Am I being unreasonable by limiting social media time?

Am I as a Mother being unreasonable by limiting my 15 almost 16 year olds summer social media to 6 hours a day?

64 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Am I being unreasonable by limiting social media time? - Mamas Uncut

Absolutely not! 6 hours is actually even too much!

4 Likes

Listen my teens don’t even have social media so limiting it is amazing.

3 Likes

Consecutive 6 hours, you’re more than lenient.

1 Like

You do what is right for your family…# social media is NOT a necessity

2 Likes

It’s your kids. Raise them how you want. They’ll tell you how horrible you are I’m sure, but parent first then be a friend.

3 Likes

No that’s more than reasonable to me. You don’t want zombie kids, so I think it’s good idea!

Mine get 2 hours of device time a day.

1 Like

My 13 and 15yr olds don’t even have social media, so no, I don’t think you’re being ridiculous. No one needs to be on SM 6hrs a day.

2 Likes

My daughter is 15 and she’s got limited screen time. It’s okay to make them live in their reality. The phone can be an addiction.

1 Like

im on your side. mine only get four hours, and i still feel like that is to much

6 hrs a day is plenty, whatever happened to just going outside hanging out with friends and being kids

2 Likes

As a child who’s mom did this. Except I only got 1 hour. This included TV and computer time. This made me hate my mom so ya know be careful. Plus it’s the summer time! This is when they are supposed to be allowed to do what they want and relax and get rid of the stress from school. Idk I think it’s weird to limit the amount of time someone can do something they enjoy.

4 Likes

No. 6 hours a day is plenty of time… not unreasonable at all. Kids should also being doing other things than just social media. Good job.

No you are totally right in doing so! Heck, 6 hours is a lot!

2 Likes

Sounds more than enough.They can earn more time by reading…chores…helping w meals…do they know how to pay bills? perfect life skills to teach .

You have to do what you think is right for your kids but it might make them just want to be on social media even more

1 Like

There’s do much else to do

1 Like

Nope. 6 hours is more than enough screen time.

Nope. 6 hours is more than enough screen time.

That’s actually very reasonable

Does your child run a business on social media? Or it’s just for fun. Which specific social media?

No, mine don’t even use social media at all. 6 hours a day online is way too much for kids imo’

1 Like

I let mine do whatever on phones all summer long

2 Likes

6 hrs is just fine, you are doing a good job

6 hours is a lot. my kids only get a couple hours a day, all year around

That’s a lot of electronic time my daughter is 13 and we’ve always given her no more than 2 hours per day whether it was mixed up between TV phone gaming system computer laptop whatever 2 hours total a day of whatever electronic she chooses to be on. And social media at all is not allowed until she’s over 18 as long as she is responsible and mature enough to handle it

6 hours is like half of the awake day Mom. That’s more than enough😂

6 hours a day is an extraordinary amount of time to spend in front of a screen. I can’t imagine committing that much time per day to any activity save for sleeping. I’m sure you can think of some way to parent them for some part of that time instead.

2 Likes

Six hours still seems like too much to me. I mean…GENERATIONS of people not only survived but thrived without any social media at all. Lol. It doesn’t hurt to unplug. If anything I see it as beneficial to all health aspects to unplug everyday.

It’s not unreasonable at all. Every parent and child is different. You do what works for you and your family. :purple_heart: Personally, I can’t expect my kids to not spend hours on their phone when I can get lost on TikTok for hours and hours at a time. :joy:

1 Like

If that’s unreasonable then I’m the worst…my 15 almost 16 year old isn’t even allowed to have social media

4 Likes

No. You are being responsible and setting boundaries for your children so they don’t become addicted.

Everyone’s going to have their own opinion on this and think theirs is right. Do what feels best for you and your family. Doesn’t sound like there’s anything wrong with what you’re doing.

2 Likes

6 hours a day? Lol
I’m about to cap my teen at 2 hours a day split between morning and night. Time to reconnect with family and appreciate summer and outdoors.

2 Likes

Six hours is too much time

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: 6 hours a day. You might as well just not at that point. This seems like a fight that isn’t worth it. I agree it doesn’t need to be constant but it’s summer and keeping up with friends at that age is key

I would say 2 hours tops and even 2 hours is too much!

2 Likes

I have mixed feelings - however my parents never limited our social media time at 15 and 16. Especially during the summer. Granted we did still go hangout with our friends, worked, etc. However I personally wouldn’t limit social media for my teenagers unless they were doing inappropriate things and lost their privileges. I’d rather them be on their phones than doing other things :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

No! Honestly I’d cut it down shorter than that. Get these kids outside and go do stuff have fun . 6 hours is most of the day. I wasn’t limited but we were so active it wasn’t a big deal. Kids these days rely too much on social media.

