Am I being petty?

No. You’re not wrong at all. Aunt and uncle are supposed to be save havens. Growing up my aunt was like a second mom. And now my sister will do anything for my kids and even my brother. Guys are less motherly than females are, but for him to not even give the kid dinner is beyond being cheap. It’s fucked up. You might need to reevaluate who’s in your babies lives. At the end of the day it’s not about money but love. If they can’t even show they love your kids too then fuck em. :woman_shrugging:

I would have said something when I picked my son up and realized that he wasn’t fed anything. I would have had to ask Jesus to walk away because I would’ve probably flipped some tables over. To not feed a child in your care is heartless. Did your brother not eat? Or did he eat in front of your son?

9 Likes

I feel like the food part needs a bit of clarification. Did he deny him food? Did he actually tell you that’s why he wasn’t fed or you’re assuming because you think he’s cheap. As far as the gift thing, they don’t owe anyone anything. I suggest if you expect them to gift your kids or yourself just cause you gifted them then, just don’t. :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

In reality as long as family and friends are together on those special days doesn’t really matter about gifts but for not feeding ur child I would be upset

5 Likes

Tell the entire family that holidays are potluck and price of admission is at least one dish per household :joy::woman_shrugging: gifts are optional IMO. If it bothers you then do secret Santa on Christmas, they’ll have the option to participate or not recieve a gift.

5 Likes

Wow. Teaching your kids to be materialistic imo. It’s isn’t about money and presents on bdays and holidays. The not feeding thing ok I would be upset, but I always leave cash for pizza for whenever my kids babysitter comes which usually is family. I don’t expect them to pay to feed my kids.

5 Likes

That’s sad. You’re expecting him to spend money or you won’t see him?
Apparently that’s just his style. Very petty.
The not feeding the kid is valid tho. That was crappy.

4 Likes

Are they in fact desperately poor or just cheap? Are they saving every penny for a car or a house or to have children? If they are truly strapped or saving towards something big, give them $$ to pay for food or presents for your kid/s until they are in a better position financially.

If they are miserly, is it a psychological problem or are they just selfish? What is their motivation? Do they have children of their own? Maybe they’re just clueless and you can remind them to think about how they were treated in their own childhoods.

DO sit and talk with them non-judgmentally and calmly away from the child. Maybe use “I feel ____ when you ____. Can you please ____ instead?” Write down things you want to ask them and then shut up and listen to what they have to say. Ask them how they think it feels for your son to not be fed or get gifts, no matter how humble.

Maybe you could suggest they get/make a card and promise an experience instead of a thing. Could they teach him to see, fish, cook, knit, run, paint a painting or a wall, throw a ball, work on a car, go for a hike, skip stones, etc. Exercise, education and bonding experience in one.

How are they otherwise with you and your family? Are they loving and fun and attentive? Do they neglect your son and expect him to motivate and amuse himself? Are they self absorbed or just clueless? Maybe you could give them a book (some are in comics form) about kids and parenting. Hope things get better.

I don’t like how they didn’t feed your kid but everything else is not a issue. Maybe they can’t afford gifts for anyone outside there house. People don’t have to buy anyone a gift if they can’t or don’t want to. And please don’t start doing to his kids what he has done to yours. That will make you worse then him.

2 Likes

Not feeding them is bloody nasty . I have so many nieces and nephews now I don’t always buy gifts and if I’m honest I can’t afford it but show them love in other ways but to not feed your own nephew is so disgusting

Curious if they ate themselves?? :thinking: and didn’t offer him any food??

Times might be so hard they are living on water so had nothing to give him…

1 Like

Continue to feed them occasionally, if you have to, but stop buying gifts for them and theirs. He should have fed your child!

2 Likes

The buying gifts is not a problem. NO one is obilgated to buy YOUR kid ANYTHING! Stop being petty about the gifts! When you asked your brother to pick up your son from school did you also ask him to feed him dinner? Sounds like he doesn’t have kids and maybe thought you would feed him when you picked him up. I personally would have sent snacks and dinner with my kid. I even do that to my mom’s house. He’s my kid and my responsibility. Did your son ask him for something to eat??

