AITA for wanting to skip my husbands family vacation and just go alone with him?

My husband and I have been vacationing with his family, but we have never gone alone before. We have a family trip coming up, but I’d rather skip out and use the money to vacation alone (we never got a honeymoon because I was pregnant with our first when we married). I’m afraid if I tell him how I feel he will think I’m selfish… what would you do if you were me?

7 Likes

Only way to find out is to talk to him. We can’t tell you what to do. But communication is vital in a marriage/relationship

4 Likes

If it’s already planned I would go on the family trip but tell husband that you want the next trip to be just you 2.

2 Likes

Tell him, if he doesn’t side with you, let him go alone, tell him you’d prefer a “vacation” where your not on other people’s schedule…he might agree with you…

1 Like

Communication is a huge part of a healthy relationship. Just tell him how you feel

2 Likes

U have done his family vacation it’s your turn to do what u want

1 Like

Communicate with him and be honest. Allow him to have his opinion and express your opinion on it as well. Just communicate and listen to each other.

Tell him and go alone, if he don’t wont to go as a couple. You’re not selfish you want some me time with or without him

Just tell him you’d like to do it. esp with the honeymoon thing.

Closed mouths don’t get fed. Tell him how you feel. Even if y’all decide to do the family trip this year, y’all could maybe plan something for next year. Hell, he may feel the same way!

How you word things will determine its success usually.

I would talk to him, not people on FB. Your insecurities are showing.

1 Like

It’s absolutely not wrong that you would like a trip alone with him. However wanting to ditch this upcoming trip to go on a trip alone…there’s a lot of practical questions that need answered:

1. How long has this trip been planned?
  2. How close to the trip are you?
  3. For the family trip…were your kids coming along? If so…what are you planning to do with them for your trip alone?
  4. Is any part of the trip dependent on you and husband being there?

It may not be the right time to go on a trip alone. It sounds like this has been planned out and is coming up quickly.
The right time to discuss this would have been before any plans for the family trip were finalized.
However it could be the right time to discuss the next trip. Which will give you both plenty of time to figure out any logistical issues (like child care. Potential increased cost of going alone and not sharing ect).

1 Like

Its your vacation too,speak up