looked at her & picked her name. Same with our boy. His name is Kerr. His paternal grandmother’s maiden name :heart:

If you really like it, go for it. But don’t be upset if your child has to go by Olivia A. or Madison P. either.

Having grown up with an unheard name, and my husband growing up with a super popular name, we wanted something common enough to be able to spell and say, but not popular. Worked for our first two daughters. By our third daughter we could only agree on a name that was in the top 3. We were hesitant with the popularity, and amazingly enough she’s never met another kid in her age group with the name. So we worried for nothing, and the name suits her well! No regrets on going with it.

We had 15 Jessica’s in my high school year. I’d never choose a top ten name!

Also know lots of David’s.

If your last name is common like Jones/Smith then maybe try and think of something different or a different spelling

Whatever you want!! If you dont mind go for it!

What other people name their kids had zero in put on what i named mine. My daughter doesn’t go to school with anyone with her name. Meanwhile my son has about 5 other kids in his grade alone with his name

Don’t second guess a thing. Have a few picked out and when baby is born 1 look u will know.

1 Like

If you truly love those names then go for it! Who cares what everyone else thinks. So what if an awesome name is so common. They’re popular for a reason. I have a Jayden & an Ava both common but I love them so idc.

1 Like

Go with your heart. They will have their name a very long time.

My sons called Thomas and I only picked it because it’s my partner and his dads middle name xx

Love Olivia, it’s what you guys like, not what anyone else thinks x

Those are cute names and if you love them go for them!!!

I have an Emily and a Lucy. Some names are popular for a reason. They’re timeless.

Your babies do what you want. People thought I’d pick common names and I did in a way but spelt different my sons names is Rylan but spelt Ryelin and my daughters name is Elena but spelt Alayna.

Nope I picked bailey when people said ots a dogs name and long behold after having her everyone had a dog named Bailey sfill did it. A nd Asher despite people saying it was a dumb name.

I wouldn’t pick a common name

I preferred names for my girls I never heard a girl really go by. But this is YOUR baby, do what YOU want. A lot of people did not like I was naming my youngest daughter Lincoln-Elizabeth but at the end of the day that’s what I wanted. And I’m glad I stuck with it. My oldest daughter is Kennedy and I’m not liking that I’m hearing a lot of girls with that name now that are younger than my daughter lol.

I was going to name my daughter Olivia because I’ve loved the name since the Cosby show. When I realized how popular it was I changed my mind.

Your family, your baby your choice. God Bless

If it doesnt bother YOU, then it doesnt matter.

Your baby, your name choice. Simple as that. Tell whoever to keep their unwanted opinions to themselves :grin:

People are always going to have something to say regardless. You and dad pick the name you want and screw everyone else.

I made it a point to not pick a name on the top 100 list. During my school years I had a class with 8 other Jessica’s.

1 Like

That’s why I put don’t ask for others opinions. Just name your kid what you love. 4 of my boys have common names and the other one doesn’t. I don’t care. I like it.

Go with the names that make you happy. Just know the more popular a name the greater a chance another child in your child’s class will have that exact name. My kids’ names aren’t unusual but are not very common. I have a Bradley and a Mindy

I’m not a fan of popular names even when it comes to naming pets I’ve always tried going with underrated names or names I’ve tried making up myself :joy:

I was tired AF after sooooo I have a Patrick Hogan James, all family names. ( thats all one name for one kid)

Pick what you like. We liked unique names so thats how we went. But our niece is Madison Olivia ( they spelled ot differently) its a beautiful name.

I picked out what I thought was the PERFECT name for my oldest son. Once I decided on that PERFECT name everyone else was on board. I can’t remember if it was a popular name but it was the name I wanted. So, he was born and everything went well. After they cleaned him up they brought him to me and I knew from that moment that PERFECT name did not match what I saw in his face. So, the next day we decided on a name that truly belonged to him.

My daughter has a unique first name and a common middle. I want to continue that. Classics are classics for a reason. I think Olivia is beautiful. Would I use it? No. But, if you want to then go ahead :heart:

Yeah. I don’t like top ranked names. I researched to find named best suited.

If you like the name go for it. I personally didn’t want overly common names, but I didn’t particularly like any of them anyway so it wasn’t an issue. If I had found one I really liked I may have been ok with it being common.

