Anyone deal with headaches after giving birth?

I had baby #3 Jan 3rd. I recently started getting really bad all over head aches but they’re usually focused at the front of my head/forehead. They started about 2-3 weeks ago, always around the same time; late lunch. I’ve tried Tylenol and Ibuprofen, it’ll ease it off for a little while then it’ll come back a little while later. I’ve tried eating a snack, drinking more water, and even caffeine (I’m a coffee drinker). Nothing helps!

3 Likes

Are you getting enough sleep? Definitely see a doctor to check what’s up, but lack of sleep leaves me with a nasty headache. Also this time of year is giving me pressure in my head, presumably sinus pressure. Definitely check it out though!

I had severe migraines, from my spinal before C-section. They couldn’t get it right and I suffered from spinal fluid leaks which caused the migraines… I am so sorry I hope that’s not what you have but laying down when they started getting so bad seemed to help along with warm compresses on the back of my neck. Prayers for you.

Did you get a spinal block or epidural as both can cause severe headaches/migraines after the fact. I would definitely put a call in to OB DR as you could be leaking spinal fluid from block/epidural.

How has your BP during pregnancy? There is a thing cause post preeclampsia that can happen after birth where your Blood pressure sky rockets. I suggest checking blood pressure a couple or times to rule it out. Also, if you had a epidural/ spinal can also cause headaches… blood patches can fix those up. If it’s becoming an issue and interfering with life and routine definitely recommend a follow up appointment with primary provider, and if anything they can refer you to a neurologist to further investigate as to why your having these headaches. Also keep in mind your hormones are going crazy and your losing sleep which both cause also cause headaches as well especially if your a super sensitive person.

2 Likes

I had something similar after I had my second baby 12 years ago. Although for me it felt like there was a rubber band around my head and literally felt like the top and bottom were separated. Worst feeling ever! I finally was seen by a doctor in neurology where they gave me some kind of iv medication that took like an hour or so and never had another headache like that again. Worked wonders! The only thing that I can pinpoint was having an epidural and maybe that was a side effect. If it doesn’t get better for you I would highly suggest seeing a doctor (neurologist if possible.)

You may need a Blood patch if you had a spinal or epidural. Sometimes there is a leak and the pain doesn’t go away until the Doctor does a blood patch to stop the leak. Caffeine like coffee or coke will help some. Ask for pain meds. But medicine may interfere if your breastfeeding. We don’t want the baby to get high.

Spinal headaches. It’s normal

You’ll have a headache til they leave home :laughing: