Anyone else despise taking their toddler out?

Please tell me I’m not alone when I say I do not like taking my 17 month old anywhere because she acts crazy and throws tantrums everywhere, and runs away and pulls all types of shenanigans that she would NEVER do at home or even with her daycare… she’s a social baby too- generally very easy demeanor- goes to daycare daily throughout the week while I work full time (unfortunately) but taking her anywhere now, even just out to eat or to a store- is a total nightmare. Please just tell me this is normal behavior, and that it will get better. I feel like I’m getting PTSD even taking her into the store these days . It truly discourages me from leaving the house and it wasn’t always like this- before she was extremely mobile she was easily entertained etc but now nothing is good enough and I can never seem to calm her down or figure out why she is even upset.

9 Likes

Try getting her some kids over the ear headphones and playing music for her. A lot of time kids get overstimulated when out in public places. The cancellation of outside noise and the distraction of soothing kids music could help.

My best advice is push through… i took both girls 1 an angel 1 who would laugh in the fsce of danger and i absolutely dreaded taken out lol but it gets better stick to your guns & continue as always :muscle: xxx

The closer to two the crazier :sweat_smile:

I’m currently still going thru this with my son. He is 5yrs old but started around the same time.

My son was like this round 2. We started doing weekly dates enforcing sitting down while eating. Did shopping after and he’d get 1 toy if he sat well during dinner. Now it’s one of our favorite mom son activities

Push through and stay firm. We never had an issue, but my nephew will definitely try to test the limits and the first few times when he realized I wasn’t going to cave in or allow it….It definitely got better. 

It’s all about teaching what your expectations and what proper public behaviors are even from this young age. The more you take them and teach them the easier it gets but the longer you wait the harder it will be. It’s rough and a struggle for awhile and you may have to remove the child to a bathroom/outside more often than you care to redirect when you first start but it will get easier.

1 Like

Me with my 3 year old :raising_hand_woman:t3:

I had a kid like this. At 11 it’s about the same :joy:

1 Like

I suggest taking the little one out to an indoor playground, so she can have fun while you socialize with other moms in the area and watch her.

She’s getting her vibes from you. Relax and try to have fun with her. You are the adult. You set the mood.

2 Likes

She’s learning. Just love her and be steady

1 Like

You’re not alone! My favorite is when everyone looks at you like you were the one making screechy noises. :rofl::rofl::roll_eyes:

1 Like

You can take a perfectly good child out in public, and a metamorphosis takes place. Bring holy water, and don’t sprinkle lightly.

Not sure if this is helpful, but most chain stores and restaurants have curbside pickup now. Perhaps you can utilize those services to minimize your having to go inside.

Yes. Except I had twins. It doesn’t last long.

1 Like

Hang in there mama.
This is a phase and of course, will pass.
Keep doing whatever it is that you need to do.
If you wanna stay home? Do it.
Have someone offer help? Take it.
Gotta go out? Get through it.
It’s ok to admit that although we love our kids more than anything, we hate certain aspects of parenting.
You’re not alone.

1 Like

Probably is the fact she doesn’t see you as often that she acts out as she wants attention, I would say it’s a phase but it can last till they are 4yo. She just wants to get all the excitement out when she spends time with mom. Try having a going out routine. Perhaps park or a couple dances before leaving to tire her out and some rules to be able to go out could work, tho you really can’t reason with them at that age. :grimacing:

You have to take them out more and establish what is okay and what isn’t. I had a ton of bad trips with my son, but he eventually grew out of it. Parks are really the way to go to start with public stuff.

2 Likes

My youngest is 2 and I hate taking her anywhere. She’s great at the dr., in the store ect. She’s a straight butt when you put her in the car to leave. She will scream, cry and kick. I have anxiety and I can’t hang lol.

Be sure she gets lots of physical activity beforehand. Also I did my grocery shopping after kids went to bed (and grateful we had late- and all-night grocery stores at the time). Keep reinforcing good behavior and also letting her engage in activities to let off steam. But I don’t think we had a full meal out in the evening at a sit-down restaurant until my son was in elementary school! :smile:

I would take him to a “fancy restaurant” in the middle of the afternoon when it wasn’t busy. We would practice with napkins, silverware, not spilling, having quiet conversation. He would put on a button down or polo shirt, pants, a little jacket and a little clip-on tie to be “fancy” (from church/holiday outfits he had). Too cute! And it signaled he had to be on good behavior. We might take 10 different times to walk around a bit and look at things while waiting for some food to come or when he needed a wiggle break. Hotel restaurants are great for this.

Reinforce good manners at the dinner table at home by asking questions vs. demands: how do we sit at the table? Do we use indoor or outdoor voices when eating? What is something fun or interesting you can tell us? Can you wait until (name) is finished talking before you talk? How do big girls ask for more food? Etc. They feel smart knowing the right answers and are more likely to embody them.

Girl it’s normal. Just terrible 2s. She will grow out of it. Just do your best to be patient and model good behavior. When your out and about be sure it’s not during a usual nap time. Try to do things at the same time during outings so she knows wat to expect ( ie: grocery shopping is at 1pm on Sunday, eating out is reserved for 5pm on Fridays ect.) So you can plan ahead. You already know she’s going to exhibit those types of behaviors so use your knowledge and ignore the bad ones and reward the good ones. Even if she’s only sitting quietly for 5 seconds, reward her. It won’t happen overnight but you will see the difference soon. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor

1 Like

Shouldn’t be able to run. You should be holding her hand or putting in cart.

1 Like

Just got back from a restaurant, what I was thinking I have no idea! We ended up leaving with food in a bag bc my 3 year old was running crazy and smearing her hands all over the floor.

1 Like

Possibly over stimulation? Theres ALOT going on in a supermarket. Our local coles do a quiet hour weekly, you’ll haveto look up your local centers. No music, dimmer lights etc

2 Likes

Welcome to the terrible 2 s

1 Like