Advice on handling family about my son being gay?

Stop letting these kids think they are the opposite sex. God made us what we’re supposed to be. If the parents would stop letting these kids act like they are the opposite sex maybe there wouldn’t be so many in this world today. I wouldn’t let my child!!!

2 Likes

YOU supporting him has NOTHING to do with anyone else accepting or supporting him. U cant make other people feel a way they dont feel or believe something that they dont believe. It has nothing to do with you or your son. Do your part to be there for him. It’s none of his or your business how someone else feels or what they accept. That’s what’s wrong with the world today… everyone worries about what someone else will think or feel. They are not you! Or him!! So it doesnt matter. We don’t need others approval to live the life we wanna live.

1 Like

Watch some movies together

Love him and please let him know that Jesus loves him.no matter what ignorant people say.

3 Likes

Coming out to you and coming out to the rest of the family is different. Tell him he can tell people on his own time in his own way. And honestly if they dont accept that then fuck them

Just make a toast at a family gathering and throw it in there that “if any family memebers were to come out as gay I would hope they would receive all the love and support and inclusion in our family as I would accept you with open arms and love”.

Except that baby and love him for him.

Remind him you love him no matter what. And do not allow him to be bullied. He is the same boy you loved yeresterday and admitting he is gay today changes nothing. Please stand up for your son . If your family won’t accept him he will need you even more.

Let him know you have his back and that you love him. Next let him know he can come to you with anything and a private counselor may be of great help to both of you. Good luck momma your seeing him.

Hi there . I am a mum that has a gay son who recently got married. I too am a Christian. I have always gone along the path that you love your kids regardless of where they are at. This is how I have managed to accept and love unconditionally. He is the happiest that I have ever seen him We just go along as a family as nothing is really different. Other family have just accepted the boys for who they are and how priveledged am I to have them both.For your family and friends God loves us the way we are He may not like what we do but He still loves us. Hoping this may help a little.

1 Like

You are a treasure for our future generation😊

2 Likes

You support him in his decision. Do some research, there’s lots of gay and lesbian acts in Bible. Make sure you can quote them when /if your family says anything. OOOH the best one if they’re real christians there’s only 1 judge & it’s not them!

3 Likes

But you really don’t know for sure he is, maybe he is in touch with his feminine side. So becareful until he tells you himself

4 Likes

My son is 10 and I have always had that feeling that you talk about and about a year ago he told me he is gay I told him it’s ok and it’s his choice I don’t love him any less or any different and if any of my family members can’t handle that then its there loss I would never subject my son to them being cruel to him no matter his age…fast forward some time he has now said he feels he likes both males and females and I just continue to tell him the same thing

1 Like

I wouldn’t even worry about it until (if) he does come out. It might be a long time. Just keep living your same routine. Nothing changes either way. You might have some people not agree with it, but people will always have opinions on something.

2 Likes

Just make sure your son knows that he is perfect the way he is and if anyone has a problem with that it’s their problem. That people’s judgement is a reflection of themselves and their poor character and NOT a reflection of your son. Encourage him to be himself and love himself and fuck anyone who tried to bring him down. If and when they day comes if any of your family takes issue with whoever your son is i would cut ties with them asap. No time for toxic people. It’s their problem not his! He needs to live his life and be happy and that’s what matters. Not the ignorant opinions of people. Just love him and let the rest happen naturally but I would just teach him to be himself and love himself no matter what, gay, straight,bi whatever he is perfect.

It says nothing in the bible about being gay, it says men can’t lay with BOYSSS. If they were truly Christian they would still love him 100%. If they don’t then say fuck them, thats your baby and his happiness is more important than dealing with hate.

Unfortunately, you can’t control how they feel about it. You can, however, give your son your full love and support when he is ready.

2 Likes

Start making comments about how he can always tell you everything and if and when he broaches the subject remind him he is loved anyway and be his number one supporter and defender from the rest of your family.

