Am I selfish for not wanting my daughter and her dog living with us?

Tell her to start helping/being more respectful and appreciative of what you’re doing for her or get out. Yes she’s your child and being a parent doesn’t end once they’re 18 but she’s acting like an actual child still. It’s time for her to grow up. You can only help her so much.

3 Likes

Do NOT leave your home.
The grown kid has got to go!!!

3 Likes

Set ground rules like behavior, chores, taking care of her pet. if she breaks them then start the eviction process. Remind her if she doesn’t take care of her pet you will turn her in for neglect & then animal control can take the dog for a walk. Your child or not, your not obligated to enable your child the rest of their lives. If an adult can’t follow basic ground rules, show respect, care for a pet ThEY own, then they are putting themselves on a bad situation. Not sorry but all these parents who are enabling their children are literally setting them up for failure. When your gone whose going to house & feed your ungrateful & entitled child? No one & you never enforced ground rules & boundaries to teach your child about adulthood so they’re run everyone off that does try to help.

1 Like

Kinda sad that u don’t want ur own family living with u. Yeah a dog is a dog but if ur husband says it’s cool then u should be too but I wouldn’t let the bitch walk all over me I’d tell her to walk her fucking dog or call spca don’t be a fucking idiot. Seriously ur gunna leave ur husband u need to get ur head out ur ass and I wish I could tell ur husband ur even thinking about it obviously don’t love him or ur kid

Talk to your husband.You both need to take a stand together. Your daughter either contributes to your household or you give her a few months notice to find a new place.If your husband doesn’t agree, you’d better give hìm an ultimatum…

3 Likes

Honestly I’d up and leave maybe then the hubby will see how serious you are

1 Like

Boot her ass and dog to hell out the door and change the locks!!

I would make her an husband an dog leave now!

her and her pooch gotta go if hubby doesn’t agree he goes too!

2 Likes

I’m sorry but I’m the daughter that had to come back to live with her mother at 27 until I get back on my feet and I love my mom to death because of it . With that being said I would feel like a complete ass for being disrespectful to the woman who’s helping house me and my dog the least she could do is take care of her fucking dog .and don’t get my wrong my kids are welcome in my home at any age and can come home when ever but they start disrespecting me in my home their getting there ass out my house don’t bite the hand that feed you

Have a family meeting. Tell her what’s expected and let your husband know that your word is the last. But I’m so lucky that I had a mother that never wanted to throw me out. I went back home as an adult many times when things didn’t work out.

Well, if you’re sure that she isn’t in the middle of a mental health crisis and that she’s just being a disrespectful ingrate, make her life miserable so she’s motivated to leave :woman_shrugging:t3:

Not cleaning up after herself and wrecking your house bc she’s lazy? Dump her dirty dishes on her bed so she’s forced to clean them AND wash her sheets

Neglecting her dog by not paying attention to it or cleaning up after it? Woops, left the door open and I guess it ran away (really I’d just rehome it so that the poor thing had competent owners and a better life)

Husband taking advantage of the situation to look like the good guy? Welp, guess I’m not helping him with anything anymore. Have fun washing your own clothes, making your own meals, getting your own groceries, etc

Honestly though, if your daughter is such a disrespectful asshole, I do think you need to accept some of the blame for not raising her right.

Say good bye and kick her out

No comment!! I don’t care for animals of any kind in my house!! #GetIt!!

Can relate , years ago my husband chose my sons girlfriend over me , so i left , An told him when she is gone i will come back … So left him an my children for 2 weeks till she went , Then i went back my son left with his girlfriend as well , But it was always my fault … Stick to your guns its your home let them both leave … :rose::rose::rose:

4 Likes

Keep the dog and send the rest packing

1 Like

She’s an adult. She needs her own place.

1 Like

No you are not selfish. I would leave for a while let your husband deal with everything maybe hevwill decide it is time she goes when he realizes she wont help.

2 Likes

There is no reason for you to leave when you are not the one disrespecting. She and her dog need to go and if hubby is so weak that he cannot enforce this or stand by your side then he has to go also.

4 Likes

she should be able to fine a place aome where that take animal

She’s an adult she needs to go out get a job and take care of herself and not depend on you so much you did your job yes you are her mom and you are to be there for her but she’s an adult now and she needs to move on and show you some respect. She also needs to stop neglecting her animal and take care of it as well. Sounds like you need to talk to your husband and sit down some ground rules and if he doesn’t agree I would walk really I would. She’s an adult and she needs to act like what she’s not a child anymore. If she wants to stay and live with you guys I don’t see a problem as long as there’s ground rules chores and respect set in place and for her to take care of her animal. But if she wants to be lazy and neglect her animal then she can go live in her own place and do that.

