Am I over thinking this situation?

So I have a daughter from a previous relationship, and she’s type O. Well, her donor left the picture, and her dad has been around since I was four months pregnant with her. Fast forward three years, we got pregnant. He’s type A- and I am O+. I miscarried two days ago at seven weeks. I’ve got a feeling that baby took his blood type, and my body fought it off. Am I overthinking, or could this happen? I’m just trying to find some sort of answer, even if there isn’t one I guess… thank you.

1 Like

That is something you should ask your health care provider

9 Likes

I’m O+ with oldest and youngest O+ and my middle child is A-

That would only happen if you were rh negative and had previously carried an rh positive child.

1 Like

Talk to doctor. I have only heard about RH+ and RH-

1 Like

If you are O+ then no, that can happen if you are rh neg.

2 Likes

It’s if you’re negative and then idk what week it’s in but you go for a needle that essentially confuses your body for a bit

1 Like

That wouldn’t happen unless it was the opposite. My mom is O+ and dad is O-. My mom carried me to term and I came out O-. Now I have two kids of my own and they’re both Rh Positive like their dads, so I had to have the Rhogam shot with each of them because I’m Rh Negative.

Sometimes things that we can’t explain just happen. Your blood type would have no factor in you miscarriage. That would only happen if you were Rh negative. I am so very sorry for you loss.

4 Likes

I have heard of that happening when the mom is A-. I am A- and I have to get a shot every time I am pregnant or miscarry so my body doesn’t start attacking the baby. My son is AB+ and I was able to carry full term no issues the only thing that happened was my son became jaundice after birth because at some point during delivery our blood crossed. If you are worried I would ask you dr they might be able to give you some more info.

3 Likes

Yes it could have happened because your anti bodies thought it’s a foreign object being your partner has a negative blood group. You will need to have an Anti D shot before trying again otherwise it will continue to happen.

I’m 0 negative and my partner 0 postive i have to have anti D throughout my pregnancies all my children are 0+

You got it turned around sweets. This happens when mom is negative blood type, previous rh positive baby…second baby would have problems from RH- mom having the old antibodies.

I’m rh negative but they don’t give you the shot until 28 weeks. Miscarriages just happen sometimes because something wasn’t right. Chromosomes missing etc. it’s sad I have been there twice. Hang in there!!! Hugs to you!

1 Like

Usually only if you are rh negative. Your blood and the babies blood usually won’t mix that early. If you ever notice spotting early they can give you the rhogram shot if they suspect that’s why you’re miscarrying but I’m O- and I’ve only gotten the rhogam shot at 28 weeks and after I gave birth if my baby was positive. That’s when your blood may mix with the baby’s through the umbilical cord

1 Like

If your bleeding you have to get the shots earlier then 28 weeks

1 Like

You need to talk to your doctor about this, if your concerned. It’s more likely that there is no specific reason for your loss. It’s common to suffer a miscarriage and as heart breaking as it is there usually isn’t a reason for it that can be pin pointed or blamed.

2 Likes

I have 4 rounds of shots and at 28 weeks too your doctor will tell you or check and see if. It does fight against your baby

No I’m O+ as well I thought that happens with RH- people

2 Likes

I’m O- and had to have the rhogam shot with my pregnancies and miscarriages. Was also told if baby is born O- as well I would have to have the shot after delivery but they are O+. I had 2 kids (age 12 and 1 at the time) then miscarried in jan. 2018 and had a tubal pregnancy rupture in June of 2018 and had to have tube removed now I’m pregnant and due in January with my 3rd. Its hard going though a miscarriage and sometimes we don’t know the reasons why but don’t give up. Youre in my thoughts and prayers sweetie.

2 Likes

To my understanding not if you’re positive. I’m A+ I have no idea what my husbands blood type is but we had a type O+ baby

Sometimes it just happens. I had an early miscarriage in 2010. Had a baby in 2015. 2 early miscarriages in 2018, baby in 2019 and baby in 2020. No explanation and went on to have children. Sometimes it’s a problem with chromosomes, sperm quality, egg quality, etc.