5 Likes

I know you’re thinking about him in this situation but it’s his choice. What if he doesn’t even want the extended family to know? Wait till this conversation happens and ask him personally if he would like other family to know. He might not if he knows how they are. But who knows he might just cut them off for their judgement and you won’t have to do it for him.

1 Like

Tell him you love him and accept him however he is, and tell him you will stand by him 100% no matter what. When he decides to come out to your family his choice, not yours, him telling you that he is gay does not give you permission to out him to everyone make sure you tell them you are 100% behind him and are with him no matter what. If they feel that they need to be toxic, remove them from your life and choose no more contact. My 13 year old decided to wait one more year until shes 14 before she comes out to my family.

2 Likes

kids change their mind a dozen times before they are 18-they may just want to copy somebody else

2 Likes

The easiest thing to do is just ask him. When he is ready, he will let you know. Christian’s and judging? Go figure. These days it is so common anything goes. Luv is luv no matter which way you turn it.

He’s your son. You just love him.

3 Likes

Seriously “they’re all Christians” My family is full of Christians and we don’t hate or judge people for being gay! I don’t know what kind of Christians you have in your family but they need to re-evaluate themselves if they would be cruel to a young child for being “gay”.

2 Likes

Well if they don’t like it cut them off, kids before toxic relatives and let’s face it if he is they will probably tear him down emotionally, he doesn’t need that, no one does

2 Likes

As long as your there supporting his decision he will be ok anyone in the family that has anything negative to say tell them to go to hell period point blank they don’t have to accept who he is but they sure aren’t perfect enough to talk down about him and throw biblical quotes at them because the only one that can judge is the good lord himself a mother knows there child so if you have a feeling he is gay then he probably is just continue to love praise and support him be his rock it’s confusing enough at that age to be themselves and then to be gay is also difficult because of ignorant close minded individuals you got this mama and he has you

2 Likes

You can control no one but yourself. Just be prepared and love him.

1 Like

Make sure before he fully comes out to you that you find ways to tell him you accept him and that you don’t care what anyone even your family thinks.
Do the same with your family.

My baby is 4 months but I told my family even while pregnant I don’t care who he loves and that they can either support him like I will or just not be part of our lives. He is a baby so we don’t know anything but it doesn’t matter.

It’s ok to assume but don’t say anything until he has made the choice , as for family if they don’t accept it then they are no longer family.

I think as long as he has your support he will be ok. Whether they accept it or not is their loss because he isn’t less of who he is because he is gay. If they loved him before they should love him just the same because being gay doesn’t change who you are. My daughter is 20 and is bi she has been since she was about 14/15 and I support her 100% love is love and as long as she is treated well and respected that’s all that matters. My advice is let him come to you when he is ready and let him know that no matter what anyone thinks you have his full support and I know he will be just fine. I think you as his mom is what will matter the most to him. Im so glad he has a good momma like you. Many blessings

2 Likes

As a Christian I have gay friends and family members. If your son does come out as gay and they have a issue with it I would remind them that as a Christian it is not our place to judge others but to love them and accept them as Jesus does. It is not our sin to carry. They can pray for him but not judge him or damn him. Just continue to show him love and support :heart:

The more you put into it, the more he will. Try not to react if family reacts negatively when/if he does decide to come out. Be an example. show him living your life to make yourself happy and not worrying about what anyone thinks is not selfish, it’s necessary. If you get upset about others comments he definitely will. Just let him know Mamas got his back no matter who says what. You two are in it together.

Tell him you love him and he can tell you anything and you’ll love him no matter what.

1 Like

Just love him and defend him, shun those that dont accept him exactly as he is. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

My family is mostly Christian and they would accept one of us being gay. They might not approve but they would never treat anyone different !

1 Like

He is 12 for fucks sake!!!

1 Like

Leave him be! Don’t harp on in any way! He has enough at his age to contend with in growing up!