1 Like

If it’s to the point your trying to way away then your relationship has more issues then just this

1 Like

This is what you created put your foot down hand who a bill for rent and other services taking care kf dog cleaning ect tell her if not paid your shit will be out on pavement on this date stand firm she will hate you also in the letter tell her your love her but the disrespect stop give example will she be mad yea but she will get over it yes

Tell her to either take care of the dog or rehome it. And she has to either start being respectful or she has to leave too. I’m not against adult children living at home but you have to contribute and be responsible for your things.

1 Like

You’re only giving a sliver of information about this situation. Only you know enough to know if it’s selfish. I would never throw out my child without knowing how to care for himself. She doesn’t even know how to care for a dog. Maybe you could get her some help?

6 Likes

I think yall need to sit down and talk and tell them what you need to happen if she is going to be living there. If she doesn’t follow the rules then she needs to leave. And you need to have a private conversation with your husband about how both of you need to be on the same page. Otherwise she is going to know she can run to him if you say no. If he can’t do that then he can leave too

1 Like

Not selfish but over reacting

2 Likes

Adult daughter needs to go. Especially since she doesn’t help out or take care of her dog.

5 Likes

tell daughter she needs to move out. do not enable her anymore.

4 Likes

SHE :clap:t4::clap:t4:GOTSTA :clap:t4::clap:t4:GO :clap:t4::clap:t4::clap:t4: Shouldn’t no child you birthed and her dog EVER want to make you leave YOUR HOUSE . You can help her okay, but she gotta put them grown woman panties on and go get her own again​:woman_shrugging:t4: I would never want to stay at my people house. I got moved to make

4 Likes

Your house is Toxic time to leave. Your probably the one that cooks , washes and does all the housework. Let’s see what they do now.without you.

1 Like

Take her to a shelter and she must live by the rules. Take the dog to the animal shelter. Don’t feel bad. Tell your husband to man up or he will be next.

3 Likes

Get her out she needs her own place

1 Like

Throw her the hell out

Have rules. It’s your home. I did.

4 Likes

Your home your rules. Break the rules and you are out. God bless

3 Likes

Get her the f!@# out

This the thing. She’s y’all daughter and your husband okay with her and her dog staying. You are technically out voted which means you’re gonna have to find an Alli in this situation. Talk to your husband about setting boundaries and what should happen next. Don’t go at this on your own because you will not be heard and be more frustrated. Tell your husband how disrespectful she is and that y’all need to be a unit dealing with her. Six months is a good amount of time to stay with someone without helping around the house and paying a bill.

6 Likes

Your husband needs a reality check. If she doesn’t go bye mf see how he likes a dirty home and a lazy adult woman doing nothing at home.

7 Likes

Sound like all three need to go, to me. The fact that your husband is siding with the disrespectful daughter and her dog is problematic. 

3 Likes

I’m sorry but I had to live with my Mom for 2 months while waiting for my apartment to be ready. My friend took my cats and I stayed with my Mom. I would never have treated her this way especially in her own home. I helped do the cleaning, cooking whatever I could to make her feel appreciated. I wouldn’t tolerate that but yelling or getting angry isn’t going to fix anything. Try to have a sit down with the 3 of you and discuss a date she has to move by. If she needs then help her find a place but only if she learns to respect you

2 Likes

Tell her to change her attitude or she is out. And tell her to take care of her dog or get rid of it. If your husband is fighting you on all this and taking her side then I guess you just gotta go.

Oh hell no. She better shape up or GTFO. PERIOD.

Don’t enable her to not take care of herself and the pet she wanted. She’s neglecting the dog as well. Kick her out

hand her a room and board fee and pet fee and if she is unable to meet these requirements with respect she gets a two week eviction notice and the dog goes up for rescue homing

4 Likes

Wtf? Kick her out and change the locks its your house shes an “adult” lmao bye

4 Likes

She’s an adult. She needs to do her part or get out.

2 Likes

Covertly find a new loving home for her dog. Not a damn shelter, none of this is the dogs fault and he’s deserves better than a shelter. He’s the only one in this situation who is guilt free. You need to stop being submissive to you family and put your fuckin foot down! Take her dog to a new home and then kick her out. Tell husband he can shove it or go with her. That you will not be disrespected in your own home anymore.

1 Like

Only if you let her treat you this way, will it keep going on. Sounds like she wasnt trained or hasnt learned respect for anyone. Too late for you Mom. But YOU can make the change…. Communicate! No ultimations!

1 Like

Yes, you need to quit, quit being a door mat.

