Am I over reacting for not wanting to name my child after my husbands ex?

So my husband and his family says that I’m over reacting by refusing to name my daughter Diana. Which is her great grandmothers name. But it’s all my oldest two kids mothers middle name. So yeah I’d rather not name my kid after my husbands ex and I’m more mad he didn’t say anything. We’ve had the name picked for months and it wasn’t until my kids asked their mom what her full name was is when I found out.

33 Likes

If it helps- Diana is just an ugly name lol

13 Likes

Does the grandmother have a better middle name?

3 Likes

Yeah that whole thing sounds weird. You two decide together what the name is. Not him and his family - excluding you??? Thays just weird and creepy.

6 Likes

In most states the mother chooses the name she filled out the paperwork and signs it

3 Likes

I was named after my dads first girlfriend :joy:

2 Likes

That is plain weird. It’s not her kid so you don’t have to name your baby that

1 Like

Kinda weird they’d want you to do that at all.

1 Like

I found out when I was 13 I was named after my dads highschool sweetheart. I’m still mad about it and I feel like it was total disrespect to my mom. Name your child what you want to name her. She’s yours. Congrats momma❤

10 Likes

Your kid, name it what you want…f%*# anyone else. They want to use that name so bad tell them to have a baby…

5 Likes

Name her Leia. Let the force be with you

3 Likes

My mother in law’s name was Diana. :purple_heart:

So wait you liked the name before? It’s just a name and if you like it who cares if it’s his EX middle name, it’s not like it’s her first name. Name your baby Diana it’s a pretty name.

4 Likes

:wave::wave::wave:
I was named after a girl that saved my moms butt from getting bullied.
Also happens to be my dads Mom name. :wink: #ByeFelicia

It’s not up to them… It’s your baby!!

3 Likes

Why do people ask dumb obvious questions all the time. Its YOUR baby

7 Likes

I don’t blame you. I wouldn’t name my kids anything close to or made me think of my husbands ex. Of course my mom wasn’t thrilled I didn’t give my daughter my middle name and carry on tradition, but I didn’t like that name either. They’ll get over it. You and your husband pick out a name and tell everyone after you fill out the birth certificate paperwork. Then they can hate it all they want but can’t push you into changing it.

2 Likes

Who the hell even names a baby Diana?! I’ve never ever once seen a baby names Diana. I think they just spawn as grown women already or something.

16 Likes

It’s your baby name it something you want after all that’s the name your going to be calling out 24/7.

2 Likes

No you are not overreacting

1 Like

It’s not their kid first of all and they aren’t the one carrying the child for 9 months or giving birth to the child. You name the baby what you want and they can shove it

7 Likes

You’re the one who fills out the paperwork LMAO I wouldn’t do it either

7 Likes

Name your baby want you like or want. It’s not up to them. Tell them to make their own if they like.:joy: Always remember momsh
"your baby, your rules":blush:

2 Likes

I’m so confused by the post. How would your kids have a different mom with a different name?

9 Likes

I have re read this and cannot understand it “But it’s all my oldest two kids mothers middle name” what?

5 Likes

Pick the name you want mamas nobody liked the name I picked for my daughter but I didn’t give to f**ks cause guess what your the mother everyone else can kick rocks

3 Likes

It’s just her middle name. But it’s your baby. Choose a name you love.

3 Likes

Because it’s a middle name I don’t think it’s the same. Go with first choice since you did like it and it was only a middle name

1 Like

Your baby your choice

3 Likes

I am confused. You say your kids asked their mom her full name. Are you not their mom?

1 Like

Maybe he didnt know it was her middle name. Even the kids had to ask what it was. Sounds like you had the name picked out before they found out so youre not even naming the baby after her. But i guess if you dont like it, change it. They will get over it.

4 Likes

Choose the name you truly want for your baby. My kids father came up with a really cute name and I loved it and end up naming our daughter that name and I regret it when she was 2-3 months old. Found out that was his ex gf niece name and had a big argument about it and I so wish I didn’t give her the name

2 Likes

As a Diana, I would say don’t do it. I’m sure my name was popular 40 years ago… not so much now.