2 Likes

Speaking from experience. Give your family a bit more credit. My oldest son came out at 14. My brother and my grandma were both anti-gay both were very open about it. But they both love my son and while they still don’t agree with it they have toned down a lot. They are both super supportive of him. I think that you should wait for him to tell you. Then slowly let him decide to tell your family. Just be there with him show your support. If they love him they will follow suit. If they do not cut them off. He needs positivity and acceptance. He’s got a long road ahead of him and it will not be an easy one. He needs his mama to be fierce. I understand your fear completely. I’ve been there. Just love your son.

2 Likes

Tell your family off if they have a problem with it. Like honestly. He’ll just be glad you are there for him.

As a Christian, they should accept him. They don’t have to agree with his lifestyle but judging him, in God’s eyes, is just as bad as homosexuality. I’m also a Christian and have a niece that is bi. I don’t agree with her life’s choice, but she’s my niece and I love her still the same.

1 Like

Support him 100%. Your family doesn’t need to know right now. Make him a priority.

1 Like

Its your son love him dont worry about them theyll come around

1 Like

Best thing you can do is be his constant. Screw the uptight family. My friend came out to her mom, she’d been stressing for weeks. So she tells her mum, mom says “I know, still love you. Can you hand me the laundry basket?” She was so happy when she talked about it later, because she’d built it up in her head that it would go badly. Her mom is still awesome, btw. #lifegoals

1 Like

Don’t worry what any one else thinks. Love and support your son.:heart:

I would mute the world and continue to love my son for who he is, not who he loves.

Your family needs to make their own choice and if that means they have no contact with him or you, then thats their loss!

1 Like

Why are you waiting for him to come out? Would you expect him to tell you if he is hetrosexual? Just let your son know how much you love him and that there is nothing he could ever do that would change that for you and let it be. If he feels he needs to tell you he will.

1 Like

Don’t assume Christian’s are going to condemn, etc. It’s 2019.
If they do, that’s religion not Christianity, which is wrong.

Good for you. He,ll need your support of it,s true.

Being a Christian isn’t about judging other people. It’s about having a relationship with God. I am a Christian and I do take my faith seriously and what the Bible says is Sin, is sin. HOWEVER Christians forget that we’ve all sinned and fallen short of Gods glory. The one thing I would tell you to stress to your son is. To not wrap his identity up in the fact that he’s gay. He’s so much more than a boy who likes Boys. His identity doesn’t have to be rooted in his sexuality. And make sure he knows that his Christian family do not hate him. They love him.

1 Like

What do you care…What can of religion is that? As long as you love him who care? Is on them.

Ummmm well I would say shut out the toxic people…and move on. BUT maybe your son is straight as an arrow or he is bi…or he is gay. If you truly want to find out…maybe open up a dialog about different sexuality…you can also use this as the talk…and mix in the other stuff.

I honestly wouldn’t care not one little bit what my family thought of it! That’s my son not theirs and I would have his back and love him 100%!

4 Likes

Simple: make it clear that either they’re kind, compassionate, and supportive, or they’re out if your life and his. Tell them that and STICK TO IT. Don’t force him to be around hateful, bigoted people because they’re “family.” Don’t defend their bigotry, even when they make it palatable to you.

Put ur son first it’s none of their business

If and when your son comes out, make sure he is your top priority. If the rest of the family isn’t excepting, or if they’re that fake Christian that just uses their religion to oppress others, cut them off. You’re not loosing anything by cutting him off from a bunch of toxic people that are going to make him feel bad for something he cant control.

Awww that’s amazing. Just always support him. :two_hearts::two_hearts:

If the are true Christians they accept him. No matter if he’s gay or not. I’m Christian n I accept people for who they are but not what they are. In the Bible it says love thy neighbor. Which says to me love who they are do you have to be happy with that choice they made no. My family went through the same thing except with my niece. And what I told her it’s her choice n her right to be gay or straight. Don’t let other stop you from doing what u want. Because no matter what God loves you. Even though it does say a man shouldn’t lay with another man like he does with a woman and reverse. And no one can judge you but him. And she is happy with her girlfriend n I love them both. It’s all about if you truly believe in his word if you do then they know love is the answer and move on.

FUCK YOUR FAMILY OF THEY ARENT ACCEPTING. Some Christians are ugliest people.

