Am I spending too much?

Let him take it over, write down your budget and when bills are due and let him give it a go!

1 Like

I spend that in week for 2, are you also counting the products to keep everything clean?? Hygiene stuffā€¦

Itā€™s a dude thing. They think theyā€™re better by default. My husband thought the same until he realized he didnā€™t know any of it lol.

2 Likes

Really? I need grocery lessons from you.
I spent $190 yesterday and thatā€™s barely a week worth.

3 Likes

I write financials on a dry erase calendar. Husband sees where the money is going. But heā€™s never questioned me on anything. He trusts me and Iā€™m wondering why your husband doesnā€™t trust you.

4 Likes

Let him take over. Youā€™re just a helper not the man. Hope he doesnā€™t spend the money with someone else

Type out all the finances on an excel spreadsheet talk about it together show him where the money goes, go shopping together. Prices are going up on food. Donā€™t let him take it over do it together. Seek a financial counselor as well as a marriage counselor just to reset and get on the same page.

1 Like

I spend about $150-$200 a week :pleading_face: and sometimes I still for get something ! Your doing fine !

1 Like

I spend $150-200 a week (sometimes more if Iā€™m needing diapers or other toiletries/ cleaning supplies) in groceries for 4 of us but the kids eat breakfast and lunch at school 4 days a week lol. I donā€™t pack my husbandā€™s lunch or buy anything extra for lunchesā€¦ I just make more dinner so he can take leftovers lol. I wish I could get my bills to look like yours!!

Grocery prices are crazy these days. Make sure you write a detailed shopping list or you may not get some things or all generic

Should be fun to see this
Wish my husband would
Iā€™ve tried to get him to.

He said take over the bills not COOK :joy::joy::joy: let him take charge if he thinks he can do a better job and when a bill isnā€™t paid and it costs more he can learnā€¦

1 Like

go luck to him especially whe n it comes to buying groceries

I say let him try. If things get to a point where they get shut off Iā€™d be surprised. Heā€™s going to realize very quickly he messed up. Sit back with your popcorn and watch him sink I say. If he wants to do everything thatā€™s on him, just make sure and remind him it was his choice and not yours when and if he accuses you of doing nothing

5 Likes

If he wants to take on that responsibility, let him. There are two items I would be up front with: You need confirmation that utilities are getting paid. Is there a hidden reason he is doing this? It is good if both parties are able to take over this in the event it ever comes to it where one of you are physically unable to do this work. Better to learn now while it can be discussed as opposed to later. My husband took over grocery shopping when he retired from his work (Iā€™m 5 years younger) and he still keeps up with it even though I am retired now too. I do get a grocery list started, but he is responsible for having food here to make evening meals (we have 4 in this household). There are some items that never make the weekly list because I still want to buy my own toiletries, laundry detergent, etc. Your electric bill does seem high, but I assume you have Consumers Energy, which is expensive. You do a wonderful job with how much (or little) you spend on groceries. Good luck.

My husband and I do grocery lists together then I go shopping also you could add his email for the bill invoices to go to both emails if thatā€™s how you get it if not get a binder and put all paper invoices into the binder with receipts keep every one you get even if itā€™s just for milk or a loaf of bread then once a week sit down and go over everything together
Make it a joint job / something you guys can do together when the kids go to bed

Or you can hand over all the bill invoices to him and let him do all the grocery shopping if thatā€™s what he wants to do or give him all the bills ask him if he wants to do groceries together

it takes one stress/thing off of your plate if he wants to take it off your plate let him

You guys are a team donā€™t let it be a fight or argument something like this isnā€™t worth it and it would actually help you in the long run so you can focus on yourself the kids and your house

Look at it like he wants to help rather then you are not doing a good job itā€™s all about the way you think about it and if you look at it like a negative thing itā€™s going to cause problems which really is it worth it does it really matter who pays the bills and goes grocery shopping no it doesnā€™t

Let him do itā€¦ less stress for you. But I bet he gives that back to you. Mine wanted that headache he didnā€™t want it for long.

2 Likes

Let him do it. My husband did same
Thing and after said oh. Why is everything so expensive now :joy:

Just hand it over. I am sure he will be handing it all back to you with in the month. Let him see how good you are at making it work.

2 Likes

Never hand your paycheck over to a man! You give away your power!

1 Like

Write down your budget and say to him that u will give him 2 weeks to see if he can some how save u guys some money. Also tell him he can buy the groceries forv2 weeks but he has to cook meals for 2 weeks as well since he is the one choosing which items to buy. I think many hubbyā€™s or partner often think we overspend but once they have to pay the bills and buy groceries many quickly realise it isnā€™t that easy. Its also how some men or women without children seem to think SAHMā€™s have the easiest job in the world until they have to do it for a couple days. They are usually pretty quick to apologize & pretty much kiss your ass :rofl::rofl:

I say let him. Watch him, but let him !!!

