Advice on keeping an infant warm at night?

I put my son in footie pajamas that zip up after I put a onesie and socks on him and he is perfect.

My house stays between 69-70 and my son sleeps in pajamas without the feet. He’d sweat to death in anything more. (We cosleep so that would be why, and he is also covered up to about his belly button.)

1 Like

My house always stayed around 72-75f my son would sweat his ass off,but he slept with clothes on mittens and socks… and even covered in a blanket lol… he slept on my body pillow in his crib with a blanket for about the first 2months till we got him off the pillow and in the bed with out it… it was the only way I could lay him down and go do stuff because the body pillow had my sent and all on it

76 is waaaay to hot I don’t have kids but we turn ours down to 67 at night and 68,when its mild outside

2 Likes

I lived in MN where it gets-50 w windchills at times and both my kids as infants used cotton footed pjs, sometimes thinner fleece ones and then a swaddle sack and as they got a little older a sleep sack w the pjs wi the furnace set between 68-72 depending on how windy it was

1 Like

Wow! 76 degrees? Our house is 66 or 67 :joy:

76 is much too warm for a baby, they say 68 to 72 is ideal to prevent sids. Just because their skin feels cool to the touch, doesnt mean they are cold. If he wakes up crying, or is shivering, then he is cold. Anything warmer than 72 increases the risk of sids. The hospital told me even before they released me, that babies are comfortable in just a onesie in 68⁰

3 Likes

We keep our house at 74° and my boys wake up with cold hands. They seems to sleep fine. We have a space heater with a thermostat that turns off/on.

I cover all my kids with blankets if my house was even a inch cold I always made sure my kids had socks on there feet with the pjs on

Does your dad know your thermostat is set at 76?! Good lord…my A/C kicks on at 68.

3 Likes

They have these little sleep sacks at like Kohl’s or Buy Buy Baby. I put one over my little ones pjs and she sleeps just fine :blush:

4 Likes

I second a swaddle sack they are great.

76 is pretty warm already. Our house is usually around 66-68 degrees at night and i have my 1 month old in a long sleeve and swaddle. I also put a blanket over him but make sure it’s no where near his face.

2 Likes

76 is way to hot to keep your house

4 Likes

Socks with footie pjs

I keep my home at 75 degrees but we have to with our older home and windows. So it says 75 but in most areas it is only around 70 degrees so i completely get the higher set temperature if that is the case.

Our house stays at 68 and 70 in bath nights but both my sons hate being warm. The youngest 10wks old just wears a onesie and a very thin blanket on legs. I think momma is the one that freezes lol.

I used this for it daughter! She wouldn’t sleep at all until I wrapped her in this. It was a.life saver and kept her nice and warm

We use Marino kids sleep sacks. They are expensive but I think they are worth the peace of mind. They are made from new zearland wool

2 Likes

At 76 I’d be turning on the AC! That’s too warm for a baby, which is increasing the risk for SIDS alone, never mind bundling then up at that temp. At that temp mine would sleep in a single light layer, maybe just a diaper shirt with bare legs.

1 Like

Ask the doctor. Baby should not be cold .
I’m extremely anemic and cold all the time even in the summer.

1 Like

Dang our house is at 71 and I feel it’s still warm in here and drop it to 69. If baby is in fuzzy footie pjs that should be fine

When my daughter was an infant, I also noticed her hands and feet always felt freezing to the touch! Her dr just said its normal and it has to do with infant circulation. We used thin jammies and a few sleep sacks then moved on to onsite footed pajamas, got a baby monitor with a thermostat and set “temp boundaries” to notify us if it got too hot or cold. 76 is definitely on the higher end! We keep the upstairs on 69 or 70. Infants just have a hard time regulating temperature when they are little. Is your little one waking up?? If they are sleeping, I would ideally think the baby was ok. But I’d still low the temp a little

Fleece sleep sacks were my favorite. They make ones with sleeves or without. But either way I use put a long sleeved shirt under. Makes the diaper accessible and you’re not fighting with snaps.
Regarding the cool to the touch. Mine is now 7 and still wakes up with her face cool to the touch unless it’s hot out. If she were actually cold she’d say something.

dress appropriately for bed but just make sure baby is not sleeping directly under a blowing vent, babies are tough and you will see patchy coloring if she is cold

Oh wow!!! 75, how do you even breath too sleep… Ours is set at 71 all year long… I recommend you get a magic Merlin… They are but"expensive" but will work it.

