Am I the only one that does not enjoy being a mom?

Feeling like a bad mom lately. Am I the only one that doesn’t really enjoy being a mom? Like, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. People always said ”it’s the greatest feeling in the entire world, it will change your life.” Ok yeah, sure, it changed my life, but I’m not sure it’s for the better. I miss my old life. I miss the freedom, my independence. I can’t possibly be the only one that feels this way, right? Is there something wrong with me??

35 Likes

I love being a mom. It’s the hardest yet most rewarding job. … just because u love ur babies doesn’t mean it’s going to b easy. I don’t know what u miss about ur “old life” but if it’s having freedom to go places w friends trust me those ppl will never love u as much as ur kids. Ur kids are the best love :heartpulse: pour ur efforts in them. Make them ur friends :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: watch movies, bake , or do any activity w them…

7 Likes

There is nothing wrong with you. This is without a doubt the toughest job in the world. I raised 2 step sons from toddler age and I thought when I had my daughter I’d be prepared. It was a whole new struggle. I actually mourned the loss of my old life even though I love her to pieces. My husband and I don’t really have help so we didn’t have the option of having someone take the kids for a night. But we would give each other little breaks when we could…eventually they became our BEST friends. They are our whole team. Would not change it for anything. I had terrible post partum depression and ended up needing some meds eventually but still, wouldn’t change it. Hang in there Mama. This is a tough season but ever-changing. :heartpulse:

4 Likes

Being a mom is hard and it requires A LOT of sacrifices but it also comes with immeasurable rewards. If you have no one near maybe try connecting with a Mom group or church group even a daycare drop off one day a week. You can do this you just need to find some helpful resources to help you help yourself. Wishing you all the luck!

Everyone has their ups and downs. Becoming a parent is completely life changing. Especially when kiddos are at a tough age or time in their lives. Always make time for yourself whether it’s alone time, girl time, or mom and dad time. It happens, if it’s to the point where you feel post partum depression or pycosis please seek professional help. Good luck❤️

1 Like

How old is your child? Different people enjoy different stages of of parenting. Some people struggle with the toddler years, some with the teen years. For me, the newborn stage was by far the most difficult. Of course both of mine were high maintenance babies. :crazy_face: If you’re a new mom, just hold on, it will get better. If they’re in their teens and you’re still not having fun, well, you still have hope for the parenting adult children stage.

4 Likes

Ask for help. Your husband or mother or best friend.
Let them know how you’re feeling and see if they can offer some relief.
I have 4 kids from 4-18 and it’s definitely not all roses and rainbows! Try focusing on the good stuff and when it gets hard remind yourself that this too shall pass. If it gets really hard, try a therapist. Good luck mama.

I have a 18,16,14,11 year old daughters and now a 7 month old son!!! I feel ya whole heartedly… I love my kids and I’m so in love with my son but I do miss my freedom especially now that I’m a new mommy again… maybe try therapy and/or make time for yourself atleast once a week where u can have some time for yourself even if it’s for a couple hours… sending u lots of positive and happy vibes💕 being a mom Is my greatest pride and at times brings me the heaviest of hearts. Now that my girls are teens I just wish they were little again lol Try and be in the present moment it makes a whole lot of difference

I feel like that at times bc after everything i did for my oldest she is up her dad & stepmoms a$$ & I have not seen my first grandchild born in November bc she hurt my feelings i got mad popped off later apologized but she still didnt call or text the day she had him. I found out that afternoon from my office staff. Then my youngest 2 (different dad than oldest) I do everything myself, i pay for everything, take them to school every day pick them up every day, they play varsity basketball, jv softvall, varsity softball, travel softball, and summer softball and i do all the running for that and we play 4-6 hours away for travel normally. I just bought my 15 year old a car for when she turns 16 bc i got a great deal. I work 2 jobs, have 13 rental properties, & cows. Im in 2 hunting clubs & never stepped foot on either one last year and this year just started hunting half way through deer season. This momma stays tired.

You will always miss that freedom. But that’s why it’d important to focus on you too not just being a mom. We tend to lose ourselves when becoming a parent. And these are normal feelings although I’d probably make sure your not starting issues with depression it creeps up on you

1 Like

Absolutely not. Not everyone’s kids are created equal. I have two of my three (twins) that have pushed me to my limit at times. I can think of more hard days than easy ones. Hang in there

1 Like

We should normalize not being the perfect mom who has to be enamored with the huge responsibilities that motherhood brings. There are some moms who have kid after kid and they are fine and truly enjoy being a mom and when you see her you feel she’s in her element and that’s great. And then there’s also that other mom who has a couple kids or even just one and is freaking out over lunch because they spilled their soda. And that’s ok and there’s also mothers who are a little bit of both some days more so than others and that’s ok because our children are taken care of regardless of what kind of mom we are.

It’s ok to not always enjoy motherhood. It’s a lot of giving and self sacrifice and can seem unending. But this feeling is not forever, especially when your kids get older.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to make a post like this but I was afraid people would be rude. I love my son but I also don’t like being a mom and I feel terrible for it. I miss being able to do things whenever I want or need to and I don’t have any help with him so I never get to get out or go on dates or meet people so I just work and stay at home. But it is what it is. You’re definitely not alone girl.

