A daycare worker was letting babies cry while she rocked her own child: Advice?

Of course, speak up and ask questions! Communication can help ease a lot of stress when you have a better picture of what and why some things are happening. Good Luck!!

Most definitely report it to the director . That’s not ok at all .

4 Likes

As understanding as it is for you to feel your child is more important than any other child, she has to care for all of them … would it have mattered it it wasn’t her child she was rocking? Possibly all of them were crying and that particular one (hers) started first and caused a chain reaction and had just finished soothing the one in her arms… be the person in the outside looking in,. Don’t always look in as the parent.

9 Likes

I’ve worked at a daycare and I’ve been the only one stuck with 4 infants who were all hungry and tired and I did my very best to feed one then the next then rock one then the next and change diapers. It was rough but I was doing my best to comfort them all and not let one cry for to long. Maybe you conveniently walked in when she happened to be comforting her own child or maybe she is picking favorites. It wouldn’t hurt to kindly let the manager know and inform her you’re aware it may not be how it seemed, but if it is a problem then she can address it properly.

5 Likes

I would say something

1 Like

Always communicate your concerns.

I don’t know what state you are in but In Ours there are laws so that under age 18 mo. there always has to a ratio of 7 kids to 1 adult and under age 1 it is 4 to 1. So depending on how many kids are in there at the time the center may be breaking the law. It changes for nap time. I worked in 3 daycare over the yrs. Over age 18 months, there legally could be 1 caregiver if kids were napping but for babies, there always were 2 adults if there were a certain number of kids in rm. She likely was a floater and perhaps tended the other kids as best as she could. They may have been freaked out with a diff person in the room and frankly you don’t actually know How long they had been crying. I would mention it to the management but it may just have been a situation in which the other babies were fussing because their normal teachers were not there and some centers do let kids fuss to see if they may self sooth. Some families actually prefer their child under 1 to learn to self sooth so they did fuss. If they cried to point of hyperventilating or getting ill we would sooth. But seems like she may have been overwhelmed and perhaps her plan was to take care of the others in a moment. I have been in situations like this. Sometimes you do what you can to sooth one child and move onto next and she is only one person. She may have been ignoring them yes but also when u are alone with multiple kids at once and a few are crying you have to make a choice on who is fussiest. Perhaps her child was fussing 1st and others were crying as a result. You just walked into a room, I think it is worth mentioning to make sure laws are being followed but you don’t know why those babies were crying.

2 Likes

Well, she shouldn’t work in a same class as her kid , second, yeah babies cry a lot , and you can’t soothe all of them when you are alone ( I hope she was not over her ratio) but I hope she at least would have tried to do something about it or call for help …

2 Likes

Absolutely report that!

2 Likes

I ran a child care for 22 years, never allowed a parent of a child to care for that child’s room!

6 Likes

Ask what the protocol is especially having 2 babies screaming , explain the situation you witnessed.

See something…say something !!

4 Likes

Sounds like a conflict of interest if she has her own child in the room she’s caring for

4 Likes

Exactly :100: why my girls never went back to a daycare it took me 1 time to pick up my daughters 11 months apart and I picked them up after their second week and both diapers were horrible my youngest had a huge scratch down her face my then 2 year old tells me teacher smack my sissy in face she was 2 babies don’t lie at 2 let’s just say I went back to said daycare they never did

2 Likes

Id be bringing it up to someone period.

2 Likes

I work at a daycare and I always tell parents that if you have any concerns always talk to someone. If you don’t feel comfortable talking to the teachers that is usually there, talk to the director. If she is new she shouldn’t of been left alone in the first place.

5 Likes

I worked in a daycare and I wasn’t assigned to the room my son was in for precisely that reason. Id definately say something to the director so it can be addressed.

7 Likes

You have a right to be upset, Becca Browns advice seems sensible.

I’d definitely raise it with the manager of the nursery say am not happy if it happens again you will go the the health board as that’s not right xc

2 Likes

You weren’t there, you don’t know if or how that baby was crying or how long the others were crying. Watch your own kid if you can’t handle the fact they won’t always be out first when there’s a bunch of other babies too

4 Likes

Definitely bring up your concerns.

1 Like

Report it!! Should have been more than 1 worker in that room at one time.

6 Likes

Why were two of them on break at the same time they should be taking turns so that there’s two people in the room with with children. Anything can happen when one singular person is distracted.

5 Likes

Hell yes tell them and say if it is not corrected you are concerned for your own child!

1 Like

You should be very concerned

1 Like

I would definitely bring it up to the director. Seems odd for her not to care for the other little ones in the nursery.