1 Like

I’m AB- and my body self terminates every other pregnancy :pensive:

You need to be tested to see if you’re RH - or RH + and yes rhogam shots are necessary after every birth and miscarriage etc and I think also during in order to protect future pregnancies. Talk to your Dr get tested and yes it matter based on negative and positive blood types. Check into it. I’m O- and my husband is A+ (but it would also be a problem with any other type bc o neg can only receive o neg) and I’m rh - I think so yes I have to get shots. Figure it all out before enough pregnancy! And depending on blood types of last miscarriage and parents you may need shot ask Dr.

Nope. I’m rh- and yes we got shots but the first one one isn’t even until 28 weeks so that wouldn’t be the reason. Definitely talk to your doctor about this one.

No. I had 4 miscarriages. I am O+. 1 for sure was a blighted ovum. My whole family has had issues. My 2nd son I bleed heavy for 20 weeks because of placenta previa. Everyone is different. Just because you bleed you do not need a shot. Only reason. You would need one is if you are RH-.

2 Likes

Hi! Blood banker here. The Rh/D antigen (the pos/neg portion of your blood type) is not the only antigen on red blood cells. A and B are also antigens (and there are MANY other RBC antigens beyond those), and you as a type O person naturally have anti-A, anti-B and anti-AB antibodies.

Anti-AB antibodies CAN potentially cross the placenta and affect your fetus’s type A RBCs (that is, IF your fetus truly was type A).

However, it is not guaranteed that your baby had type A blood. Its dad’s phenotype could’ve been Ao, in which case there is a chance the baby was type O.

In addition, according to this chapter about hemolytic disease of the newborn (HDN) (linked below) “HDN due to ABO incompatibility is usually less severe than Rh incompatibility. One reason is that fetal RBCs express less of the ABO blood group antigens compared with adult levels.”

Ultimately, there is almost no way to know whether this was truly the cause.

1 Like

I had the anti D injection around 10 wks with my last baby as my system detected it earlier… I had started bleeding around 9 wks so it can happen alot earlier … hugs to you for ur loss… dont give up OK… it will happen xxxxxx

With my OBs that I’ve had, since I’m A-, I get my rhogan shots at 28 weeks and depending on baby’s blood type after birth I either get it or I don’t. I have only been able to go without getting the shot once after birth bc he has the same blood type as me. The other 3 are all A+ so I had to have the shot. also if you start bleeding and go to the ER if you have a negative blood type they would maybe give you a rhogam shot then too which I’ve been through that situation as well. Also after a miscarriage where the mother has a negative blood type you have to get the shot which I’ve had to do that one also. Best of wishes to you and prayers for healing.

2 Likes

Yes, RH- blood
I am A- and Husband is O+. With your first pregnancy you should jave received a shot if this was the case, for following pregnancies. As your body would see the fetus as a forzign object. I have had three babies. Did they not test ypur blood types when you were pregnant with ypur first? I am sorry to hear about your loss, please speak to your Dr.

I gather you didn’t have the first needle cause you were so early. It’s if your blood mixes with the baby blood it can do harm. I’m A- my kids dads were A+ and all my kids are A+ but don’t know what my angels were

1 Like

I miscarried 4 times i am AB - bad for women!

Not sure what my parents blood type is but from what my mom has told me my brother only has my dad’s blood none from her. Dr told her it was rare for that to happen. Btw my brother just turned 25 this yr.

Yes. That happened to me too. I miscarried at 11 weeks. They said I was suspose to get this shot. But then I got pregnant again 3 days after my DNC with the same man and she was completely fine. It was weird.