1 Like

100% call his b*tch azz out

3 Likes

Gifts shouldn’t be expected… He doesnt owe you or your kid anything gift wise on holidays and such. Dont teach your kids to be materialistic…but denying a child food is shitty and they probably would get the cold shoulder from me from now on.

I’m with you on this. It’s shocking that he didn’t feed your child. Ignore the nasty sanctimonious comments. You know when you’ve given too much and people just take. You are allowed to be put out. I would make them contribute next time.

5 Likes

I would address it about feeding your child if they ever had to pick him up again…stop buying them gifts .

2 Likes

Pack your kid a bagged meal for the days you won’t be able to be there to provide meals.

Them being cheap is one thing but not feeding a child is cruel!

Let them continue to be cheap. Don’t stress yourself and create drama. Just know next time not to ask them for favors. If you must, zelle them some $$ for your child to get some food.

Btw the kids shouldn’t even know about this. Don’t bring kids into adult problems. Just let them know that they are cheap and that’s the way they are and be done with it.

Won’t help . If people don’t give from the heart you can’t make them … just keep doing what you do for them . Don’t be like them

I feel like there’s info missing. Like what is his financial status? Does he have any extra money that he can spare on anything other than his household? I mean he did do you a solid and pickup your son, clearly he cares.

3 Likes

Gifts=leave it alone. Feeding them is a different story.

1 Like

Maybe they can’t afford a present
Did your son say he asked for a sandwich and they refused
Holidays are about family not about who brought what and who gave what
Be thankful for the time you can spend with your family life is to short

1 Like

Not feeding him is awful and I’m sorry that happened.
But not wanting to see your own brother because he doesn’t buy gifts for the kids, you’re going to make those kids materialistic brats.

3 Likes

Always consider what you want to have happen. Do you want to alienate your brother and sister in law? If not, just have them for holidays and don’t buy their kids a gift. You’ll resent them less. I would ask why they didn’t offer their nephew food, otherwise you’ll sit on the anger for a long time

1 Like

Did he feed his kids? That’s neglect and hella rude and messed up. I’d be pissed.

Definitely not… I’d be saying something to him and that is total b.s.

1 Like

Neglect honestly that’s f@#$

Treat them the way they treat you. Don’t pay for anything when it comes to them. And stop inviting them to events or to watch your children.

The gift thing I wouldn’t stress over but the food thing yes! I mean especially if they sat and ate in front of your kids. That is awful. That I would be mad about and say something. If they want money for food and watching your kid they need to say something before hand and agreeing to pick him up so you can make other arrangements if you don’t want to do that. They should have still fed the kids and discussed with you on payment after. That’s just petty on their behalf.

Hell yeah your an asshole, keep your materialistic judgement to yourself and realize the struggle is real for some of us. Your child is your responsibility and you should be teaching them that gifts and material shit doesn’t hold such high value. Your would rather have a 5 or 10$ gift than the presence of your family? That’s says a lot about you. Get over yourself.

Not feeding your son I would be upset about. Especially if they sat there and ate in front of him knowing he was hungry. If you know he’s cheap to this extent. If were me I would have offered to Zelle him money to feed my child. As for the gifts, that’s totally petty a gift should be appreciated but never expected or demanded. :woman_shrugging:t2:
I don’t buy gifts for any of my nieces or nephews. SO and I both have either 3 or more siblings. Hell, I lost count around the 24 mark when it comes to nieces and nephews. Not to mention combined we have 4… so buying birthday and Christmas presents for 28+ kids yearly is not going to happen.

1 Like

Absolutely not! I’m with you. It gets old after a while!

You are not an ahole when it comes to your anger about them not feeling your kid. That is RIDICULOUS. You’re slightly an ahole for expecting gifts.Dont teach your kids to be materialistic.