AITA for not wanting to get a gift for my MIL?

AITA for not wanting to get my husbands mom anything for Christmas? She is never happy about anything that I pick out for her and constantly complains…so this year I decided not to waste money on her and my husband is upset about it…

39 Likes

Do a joint gift with husband. Let him pick it. Both sign your names.

10 Likes

My husband buys for his family and I buy for mine. Much easier that way.

56 Likes

Hubby can buy a gift for her. Period.

tell your husband to get her present

2 Likes

Why not exactly? Could be for several different reasons

Hubby can go buy a gift for mom and take full credit for it

36 Likes

Get her a gift card to a place she likes to eat or amazon!!

8 Likes

I would tell him to get her something then.

45 Likes

Don’t get her anything and see what she has to complain about next​:joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Does she have a favorite charity? Most are flattered if you make a donation in their name. It’s also the type of gift that makes it difficult to complain about because one looks bad if they object to a personalized charitable gift.

3 Likes

Tell her he picked it :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Let him pick something out but don’t leave her out!!

3 Likes

My husband buys for his own family and i buy for mine.

1 Like

Get her a gift. It’s your husbands mother, have some respect.

18 Likes

Have him pick it out then

He can get her one them LMAO

1 Like

If her gift choice is an issue be like here’s a visa gift card

16 Likes

Tell him to buy it… simple

1 Like

Move to another country and change your name to Zephyr.

nta. tell husband to do it

1 Like

Let your husband buy something ?

2 Likes

Tell your husband to buy her a gift

1 Like

Nah
You’re not the AH in this situation.
He can get his DOM a gift if that’s so important to him.

If y’all have kids, have the kids make her keepsakes or some sort! My kids have made my grandpa coffee mugs by coloring on them with sharpie, throwing them in the oven for a few, and then spraying a sealant on them(can’t remember the name). We’ve made flower pots, and bouquets of flowers with hands/feet prints. I’ve ordered my mom a blanket with a picture of all of us kids and her grandkids on it. My favorite for my mom and my ex’s mom was a wood framed “scrabble board” that had all of their kids’ names on it that we made. Just got everything from a craft store… Maybe that’s why she “complains” idk just food for thought.

2 Likes

Tell him to ween himself off the teet and if he’s that butthurt about it, he can go buy his mom a gift himself.

1 Like

Or tell hubby to buy his mother’s present

7 Likes

Get her something simple but useful or get her a Visa gift card . Who can complain about free money right?

Give her a gift card or cash…let her figure it out herself

4 Likes

Buy her a children’s book that teaches being grateful, or a self help book for healing the inner child or something :woman_shrugging:t4:

14 Likes

Get her a gift card that way she can get what she wants without bitxhing and hubby won’t have his head so far up her vagina crying about it.

Nope. Shes not your mom. Shes his mom let him get her something.

8 Likes

His mom his problem.
I have never brought for mil or fil. 19 years
In but we don’t see them and he doesn’t talk to them so why bother.

9 Likes

A nice poinsettia plant & a gift card & call it a day!

1 Like

I’m just surprised she expects gifts

Just get her a gift card !!!

Let your husband get her something, she’s his mom.

2 Likes

Get her a nice scarf and be done with it :blush:

He can buy the present then lol

Have your husband get it. I understand the respect aspect some people are mentioning but that goes both ways!

3 Likes

Let him do it…or get her a gift card. Yta if you don’t gift her

1 Like

I’ve been married 18 years, together for 24. I bought one gift initially. She hated it and the beautiful thoughtful wrapping. It’s been my husband’s responsibility to buy her gifts since then. She knows it, too and why.

43 Likes

Husband should shop for his mom…

I agree…tell hubby to buy something. Leave it in his court. If he don’t get anything the blame will be on him and not something else for her to complaint to or about you.
I always pick out for my MIL but he has to agree 100% before I buy.

3 Likes

Let him pick a gift and say it’s from both of you. You don’t have to do something individually.

Talk to her. Ask her for ideas of things she may like or need.

Hubby can pick his own gift for his mother and realize how ungrateful she is.

3 Likes

He can buy his own mother a gift…what a concept.

2 Likes

Make your husband buy something for her then. And if it’s an issue it’s on him and the. He can see why you didn’t want to

His mother, his responsibility. Does he buy your mother a gift?

Why does it have to fall on you to get her a gift? Husbands are actually capable if made to do it

I would have been like hey idk what to get your mom… you’re in charge of that this year… don’t tell her and see if she complains. If she does tell her that her son picked it out and to take it up w him :rofl:

Just because she doesn’t like what you pick doesn’t mean you toss it all away. Make your hubby buy her a gift. He is grown and I’m sure able to find something

13 Likes

That’s the giving spirt! :laughing:

If your husband is bothered by it then he should go get something for her?
That way when she complains about it, he can deal with it.

It’s his mother, he can go get it himself, especially if she’s rude about it.

Let him get her something see if she likes that

Tell him to go shop for her then!