4 Likes

Can you use the grandmother’s middle name?
My son had a classmate whose parents changed his name on tye way to the hospital. When they picked out his name his initials would have been ASS. He said he wish they hadn’t changed it. Lol
We changed my son’s middle name. He was named after my father in law and hubby’s uncle. If we would have used the uncle’s first name it would have been to many ms together. Hubby’s aunt suggested his middle name. It worked great.

Pick a different name. That is not okay…

1 Like

You had to write out a question for this? It is so frustrating reading these types of questions. Who cares if your over reacting. Why does the opinion of a whole bunch of strangers matter to you anyways? From the way this reads it seems to me that you liked the name and had no problem with it until you learned that your husband’s ex wife has the same name as not her first name but as middle name which nobody probably knew or cared about until you pointed it out to them…lol… so don’t name you child that if you don’t want too. Its petty and it’s a shame that your letting that stand in the way of naming your daughter a name that had meaning and held tribute to the great grandmother but if your envy and jealousy is that bad that you are letting the ex girlfriend hold more place and more meaning in your life than the great grandmother. But that’s on you. Just be an adult and talk about this shit with your husband.

It’s the middle name for one and two they chose it because of it being the name of the great grandmother. I doubt they even realized when they thought of it that it was her middle name, probably the last thing on their mind. Or they may not have even known it was her middle name who knows. Honestly I think its pretty sad to be upset about that, but I guess as others have said, your baby name it what you want. That said you cant be upset if your husband is a bit disappointed that you won’t name her that, but he also needs to see your point of view too even if it’s imo sad. Go with the original name you picked I guess

I don’t think so, I wanted Jade for our youngest but one of my partners ex’s was named Jade so we picked Lily instead

1 Like

It’s a common middle name and it wouldn’t bother me to use it. However, I’d never name my child Diana. So I’d say it’s a good cop out so that you don’t have to use the name at all. :joy:🤷

1 Like

But you wouldn’t be naming her after his ex…you’d be naming her after her great grandma

1 Like

Also everyone saying it’s baby are missing the fact that it’s her husband’s baby as well

1 Like

You name her what ever you want its your baby don’t let them run your life

2 Likes

I’d just pick a new name with your husband and then tell the rest of the family what the name is and tell them it’s not up for discussion. They shouldn’t be arguing with you over what you want to name your child.

1 Like

I just think it’s crazy that yourhusband had two kids with the woman and didnt know her middle name?! Like, either he knew and maybe liked it and wanted new baby tied in with that or he is really a crap husband which may explain the split. I personally would just find another name. Baby isnt here yet. You have time.

3 Likes

Give her something unique with meaning. Don’t let them pressure you into naming her something that you don’t want, everyday you will have to live with it

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t allow that, pick another name

1 Like

Seems like you’re the one who sees it that way. And everyone else sees it as the grandmother’s name.

However if you domt agree in it, reasons aside, then find a name you agree on, simple as that.

2 Likes

Most people don’t name their children a name they’re not fond of…that’d be a little rediculous…no matter what the reason might be.
Choose a name you & your husband LIKE. Period.
And who cares what others think. It is not their child, it’s yours. Period.
That being said, perhaps you could find a variation of Diana.
Example: my grandma’s name was Estella.
My daughters name is Elissa. I chose this name in honour of my grandmother…just tweaked it a little :blush:

1 Like

Definitely pick another name

You’re not overreacting :joy::joy: there’s no way I would do that they can just get a cat and name it that if it’s so important lol

2 Likes

Look up names and meaning and make a choice you and husband like. Then it is a choice without connections to ‘anyone’. Baby will have her ‘OWN’ name chosen for her.

You’d be giving her the name of your husbands great grandmother. Who cares what his ex’s middle name is. Yes overreacting if it’s based solely on that and not that you don’t like the name

5 Likes

Don’t name them after granny. Start there.

