Advice on anxiety in toddlers?

Anxiety in toddlers? My daughter is just over a year, and since she was about 3 or 4 months, she has scratched her forehead when tired. I gave her a blanket to sleep and kept her nails really short, and it worked! Now, at just over a year (this has been going on for a little while) she scratching the back of her neck and the back of her knees when uncomfortable (new people, hungry, tired). I have kept tight pants on her because if they are loose at the bottom, she will pull them up to scratch, kept her nails short, and have practicality bathed her in lotion! Yes, I have mentioned it to her dr and was prescribed a steroid cream to prevent itching. Even after I asked her if anxiety is an issue, she just seemed to brush it off. Her father and I have anxiety, and I know it is hereditary. I keep her skin moisturized and have tried many products and keep coming up short. Does anyone have any advice or tips to help? With winter here, her skin is worse, and nothing seems to be really helping. Thanks in advance!!

11 Likes

I’ve tried everything for itchy skin. I suggest coconut oil, especially after bath time. It is literally the only thing that stops me from scratching my skin off.

1 Like

Kids weighted blanket

1 Like

Cbd oil, I used Biocare and it’s helped my daughter a lot! Let me know if you want more info!

Sounds like it might be excema by the location of her itching… My daughter has severe excema, gets worse this time of the year and she itches so bad she scratches herself open, behind her knees, the back of her neck, her lower back, creases of her elbows.

2 Likes

My son used to scratch his head too he’s one currently and the only thing that helped him was the pacifier holder clip thing! He runs his hands threw it and it calms him down! The non bead one lol weirdest thing

Weighted vest or blanket seems to help. I work at child care with 1 year olds and we have a child who pulls her hair out in chunks when she gets irritated and cant calm her nerves the vest really helps and wr even tought her breathing exersizes breath in slow threw your noise let out slow threw the mouth and she understands :+1:

Would you be willing to look in to essential oils? Doterra ones have had the best results for my little and I! Good luck lady. PM me if you want a rep name for more info

I would definitely venture to say this isn’t the baby’s anxiety that is an issue. Baby seems to have a skin issue

3 Likes

Get a second opinion

1 Like

Try unsented soaps laundry bath and lotions

:wave: more likely sensory seeking. As mum you get to help her discover an alternative. Maybe rubbing a stuffed animal or snapping fingers. As for now treating any break in the skin with an antibiotic.

I’m not sure about a solution to the root of the anxiety, but my daughter has terrible eczema, she gets it on her face and hands from the cold weather, and CeraVe is the only thing that has worked for her so far! Just thought it’d be worth a try.

Could it possibly be the detergent you use? Kids skin can be more sensitive to the chemicals… Maybe try a trial size of something more gentle for her clothes and sheets

1 Like

Get her a taggy she can hold on to it and pull the material my 2 year old tickles his hand with the side of the pillow case

I don’t know either way since I don’t know you or your daughter, but I just wanted to add that this has been an issue with my daughters anxiety and anytime she is experiencing any kind of anxiety, she does this to the point of bleeding without even noticing she’s doing it. It’s usually her arms. She’s 15, been doing it for as long as I can remember so it’s a possibility

Consider a request for an OT referral for sensory processing. My daughter scratches herself until she bleeds when she’s overly tired, overwhelmed, etc. She’s done in since she was 4-5 months old. I requested an OT referral and it has helped a lot. There were other sensory seeking behaviors going on. She’s just over 13 months now and rarely does it and the other behaviors have improved as well. Mostly because we know what to watch for when she’s getting uncomfortable and are able to intervene.

When she starts getting anxious give her something to fidget with or something to play with to distract her.

When she gets nervous or anxious, give her something to play with in her hands. Small but not chokeable small of course. This might help

Maybe try a toy or blanket she can brush her fingers against like a tabby edge blanket. Or those sensory balls something that will feel abruptly different and hopefully help distract her? Good luck mama

My daughter bites her nails and the skin around them. Making her look like a burn victim. I put a hair tie around her wrist to play with. It helps a ton as far as the skin but she still bites her nails

Hmm so anxiety can have kiddos scratch and pick at scabs? My son has a spot on his forehead that he will not leave alone and I dunno how to get hin to stop

I don’t have much of an answer for the anxiety part but as for the skin I can tell you my 5 yr old gets very bad eczema/itchy/dry skin when she has dairy so we limit her dairy, use Berts Bees natural body wash or Jason brand body wash with Jason brand coconut oil lotion all over (rub it in very good) and her skin has been a lot better! I personally feel more natural and pure and less chemicals are better for sensitive skin kids. Sometimes being itchy all over can be a sign of sensitivity to food/lotion/ laundry det, ect. . . . Good luck!

As for the anxiety I’m not sure but if her skin is bothering her and itching, try using dove non scented soap! That’s the only thing I could ever get to work on my boys and if it wasn’t for a different dr telling me, idk what I would have done because I tried everything

My son would pick at his hands and nails until they bleed. Granted, hes much older (9 at the time) he started seeing a pediatric neurologist for his anxiety and other issues. IMO a pediatrician tends to brush things like this off, if you think there is a real anxiety issue try a neurologist

1 Like

They sell kid stress balls. Every time she goes to scratch I would hand it to her. Maybe she will fidget with that instead.

1 Like

A bracelet or rubbing stone. Though it may be tough to do those for her young age. Let her carry a fav blanket or stuffy with her?

It’s OK she’s anxious. Might be sensory issue. But just control her environment and all will be fine.