3 Likes

Some of these people are nuts. Not letting your kid get on the internet at all? 2 hours a day? Chances are, the majority of their friends are on the internet and don’t play outside. They are teenagers, not 5 year olds. I will bet money that your kids cannot wait to get the hell away from you. The internet is the future and you are denying your children the ability to compete by keeping them off and limiting them to a ridiculous 2 hours. My daughter was fluent in Japanese by the age of 13 because of the internet. My kids can type over 80 words per minute. My 15 year old knows Calculus and is coding. Wow.

5 Likes

No but you should also be giving them something constructive to do outside of that time limit otherwise what’s the point in limiting them from something that’s keeping them occupied. Give them a couple chores and then give them something to do outside the house with or without you.

By limiting social media to half their day? Lmfaooo what? Yo….send them kids out. 6h sitting around with their face on their phone? During summer??? Do they have no friends or family or any activities they enjoy? Jeez. Time to break out or buy some board games!! Or find them jobs. Why not get a part time or volunteer at some shelter?? Something to keep them occupied.

2 Likes

I dont have limits on my teen for social media, he is always out on the go,however when he is home there are things he had to do before getting on his phone/ xbox

4 Likes

Mine would be closer to 2 hours max! Prol, 30 minutes.

You’re nice my kids can’t use their tablets til their dad gets home (4-5pm) lol

1 Like

?! No way are my kids sitting in their phones/social media for 6 hours a day any day. Go outside, play, use your imagination go swimming, bikes, basketball.

2 Likes

Yes. Social Media is how kids connect now. Just like we used to play outside. So instead of being on social media, they are parked in front of the television. Good plan. /s

4 Likes

Definitely not unreasonable lol if they think so then make it less
Equal amount of time should be spent reading and outside as on social media or other screen time. I’d give them 2 hrs while at home, no limits while they are out. They can volunteer, work part time or do extra chores for additional screen time

I would limit it to like 3 hours a day they could do 1hour in morning
1 hour in afternoon
1 hour at night or however they wanted
But I would have them help around the house and be outside and doing stuff maybe get part time job since almost 16 my son is 29 and disabled so he can’t work but he does do stuff around the house and mows weed eats cleans cooks ( he has mind of 15/16 year old ) he helps with the dogs and chickens :rooster:
He cooks some and bbq’s our food .
He helps the neighbors sometimes
And he is on his phone in morning for like 1 hour
And in the evening he plays his Xbox for 2 hours

I would make it shorter!! Make them get outside and get some fresh air and give them some chores to do!

1 Like

Do they work? What else do they have going on? Are they staying home alone while mom and dad work? There are several factors here but at 16 they are almost an adult. So I would say limit what times they can be on it like not after 10 pm and not before 7 am.

I wouldn’t think so. It seems like they would want to spend more face to face time now that school is out. Or maybe spend some time working summer jobs for extra money they can spend for things they want. But if you’re keeping them home for protection from Covid and that’s their main way to socialize, they may be feeling a bit constrained. If they have their rooms cleaned in a short amount of time… and other chores done… and they aren’t going to friends’ homes or to the mall… you may want to give them more social media time. TV gets boring. Movies get boring. They may not want to interact with each other. Their interests may be different. I would encourage them to do some reading and take them to the library once a week. But if they were weak in reading skills, they may not enjoy that. You could suggest a hobby. You didn’t say if you had boys, girls, or one of each. You may want to teach them to crochet, knit, or do something like that. I know when I was a teenager, I liked to stay in my room a lot and listen to music. I played Solitaire a lot. You could teach them several different ways to play Solitaire. I know the trend is to play it on the phone, but there’s nothing wrong with an old-fashioned deck of cards. Good luck.

Every mom is different. I say yes, because that is part of their social interaction. Its different from when we grew up and I’d much rather my kid be on their phones than going to parties/sneeking out

2 Likes

We don’t allow more than an hour a day.

2 Likes

I saw a bunch of teenagers walking around town yesterday. No phones. Just out and about. Some had skateboards. They helped me load my groceries into the car. Outside is still there and still free

2 Likes

I let my boys do 3 hours on their PlayStation a day and phones they can start using their phones at 9am but they aren’t really on their phones so I don’t say much (my oldest is 13) he’s the only one I tell not to just be on his phone cuz we have caught him multiple times outside with his friends just on his phone doing nothing, my other two I don’t have that issue they are on their phones here and there, most of they day they are playing staying active. They are off all electronics at 8pm and some nights I let them use their phone when we go to bed until a certain time

Even six hours seems too much. It’s not unreasonable at all. At this point in our society, less social media is better for mental health.

5 Likes

No. That’s a lot. But I guess my kids are usually working, even from a young age. There’s no way they could have close to that much. They need to do more with their summer than sit on social media.

1 Like

6 hours a day on social media is actually a long time. I would give 3-4. Social media can really mess with a teens headspace. Take it from someone who grew up on social media.

Six hours seems like a long time but I’m sure your teens feel like they are being punished. You might also want to restrict the sites they have access to. If they are doing research for a school paper or project or preparing homework, you may want to make an exception to the time limitation (if they are enrolled in a summer program).