Put a room thermometer in his room and check periodically how cold it gets in there. That way you know the true temp.of his room and can adjust if needed. If it’s actually is cold in his room get the pajamas that cover his hands and feet. And a sleep sack if needed. If it’s to hot then perhaps he is sweating in his sleep which is making him cold and clammy in the morning?

My mama always put a long sleeve onsie under some footy pjs and socks on my son when she kept him bc she slept like an Eskimo lol

1 Like

Our room is between 68-70. We dress our son in long sleeve and legged jammies with socks and then we put him in a long sleeved fleece sleep sack.

Also, go by the temp of the back of his neck, not anywhere else. If that area is hot, he is too warm. If it’s cold, he needs more layers

Fleece jammies and fleece zip up bag. A lot of times I would put a onesie and socks under the footed pajamas and that would help as well. If hes already in fleece and being swaddled I would think hes probably warm enough. away to check their temperature is feel the back of their neck. If it’s warm than they are warm but if it’s cold the rest of them is cold :blush:

1 Like

Yikes that’s way too warm

Study’s show that babies who over heat often die from sids. I turn my air down to 66 at night 68 during the day :slightly_smiling_face: we normally do foot pj and the sleep sack

I have 5 kids all have sleep with a light weight blanket and we have kept our house 70 degrees year round dr will tell you if you are comfortable then your baby is comfortable if you cold your baby is cold if you hot your baby is hot so adjust according to how you feel

If you over dress your baby in the winter to keep them warm which most good parents do they want their babies to be warm can also make them sick cause the layers of clothes make them sweat which in turn makes them cold so they get sick my pediatrician and grandma told me this

A EdenPure in his room They are safe they do not raise your electric bill you can touch him as they’re running and it warms the Room from the ceiling to the floor and it has a temperature gauge on it that it will turn off at the Room gets too warm

Yikes. I would sweat to death. We keep our house at 68

Girl maybe someone should come look at your heating system. If my heat was at 76 degrees we’d be melting :sob:

1 Like

This makes me feel better. Our house is set to about 73 or 72 depending on the night. In kansas, we have some sort of a winter and it gets below freezing most nights, I thought my daughter was cold but now I know, shes really not.

I used fleece footed winter pjs

Layers and all of mine slept with a small blanket from day one

Sleep sacks are made just for this reason. Blanket sleepers , too are good . Undershirts. Thermal under ware. 2 pairs of thin p.j.s .

We set our house to 70… we use fleece pjs, a Halo fleece sleep sack and a hat. Some nights I will use a blanket from below his chest and down and tuck it under the bassinet mattress so he cannot move the blanket.

I use fluffy pjs and a sleep sack they are a bit thicker

Long sleeve feeties PJs.

1 Like

Use layers. Put a onesie, socks, and then his sleeper. Also, put the mittens that are used to stop him from scratching on his hands.

2 Likes

His skin is cool because his body is trying to cool itself from overheating. If its 76 in your home and you have him in fuzzy pjs, that’s too much

31 Likes

I didn’t like the sleep sacks, he seemed to manage to almost get tangled in them. So I didn’t use. Def just do what ur doing :slight_smile: feeties and a swaddle

1 Like

Hat,onesie,thick pj, socks, mittens on hand.

1 Like

You shouldn’t keep the house overly warm at night to help reduce SIDS! When we sleep at night our body temp falls. A footy onesie and a swaddle blanket is sufficient. Remember if you are hot they will be hot, if you are chilly so will they!!

8 Likes

76 in your home! Believe me, that baby is fine! Our heater is 65 at night and 70 during the day. It was 19 last night.
76 is plenty warm!

8 Likes

70% of your body heat escapes thru the top of your head put a hat on that isn’t loose enough to slip off easily keep a onsie on under jammies to keep the “core” insulated should help

Omg…76…poor kid will fry

11 Likes

That’s too warm. Nursery should be between 68°-72°… as long as his core is warm he is good.

2 Likes

Layer undershirts and clothing, put baby hat and mittens on… I put socks on my baby even under her outfits…

Also putting insulated plastic on the windows in baby’s room will help with drafts and such

My son’s have always had blankets since birth even with pj’s babies get cold, Blankets are always a must in our house 🤷🤷🤷🤷🤷🤷

Who can sleep in a 76 degree house?! I would be cool to the touch too bc of the sweat I would be pouring! We keep ours at a comfortable 67/68 degrees mostly year round and everyone is comfy.