4 Likes

She needs to get his self together and move out, charge her rent and if she can’t keep up with her own things which include her own dog then she’s gotta go and you can evict her

4 Likes

You need to have a come to Jesus meeting with the husband and he needs to put his foot down with her and start backing you up or daughter and dog need to find somewhere else to stay.

5 Likes

You’re not selfish AT ALL. I could not imagine disrespecting my mother like this.

3 Likes

You answered yourself when you acknowledged she was an adult who lives under your roof and disrespects you in everyway possible.

4 Likes

Why not keep the dog and make the adult human child move out on her own.

7 Likes

You are the Mother, Ask her to leave and ask your husband to back you up. She has no right to show any disrespect to you. Your husband shd have already told her this. If this does not work, PITCH A FIT. This is your home. You are letting her come for a visit. Tell her that.

3 Likes

You are not wrong granted yes I had to move back in with my mom after my sons father and I split but it was for a short period of time in same house together now she has her place and my family has mine reguardless still her house you have to be tough but loving if you had enough you and dad did your job and raised her as a child and sometimes you gotta give a little tough love to show them they are adults she may be mad for a lil but my mom did it and it made us actually closer than we were before cause I realized what she was doing as I got older

1 Like

Daughter was never taught respect or responsibility. Kick her to the CURB NOW

4 Likes

Hmm… We acquired two lovely front-feet-declawed (so must remain in the house) kitties, years ago, when an adult child moved back in with her parents. Their rule was: You may move in with us AFTER you have “adopted OUT” your felines.
That was Mom & Dad’s rule #1. And we profited from it because Sparky and Bucky were big ol’ “apple-head” seal-point Siamese guys who live to 19 (Bucky) and almost 21 (Sparky).
Part 2 of the story (YOUR story, now) is: YOU must take care of YOU. And YOUR HUSBAND MUST HELP YOU TAKE CARE OF YOU.
Yeah, it’s tough love. That’s why they call it TOUGH love. I suspect you may have to practice a bit of TOUGH love on hubby… to get him to help YOU take care of YOU!
Good luck and God bless.

1 Like

The daughter needs to learn responsibility. I’d make her pay rent and if she doesn’t start taking care of the dog then I’d post the dog on rehoming website and let the dog go where it’ll be taken care of and loved. You need to discuss boundaries with your husband as well, yall need to be on the same page.

2 Likes

Tell her my way or the highway! I had too use tough love with my daughter a few years ago and now we have a good relationship building.

Is the adult daughter working? Why isn’t she taking care of the dog if it’s hers?? Something is missing.

Well it isn’t just your house. It’s your husband’s as well. He has said she and the dog can stay. If you are considering leaving your husband over this then you don’t know what marriage vows mean and it’s time for you to leave.

3 Likes

Don’t blame the poor dog because it sounds like she ducks as a dog owner and responsible adult. I can tell you from first hand experience she will sponge as long as you let her. Keep the dog and throw her out

3 Likes

Well I managed to live with my parents and feed my cat even though my mom was absolutely in love with her…

By then my disrespect was over with…

And I grew up…

My mom made me pay rent and everything else I needed called RESPONSIBILITY

So yes it can be done

I kick her out and keep the dog until she grows up…

Your daughter is an adult put her out and if your husband doesn’t like it put him out too. Why should you have to go anywhere? She’s an adult. Id give my husband an ultimatum and if he chooses your daughter and her dog they both need to go.

Take a vacation. Pamper yourself. However long it takes for your husband and daughter to get the message that you are not their servant.

6 Likes

Poor dog🤬get rid of the daughter!

2 Likes

No. You aren’t selfish at all. Your adult daughter should have no problem living on her own. Charge her fair market rent for your area and get a pet deposit, charge her a portion of the utilities and trash. If she doesn’t pay then start charging her interest. If it’s free, she’s going to stay. If she has issues with, remind her that’s she is always free to leave whenever she wants. “but the pandemic” … it’s an excuse. “but inflation…” it’s still an excuse. You are under no obligation to be treated that way from your children.

That is a big problem .You r h usband should support you not her.

3 Likes

Sounds to me like y’all enabled that girl her entire life and she never had consequences for her actions or had responsibilities. I’m not sure why ppl raise children like that and expect them to be any different as adults :woman_shrugging: she’s an adult, her and her dog can go. As long as you provide for her, she’s not going to try and do anything for herself

5 Likes

Your home should be your sanctuary. Remove anything or anyone who disrupts that. Your health is at risk when you live in a stressful environment.

4 Likes

I think there is more to the story. I would never leave my home because of a disrespectful adult child. She must have been let treat you like that as a child. I’m not leaving my house or husband for any reason. He would have to cheat or something serious like that. Talk to both them together an get your point across. If she doesn’t like the rules then go get your own place. My adult daughter an I live together, as well as my adult granddaughter. We all share housework, bills an cooking. We respect each other.