If 2 of the kids already have the name then why can’t this child have a different name.I know of families that try and force a family name in on any new child and it’s silly. Pick a new name and go with it, yes it’s his child too but he needs to be more open to other ideas that make you more comfortable.

1 Like

ok i can see both sides of the coin here… on their point they dont care whos middle name it is … it doesnt represent that person it represents the great grandmother… which is something wonderful and a great way to honor those from the past… on the other hand you dont want your childs name attached to an ex… so … i say just pick a new name… one that you and hubby can agree on… (its not the families baby its yalls baby) and move on…

1 Like

Pick a name for yourself that you will like. I never told family what the name of my son was until he was born for this exact reason. I also didn’t want to purposely name him with the same name in the family I wanted him with a unique name.

I would just change it

My daughter is named after her grandmother and greatgrandmother on her dads side and has my middle name

There are so many great grand children in my family who all share the same middle name after one of my great grand mothers. She was a beautiful soul but it just baffles me that so many of the girls share that same name so I told myself when my daughter was born I wouldn’t go anywhere near that name and I didn’t and I went with a more unique name
She is the only one that doesn’t have that name.

1 Like

Ummm… you wouldn’t be naming your child after his ex AT ALL. if you are to dense to process that… nevermind… this is clearly a waste of time. Its your child. Give her the best most meaningful name you can come up with :woman_shrugging: she might wonder why she isnt a namesake like her sisters and that you will have to explain you were too jealous.

4 Likes

Could you use a variant to honor the grandma w/o it being connected to ex? Dianna, Deena, Dinah, Dionne, for example.

2 Likes

Hell no you’re not over reacting. Sorry, but itd be acold day in hell before i named a child after my SO ex. Wether or not its a family name.

3 Likes

My Husband is a Junior. We have a 16 year old son and are due next month with our 2nd son. He has wanted to name one of our boys a “III” since our first son. I already explained that I am the one carrying this baby for 9 months and going through all that entails. I’m not doing all of that just to HAVE to use the name his Grandmother got to choose for her son almost 60 years ago. While I’m big on names having a meaning or a heritage, it’s just unfair and honestly confusing once you have 2 with the same name. They just end up going by a nickname anyway! Lastly, I don’t even like his name that much, so… Our oldest son has my Husband’s middle name and we’ll do the same for this little guy, but he’s getting a first name that we both agree on. We both have veto power and don’t even have to explain why. If we don’t like it, it’s a no.

So, all of that being said, how much more do you think I believe you should NOT have to name your baby after your Husband’s ex. Ask your Husband how he would feel if the roles were reversed.

I never used family names myself I find it creepy

Do not do it I hate my youngest daughters name fully

Been there… The name picked wasn’t after a family member… It was just elegant and unique, I loved it!! Found out one month before delivering my baby, that the girl he was with right before me had the same name… Spelling and all. I changed the name the day I found out and I actually prefer the second choice more! :relaxed: No regrets here. And yes you have a right to be upset, everyone has different views on stuff like this but do what you feel is right Mama. It’s a name you’re gonna be saying for the rest of your life.

YOUR kid. Your name. Name what you will be happy with. If relatives don’t like tough.

3 Likes

It comes out of you so you should name it

That stinks my husband did that to me and I still was mad about when he dies 12 years later. Hate that he did that but so love my daughter

Does grandma have a nice middle name ?

My first daughter my mom was pressuring me sending me names she likes that all end with ‘A’ cuz she has like 10 other granddaughters that end with ‘A’ nd I had to then she was trying to take over how my husband proposed to me, who was invited to the baby shower. Just so much more trying to control me nd and everything nd even my baby name so I named her Rylee. My beautiful princess. Nothing she wanted happened nd I told her how it was that this is what I want I think she accepted it but she still tried picking my second beautiful princess name nope she is named Avelynn(pronounced Evelynn) I broke the tradition nd I’m ok with that.