I don’t think it affects it that early if you are RH-

2 Likes

No it can happen when my daughter was born my blood attacked hers she was in icu for 10says straight after birth it was the most scariest time of our life’s we was told that she needed a full blood transfusion which would cause brain damage! We was told she’d have health problems down the line! Well she’s 2 and a half years old and a healthy little madam, she’s arched all milestones (even before appropriate age) no brain damage no health problems, we was so lucky! I was told if I had another baby it would happen again

I’m O neg my 1st was same as me, my 2nd was dad and I can’t remember my 3rd but we have no idea what dad is just know he’s not same as me.
However I’ve always thought the only blood type that can reject a baby was O- as you need Anti D…

I’m so.sorry. I lost my son 3 days after he was born due to the same issue. Im. O- and needed a rogam shot to help him fight my blood. But it was neglected to be given by the doctor. He died. I was 15 and not knowledgeable of this shot. But I’ve since 20 plus years ago to have 2 beautiful daughters… I now have a 3 month old granddaughter. I made it a point when she was expecting to get that shot.

Generally the father is the one that passes the +- type on to the child. Talk with your doctor. I’m a negative and I had to get shots after each positive baby.

Im o- so my rh factor is rh-. My body could fight the baby off like it was an infection. Thats what the dr told me. Ive had 2 miscarriages and 3 live births. Thank God. Just keep trying and don’t ever lose your faith! God Bless you and your family!

Your positive so it has nothing to do with it. There’s a million reasons for miscarriage. Being that you were only 7 weeks, I highly doubt you’re going to find that out…

Rh factor is only an issue if mom is negative. If you’re positive it would not have an effect. So sorry for your loss momma :broken_heart:

1 Like

Negative blood types need the shot, not positive. If the baby is positive, a 2nd shot is given after birth. I am sorry about your loss, but it’s not the blood type, so you are safe to try again when you are ready.

2 Likes

No it shouldn’t matter since you are rh +. If you were rh - then your body could fight it off. If you ever had a daughter and she was rh- and she had children then she would have to get a shot to help prevent her body from attacking pregnancy.

2 Likes

This exact thing happend with me!! Im o-, I never knew about the shot :sob::sob:. After my dnc i was immediately(same month) pregnant but this time given rhogam- with no issues.

You should ask your doctor about testing you for a possible clotting issue. My mom has a clotting condition of some kind that caused her to have a miscarriage in her first pregnancy. She was super lucky to be able to carry my brother and I full term.

If you are a positive blood type you don’t need the shot. Rhogam is given 2 times during pregnancy & during each pregnancy unless dads blood type is a negative as well!

Sorry for your loss. This was not caused by your blood type. I want you to know that miscarriages are very common and happen for a million different reasons. You will get pregnant again and carry to term. I have 4 children and have had 2 miscarriages. Sending you light and love! :heart:

2 Likes

Not really.
Only blood type that ‘fights’ is any type of negative blood (as to why they need to get RH shots).
The body naturally fights pregnancy anyways for a while in the very beginning, so unfortunately that makes it difficult for many women to hold a pregnancy. Also, sometimes a non-viable baby is flushed when the body knows they couldn’t survive.

I’m sorry for your loss.

I think if you’re blood type is positive it doesn’t affect the pregnancy. Probably just a coincidence and you’re probably just trying to find an answer for it. Sorry for your loss!

I just had a baby and my husband and i have the same blood type as you. Our daughter took her dad’s A- blood type but the pregnancy was fine. Now after she was born she had jaundice because her body was fighting my blood cells that were in her.

I lost 3 due to having a clotting issue and having PCOS. I went on to have 2 healthy pregnancies after the 3 losses.
Have the doctor run some tests on you.

Can’t happen. If you are + then your body accepts the +. Only a danger if you are Rh- and the father is +, then the baby could possibly be +.

Talk to your doctor about the blood type differences. There are medications that can help prevent problems stemming from the issues with that.

It’s only an issue if you’re rhesus negative xxx

1 Like

I always have to get the rogam shot cause my body will try and fight the babies.
I’ve had a few miscarriages and the Dr said the main reason for them is chromosome issues. And had one of the miscarriages tested and that baby had a very rare chromosome defect and so it wouldn’t have survived by long after birth of he made it that far.

That only happens if you test RH-

Check if your rh there is a shot they give you talk to dr