12 Likes

A cool baby is better than a hot baby and him feeling cool is bc he’s probably too hot and that can give him hypothermia bc their body’s can’t regulate their body temperature

1 Like

If he isn’t waking up he isn’t cold . Some peoples skin is just cooler to the touch .

Cooler … That’s too warm

1 Like

My son sweats in his sleep. His hair and body / clothes are drenched sometimes from sweat. We keep our ac at 68_70°at night he sleeps in his pjs or a onsie and a small blanket.

:thinking: Try turning down the heat. 76 and bundled is a bit much… he is cold because he is trying to cool down.

2 Likes

If it’s 76 in your house then he shouldn’t need anything else. His skin probably feels cool because he’s trying not to overheat in fuzzy jammies and a swaddle.

We have a big house and it gets very chilly especially with all the windows we have! We can crank up the heat but late night and early mornings is always chilly regardless. We insulated the windows and lift the curtains up to sit on the window sill to prevent any draft that may come in. My daughter is 4 months so all she knows so far is the cold season lol. We always keep a onesie on under her pajama and we keep her in a footed long sleeve pajama and swaddle her in a nested bean swaddle sack. You don’t want to overdo it, a cooler baby is safer than a hot baby. Babies over heat faster and easier than us. My daughter would sometimes have a cold nose but she was always fine. I wouldnt worry too much about it

Lower the temperature in your house to at least 70 and use a humidifier in is room !!! Moisturizer makes the room warmer !!

3 Likes

Swaddle him in a another blanket.Use 2 blankets or a fleece blanket & maybe put a little baby hat on him

What does the doctor say about the temperature of a nursery?

I think this is a question for your doctor , your baby may have a problem stabilizing his body temperature.

1 Like

If you touch his back UNDER the clothes and it is warm, he is fine. :slight_smile: Dont worry about people saying 76 is too warm. Babies run a bit colder then us. You dont want to over dress him tho, so switch the fuzzy under outfit to just a onesie. Here a handy guide for parents who just arent sure. Hope it helps.
80+ Diaper
78+ Short sleeve onesie
75-77 Sleep sack n Short sleeve onesie.
71-74 Sleep sack n long one piece
68-70 Sleep sack, long one piece and short sleeve onesie,
64-68 Sleep sack, long one piece, long sleeve onesie.
61-63 Sleep sack, long one piece, long sleeve onesie and socks.

6 Likes

Ask the pediatrician

Have him co-sleep with you🤷‍♀️ Solves a lot of issues.

3 Likes

i keep my house at 76/77. His room is usually about 74/75. I don’t think it’s too hot. I do fuzzy pjs and that’s it :relaxed:

If he is to warm and sweats then he will be damp and get cold

If you are worried about SIDS? Get an Angel monitor.

1 Like

Turn up the heat at night then

Thin onesie underneath the jammies if you must

I did
Double socks. Single if the PJs had footies.
A Onesie.
Pajamas.
Sleep sack.

A singlet and a terry toweling onsie or a track suit sleeping bag maybe

Thats fine. Just bc his skin is cool diesnt mean hes cold. If anything id worry hes too warm.

1 Like

Have you not got the wearable sleep bags where you live? My daughter wouldn’t wear a blanket.

I don’t see HOW he could be cold if the house is 76 and he has fuzzy pjs plus a swaddle. He has to be sweating!

3 Likes

have you tried instead lighter pjs and a sleeping sack? they have them in different thickness ( usually winners or marshalls sells them )

Sleep with her or him

https://www.halosleep.com/halo-sleepsack-winter-weight-blue-penguin/

1 Like

If your baby is cold he will let you know. He will be waking you up. You can use a “sleep nest”

Avoid co-sleeping. People disregard the warnings so easily. But it DOES kill. Who would ever want to take that chance??

The sleep sack/nest will work.

Put a blanket up to the window so as to keep the cold out that way.
Temperature should be between 70-71 at all times as it inhibits illnesses and can keep child sleeping happier longer. If he was cold he would be awake instead of asleep. If he is sleeping fine, then he is fine.

1 Like

Use the swaddle and a sleeping bag/grobag

Do you feel cold at night? If you don’t feel cold at night my guess is you’re baby probably isn’t feeling cold either. If your baby was feeling cold at night he would’ve gotten sick by now or waking up every time he feels cold. The best thing to do is wrap your baby in Halo sleep sack swaddle. They’re the best!