1 Like

I would definitely bring it up!!! I dont trust daycare centers.

1 Like

Of course she going to get her baby if he’s crying she’s the only person there.You don’t know if he was crying first so that why she had him The other babies could have just been fussy.If your gonna complain then put the blame where it should be and that’s on management for letting her be there by her self.Why blame her she’s doing her job…Babies so cry at the same time and if it’s just you then you have to handle it the best you can.You can’t say you never had your baby cry while you finished something or did something knowing your baby wasn’t hurt just fussy.Dont get this girl fired over your bad judgement of her

7 Likes

Absolutely tell her boss!

3 Likes

Say something…maybe the other workers are not aware

3 Likes

Maybe her kid had been crying before ? Mayne she was trying to get one down then go to the next? I mean she’s alone with crying infants… 1 to 4 is alot. They can check cameras but I’d be less quick to judge.

8 Likes

Daycares around here don’t allow you to be in the same room as your child if employed due to this exact thing.

11 Likes

Hell yes bring that up that is wrong in so many way

3 Likes

The fact that this is even a question for you making me wonder about you. I wouldn’t have a second thought about NOT dropping my child off at a place that obviously ignores the needs of the children in their care and I wouldn’t have left before bringing this to the attention of every single person in that place.

4 Likes

I would ask why there wasn’t a 2nd person in the room

1 Like

The whole daycare sounds awful tbh. Why were 2 workers on break at the same time if there are only 3 employees.

5 Likes

Definitely bring it up! Report it… advocate for your baby.

You must pick up your child every time they cry. I think you’re jumping to conclusions. Be an adult and ask her instead of the internet what was going on.

11 Likes

Hopefully your post will help solve the problem.

2 Likes

Here we go…Judging mothers yet again.

2 Likes

You don’t know what had been happening before though. I’m in childcare myself and when everyone is screaming I find who needs it the most in that moment, I’m only one person, so I have to go one by one.

5 Likes

There deff needs to be more than 1 person with young children like that!

1 Like

Here there has to be two teachers at once at any given time in the baby room. It’s not always the same people but always two. It’s ridiculous that she was left on her own.

1 Like

I must confess that I’m filled up with abundance joy, you’ve change my life into a better financial state, i will forever remain grateful to you and your company Mrs Elizabeth James you’re the best account manager I’ve ever seen in my life, thanks for the sincerity and payout may God bless you and your company , Ask Her How To Invest​:point_down::point_down::point_down:

Online trading has been real to me since I met Mrs Elizabeth James , Honestly speaking I haven’t met an opportunity I could gain from all this while before I met her, she made me forgot all my losses and I’m earning massively since I started trading with her. I’m also earning more profits as I publish this… Contact her now by clicking the name below and starting earning
:point_down::point_down::point_down:

I’m just so overwhelm with joy right now, it’s a dream come true for me. I really want to appreciate Mrs Elizabeth James for your strategy and method of trading. Who would have believe that I could make up to this amount in a space of five days with just a little startup capital, Thanks alot Mrs Elizabeth James for not letting me down, I’m understanding greatful. Contact Mrs Lisa jennifer with her by clicking the name below​:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

This is why I don’t want to go back to work after having my baby

2 Likes

Mrs Elizabeth James may God continue to bless you: my legit account manager, for helping me achieves all my goals in life today, I am now able to provide for my family, having a good living with my family, Who so ever that is reading this should contact her here on facebook now and be financially free. her platform is the best.
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:
Message her to get started

Definitely bring it up to someone

In my opinion, daycare workers should not be allowed to watch their own children.

3 Likes

If you are concerned about your childs care then absolutely bring it to their attention. Babies don’t have to be crying very long before they can really whoop it up! However you can never be too careful when it comes to the health and safety of your child.

1 Like

Definitely you should say something

I would be concerned for sure this is not ok

2 Likes

Yes you definitely bring it up and you can also report your finding to licensing if you feel the issue is not handled… personally teachers should not work with their children for this reason

1 Like

Bring it up immediately

I would have definitely said something

Bring it up softly… to somebody you trust there.

1 Like

Ask the director if it’s common practice to have the teacher/parent in the classroom with their child. Most places don’t do that. I would also mention what you saw so it can be addressed.