My argument to my hyper religious family was god created me in his image I am exactly as I was meant to be questioning how I am is questioning gods will

1 Like

Do not ever stay quiet when he can hear the bad being spoken on him. Defend him like your life depends on it.

1 Like

That’s a big decision for him to make abt himself so when the time comes and he tells you you sit and listen and then let him know how you feel and let him know there are many in thos world that would judge him and that’s not okay but he can choose not to let it affect him. Ppl hate on others for many reasons but ignoring the haters makes life so much less stressful

dO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR FAMILY JUST LOVE, HIM LOVE HIM. tHINGS WILL WORK OUT.

your family might be related to you genetically -but if that’s how they act -than that’s not your family. Period .

Dr Laura always says that if the family can’t act healthy . Than what “they” want doesn’t matter . A long time ago You choose to be a mom - your family comes second - he ALWAYs comes
First .

Aka : What they think about ur son is none of HIS business.

Ask yourself : Is my family a healthy group of people whom will not precipitate more trauma ?

If not; than why bother ?

Again - Is that the influence you want for your child ?

Because I’m telling What’s Going to do the most damage is Exposing him to people who are supposed
To love him unconditionally and don’t.

To that’s is an awful thing to do .

Ps.

what your family thinks about you as mom is none of YOUR business . Remember that

It amuses me that “Christians” are so judgemental. As long as you stand by and help your son learn to believe in himself and stand up for himself, your “Christian” family can think whatever makes them feel self righteous. It’s not their life.

Remember that he’s way more afraid than you are and it’s your job to love him UNCONDITIONALLY. And please forgive me for my abrupt and direct words but if they don’t accept then F them

32 Likes

Just support him completely! Love him through all that may come at him. His happiness is most important, not the views from others that are not living his life. He will learn that those who judge him for who he is, have a closet full of skeletons, they won’t acknowledge.

12 Likes

Just let him know no matter what you will always be there for him and support him! Shut down your family when they get negative or judgy! Just let him know he’s not alone

3 Likes

It does not matter what everyone else thinks or says. You are his mother and if you love him anyway. That’s all that matters and you should tell your family no actually demand that they respect you and your son and keep their mouths shut. Otherwise cut them out before they really hurt him

Love and support him no matter what and never let him think for even a moment that you side with them. He has to know that you have his back no matter what anyone else says. If you have to cut people out, then so be it.

8 Likes

I’m so glad your son has you for a mom. Having been raised in a Christian family and becoming pagan was a big deal. I have a feeling it will probably not go well with them but just align yourself with family, friends and support groups who are there for you both. Hey if you want you can have some cyber Aunt’s and uncle’s on here to support you both. Oh and by the way I’m bi and my kids and husband are accepting of me!

1 Like

If your Family can’t accept your Son as a Person and love Him as Family.
Reguardless of His Preference in Guys.Thats fine them not agreeing with it.Personally they should still love Him.If They don’t accept Him then He don’t need them as Family.

1 Like

Your son, like everyone else, deserves love and support and to know that God created him and loves him as he is. Stick with him and just keep the communication flowing so that he feels safe coming to you when he’s ready. Stand by him, even if your family doesn’t and he will be ok.

2 Likes

The only thing that matters is his mother being there for him and supporting him. If the rest of the family has a problem with it show them the door. This could really build a stronger relationship for you two.

14 Likes

Tell him it doesn matter who accepts him because you do. And if they dont accept him they dont have to be in his life.

1 Like

I think if I suspected it I would try to open dialogue and it’s doesn’t matter what the family thinks make sure he is surrounded by light and love and acceptance always!!

If you suspect your family probably does as well. I would not push him to talk, nor would I start a conversation with your family. Wait for him to come to you. He knows you love him. When he is ready your love and support will guide you both.

4 Likes

Just remember they are family, but u are his #1 family…if they don’t except him they r not really family, family has ur back no matter what!!

1 Like

Just explain to him that while you are fine with it and accepting, the rest of the family will not be that way. It will be his decision if he wants to tell them all, but he should know ahead of time that they will not be accepting.