2 Likes

If you can spend 218. And feed a family Iā€™d love to hear your cheap dinner ideas! Cuz my grocery bill is ridiculous now!

7 Likes

Just give him a try. Say 3 months. Sounds like your doing well yourself I dont think he could beat the food bill thoā€¦he will probably be glad to give it back to youā€¦

2 Likes

That price for meals Is not badā€¦ We spend about $400 ish every 2 weeks for 4. That includes meals, drinks, snacks and food for my husband at work (he has 12 hours shifts).

3 Likes

I spend over a $1000.00 a month on groceries and I donā€™t make 3 meals a day you are doing great with spending less then $500.00 a month my ex husband took over the bills and we ended up having to claim bankruptcy

1 Like

This is why I started my own mom side business I hated counting every penny and getting questioned now I work from home , I have a beauty spa and I homeschool too

If you married a fool you donā€™t trust the mistake was the wedding.

1 Like

I donā€™t think youā€™re spending much at all. My partner, myself, and our 1 year old probably spend 100 a week on groceries. Thatā€™s 3 gallons of milk, a few easy snacks like chicken nuggets for our son, potatoes and onions for us all to eat, and diapers. (Not the healthiest ik but moneys tight and itā€™s what we found is the most filling for our extremely tight budget) we never get any soda or juice, my partner works a job where he does get some food given to us at the end of each night, so we have our meat from that. Our gas isnā€™t nearly that much but thatā€™s because my partner walks to work most days and we only go out driving 2 days in 2 weeks during normal weeks.
Iā€™d say the same that everyone else is saying. Let him do it for a bit and heā€™ll realize there arenā€™t many ways if any that you can cut costs. Unless he wants to go hungry during his shiftsšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

1 Like

He better be 100% on it or Iā€™d absolutely ruin him if stuff got cut off.

Just tell him all these ladies here saying we spend waaay more on groceries and then heā€™ll see. For real thatā€™s really good spending. Weā€™re a family of 6 and I spend 300 a week or more a week

3 Likes

Girl, teach me your ways. We spend close to $700/months for 3 people. Lately we have been getting way less food for what we pay, even hitting the sales and couponing.

3 Likes

Take him grocery shopping with you. Once he sees prices there he will realize pretty how well your doing.

2 Likes

Most men dont realize how many bills come into the house

I budget groceries for a month for $300. $150 every paycheck. That is for 2 adults and 2 kids (2 & 4).

Our grocery/household needs budget is $1000 a month for a family of 3. Sometimes we donā€™t utilize it all but thatā€™s what we budget forā€¦ Youā€™re killing it, girl. You definitely know how to budget better than I do. :joy:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve listened to my in-laws squabble over grocery costs over the years though. My FIL works full time and my MIL is a SAHM. He never goes grocery shopping and just assumed prices were still like the early 2000ā€™s. Maybe make grocery shopping a family trip so he can see first hand what prices look like?

3 Likes

In my experience they want to ask but never can handle it and get ass hurt when u let them and shit starts getting turned off ā€¦ I stopped gaf and when WiFi get turned off he pulls out his debit card and says shit here Iā€™m sorry I forgot

Please give an update. I am interested in how it goes lol

9 Likes

If he thinks that you spend too much on groceries, then just give him the money for the grocery budget and give him about 2 months to see if he can do better than you are doing. I know how this ends.Please come back to update usšŸ˜‰

4 Likes

Let him figure it outšŸ¤£

1 Like

$218 for groceries sounds reasonable, if not a bit high. I spend about $150 per week to feed 8 people (2 kids, 5 adults)
Those other bills are crazy though! Around hereā€¦
Water $25 per month
Hydro $120 per month
Gas $140 winter, maybe $30 summer
Trash pickup is free, 2 bags per week. I pay property tax to the city for that.

I think this is hilarious,
Please update us on the progress.
I hope he eats his words.

3 Likes

We spend 150 every two weeks week for four people thatā€™s only food though usually the total bill is 200-230

Let him take it over. Heā€™ll figure it out.

Time will tell ! But if thatā€™s all you pay for groceries he wouldnā€™t like my weekly grocery bill with meat is $240 -$250. For four people.Something tells me youā€™ll still do the cooking

1 Like

Please update on this , I gotta know if he kisses your ass when he realizes he has no clue what he is doingā€¦

You have done great job!! ā€¦ tell him; sit down, relax and drink more! You really got this!!.. mine is almost simillarā€¦ in other side of this worldā€¦(Malaysia).

Sounds like my ex husbandā€¦.ex husband

1 Like

Yea my husband tried this, it lasted 1 month. It was the grocery bill that did him In.

This is the first stage of coercive control. Be very careful, because you may find yourself being controlled in other ways

A definite red flag.