It gets easier as they get older.

But being a parent is repetitive and boring at times.
Everything become so much more difficult.

I miss having the freedom to just do what I want. Or even just leave the house to go meet friends whenever I want by myself.

But it won’t be forever.

So no one has said it yet but there is nothing wrong with you. Being a mom is a lot and I understand missing your freedom, like being able to go poop alone. Having support is key. I’d say if you can find the thing that makes you feel like you. It may even just be something simple like having a cup of coffee by yourself. Kids don’t need to be your whole world.

Stop beating yourself up. Being a mom is a rough job. It’s not what you see on TV. No 7/24 rainbows and sunshine. It’s flipping hard. Raising kids today is completely different from how we were raised. Talk with a therapist and get support from hubby, grandma, grandpa.

Sounds like you have kids under age 4…it gets better. Accepting that this is life & making the most of it helps.

There’s a variety of things to factor into this honestly. But pretty much all boil down to, please seek out a therapist. It doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with you but you’re obviously stressed. If you have a young child it could be ppd and that can set in months after. Do you get enough you time, if you do then do you use it in a way to actually benefit your mental health and I say that because if you have time but you don’t use it to give yourself what you need, wither it’s quiet or a night out or time to have a long bath etc. But if you are getting any of those things and STILL resent your children you need to talk to someone. You’re not wrong regardless to feel what you do. Some people think they can handle being a parent and learn they can’t. The biggest thing is to resort ALL options, explore all reasons why you may feel this way before deciding you no longer want to be a parent. Do you really miss that life or aspects of it?

There’s nothing wrong with you and congratulations for being self aware.
It’s not going to last forever and it’s ever changing. So try try try not to completely sabotage your kids childhoods.
You will have a chance to once again be your own captain however they will never be kids again.

You should consider how blessed you are to have them, a lot of people can’t have kids . If their a burden to you your the problem.

16 Likes

It’s OK,you’re feeling overwhelmed.

Do u have a partner or supprt system? Mom friends siblings that would watch the baby for one night or weekend? U might not not like it u just might need to feel like urself again or get some time away from being a mom bcuz I felt that way but when I got out like I used to I was so ready to be home and be a mom again. Lol

1 Like

Everyone has ups and downs. Even when people say “get a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life” it’s not totally correct. I LOVE gymnastics and I had multiple jobs teaching it. I loved teaching it and also getting to practice my skills. There were still some days I didn’t feel like going to work lol. This too shall pass :black_heart:

When I get that way I know it’s time to take a step back and a time out. I ask someone to take my daughter or a day or a night so I can do things I enjoy and catch up and just relax and reset and it helps so so much for us to enjoy each other and my role as a wife mom and employee and business owner.

Life gets so overwhelming at times and it’s ok to say I need to step back and reset to be the best you can be

10 Likes

It’s normal to feel overwhelmed especially stay at home mom. I get it

We all feel like that sometimes

Think you have depression young lady. Go to doctors

Is there any family or friends that can give you breaks from time to time, I think always being around your kids and never getting a break can play a role in how you’re feeling. People who don’t have a good support system or no support system often get burnt out faster.

On the dad side of it I was just like her

When you have kids , your life is not about you anymore, you have to consider everyone’s needs, not just yours

i think this all the time… im a single mom of 5 and cant wait to be able to get an rv and just disappear when all the kids r grown… some days are better than other… ur not alone…

Wow…I feel sorry for your kids…hope they have someone there for them😪

A bad mom won’t question if they are a bad mom. You need to find time for self care. You are feeling this way because you have lost yourself in just being mom. You can still have all the things you miss about your old life, you just have to MAKE the time to do them. Give yourself a break from “mom” mode, because you are sooo much more than being a mom.

How old are your children could you be depressed or over whelmed or need a break maybe x

1 Like

One piece of advice that I always tell myself. Bad moms don’t wonder or ask if they are bad moms.

Nothing wrong with u at all :heart:

1 Like

I can’t relate to what you said because I do enjoy being a mother. No it’s not all cracked up to be it’s taking responsibility for another human that is your child. it has changed my life for the better, even though my son can be a pain and doesn’t listen sometimes but we show him love and affection we teach him right from wrong and also discipline, If your having these feeling I would reach out to someone. It also takes a lot of patience! Prayers for you.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with you. A lot of moms deal with this. I’d say it’s a normal feeling to miss your life before it revolved around someone else. I’ve gone through it over the last 13 years. It is life changing, and it has its ups and downs. You’re not a bad mom, sounds like you just need some alone time to rediscover yourself as a person. <3 Have someone watch your kiddo(s) and take some time for just you, if possible. If not; once the kiddos go to bed do something for YOURSELF; not cleaning or dealing with kid stuff, but pick up an old hobby or start up one that you’ve been interested in but didn’t think you had the time. Make time for YOU.

I love my kids but yes i do miss being able to do what I want when I want. But as I have gotten older the hubby and I enjoy being home most of the time.

I totally get you and I feel like that sometimes. It’s like you cease to exist. I love them, and I wouldn’t return them :rofl::joy: but it is hard. Take time off, try to have some me time. Good luck!