I Get Paid 0ver $ 110 per hour w0rking from h0me. I never thought l’d be able to d0 it but my colleague makes over $ 13662 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me t0 try. The p0ssibility with this is limitless.

SEE MORE HERE…>> https://LifeStyles41.pages.dev

6 hours sounds like way too much

1 Like

Nope! Not at all!!! You’re a great momma!

I’m gonna have to say this, social media is an absolute cancer for most people…yet here i am (ironic? Yes!!) All you see is fake and photo shopped…and if it’s not all it is normally is 'perfect" everything. All while the user generally has either an extreme lack of self esteam or has a complete lack of knowledge how the world actually works and how to treat people.

6 hours is so long to be sitting staring at a screen…

1 Like

Maybe a compromise… I do feel 6 hours is plenty but…
A chart… all of these things most happen daily.

Six hours a day that’s almost a full work shift…. I think you are being plenty fair! Maybe to fair. 

2 Likes

Not at all
My 14 yr old is not allowed at all

1 Like

Mine would get nowhere near that long x

1 Like

6 hours is still too much time
I would say no social media at all

3 Likes

6 hours is sure a long time

6 hours is a long time

Depends what else they are doing. If they’d be sitting on their gadgets all day if you didn’t limit the time then no youre not being unreasonable but if they have chores done, outside interests , hobbies etc then id let them be tbh .

2 Likes

6 hours is a long time, Parents that don’t limit their screen time are doing their kids a disservice. It is not good mentally or physically or socially.

Even that is probably too much in my opinion.

6 hours a day on social media??? He​:ice_hockey::ice_hockey: no. Put them in a sport or club or get them into a hobby. How are they getting anything done if they are spending 6 hours a day on social media? Not a chance. My kid wouldn’t have enough time to spend 6 hours on something so useless and trivial. He has practice/tournaments and is out with his friends and swimming and fishing and whatever else they can find to do OUTSIDE. Unless its a crappy rainy day and everything is completely done around the house there is no way he would EVER be allowed to spend 6 hours in one day on social media.

1 Like

Not at all!!! I would limit it to 2 hrs during the day

Five hours??? They shouldn’t be spending that much time on social media. Two hours max. If they don’t have any thing else to do - they could get a part-time job - or volunteer at something.

Mine only get to be on their tablets and phones after dinner for a few. It’s summer time and they need to be outside being kids!!

No I agree with you, social media can destroy lives, And putting a time limit on it is a good idea but you also got to see what all their subscribed to and what they look at… I do this with my son

1 Like

During the summer I don’t limit their time but I limit the content

NO, by that age there are lots of outdoor things they could be doing that would improve their lives more.

Yes. I could understand if it school was in for the year.

Yes, I think you are too extravagant with their time. At 15 and 16 they should be out mowing or working a job or physically active doing something. Perhaps 3 hours in the evening would be more reasonable.

2 Likes

I did my research correctly, i must confess nobody handles cryptocurrency as Mrs Elizabeth James does i’ve had the privileged of working and investing with her and i must say she’s the best

1 Like

that’s way too much!

2 Likes

I alone won’t express how thankful I’m to you, for connecting me to your platform it has been a good opportunity for me and my family thank you have

I now believe in stock trading after withdrawing my profit through the help of Mr’s Elizabeth James . I really appreciate all her effort and support thanks to her… click on the link below to contact her you too can benefit from her platform just like me all you need to do is to reach out to her
:paintbrush::paintbrush::paintbrush:

1 Like

I’m proud to say I’m among the people benefiting from online trading, my gratitude to Mrs Elizabeth James shows for helping me achieve all my dreams in life. She elavates me financially, Today I’m living in my own apartment, doing things I was not able to do. Who ever that is reading this should contact Mrs. Elizabeth James with the links down here and testify like me :point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

Get those kids out of the house. Plan some family activities!!

The amount of people saying “that’s too much time” obviously don’t realize the world we live in. Considering they probably spend a minimum of two hours on their phone throughout the day.

6 hours is very reasonable. We do 4 hours for our daughters phone, & 6 hours for overall screentime. Because some days she hardly picks up her phone, because she’s more interested in a game (which is totally fine). Our daughter also does chores to earn extra screentime, aside from doing her normal stuff.

I think it varies by household, & it’s all about finding what works best for you guys. :black_heart:

We went for a long time without internet (wasn’t available where we lived), so when we finally got it hooked up, I didn’t limit my kids… after a little while, my kids had their fill & got bored with it… now they will chose on their own to get off of the Internet without me actually limiting their time… it makes it easier when it is “their choice” to be offline… they will go outside on their own without me taking the internet away from them… but what worked with my kids obviously won’t work with all kids :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

No. That’s generous.

2 Likes

Your the mom, your home, your rules.

Way too much. 3 or 4 hours is enough. They like to sleep in . Should have chores too .

Your kids. Your rules.

absolutely not should cut it even more

Absolutely not they need to be outside enjoying fresh air and playing and being kids for as long as they can!