2 Likes

I feel my baby has anxiety when she sleeps and her doctor won’t even talk about it either. I give her a blanket and she literally need about 6 stuffed animals surrounding her to fall asleep and even then it’s tough. We have started her sleeping with us till she falls asleep.

Sounds like it may be excema (sp?)

I think Dr’s brush it off because we aren’t exactly sure if it’s anxiety and where I’m fine, they don’t do medications that young… I definitely would try what some of these other mamas have tried. I’d look into a sensory issues. Try changing her detergent, body wash and even diapers. I’d only change one thing at a time though. Give it a few days to a week to find what’s really going on. Good luck mama, hope you both find comfort.

I have excema … and Aveeno is the only that gets rid of my irritation. I know she’s tiny.& that’s safe to try

Try some bag balm at night on effected areas, heals chapped/chaffed skin. My mom uses it for everything. Even used it on burn blisters to help minimize scarring.

my daughter had this problem for awhile due to a combination of excema and anxiety, tho she was worse during the summer. On top of what u are already doing, try putting mittens or clean socks over her hands when she goes to sleep, tie them on but not too tight of course. It helped my daughter quit scratching at her face

I’m not sure if it would help, but magnesium spray really helps my son with sensory issues. I just spray it on his legs and it relaxes him so much

2 Likes

Redirect her. Teach her mindfulness and grounding techniques. She’s really young. But you can still try to get her to identify things and practice deep breathing. I use to have my son identify colors of things a lot at that age.

Try giving her a oatmeal bath! Fill the tub up and pour oatmeal inside the water while its running to fill… When shes done just take her out and dry her up… It won’t hurt her and it will moisturize her skin as well… It has worked for my youngest son… Hopefully you can find something too…

It is a form of anxiety and self soothing, but it is normal until it becomes a problem if you know what I mean. Everyone has tells that they are getting anxious, hungry, tired… But they only become something to worry about if they become destructive to themselves or others.

Sounds like you guys have it managed pretty well. Remind YOUR anxiety that she is ok (I have to do this with mine and my son a lot…) and just work to help her take care of her needs as they come up. If you notice her scratching evaluate the situation and help her work through it.

Now if she scratches herself to bleeding or will get angry and fight if she physically cant scratch… That would be unhealthy coping. If it isnt that though then she is ok :two_hearts:

Definitely switch doctors to start with…

1 Like

My daughter is two and will bite her nails, especially when family is around (ours can be loud and extremely chaotic sometimes). Our pediatrician told us the best method is to calmly talk to her and explain feelings when she isn’t upset, and to help distract and teach methods of coping during stressful times. My daughter really responds well to counting out loud and singing songs. Offering hugs are also helpful. He did say not to acknowledge the anxious behavior. Otherwise it may become a game or it could also become an attention tactic. He said ignoring the behavior while reinforcing stronger coping skills and explaining feelings are important during the toddler stages to avoid more destructive behaviors and to help kids be more confident.

Sounds like eczema or maybe just detergent allergies please dont tell my kid has anxiety cause you do change the detergent an what your bathing her with use cream for dry itchy skin if she starts itching when mad the body heat can cause an itching episode

They use to. Have those little mittens they could wear to keep from scratching themselves

Lavender calming lotions could help. Maybe whenever she’s going to be in new/uncomfortable situations try to make sure you always have her favorite toy, or stuffed animal. Distractions, like books or a game/video on your phone when you notice her getting agitated. I’ve have anxiety for as long as I can remember. Don’t force her to be social/affectionate with anyone, even family, it will only make it worse. Do incourage her to try different things, but if she resists don’t push her. Ask and move on. I say this as long term advice. I don’t know of any meds, or if it’s even a good idea to try so young. Try essential oil defuser, look into different scent combos. It’s obviously not a cure all, but it really does help some.

Cbd oil is great for anxiety. Be sure a discuss with her Dr. but has been a gift to me and one of my grandsons.

Sounds like this is a soothing habit. I’d talk to your Dr or a child psychologist to nip it properly.

Most doctors brush it off because small children can’t talk much yet and they can’t give him medication for anything like that until they’re at least around 5. dr. Brush it off just like every other doctor doesn’t think that children that young can be affected by mental illness and they don’t realize it is possible. I have a 3 year old nephew ever since he was about one he’s had really bad anxiety you cannot separate him from his mother cuz even if you leave him with his father for the mother to go to work they live together to and he goes ballistic. I thought it was just a me thing that he just doesn’t see me 24/7 so it was I don’t want auntie I want Mommy and then his dad told me he does this to him when the mother leaves. all you can do is redirect their attention to something else but it does sound like she may have a case of eczema which baby oil works very well especially coconut oil just keep them out of extreme temperature so it doesn’t burn their skin. that means in the summer try not to use it as much they don’t get sunburned. You can even get a hemp body wash I know it sounds a little odd even hempz lotion it works great because I get severely dry skin in the winter and can’t stand it. Don’t use bar soap it will just make it worse because it dries out the skin you can even use Neosporin and Vaseline. She may even have sensory issues I have a friend whose daughter does she just finds ways to go about it to redirect her attention and keep her from doing the habits so if she’s calling out her neck find something you can use to cover it like a turtleneck sweater or make her wear mittens to keep her from doing it. find another way to definitely redirect her attention away from whatever is causing the issue. I would have reserved and see which kind of situations cause a trigger for that like would it be big crowds or strangers being around like having a friend over that she’s not really meant much. Or if it’s in closed spaces like or small spaces or overwhelming situations and I’d work from there and finding a way to get her to focus on something else and reassure her it’s okay