2 Likes

U are NOT selfish. A parent’s job is to take care of their minor children & if possible when the kids are grown to help them out but NOT to enable them. Especially when they are rude & lazy. Set boundaries & try to get your husband to see that this situation is actually crippling your daughter. She needs t be self sufficient & is currently making zero effort. Take care of yourself please!

U raised her…she needs to go

3 Likes

Teach her responsibility now before she expects to live off ya. She don’t like it she can find her own way with the dog… an if she continue take dog to shelter where it’ll be cared for properly.

1 Like

Maybe over reacting but the daughter should be respectful and if she can’t be respectful the daughter should move out, her dog, her responsibility and if she isn’t paying rent, not taking care of her dog, if not contributing she needs to go

7 Likes

No. Your not being selfish.
Sounds like someone is entitled

3 Likes

Make her leave. The husband, too…

1 Like

Keep the pooch and toss your brat

3 Likes

I would leave. Hubby isn’t gonna change. You don’t deserve to be disrespected. Hugs and love :heart:

1 Like

Be the PARENT. Not a friend to the adult kid- she needs to grow the fck up and act like an adult not a child anymore​:unamused::woman_facepalming:t4:

But then again spoiled privilege kids get away with anything and everything nowadays
She is how old? She needs to grow up and stop disrespecting you in your house- if she wants keep acting like that show her the door an let it hit her on way out.

I wouldnt let my adult child treat an disrespect me like that- get a job and help pay some rent buy groceries something

3 Likes

She needs an eviction notice asap. You raised her already time for here to stand on her own two feet and grow up. If hubby doesn’t want to support you then he needs to be evicted till such time as he wakes up

2 Likes

This is merely a hunch: Is she suffering from depression, anxiety, or other mental illness? Adult offspring don’t normally decide to move back in with their parents unless they lack other options.

2 Likes

No,you raised her now she needs to grow up,and get out

1 Like

Your child is grown. Serve her with eviction papers if need be.

2 Likes

Time to chuck on those big girl pants and be assertive!

1 Like

Leave, and let your husband deal with her and the dog! You could use a month or two vacation at a friend or relatives! :sweat_smile: I bet it won’t take much time at all before he makes her leave so you will come back! After all, who’s going to cook and clean for him? Doesn’t sound like it’s gonna be her!

5 Likes

I’m sure you’ve discussed this with him , but did he really hear you? Start packing, look for an apartment, and go if necessary.

2 Likes

She’d be out on her ear so fast, it’d make her head swim! You’re helping her and she has the audacity to be ungrateful? Naw, don’t leave your husband over a grown child (unless you want to) Just put your foot down, serve her a 30 day eviction notice, keep the dog and tell your husband, she’s not a little girl anymore WAKE UP!

2 Likes

That’s pretty thoughtless and inconsiderate of you to say that you don’t want your daughter and dog to live with you. Think about what you just wrote!!

7 Likes

I’m sorry, I thought the opening question read “Where can I get great drapes for my new bachelorette pad.” I would be outta there.

5 Likes

Shes a grown ass woman! Tell her to get out! It’s your house too. If your husband doesn’t like it, he can get too.

Shes an adult and still disrespects you? Just NOPE! Tell her she’s got a week to find alternative accommodation and leave it at that. Be assertive.

Maybe just get rid of the dog and show her your not messing around. Arguing isn’t going to help anything. And you don’t want to push your daughter so far that she never wants anything to do with you again.

You’re asking for advice in regards to your entitled adult daughter lol
Ok if you have recieved money from her in the form of rent you have to evict her, don’t lay hands on her otherwise she will have you out of your home, kick her out and once she is out kick him out too he can go and live with his disrespectful daughter!
And then pour yourself a wine hire a male stripper call up the besties and relax in your castle

Keep the dog tell her to leave.

4 Likes

At the end of the day no one has the right to disrespect you in your house! No your adult child and not your husband
Kick it out both dogs

5 Likes

Well now…it seems you have a dilemma…which is quite simple…Pack daughter’s bags give her money for lodging for "1 " month, and if she dosen’t get a job then… to bad…She’s a big girl. As for dear ole Pop’s…unless he grows a pair of balls, and stands up for you…I’d suggest one of two things…either you pack up his shit or yours and don’t look back…

There is nothing wrong with you but your daughter seems lazy and selfish and needs to grow up and assume adult responsibities! But it would be nice to have your husband agree!!!

1 Like

Tell her an the dog to go. It s your house