1 Like

When the time does come you should be honest with him about how family members might feel about it. Even though it shouldn’t be an issue there are some people that only care about their own beliefs and point of view. As long as he has his immediate families love and support he should be just fine :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

I am a believer of Jesus, that doesn’t mean I close my mind or heart, they may , but Love him no matter what! I would rather see someone admit freely what and who they are, than cover a multitude of sins!

4 Likes

If it were me, and he were to come out and some of my family wasn’t accepting then they simply wouldn’t be welcome. If they feel so strongly about how he chooses to live HIS life then that negativity isn’t worth your time.

2 Likes

True Christians love everyone as christ told them to do. If you pick & choose who is worthy to love, you aren’t a Christian at all. You just keep being a strong support for your baby!! If they let him down, then you just love him through it momma!! :blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

12 Likes

Seems like you’re already on the right track. Trust me, family support is great but even better when it’s your own mom.

2 Likes

He is your son. Your job is to love him no matter what. It could be way worse, like an incurable serious disease

Wait until he comes to you. If he is don’t worry about your family. As long as you are there for him is all that counts.

Be the kind of Mom he needs you to be. Accepting, loving, understanding and most importantly THERE. There for the hard times. There for the happy times. There for any struggle he may face from whoever or whatever in his life. Encourage him to be himself. Assure him that your love for him is unconditional. That his sexuality doesn’t affect a single thing you feel for him.

13 Likes

Love him unconditionally,and stand your ground with the family. Let them know that he is your number 1 priority and you support him.

3 Likes

This is a difficult thing. But if you think so it probably is so. Talk to him, break the ice. Work with him on how to let the family know if he wants to. You can be a stable support. He is pretty young so you will be able to help him. I will pray for you both. :pray::pray::pray:

I had a similar experience with my daughter Nola Darling. My family is pretty difficult as well. At a family gathering I got up in front of everyone and said my daughter is gay. It shouldn’t bother anyone who she’s attracted to but if it does know that anyone who doesn’t accept my child isn’t accepted by me. Momma bear. It went better than expected. I just wanted to announce it with me as her cushion. :heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart:

1 Like

He is your son and that bond can never be broken ever . coming from a strong christian background i can fully understand your concerns however. There will always be some negatives in life . i have friends and family that are gay but .they understand how i feel and it is not my job to condemn them . if this is your sons desire then he will have to accept that not everyone agrees with his choice…conversely there are just as many that embrace it . only time will tell what he decides. You will always support and love no matter because you are mom .

1 Like

Love him unconditionally and if family won’t then they don’t deserve to have him in there life and it’s there loss

When your child decides to tell everyone your family should be open minded at least not mean. All Christian sin everyone does and so each person does that in their own ways. No sins are worse than other so no one can judge. Remind people that when they decide that they want to have an opinion.

2 Likes

Wow, the comments on this page are wonderful! What a great group! Do what they say. Love and support him. When the time comes, tell your family that you love and support him
Period.

7 Likes

Why don’t you wait till he decides. He is questioning himself. Do not jump the gun and force him into a decision until he is ready. You may push one way or the other and your choice may not be his ultimate end. Your pushing may push him in a direction he may not be actually going. Just ignore it. He will tell you if and when he is ready.

1 Like

Maybe, hopefully you’re worrying for nothing. A true Christian wouldn’t be overly judgmental. Or at least they shouldn’t be. :woman_shrugging: I’m very religious and while I don’t necessarily agree with it, I’d never ever judge anyone for their life choices

2 Likes

Be a mama bear your kid is your kid he comes first they can be on board or not you support him

best advice I can give is let him know he can alwalys come to you with anything and you will have his back NO MATTER WHAT.

2 Likes

Always love your son. No matter what, never stop loving him. That doesnt mean you have to agree with his lifestyle but it means that no matter what, he will always be your son, and you’ll always be his mother.

1 Like

God accepts everyone if your family is strong you should sit down togeather and let your son choose to explain his feelings