My ex MIL was the same, no matter what we gave her she wanted something different. My favorite was when she said, “this is what we want this year, we’re tired of getting useless stuff.” The fact was every single year we had asked her what she wanted and gave her what she asked for, one year she wanted a piece of pottery like the kind I collected, so we got her that–well she opened it and stated she had wanted one with a heart on it, the next year we got her one with a heart on it, well she then said she had wanted one with a cover on it! I finally just decided we would ignore her comments as she was just a miserable person and I kept buying whatever we wanted to. Just be the bigger person and keep getting her something, make sure your husband helps do this!

2 Likes

I don’t give at Christmas, too many on that list, and I tell them not to give me gifts, I just enjoy being with them.

I can’t wrap my head around a grown woman complaining about a gift!

3 Likes

You are absolutely right!!!

Does she get you guys gifts ? If yes than you need to give a gift in return even if just for your hubby. It’s his mom.

1 Like

I don’t buy gifts for adults.

1 Like

Why is it up to you to get MIL a gift iam sure hubby is quiet capable

4 Likes

He can get her something if he’s upset can’t he? Or are you the $ boss?

If he wants his mother to have a gift, then tell him to buy it!! No need for you to stress yourself out!!

Gift card. She’ll complain anyway but it looks worse if you get nothing

He can buy a gift for her.

Have him choose her gift. When she complains, tell her that her son picked it

Have you considered asking her what she wants for Christmas?

Or, your husband can buy for her

Gift cards! They can pick out their own junk!

As my Mother always told us “be the better person”, she is,in fact,his Mother……I would ask him for suggestions or buy it while he is with you and ignore her remarks. You will “be the better person”

16 Likes

Why doesn’t he pick it out and say it’s from both of you?

I would just let it cool down and forget it, when Christmas comes and there’s no present for her I would just look at husband disappointed and would say you didn’t get anything for your mother?

I’d make the husband buy something.

Why isn’t he helping to pick something for her instead of putting that solely on you? All gifts come from both of us and we discuss it with eachother before deciding to see what the other thinks of the idea, but ultimately I have final decision on gifts for my family and he has final decision on his family. It’s his mother and he should be helping at the least.
ETA: If she’s impossible to buy for just get her a gift card to a place y’all know she likes and she can pick her own stuff.

Naaa get her nothing

Im sorry but even kids know to appreciate thing’s … like gifts.

What am i missing here. Shes an adult wtf

To not like it and not say something is totally different

Then complaining

Woooahhh. Buy her a sock and stick it in her mouth!!! Or a diaper and a pacifier.

Jesus crud

then tell him to shop for her

I should have seen it coming with my ex mother in law. Spent a frantic Christmas Eve with my then boyfriend finding a gift for his mom. We settled on a bathrobe. First thing she noticed was a pulled thread, and insisted it be returned. After we married, she was disappointed in our choice of gift. Got her a crockpot. SHE LIKED tops that we had purchased for my younger sisters. WHY didn’t we get that for HER. From that point on, she became his shopping dilemma

I’m concerned that I had no idea what AITA meant until I came to the comments. :woman_facepalming:t3:

Your husband should get something for her

I get the frustration. Have your husband help you brainstorm and shop for her. Think outside the realm of what you usually buy. Is there a restaurant that is her favorite? Fav store? Does she like to go to the movies? I wouldn’t just not gift her. Try to be the better person and figure out a diff solution.

Personally yes I think you are , but that could be tainted by my view of the purpose of Christmas to begin with I’m someone who believes that the purpose of Christmas is all about the giving spirit I give this time of year because I want to… If she’s never happy with anything you give her then give her a Christmas card with money that you would have spent on a gift that she wouldn’t have liked. It’s a win win , you wont upset your husband…or your MIL , by purposefully not getting her a gift during the holiday season.

Customcreations.com is one of my go to places for both my own mom and mother in law for gifts. There’s lots to chose from and you can add pics and/or names to most items. Just a suggestion most moms/grandma’s like that kind of thing.

nope! its not a requirement. if she wants a gift so bad have her kid make her a macaroni necklace. :rofl:

Why can’t he do it with his own money?

Get her a gift or money card and a note telling her to use it anyway she wish. Problem solved.

Ok this is to funny…so he’s going to act like a child knowing how she gets ? Let him buy the dam thing for her then

She would get a visa gift card. That way she can buy something of her choosing. If she complains about that :fu:t4:her. :woman_shrugging:t4:

NTA - Is there some reason your husband isn’t capable of buying a gift for his mom? It’s his mom, and she sounds ungrateful - let him deal with it or she gets nothing :woman_shrugging:t2:

Absolutely NOT !!!
You should never a ungrateful person, I will her get absolutely NOTHING

See mine is different my fil hated everything my husband bought and would tell the family they need to shop more like me. I always put a basket together of things he loved. Peanut brittle,25 gift card to whataburger, another 25 gift card to Olive Garden and $75 of scratch offs. He loved it every year

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/You-Get-What-Little-Boost/dp/1479521574?nodl=1&dplnkId=dd6edfd1-7ec6-48de-9e52-aaf4acad8630

You get what you get and you don’t throw a fit book.

Sound like she needs this book