1 Like

I was told not to name my daughter Zoey because it was in the top 10 names when she was born. Guess what? Her name is Zoey. :blush: She loves it, we love it, and I could never imagine her having a different name. Choose a name that makes you happy, regardless of other people’s opinion.

1 Like

Pick whatever you want! I have a Michael, Olivia and Sarah. All popular names but with special meaning to me or family

1 Like

I picked a common first and middle name because I loved the names. & I wanted her initials to be V.I.P so I didn’t care what anyone thought about it because me and her father love her name :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I picked the number one boys name the year my son was born. I didn’t die growing up a Sarah in the 90’s. He will be fine.

1 Like

It’s a privilege to share this miraculous testimony to the world. My husband divorced me 4 months back and i have been filled with remorse for i didn’t know what to do to amend issues with my husband. I searched for help on the internet on how i could get help in my marriage and i discovered great testifiers about Dr Ken who has been progressive with his spells. I got in touch with him and behold, Dr Ken told me that he will prepare a spell for me that will bring back my husband. I was skeptical but i had no other option but to work with him. 2 days after, my husband called me that he’s coming back home and from that day till this moment, we have been living peacefully. He is back now with so much love and caring. today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the powers of bring lovers back and the most surprising thing is that our love is very strong now,every day is happiness and joy. and there is nothing like being with the man you love. I will highly recommend Dr Ken to anyone one out there who needs help whatsoever.if you have any problem contact Dr Ken, i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you!!.
It’s a privilege to share this miraculous testimony to the world.in case you need his help too just message him on WhatsApp him +2348167646852
Or Gmail:[email protected] or 登录 Facebook | Facebook

1 Like

I have an Olivia for 17 years now… it’s still as beautiful as thought it was then. Just like her!

1 Like

It’s your baby, no one else should be having an opinion. Name your baby what you want to

2 Likes

Fuck what others say. Pick what you wanna pick. :blush:

1 Like

This makes me laugh. My second daughter is named Gillian. a neighbor down the street with two daughters named Joy and Noel asked me where on earth I ever came up with a name like that!

1 Like

Do what YOU want, screw other people. My daughters name is Oliviah and I’m so glad I picked it! It fits her! If s name feels right USE IT

Your baby your name. Names like clothes come back in fashion and leave again so we might not call a baby Sharon now but in 2040 itll make a come back. In the 60s my nan called my mom Michelle which was highly popular and my nan said she’d have felt outdated naming one of hers Lily or Martha but now obviously they’ve had their come back. I love classic names x

I pick a name I like period. Not if popular or anyone else likes. Id had my nqmes picked out way befire kids even thought of

I named all my kids with unique names bc I wanted there names to be special. And my youngest baby’s middle name I made out of Austin and Logan (two dear friends who past away) his middle name is lostin

Pick what name YOU want. I named my boy Michael John. After both his grandfathers that have passed. But I got so much crap for it, because my brothers name is Michael also, but goes by Mike. And my dad was Mikey. My son is Michael not any of those. If I want to honor my dad that was my choice, and I stuck to my guns. I also had people say “have more then 1 name because you might change your mind” Once I saw my boy, first thing I said was “he is definitely Michael.” I just KNEW.

I also hate super weird names. I like names people know how to say without having to ask. Probably because of my name and I have dealt with it all my life and it bugs me, I don’t even correct people anymore, its just like “whatever I give up”

If you are absolutely set on either one of those names then it doesn’t matter if it’s popular or not. You name your child what you want to name them :woman_shrugging:t3:

you do you it’s your baby.
My first baby name is Henry. I only knew 2 one being an older guy from church and the other a friend of a friends little boy that lived in another state.

My current pregnancy haven’t released name publicly yet . But I have never heard of it before until a week after we agreed on it . I had a black lab puppy come in to work with that name :rofl:

I personally don’t like common names.
main reason why is… we had 5 Kendra’s ,one with the same last name as me in my senior high (small school)
I absolutely hated how much they switched things like pictures, tickets for things etc.
So our rules for baby names is no Very common names or Jrs.

I purposely chose something not popular. But to each their own. If you like it then name them that!

My first pregnancy I had triplets. Everyone wanted me to have rhyming names. I ended up with. Zakery, Zoe and Cheyenne

My daughter name. First name is Sophia’Marie you name the baby what you wont dont listen to any one else.