1 Like

It’s not right, was this worker fully licensed? Does she know the full protocol of emergencies? How many children were under her care because ratios are part of ANY kind of infant/toddler care. Those other 2 workers should not have left if any of these questions cannot be answered, and moreover it is actually morally wrong to just leave children with a new worker without a regular staff member present. Ughhhhhh🙄

1 Like

Do not know what state you are living in but the standard for daycare is a minimum of two (2) adults trained for every 3 children. This is the standard in the training used by our NATIONAL CHURCH TRAINING.
Report this situation to the daycare management and if it happens again, report to Chilx Protective Services

1 Like

At that age being alone is not ok

You need to have empathy as a mother and to be honest you probably don’t know the entire situation. How do you know her baby wasn’t crying and she just got him/her to calm down when you walked in? You also mentioned there were two other babies crying. Can you rock 3 babies at the same time? I know i can’t. That’s not her fault the two other teachers were on a break and she was left understaffed. If i’m not mistaken there should always be 2 teachers in an infant room based off number of kids in the room. Also, if you happened to work at a daycare where your baby went and your baby started crying, you’re telling me your motherly instincts wouldn’t kick in and you wouldn’t gravitate to your child first? Of course you would. Definitely bring it up if it concerned you but bring it up in a calm professional manner, address the situation and don’t jump to conclusions. 

14 Likes

I worked at a daycare and there were times I had to hold and feed and burp my own 5month old while other babies were crying. It’s just one person to 4 babies. If they are all crying it’s one at a time. She doesn’t have 6 fucking arms. I think your just being a bitch.

This post and these comments have me absolutely fucking floored. How dare some of you!!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Absolutely bring it up.

1 Like

ALWAYS say something when it comes to a child’s safety/neglect.

4 Likes

Bring it up. Ask questions: what was happening before you entered the room. Also there should always be 2 adults present in the room with the babies, at least every center I worked at in Illinois and Florida, in the infant room no caregiver could be left alone, always had to be 2 in the room at all times. We had a 3rd person in there sometimes (total of 8 babies per each infant room) and a floater to give breaks, step in for extra assistance etc. We had plenty of staff that also was in same room as their baby, and a very in-depth code of conduct/guidebook on how to handle situations that arose when teacher was in same room as child. Lead your quest to find out what is going on with a lot of open ended questions and go from there.

My advice let the director know, but show up through out the day and just watch the camera if they have them and see how things are going. How would u know if it was her own child unless u asked and yes she wasn’t doing thing in proper manner but what do u expect yes to put the happy child down and yes I believe attend to the other two adjust what they are doing maybe feed them or hold them both maybe they wanted to be rocked as well

1 Like

You shouldn’t have to think twice! That’s your child.

1 Like

Absolutely say something

1 Like

Maybe she was on her break

1 Like

She should never have been left alone with so many infants, especially being new. Why would 2 go on break at the same time? Bring it up for sure to the person in charge and tell him/her your concerns! How did you know that was her child? You had to ask someone? As others have said, you don’t know what was going on prior to you entering the room. Was her child upset? Had she just finished nursing? Keep a level head and open mind when you speak to the director. And please put yourself in the mother’s place AFTER you know all the facts. I watch 3 grandkids and their parents have come to pick them up and walked into all 3 of them crying! Not from neglect on my part, but circumstances and the lack of having 6 arms to hold and comfort all of them at once! And 1 of them cries every time someone else cries, not because anything is wrong, simply because someone else is crying! Was that the circumstance you walked in on? Sometimes you have to tackle situations one step at a time, one baby at a time. But definitely when any child is involved, talk to the director!

4 Likes

You always bring up anything you question…because always better safe than sorry. But here’s the truth, many times daycare teachers have to leave kids babies crying. They are only one person. While there are many babies or kids! You can not comfort all at once. They may have had a nap order or scheduled and it was her babies turn to go to sleep. You really don’t know the situation at all.

There should be a certain number of workers to child ratio instead of multiple going on break at once. With that tho also how long were the other kids crying do we know? Do we know if they were crying because something was wrong or because they were just tired or something like that?? As a parent yes I would be upset but there are a lot of factors to take into place. Could her child have recently been hurt? Was she putting that child down for a nap?

1 Like

The more important question is: Why was only ONE lady in charge of all the babies? Shouldn’t there always be at least 2 on at all times. Those other 2 employees shouldn’t have taken a break at the same time! Not just for child care coverage, but for a “checks and balances” system to ensure noone is ever accused of (or doing) anything wrong.

1 Like

Honestly this is been my fear since enrolling my child in daycare and also why I’ve stuck with only working part time and doing part time daycare. You are lucky to be able to enter your child’s room to witness that, for 2 years my child’s daycare doesn’t allow parents in because of covid , I worry daily