Advice on having a water birth?

I’m due at the end of the month; I’m planning a home water birth and looking for tips & or tricks, anything that helped others who have been through similar.

5 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Advice on having a water birth? - Mamas Uncut

No tricks… Just relax and resign to it. Water is a game changer!!!

There’s a pretty good documentary called The Business of being Born I think, and it’s about natural and water birthing

1 Like

I had a water birth with my last. My best advice is to not overly commit to the water birth. I moved about the room and used what I wanted (yoga ball, rope swing, shower head in circles on my belly) I didn’t plan on a water birth. I ended up in the tub and then couldn’t move :rofl: the water helped reduce the pain quite a bit

1 Like

I gave birth to my youngest in an ambulance. My advice is go get an epidural
Lol JK Good luck to you I hope you have an easy labor!

2 Likes

Following because I’d like to see what people say. Unfortunately I was never strong enough for a water birth. Give me that epidural! Best of luck to you!

Squatting and focus on breathing.

I have a friend that had a water birth and she said that the difference she had with a hospital and the water were totally different. She would do the water birth over the hospital any time

1 Like

I had a water birth at the maternity ward with my first, and having a home waterbirds with this one, one thing I’ve been advised to do, make sure to keep hot water on had to keep warming up the pool.

I always wanted to have a water birth :star_struck:

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Advice on having a water birth? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

I wanted one so bad! Unfortunately I wasn’t able to with any of mine and it made me so sad! If you can do it, girl do it!!

2 Likes

I didn’t get the home birth but a natural birth with no intervention was my easiest birth ever and she was so easy to nurse compared to the other two.
I wanted to move about but once my water broke I went into this calm little place in my head and just kinda allowed my body and baby to do its thing.
I delivered within 4 hours of active labor. There is a hip back pressure thing that your midwife should know and your birthing partner can help as well.
Overall trust yourself your mind body and baby. The last cm is where I was like nope we are done not today then I felt I had the biggest poop, your vagina catches fire the head comes out you breathe for a moment and no pain after that just a fat little baby.
I hope all goes smoothly for everyone. You are a badass!

1 Like

I did a midwife led hospital water birth with my second. If I could guarantee the third and fourth would be as easy I would get pregnant again in a second. Until I was crowning though, the water made me relax so much I slowed my contractions. I was in and out of the tub 3-4 times before my water broke and my son was born. My first was an induction so I didn’t have a choice how I birthed her.
The Overall labour was longer than the induction but the active labour was shorter.
Also I had the ring of fire with my first but nothing with my second in the water. He was 6ibs 9oz and she was 7ibs 7oz.

1 Like

I hired a doula along with my midwife. GAME CHANGER!
My midwife focused on the clinical care, mine and baby’s vitals
Where as my doula, focused on my emotional well-being and pain tolerance
And after birth my doula fed me dinner and cleaned my house, where as my midwife focused on baby and her vitals

5 Likes

Just get a midwife and have 911 ready. Had i went threw with my plan for my daughter her neck would of snapped she was coming out wrong. Not saying dont do it just be very aware at home births dont always go to plan and be ok with a hospital helping if need be.

I had a water birth and it was honestly the best experience!!! I would definitely recommend x

Use the yoga ball as much as you can , and try keyword try to do lounges on it as you bounce carefully with your legs spread as far as you can get them without falling this helps spread this pelvis wide and helps baby slide into position…worked wonders for my daughter!!

I did a beautiful natural home birth with my last one and about to next jan again. My husband helped a lot (whatever support person you have), I used the big pregnancy ball to lean on through contractions, I got in the shower and had the water run on during, humming through the contraction, I basically tried any position that would help me get through contractions you just gotta see what works for you at the time. There’s also essential oils, music, breathing exercises, could have hubby or midwife rub your back etc

I had a water birth at the hospital & it was the most pleasant experience I highly recommend it. Definitely planning on another in the future for sure.